• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe or Timmy...Best Player of their Generation?

Best player from their generation? Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

• Total voters

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL really? Is this even a question?

Tim Duncan hands down. Kobe is the definition over an overrated ball hog Jordan wannabe who didn't do jack crap until the best Laker player of this generation (Shaq) came to LA.

Kobe... lmao. The fact I'm even seeing Jordan and Kobe articles is pathetic. NBA just trying to hype up their otherwise pathetic sport that died in the 90s when the league pussified defense.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lifelong fan of Kobe here, and I'd say based on consistency and overall success that Duncan has the better legacy. He's still playing great today, something Kobe can't say because of the wear and tear on his body. If we're talking better player then I'd probably say Kobe, I don't think Duncan could singlehandedly take over a game at the same level that Kobe could but that's merely because they are 2 different players, 2 different positions and 2 different styles of play. It's not Duncan's fault if he experienced more consistent success because his organization is better run.

Better player - Kobe
Better legacy - Duncan

I voted for Duncan because "best player of their generation" to me equates to the legacy they leave behind. I say Kobe is the better player because I think it'd be kind of ridiculous to choose prime Duncan over prime Kobe because prime Kobe could win you the game all by himself, regardless of what his teammates do. But that's just my personal opinion.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9c0589c6cc065d36b3aff713a8142342.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Kobe was the best player of his generation (which he's not) I still wouldn't vote for him!:D

CELTICS IN SEVEN!!!

:trash:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lifelong fan of Kobe here, and I'd say based on consistency and overall success that Duncan has the better legacy. He's still playing great today, something Kobe can't say because of the wear and tear on his body. If we're talking better player then I'd probably say Kobe, I don't think Duncan could singlehandedly take over a game at the same level that Kobe could but that's merely because they are 2 different players, 2 different positions and 2 different styles of play. It's not Duncan's fault if he experienced more consistent success because his organization is better run.

Better player - Kobe
Better legacy - Duncan

I voted for Duncan because "best player of their generation" to me equates to the legacy they leave behind. I say Kobe is the better player because I think it'd be kind of ridiculous to choose prime Duncan over prime Kobe because prime Kobe could win you the game all by himself, regardless of what his teammates do. But that's just my personal opinion.

Fair points, but it also sums up why Duncan is winning this poll. Duncan would never try to win a game singlehandedly. Kobe takes way to much upon himself.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points, but it also sums up why Duncan is winning this poll. Duncan would never try to win a game singlehandedly. Kobe takes way to much upon himself.

Good point. Timmy is a calming influence on an entire organization. The other big difference is defense. Even if Kobe is the better offensive player, Timmy more than makes up for this with his defense. The advanced statistics also favor Timmy. Really the only reason that this is a question is because Kobe is the much more popular player and plays in L.A compared to a quite guy in Duncan who plays in San Antonio. Like someone said earlier, Kobe moves the needle. Kobe probably wins this poll in the general public, but with us knowledgeable SportsHoopla fans, I think that the majority here have it right.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair, Kobe has also had far more times in his career where him winning the game singlehandedly was the only way the win was going to happen than Duncan has.

Believe me, as a lifelong Lakers fan, there have been plenty of times where I've found my self screaming "Stop fucking shooting Kobe" at my tv.

But there have been a lot more times where I've been stunned silent by what he's been able to do to get the Lakers a win.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Kobe is the better offensive player, Timmy more than makes up for this with his defense.

You do know that Kobe has been on the NBA all defensive 1st team 9 times and the all defensive 2nd team 3 times, right?

Timmy has been all defensive 1st team 8 times and 2nd team 7 times.

Plus, because their positions are so different, you can't really compare defensive impact.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that Kobe has been on the NBA all defensive 1st team 9 times and the all defensive 2nd team 3 times, right?

Timmy has been all defensive 1st team 8 times and 2nd team 7 times.

Plus, because their positions are so different, you can't really compare defensive impact.

I'm aware that Kobe's got picked for all defensive team many times, but nevertheless, Duncan is clearly the much greater defensive player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware that Kobe's got picked for all defensive team many times, but nevertheless, Duncan is clearly the much greater defensive player.

By what comparison? How do you compare a center/power forward to a shooting guard defensively? They are completely different positions that require completely different defensive skill sets.

Not sure how you can say one is better than the other given that there really isn't a good way to compare. It's like saying oranges are better than tomatoes.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe.

Timmy wouldn't have had half the career he's had without Popovich all this time. Argue that Kobe had Phil, but he's also had Del Harris, Mike Brown, D'antoni and Byron.

If Kobe had Pop on the Lakers his entire career and he'd probably be fighting MJ for top spot in the GOAT discussions.

So MJ wouldn't have had half the career with Phil also...got it :L

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy is by far the better teammate and as far as winning they both have 5 titles but Timmy won consistently throughout his whole career. It's a close one, but Timmy really made it about the team and did it successfully.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim won with many different cast, Kobe didn't.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim won with many different cast, Kobe didn't.

Kobe won with 2 different casts. More or less, I'd say Tim did the same. If he wins this year -- I'd give him a 3rd cast. (but he'd be a complementary guy instead of the main guy -- which Kobe was in every championship. These Spurs are stacked. )

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By what comparison? How do you compare a center/power forward to a shooting guard defensively? They are completely different positions that require completely different defensive skill sets.

Not sure how you can say one is better than the other given that there really isn't a good way to compare. It's like saying oranges are better than tomatoes.

They don't need to play the same position for you to see that Timmy has a greater impact defensively than Kobe. Bottom line is that Timmy does more to impede the other team from scoring points. He has a career defensive rating of 96. If there's one thing I'm sure of in comparing Kobe and Duncan, it's that Duncan is the greater defensive player.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, I think you can. Duncan has played PF and C his entire career. The center is the anchor of a team's defense and the most important defender on the court. in fact, many of the best centers in the game today are defense and dunk players. The competition for big men to earn defensive accolades is much stiffer than it is for guards. Kobe was pretty damn good defensively for about half his career though.

While you can't directly compare, I do think it is fair to say Duncan has had a greater impact defensively simply because he is big.