• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

coaching legacy question

Of the final 8 coaches, who's legacy is changed the most with a SB win.

• Total voters

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I saw this on Rich Eisen's show and thought it was an interesting question. Which coach out of the final eight changes his legacy the most with a SB victory this season. Not saying most of these guys have much of a chance but as a hypothetical, it's just interesting.
For me , it comes down to McCarthy and Pederson. Mccarthy would forever change the narrative on him having taken two of the most storied franchises to the promise land and not just because he had a HOF QB one time. But Doug P would first take a back-up QB and beat Brady and Belichick head to head for Philly's first ever SB, then would take a franchise that has always been somewhat inconsistent aside from a couple of mini runs to the promised land coming off of back to back last in the league finishes. Not only that, Pederson would have to do it by going into KC and knocking off the first ballot HOF coach Reid and then either the highly touted Bills or Bengals and follow that up with a win over one of two juggernauts in San Fran or Philly possibly.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Nick. He has the most to gain.

Doug Pederson is already a great coach and always has been for anyone paying attention.

Shanahan, makes sense too. He's been a very good coach, but curls up in big moments. A win would change that.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all but andy reid hes already a HOFer:suds:

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several of these guys are young enough, and in first stints, or early enough in their careers it's really hard to project out where they will be in 5-10+ years. I feel like several coaches on this list could move on in a few years, still be HC's somewhere else and win - and it likely wouldn't do anything to their "legacy" that their current stint didn't work out. Hell, in Taylor's case - he took the FREAKING BENGALS to a super bowl....he's a winner already - even though they didn't win it all last year.

AR is a HOF coach - so...he's out.

I'd have to likely agree with OP that McCarthy would seem to have the most to gain. He's at the middle point of his career where he won a SB in GB, but then flamed out....ends up in Dallas, who has notoriously struggled in the playoffs both before and with McCarthy - if he would somehow pull off the SB run here and win it all - I think that would go a long way to excising some of those failures/demons - because if he fails in Dallas and eventually is gone from there - not sure where he goes next or if it's even as a HC. And if he has to go somewhere as an OC for a bit - how much longer before he gets another shot - and likely that means the team he takes over is another losing franchise - how much more time does he actually have to rebound?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy seems like a pretty easy pick.

Taylor, McDermott and Pederson will probably be judged more on how they sustain and build on what they have.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all but andy reid hes already a HOFer:suds:
funny. I picked Andy Reid.
If he wins another Superbowl, I think it changes from a HOFer to be in the conversation of the greatest coaches.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McDermott wins he'll be solidified as one of the best modern coaches. By elevating a franchise from a playoff drought to the promised land is something you see in the movies.

Shanahan would no doubt be a HOF'er. Like Andy Reid he's an offensive genius but could never win the big one. By getting the monkey off his back he would leave no doubt as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Taylor; see McDermott.

Pederson, would be the first coach to win a Superbowl with two different teams and providing them with their first one ever.

Sirianni has the best team in the league and takes them all the way to the promised land will always make a coach a hot commodity and seen as an elite coach period.

Reid will just another feather in his cap but he's already seen as an all time great since finally winning a championship.

I don't see DaBoll winning it this year or McCarthy winning another one again.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy because he would be the only HC of 2 different super bowl winning teams
I also said McCarthy because people say he was a product of Rodgers, but he hasn't had post-season success w/o Mike. Pederson would be another 2 team SB winner

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's definitely McCarthy. People have been talking about him being fired all last offseason. And he's never given any credit for his work in GB because people think he should have done more with a prime Aaron Rodgers. Winning with the Cowboys would really change perceptions of him.

Shanahan has to be up there because he has been in the spotlight for over a decade - Being a high profile coordinator of a HOF coach will do that. Couple his name and experience with some unfortunate blown leads and there are whispers about his abilities in big spots. A SB changes that.

Sirianni, Dabol, and McDermott will be thought of as top 10 NFL coaches next season regardless of what happens this weekend.

Taylor will never get the credit he deserves unless he coaches somewhere after Burrow is finished with his career. Though it's not fair, it's hard to ignore what the team was before Burrow and what they have become after Burrow.