• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe just retired lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player but if you're going to retire then just retire. Now we got the lame wicker chair tour crap like when Dr. J and Kareem retired. But that's the NBA I guess.

Kobe deserves one, but it'll be interesting to see what he allows. He has said all along that he didn't want to do the "farewell tour" but that was when he wasn't sure that this would be his last year. Now that he's announced it, who knows? Watching Kareem's was kind of fun, especially when teams had a little fun with it and came up with cool stuff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix Suns fans are especially over-joyed with the thought that for 18 years Kobe stood between their aspirations to go to the finals and win a championship, oh wait a minute they get to the Western Conference Finals one time in 18 years - :pound:

And yet the Lakers still what the Suns want the most - Championship Titles - 16 of them

Just pointing out that Kobe is going to retire with more championships than your Phoenix Suns will see in the next twenty years
\

What the fuck do the Suns have to do with this. Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ain't done, he'll come out of retirement sometime next year or the year after. No way he's calling it quits for good.

I doubt it. If he plays again it will either be in Italy (he grew up there and has long said he'd like to play there) or in that old dudes NBA league that is supposed to be in the works.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the biggest fan of Kobe as a person, but as a basketball player, he was the goods. It sucks that father time caught up to him, but he's got a resume that's similar to those that are all-time players.

He's done a lot for the game and will be missed.

Well said.

I hate that Dude.

But, he and Duncan carried the mantle after Jordan retired.

I expected more posts like yours when I came to this thread.

Hate and Love are both strong emotions.

So, it's a testament to Kobe's impact to see both displayed in equal measure here.

The last 2 Seasons don't erase what he accomplished the 17 Seasons before that.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ain't done, he'll come out of retirement sometime next year or the year after. No way he's calling it quits for good.

Have you seen him play this year? There isn't even an NBA team that would have him with the way he has performed so far this year. If he continues to play like he has thus far, it will be one of the worst seasons a player has had in the last decade or so of NBA basketball. He is shooting 30% this year and yet he is still taking 15+ shots a game. There isn't a basketball guy out there that would want a guy like that on their team.

Great, great, great player. But the Kobe everyone will remember retired from basketball in the spring of 2013. The last 3 years was just a sad reminder of how old age always wins.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am wrong, but I currently see Kobe as being the most selfish he has ever been in his career.

He's trying to increase HIS stats on a young team that he is basically holding hostage. Kobe should have walked away from the game 1-2 years ago.

Lakers organization has been trapped between a young team trying to find their way and The Kobe shit show.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am wrong, but I currently see Kobe as being the most selfish he has ever been in his career.

He's trying to increase HIS stats on a young team that he is basically holding hostage. Kobe should have walked away from the game 1-2 years ago.

Lakers organization has been trapped between a young team trying to find their way and The Kobe shit show.

You are wrong. Kobe was injured the past couple of years. His last full season was the Dwightmare season where he played at such a high level that he singlehandedly dragged the Lakers into the playoffs before his Achilles gave out on him. That was literally his last frame of reference, he had no reason think he wouldn't be able to get at least close to that. There was no slow decline like with Kareem or an ailing back like with Bird to tell him it's time to leave. Unfortunately, there was only coming back and playing like crap for him to know.

As for his contract, the Lakers offered him nearly $50 million for 2 years. Get back to me when you turn down that kind of money. The Lakers knew they weren't going to be very good the past 2 years and people pay money to see Kobe. So, they knew that even though they were going to suck, Kobe was going to make them more money than they will pay him.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong. Kobe was injured the past couple of years. His last full season was the Dwightmare season where he played at such a high level that he singlehandedly dragged the Lakers into the playoffs before his Achilles gave out on him. That was literally his last frame of reference, he had no reason think he wouldn't be able to get at least close to that. There was no slow decline like with Kareem or an ailing back like with Bird to tell him it's time to leave. Unfortunately, there was only coming back and playing like crap for him to know.

As for his contract, the Lakers offered him nearly $50 million for 2 years. Get back to me when you turn down that kind of money. The Lakers knew they weren't going to be very good the past 2 years and people pay money to see Kobe. So, they knew that even though they were going to suck, Kobe was going to make them more money than they will pay him.

So you basically think he's doing it for the check? Yes he has been hurt the past few years which even makes it more obvious IMO and now Kobe is way over the hill, adding nothing to a team that should be trying to focus on the young players and rebuild, not on Kobe.

You think Kobe is being productive and is adding to team chemistry?

Lakers are a team going in 2 different directions until Kobe is gone. All he's doing is holding them back.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lakers are a team going in 2 different directions until Kobe is gone. All he's doing is holding them back.

Kobe is doing a great job of teaching the youngsters so far. He has taught them all how NOT to play the game. :lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you basically think he's doing it for the check? Yes he has been hurt the past few years which even makes it more obvious IMO and now Kobe is way over the hill, adding nothing to a team that should be trying to focus on the young players and rebuild, not on Kobe.

I think the Lakers signed him for the checks he brings in. At what point did I say Kobe was adding anything to team chemistry? You making shit up now because you were wrong and got called on it?

How was it supposed to be "obvious?" It wasn't nagging or recurring injuries, it was a different injury. His last frame of reference was a season in which he played at a very high level. The only way for him to know that he had nothing left was to go out and try one more time. 16 games in, he realizes that his body is done. That's actually about 50 games sooner than I thought it would take him.

Hopefully, now that playing beyond this year is off the table, he can kind of relax (as much as a guy like Kobe ever relaxes). What will be interesting will be to see if he can just concentrate more on mentoring the young guys or if he'll spend the season trying to stuff his stats.

And before you say something stupid like "Well, he took 20 shots last night." I know he did and I also know that it was the first game after the announcement.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the nerve of that guy to be part of 5 championships and accept a huge contract. He should be ashamed of himself. I hope one day to be equally ashamed

Exactly, sometimes you just pay a guy as a thank you. To me, it's the 2010's version of the 25 year $25 million dollar contract that the Lakers gave Magic in the 80's. Obviously, he wasn't going to play for 25 years, but it was worth it for what he brought to the franchise in terms of both winning and money.

Teams can't make contracts like that anymore, so if it's something a team chooses to do, this is how it has to be done. I doubt will see too many of those though. I think guys like Kobe, who play a long career for one team, are going the way of the dinosaur.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, sometimes you just pay a guy as a thank you. To me, it's the 2010's version of the 25 year $25 million dollar contract that the Lakers gave Magic in the 80's. Obviously, he wasn't going to play for 25 years, but it was worth it for what he brought to the franchise in terms of both winning and money.

Teams can't make contracts like that anymore, so if it's something a team chooses to do, this is how it has to be done. I doubt will see too many of those though. I think guys like Kobe, who play a long career for one team, are going the way of the dinosaur.

And if you have your #1 picks (Unlike my Knicks next year) let him go 1-15.

Kobe is the only player in history to spend 20 years with one team. The other 20 year players all changed teams at least once

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you have your #1 picks (Unlike my Knicks next year) let him go 1-15.

Kobe is the only player in history to spend 20 years with one team. The other 20 year players all changed teams at least once

Ours is top 3 protected otherwise the Sixers get it. Soooo, the more 1-15's from Kobe, the better. :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen him play this year? There isn't even an NBA team that would have him with the way he has performed so far this year. If he continues to play like he has thus far, it will be one of the worst seasons a player has had in the last decade or so of NBA basketball. He is shooting 30% this year and yet he is still taking 15+ shots a game. There isn't a basketball guy out there that would want a guy like that on their team.

Great, great, great player. But the Kobe everyone will remember retired from basketball in the spring of 2013. The last 3 years was just a sad reminder of how old age always wins.
I know you just like trolling the Lakers and Kobe, but Kobe's body checked out the season he went down with the Achilles tendon. He did a nice job coming back the next season, but his season ended in the same fashion. Either way though - I said it then and will say it again - no one is going to walk away from the 50 million dollar offer and the chance to do it again. He most likely knew that his body was done, but the mind had not accepted it. People are often in denial when they get older and they cannot continue to do the same things they used to do. I don't even see how this Kobe Bryant of this season can be selling tickets, but they obviously know something we don't.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the nerve of that guy to be part of 5 championships and accept a huge contract. He should be ashamed of himself. I hope one day to be equally ashamed
You and me both :lol:

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you just like trolling the Lakers and Kobe, but Kobe's body checked out the season he went down with the Achilles tendon. He did a nice job coming back the next season, but his season ended in the same fashion. Either way though - I said it then and will say it again - no one is going to walk away from the 50 million dollar offer and the chance to do it again. He most likely knew that his body was done, but the mind had not accepted it. People are often in denial when they get older and they cannot continue to do the same things they used to do. I don't even see how this Kobe Bryant of this season can be selling tickets, but they obviously know something we don't.

People will buy tickets for his farewell tour for a couple of reasons. Lakers fans seeing him one last time and others so they can say they saw him play. I saw that big time a couple of years ago with Derek Jeter.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will buy tickets for his farewell tour for a couple of reasons. Lakers fans seeing him one last time and others so they can say they saw him play. I saw that big time a couple of years ago with Derek Jeter.
Oh I think he will sell tickets all over the place no matter what, but it's hard to determine if it is 25 million dollars worth - His salary for the year. Last year was a loss and that 25 million is gone. This year they will be happy just to break even, but they made money over the years long before he went down and they have enabled one player to complete his career with one team. The Buss family will be remember for the good things they did for Kobe for decades to come. Future generations of players will remember this and be more open to the Lakers

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think he will sell tickets all over the place no matter what, but it's hard to determine if it is 25 million dollars worth - His salary for the year. Last year was a loss and that 25 million is gone. This year they will be happy just to break even, but they made money over the years long before he went down and they have enabled one player to complete his career with one team. The Buss family will be remember for the good things they did for Kobe for decades to come. Future generations of players will remember this and be more open to the Lakers

Did insurance cover any of last year? When you have a generational guy like this you're always going to have a couple of bad years at the end where he's paid a fortune and doesn't perform. Comes with the territory. Some guys like Duncan may take less to keep a competitive team but that's a personal choice and he had teammates who made the same decision.
Hell, we have Carmelo and even when he's healthy he's been a waste of 20 mil