• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe just retired lol

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I loved me some Eddie Jones. So the Lakers trading him to acquire some 17 year old high school punk that I had never heard of, pissed me off (although signing Shaq a short while later helped). Especially since, at the time, there had been no guards who made the jump from high school to the NBA. The only thing that made me even consider that it was anything but a colossal fuck up was that Jerry West was so high on the kid.

They traded Eddie for Glenn Rice. One reason Kobe didn't start his first couple of season was that they had Eddie. One of my favorite Lakers. Smooth athleticism.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it'll be one of those things where an extended period of rest for his legs will give him some confidence to come back once he's rested up. He's one of the most competitive people out there, if he feels rejuvenated in any way I think we'll see him back out there.

I seriously doubt it. He has said that he's a Laker for life, so I doubt he'd go to another team and I don't see the Lakers agreeing to bring him back. You also have to consider his ego. He would have to accept a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce type role. He has said he'd never accept being a 10-12 points a game role player.

Like I posted earlier, if we see him play again, it will likely be Italy or the old dudes league that's in the works.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it'll be one of those things where an extended period of rest for his legs will give him some confidence to come back once he's rested up. He's one of the most competitive people out there, if he feels rejuvenated in any way I think we'll see him back out there.

He pretty much had that extended period of rest with the recent injuries. His body simply can't handle the pro game anymore and he finally realizes that now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded Eddie for Glenn Rice. One reason Kobe didn't start his first couple of season was that they had Eddie. One of my favorite Lakers. Smooth athleticism.

:doh: That's right. Forgot about that. Part of why I never liked Glen Rice. Wasn't real fond of them letting Jones go either way.

Plus, it was still Kobe's fault. They had to trade Eddie to make room for Kobe to start. :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: That's right. Forgot about that. Part of why I never liked Glen Rice. Wasn't real fond of them letting Jones go either way.

Plus, it was still Kobe's fault. They had to trade Eddie to make room for Kobe to start. :lol:

I did not like the trade at all. I've always wondered how Phil might have used Kobe and Eddie together. Phil likes big guards. The perimeter defense with those two on the court together would have been sick.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously doubt it. He has said that he's a Laker for life, so I doubt he'd go to another team and I don't see the Lakers agreeing to bring him back. You also have to consider his ego. He would have to accept a Ray Allen, Paul Pierce type role. He has said he'd never accept being a 10-12 points a game role player.

Like I posted earlier, if we see him play again, it will likely be Italy or the old dudes league that's in the works.

Both very good points, it's just going to be weird to have an NBA without him. Once Duncan, Dirk, KG, Pierce, etc. all go out too that entire generation (including Nash, Allen, Shaq, AI, T-Mac, etc.) of stars is pretty much done.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both very good points, it's just going to be weird to have an NBA without him. Once Duncan, Dirk, KG, Pierce, etc. all go out too that entire generation (including Nash, Allen, Shaq, AI, T-Mac, etc.) of stars is pretty much done.

It sucks, but it happens. I've been an avid sports fan for 45+ years and have seen a lot of all time greats come and go.

Just in the NBA with the Lakers I saw them go from Wilt and West to Kareem and Magic to Shaq and Kobe to Pau and Kobe and now to the end of Kobe and whatever is to come in the years ahead.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers signed him for the checks he brings in. At what point did I say Kobe was adding anything to team chemistry? You making shit up now because you were wrong and got called on it?

How was it supposed to be "obvious?" It wasn't nagging or recurring injuries, it was a different injury. His last frame of reference was a season in which he played at a very high level. The only way for him to know that he had nothing left was to go out and try one more time. 16 games in, he realizes that his body is done. That's actually about 50 games sooner than I thought it would take him.

Hopefully, now that playing beyond this year is off the table, he can kind of relax (as much as a guy like Kobe ever relaxes). What will be interesting will be to see if he can just concentrate more on mentoring the young guys or if he'll spend the season trying to stuff his stats.

And before you say something stupid like "Well, he took 20 shots last night." I know he did and I also know that it was the first game after the announcement.

Simmer down man.... Never said you said it. Just asked if you thought he was helping the Lakers. :L Don't get all worked up because you don't want to answer the obvious Questions.

I know you have serious Kobe love and that's cool, but the man hasn't played at high level in years. Yes the Lakers have been bad,so maybe he's looked good a few times, but IMO he's doing this only for himself and his stats. The team chemistry on the Lakers would be much better without Kobe.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how you view their situation.

I personally don't see Free Agency playing out any differently for the Lakers, the last 2 Summers, with or without Kobe.

Dude's want to step into a ready made situation and they want to win immediately.

Do you think Bron, Melo, Aldridge, Gasol would have signed without Kobe on the roster?

I doubt it.

The best they could have hoped for is keeping Howard and with his injuries, I'm sure we all agree they dodged a bullet by him leaving.

The Lakers are in a tough position. Yes, their priority should be to developing the youngsters.

But, they also have an obligation to their business partners, like Time Warner.

They give the Lakers 150m reasons to keep the ghost of Kobe Bryant around because his farewell tour will be great for ratings.

Nobody was gonna tune in just to see Hibbert shag rebounds for Clarkson and Russell.

We might all look back on this with a different perspective depending on what happens this summer.

If they keep the pick and take Ben Simmons, it will have all been worth it.

I get that. But when Kobe is in the game, he still thinks he's the man. He wants a lot of shots. That disrupts the offense and mainly other younger talented played from developing or coming into their own. Getting experience

Just my opinion tho

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmer down man.... Never said you said it. Just asked if you thought he was helping the Lakers. :L Don't get all worked up because you don't want to answer the obvious Questions.

I know you have serious Kobe love and that's cool, but the man hasn't played at high level in years. Yes the Lakers have been bad,so maybe he's looked good a few times, but IMO he's doing this only for himself and his stats. The team chemistry on the Lakers would be much better without Kobe.

Actually, I don't have serious Kobe love. He's never been my favorite player and isn't even my favorite current Laker.

I just think people posting stupidity because they can't appreciate a great player whether they like that player or not is pretty tired.

You're just defensive because you made a stupid post, got called out for it and now are trying to save face.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I don't have serious Kobe love. He's never been my favorite player and isn't even my favorite current Laker.

I just think people posting stupidity because they can't appreciate a great player whether they like that player or not is pretty tired.

You're just defensive because you made a stupid post, got called out for it and now are trying to save face.

Ok. :)

Kobe is past his prime and the Lakers need to go forward and let the younger guys take over and develope their own chemistry. Kobe has tried it for a few years now and an injury always pops up - it happens over 20 years.

Calling Kobe past his prime doesn't mean I don't appreciate how good the guy was. He was a baller.

Get your panties out of your ass man.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. :)

Kobe is past his prime and the Lakers need to go forward and let the younger guys take over and develope their own chemistry.

Calling Kobe past his prime doesn't mean I don't appreciate how good the guy was. He was a baller.

Get your panties out of your ass man.

No one's panties are in their ass except possibly yours. You just made a fool of yourself and are doubling down trying to save face. You act like you're the only one who knows Kobe is past his prime.

He's retiring after the season. He had good reason to believe that he could still play at a high level and has learned the hard way that he can't. So now, he gets his farewell tour and the Lakers get to move on to whatever's next. He's earned his season long "victory lap."

Really not a difficult concept to grasp.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record here is some information for those of you who were laughing at Kobe's announcement and trash talking about him being a player that should quit right now. Tickets to see Kobe play one more time have already jumped because now his fans want to see him play one more time. The fans other cities like Chicago, Miami, and etc will be sold out teams just to see Kobe play and the NBA is going to cash in big time on Kobe's farewell team. Not bad for marketing for people you was calling stupid.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Kobe!! :lol:

And I'm trying to save face because Kobe has turned into a joke.

Sensitive bunch in here today.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is selling out venues to see Kobe go 2 for 15. He is a shell of his former self, but his 10-15 points a night will put him up a bit higher on the all time scoring list.

I invited my buddy who is a Lakers fan to see Mavs Lakers in Dallas earlier this month and he didn't even want to see it. 11 rows off the court

Kool aid is running up in this beetch

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one's panties are in their ass except possibly yours. You just made a fool of yourself and are doubling down trying to save face. You act like you're the only one who knows Kobe is past his prime.

He's retiring after the season. He had good reason to believe that he could still play at a high level and has learned the hard way that he can't. So now, he gets his farewell tour and the Lakers get to move on to whatever's next. He's earned his season long "victory lap."

Really not a difficult concept to grasp.

:bullshit:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. But when Kobe is in the game, he still thinks he's the man. He wants a lot of shots. That disrupts the offense and mainly other younger talented played from developing or coming into their own. Getting experience

Just my opinion tho

It may slow down the younger players development some, but there is this thing about the NBA called marketing. In the last 24 hours, ticket prices jumped because of Kobe's announcement and now more tickets are being sold to fans that want to see Kobe play his last game in their arena or in Los Angeles by dads bringing their children. That little bit of marketing - is going to pay very well for Kobe's salary.

Here is something else - Coaching is good, but having a player like Kobe giving the rookies instructions and teaching them while they play is even better and more valuable then the coaching by Scott and James Worthy. I have a friend who plays soccer and he is 52. He agrees and says the younger guys learn more from him by being in the game with what is called a hands on instruction. These players are going to learn faster with Kobe in the game helping them - then they would all alone - another by product of the Lakers front office thinking and mentality. Other teams think about winning right now, but what makes the Lakers better then any other team is the mentality of teaching the players as they start

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is selling out venues to see Kobe go 2 for 15. He is a shell of his former self, but his 10-15 points a night will put him up a bit higher on the all time scoring list.

I invited my buddy who is a Lakers fan to see Mavs Lakers in Dallas earlier this month and he didn't even want to see it. 11 rows off the court

Kool aid is running up in this beetch

If that was true - then ticket prices wouldn't have jumped in the last 24 hours already. Most of those fans want Kobe to lose by the way - they don't care about the numbers - they just going to see Kobe period

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may slow down the younger players development some, but there is this thing about the NBA called marketing. In the last 24 hours, ticket prices jumped because of Kobe's announcement and now more tickets are being sold to fans that want to see Kobe play his last game in their arena or in Los Angeles by dads bringing their children. That little bit of marketing - is going to pay very well for Kobe's salary.

Here is something else - Coaching is good, but having a player like Kobe giving the rookies instructions and teaching them while they play is even better and more valuable then the coaching by Scott and James Worthy. I have a friend who plays soccer and he is 52. He agrees and says the younger guys learn more from him by being in the game with what is called a hands on instruction. These players are going to learn faster with Kobe in the game helping them - then they would all alone - another by product of the Lakers front office thinking and mentality. Other teams think about winning right now, but what makes the Lakers better then any other team is the mentality of teaching the players as they start

Is he teaching them? Or just telling them To pass the ball?