• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe just retired lol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you basically think he's doing it for the check? Yes he has been hurt the past few years which even makes it more obvious IMO and now Kobe is way over the hill, adding nothing to a team that should be trying to focus on the young players and rebuild, not on Kobe.

You think Kobe is being productive and is adding to team chemistry?

Lakers are a team going in 2 different directions until Kobe is gone. All he's doing is holding them back.
From the reports I keep hearing the young rookies are developing nicely and the coaches like what they see though. Keep in mind that Kobe is not a small forward - He is a guard playing completely out of position. You wouldn't take Lebron James and ask him to play center, so why do the same for Kobe? Because of his status and stature for the team.

The Lakers are not looking at this year alone - they are looking at the public relations of what they did for Kobe this year - down the road after he is gone. You would be right about this year alone, but you're not thinking or seeing the entire picture - There is more to the picture then what meets the eye

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did insurance cover any of last year? When you have a generational guy like this you're always going to have a couple of bad years at the end where he's paid a fortune and doesn't perform. Comes with the territory. Some guys like Duncan may take less to keep a competitive team but that's a personal choice and he had teammates who made the same decision.
Hell, we have Carmelo and even when he's healthy he's been a waste of 20 mil
Carmelo wasn't worth 20 million to begin with even when he is healthy -lol, but that's a different argument
I don't think the insurance covered him because he came back and played a few games. The specialty insurance policies are written very strange

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am wrong, but I currently see Kobe as being the most selfish he has ever been in his career.

He's trying to increase HIS stats on a young team that he is basically holding hostage. Kobe should have walked away from the game 1-2 years ago.

Lakers organization has been trapped between a young team trying to find their way and The Kobe shit show.

Depends on how you view their situation.

I personally don't see Free Agency playing out any differently for the Lakers, the last 2 Summers, with or without Kobe.

Dude's want to step into a ready made situation and they want to win immediately.

Do you think Bron, Melo, Aldridge, Gasol would have signed without Kobe on the roster?

I doubt it.

The best they could have hoped for is keeping Howard and with his injuries, I'm sure we all agree they dodged a bullet by him leaving.

The Lakers are in a tough position. Yes, their priority should be to developing the youngsters.

But, they also have an obligation to their business partners, like Time Warner.

They give the Lakers 150m reasons to keep the ghost of Kobe Bryant around because his farewell tour will be great for ratings.

Nobody was gonna tune in just to see Hibbert shag rebounds for Clarkson and Russell.

We might all look back on this with a different perspective depending on what happens this summer.

If they keep the pick and take Ben Simmons, it will have all been worth it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the nerve of that guy to be part of 5 championships and accept a huge contract. He should be ashamed of himself. I hope one day to be equally ashamed

But, I'm the moocher?

* uses ebt card to get a slurpee at circle k and a pack of beef jerky *

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how you view their situation.

I personally don't see Free Agency playing out any differently for the Lakers, the last 2 Summers, with or without Kobe.

Dude's want to step into a ready made situation and they want to win immediately.

Do you think Bron, Melo, Aldridge, Gasol would have signed without Kobe on the roster?

I doubt it.

The best they could have hoped for is keeping Howard and with his injuries, I'm sure we all agree they dodged a bullet by him leaving.

The Lakers are in a tough position. Yes, their priority should be to developing the youngsters.

But, they also have an obligation to their business partners, like Time Warner.

They give the Lakers 150m reasons to keep the ghost of Kobe Bryant around because his farewell tour will be great for ratings.

Nobody was gonna tune in just to see Hibbert shag rebounds for Clarkson and Russell.

We might all look back on this with a different perspective depending on what happens this summer.

If they keep the pick and take Ben Simmons, it will have all been worth it.

Someone gets that the NBA is a business. With the Lakers, it is the only business of the majority owners. This isn't some billionaires play thing. Kobe was what 3rd or 4th in jersey sales last season? Kobe still brings in an insane profit for the Lakers even with the $25mil salary. Yes it has impacted the rebuild, but I doubt the Buss family would have changed anything.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it.

Exactly. I think the only reason that those players even granted the Lakers an interview, was probably because of Kobe. In the end though, they just didn't have enough to go along with Kobe and in those cases, it turned out to be the right move by those players because of Kobe's injuries and now how he has played so far this season.

In the next FA, they can show some young talented players in Clarkson, Randle, and Russell and possibly a top 3 lottery pick.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you just like trolling the Lakers and Kobe, but Kobe's body checked out the season he went down with the Achilles tendon. He did a nice job coming back the next season, but his season ended in the same fashion. Either way though - I said it then and will say it again - no one is going to walk away from the 50 million dollar offer and the chance to do it again. He most likely knew that his body was done, but the mind had not accepted it. People are often in denial when they get older and they cannot continue to do the same things they used to do. I don't even see how this Kobe Bryant of this season can be selling tickets, but they obviously know something we don't.

You are giving that idiot Kupchiak more credit than he deserves. Lakers aren't making their money back on the Kobe's contract. They resigned Kobe when he wasn't even healthy to a contract that no one else in the league could have or would have offered. It completely reminded me of the NY Yankee style of signings (take what a guy is worth and then double it! And if they don't accept right away, hike up the offer and bid against yourself!).

And I'm not now or have I ever trolled the Laker's. I have simply state the TRUTH about Kobe. I understand Laker fans overestimating Kobe a little bit coming into this year (hard to be a true fan and not love a guy to the point of blindness that has given so much to your team). But to think he was going to be anything other than a shell of his former self coming into this season was expecting way too much.

I have been a HUGE fan of Kobe's game over his career. I have even said that I would rather have him on my team taking the final shot over guys like Lebron and right up there with MJ.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are giving that idiot Kupchiak more credit than he deserves. Lakers aren't making their money back on the Kobe's contract. They resigned Kobe when he wasn't even healthy to a contract that no one else in the league could have or would have offered. It completely reminded me of the NY Yankee style of signings (take what a guy is worth and then double it! And if they don't accept right away, hike up the offer and bid against yourself!).

And I'm not now or have I ever trolled the Laker's. I have simply state the TRUTH about Kobe. I understand Laker fans overestimating Kobe a little bit coming into this year (hard to be a true fan and not love a guy to the point of blindness that has given so much to your team). But to think he was going to be anything other than a shell of his former self coming into this season was expecting way too much.

I have been a HUGE fan of Kobe's game over his career. I have even said that I would rather have him on my team taking the final shot over guys like Lebron and right up there with MJ.
Kupchak really doesn't run the show though - Jeannie and Jim Buss run the circus, but the setting and background is different in Los Angeles which is close to Holly Weird -and they are rewarding Kobe of 20 years and sending him out in style - just like they did for Kareem. Kareem earned it and so did Kobe

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe deserves one, but it'll be interesting to see what he allows. He has said all along that he didn't want to do the "farewell tour" but that was when he wasn't sure that this would be his last year. Now that he's announced it, who knows? Watching Kareem's was kind of fun, especially when teams had a little fun with it and came up with cool stuff.

I think the thing really is that there's been nothing but "he's hurting the Lakers". Dude wants to finish his year and basically acknowledged that he isn't the same player he used to be. I don't have much of a problem with it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing really is that there's been nothing but "he's hurting the Lakers". Dude wants to finish his year and basically acknowledged that he isn't the same player he used to be. I don't have much of a problem with it.

I have no problem with it either. He's earned the right to at least try and finish his career on his own 2 feet instead of just retiring due to injury. Plus, if he retired without trying this year, he'd have to spend the rest of his life wondering if he could have played another season or 2 at a high level. At least now he knows for sure.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why the "lol" in the title of this thread?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone gets that the NBA is a business. With the Lakers, it is the only business of the majority owners. This isn't some billionaires play thing. Kobe was what 3rd or 4th in jersey sales last season? Kobe still brings in an insane profit for the Lakers even with the $25mil salary. Yes it has impacted the rebuild, but I doubt the Buss family would have changed anything.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Well, unless you just don't want to...lol

Here is a perfect example of why this farewell tour will be profitable for the Lakers, their partners, the NBA and ticket sales outlets in every city he plays in.

Hours after the Los Angeles Lakers’ guard announced his retirement, ticket prices for most of team’s home and road games rose quickly on the secondary market. The Lakers’ final regular-season game as L.A takes on the Utah Jazz at Staples Center on April 13 really spiked. The median price for the Lakers’ regular season finale rose by 240 percent, according to online ticket service SeatGeek spokesman Chris Leyden. The cheapest seat as of Monday morning was $571
– via USA Today Sports

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I think the only reason that those players even granted the Lakers an interview, was probably because of Kobe. In the end though, they just didn't have enough to go along with Kobe and in those cases, it turned out to be the right move by those players because of Kobe's injuries and now how he has played so far this season.

In the next FA, they can show some young talented players in Clarkson, Randle, and Russell and possibly a top 3 lottery pick.

Yep.

Again, you have to have a foundation.

Despite Gilbert agreeing to be bent over and ran up in w/out lube, the fact remains that Lebron would not have returned to the Cavs had they not had Kyrie playing at a high level, Tristan willing to play garbage man * while making Wall Street money* and the assets to lure a third Star in Kevin Love * Wiggins*.

This is not a perfect comparison because coming home was a factor.

But, you get the point.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I'm the moocher?

* uses ebt card to get a slurpee at circle k and a pack of beef jerky *

I'm not talking to you. I'm still trying to pay off your Thanksgiving dinner ya mooch!

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you aware that the money they make from Time Warner Cable alone is 150 million per Season?

That covers their whole payroll and any taxes.

That contract can be adjusted, up or down, based on TV ratings.

I think we can all agree that the learning curve is gonna be steep this year for the young guys.

So, people may not be as interested to watch them struggle.

Kobe's farewell tour is gonna be great for ratings.

So, yes....

He is making them a ton of cash.

They basically keep all the money from tickets, jersey sales, concessions etc...plus the remainder of what they don't spend on the Team from their deal with TWC and their other sponsors.