• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe just retired lol

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was true - then ticket prices wouldn't have jumped in the last 24 hours already. Most of those fans want Kobe to lose by the way - they don't care about the numbers - they just going to see Kobe period

I think most of us semi-intelligent people already knew Kobe was hanging it up after this year even before his "announcement"

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for proving my point about your stupidity.

If you honestly believe that Kobe had good reason to believe he could play at a high level this year.. Let's just say I'm a laughing.
:L that's beyond stupid

Good grief man. Go grab a drink. The guy can't move anywhere close to what he used to. Same as Dirk. Same as KG.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you honestly believe that Kobe had good reason to believe he could play at a high level this year.. Let's just say I'm a laughing.
:L that's beyond stupid

Good grief man. Go grab a drink. The guy can't move anywhere close to what he used to. Same as Dirk. Same as KG.

His last frame of reference was his last full season when he played at a high enough level to singlehandedly drag that Dwightmare disaster team to the playoffs when everyone had written the Lakers off and were laughing because they weren't going to make the playoffs.

So yeah, he had reason to believe that he could still play at a high level. So laugh all you want, it just further shows the stupidity of your posts.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His last frame of reference was his last full season when he played at a high enough level to singlehandedly drag that Dwightmare disaster team to the playoffs when everyone had written the Lakers off and were laughing because they weren't going to make the playoffs.

So yeah, he had reason to believe that he could still play at a high level. So laugh all you want, it just further shows the stupidity of your posts.

:idea: 2 or 3 years ago?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way about Dirk. The guy can barely move. Sure he can still shoot it a bit, but a huge liability on defense.

We have season tix to the Mavs and I like the guy. He just needs to step down. Guys behind him are way more athletic and the team has a better flow when the old guy is on the bench.

I still respect him, but it more fun seeing fluidity and up tempo bball than watching "old balls" crawl up and down the court.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:idea: 2 or 3 years ago?

Exactly, but he hasn't played much basketball since then. What is it about the phrase "last frame of reference" that you don't understand?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way about Dirk. The guy can barely move. Sure he can still shoot it a bit, but a huge liability on defense.

The difference between Kobe and Dirk is that Dirk has been able to see his own long, slow decline which has given him the chance to accept it.

Dirk reminds me of when Kareem finally retired. You could see the decline every year, but he always had the skyhook and it lengthened his career by probably a good 4-5 years. But, like Dirk, he could see and accept his own decline.

The last time Kobe was on the court for a full season, he was arguably still one of the top 10 players in the league. That's why he had no reason to think he couldn't still play at a high level. He knew he couldn't play with the athleticism that he used to have, but he'd already made those adjustments to his game even before that season.

Honestly, given the circumstances, I'm surprised that it only took him 15 games to figure out that his body is just done.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us semi-intelligent people already Kobe was hanging it up after this year even before his "announcement"
Most fans are fans of the game - but there are a lot of player fans my friend. The player fans has their life revolve around one player. I was saying Kobe was finished two years ago as a player, but he came back and gave it a try and I think he will always be respected for that and he will always be remembered for it.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me Timmy Duncan over him any day of the week.
Ehh, here's the deal on that one. I only have him SLIGHTLY ahead of Duncan due to circumstances. Duncan is one of the greatest players ever, and the clear, best PF in history....but here's why I give Kobe the edge. Duncan has never went through a rebuilding period, he's had 1 coach, 1 GM, 1 owner, and a remarkable scouting team. He's had that same core, and coach who even had the foresight to change the offense to fit the modern day style. Now NONE of that is Duncan's fault in this case, as he's just the player...but I would of like to have seen what the Lakers would of been if Phil stayed, if Jerry West was still the GM, and if Jerry Buss had stayed alive, amongst other unforseen/crazy things that has happened with this franchise. Now with all of this being said, I totally understand why anyone would take Tim over Kobe, and I have no problem with it...but I would only slightly disagree due to the points made above

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ain't done, he'll come out of retirement sometime next year or the year after. No way he's calling it quits for good.

a la Favre?

He has earned the right to have the "victory" tour to go out.... Best of luck.... not a fan of his but you can't argue what he did on the court.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....but here's why I give Kobe the edge. Duncan has never went through a rebuilding period, he's had 1 coach, 1 GM, 1 owner, and a remarkable scouting team. He's had that same core, and coach who even had the foresight to change the offense to fit the modern day style.

Keep in mind that Timmy never felt like he had to chase other (HOF) good players off the team just so he could be the Alpha dog.

Often players make their own circumstances ... they don't just happen to them.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice poem
Yea, I was pretty touched by that. And, by the "thank you" note he wrote that was given out to each person at Staples. Nice classy gesture.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing I said was false. There is a better chance the ball will move better next season, there will be better chemistry, etc... How can anyone disagree with that? This has nothing to do with his "legacy".

Next step is to fire Byron Scott and perhaps hire Luke Walton.
So what are your predictions on making the Suns a winning franchise?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you basically think he's doing it for the check? Yes he has been hurt the past few years which even makes it more obvious IMO and now Kobe is way over the hill, adding nothing to a team that should be trying to focus on the young players and rebuild, not on Kobe.

You think Kobe is being productive and is adding to team chemistry?

Lakers are a team going in 2 different directions until Kobe is gone. All he's doing is holding them back.
goodness. This isn't brain surgery. It's no secret that Kobe has one of the best work ethics since MJ. He came back because he felt he was paid and he should continue to EARN that money.
He always said his body would tell him when it was time to retire. And, after coming back this season from multiple injuries, his body told him it was time to let go. Very simple to grasp. No tricks, no gimmicks.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ours is top 3 protected otherwise the Sixers get it. Soooo, the more 1-15's from Kobe, the better. :lol:

He should however play less minutes, take less shots and help grow the kids that are there and will be there going forward.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ours is top 3 protected otherwise the Sixers get it. Soooo, the more 1-15's from Kobe, the better. :lol:
How much you want to bet he realizes that?? :D

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. :)

Calling Kobe past his prime doesn't mean I don't appreciate how good the guy was. He was a baller.

Get your panties out of your ass man.

No it doesn't, but it does warrant your new nick name- CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

Kobe has BEEN past his prime. :scratch:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have season tix to the Mavs and I like the guy. He just needs to step down. Guys behind him are way more athletic and the team has a better flow when the old guy is on the bench.
Dirk has ALWAYS been a liability on defense. My goodness...do you even watch basketball??