• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Love opts out of contract

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't necessarily a "bash" though. Nothing wrong with someone making a career decision based on money, or their role at a certain company, or any other reason they may have.

It's absolutely a bash. The only time we ever say "good for him, he got paid" is when it's an average at best player like Jodie Meeks who gets himself more than he's worth.

When it's a superstar player, it's always a bash. The Lakers signed Kobe to a deal that left them cap room to add a max or near max FA, but Kobe was bashed as "only being about money."

Lebron was bashed when he made the statement about not being willing to not be the highest paid player on his team anymore (or something to that effect) even though he took less every year in Miami.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's absolutely a bash. The only time we ever say "good for him, he got paid" is when it's an average at best player like Jodie Meeks who gets himself more than he's worth.

When it's a superstar player, it's always a bash. The Lakers signed Kobe to a deal that left them cap room to add a max or near max FA, but Kobe was bashed as "only being about money."

Lebron was bashed when he made the statement about not being willing to not be the highest paid player on his team (or something to that effect) even though he took less every year in Miami.

I agree, if we're talking about all nba fans, collectively.

Individually, though, it depends on the person. For me personally... saying someone chose money over winning is just an observation... absolutely not a criticism.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also already said that if he leaves, he's just interested in money, not winning.

Obviously, bc he has the best chance to win in Cleveland. That is self-explanatory. It isnt a bash it is the truth. I guess a bunch of teams could offer him more money.

This is a business.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, bc he has the best chance to win in Cleveland. That is self-explanatory. It isnt a bash it is the truth. I guess a bunch of teams could offer him more money.

There are other teams who give him the opportunity to win. Believe it or not, there are other good teams besides the Cavs. There are also teams that that Love would help to turn into a winner.

It's entirely possible that leaving could be about winning AND money.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron was bashed when he made the statement about not being willing to not be the highest paid player on his team anymore (or something to that effect) even though he took less every year in Miami.

He isnt a superstar player. He is an all-star lol. It's all a business, but when a player like Kobe aging takes more money after being injured the last 2 years when the team is trying to rebuild that is a totally different situation.
For Love it is simple. You stay in Cleveland to win, nothing else. You can go to your home state and make more money as a business decision or other places if you want to be "the main guy".

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs seem to me to be the best option in terms of winning and the best option in terms of money. He's getting the max no matter what... and the Cavs have his Bird rights... so that's not really the issue.

IMO... if he leaves... it will have more to do with his role or the location.... than winning or money.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other teams who give him the opportunity to win. Believe it or not, there are other good teams besides the Cavs. There are also teams that that Love would help to turn into a winner.

It's entirely possible that leaving could be about winning AND money.

So you are saying in the weak east playing with the best player in the world, and possibly another up-and-coming superstar this isnt the BEST place to win, especially when he is already here and found a groove in his role with the team. Sure, other places you can win, but is it the best chance to win a championship.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying in the weak east playing with the best player in the world, and possibly another up-and-coming superstar this isnt the BEST place to win, especially when he is already here and found a groove in his role with the team. Sure, other places you can win, but is it the best chance to win a championship.

It isn't the best place if he feels that his skills can be better used in another place and still win. He's also young, so he may feel that he can win longer term someplace else. Also, the Cavs own his Bird rights, so it could actually cost him money to play someplace else.

Again, just because he leaves the Cavs, doesn't mean he's not interested in winning. But that's how most Cavs fans will spin it.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't the best place if he feels that his skills can be better used in another place and still win. He's also young, so he may feel that he can win longer term someplace else. Also, the Cavs own his Bird rights, so it could actually cost him money to play someplace else.

Again, just because he leaves the Cavs, doesn't mean he's not interested in winning. But that's how most Cavs fans will spin it.

Well I'm sure there would be many reasons: role, money, destination, winning, organization, etc...it just wouldnt make sense from my perspective. You have the best player getting you the ball and open looks, why make it harder on yourself to prove you can be a number 1 guy. He has already proved that, if that is his reasoning. :noidea:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, just because he leaves the Cavs, doesn't mean he's not interested in winning.

What if he leaves the Cavs for a team that's not a title contender or even a playoff contender right now?:noidea:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm sure there would be many reasons: role, money, destination, winning, organization, etc...it just wouldnt make sense from my perspective. You have the best player getting you the ball and open looks, why make it harder on yourself to prove you can be a number 1 guy. He has already proved that, if that is his reasoning. :noidea:

There was an interesting comment by Kevin Ding on DP re: Love. He said that Love may just want to "take control of his life and play where he wants to play and that might be Los Angeles. He knows it will cost him some money, but he's okay with that."

He's in a similar position as Dwight was when he became a free agent after 1 year with the Lakers in that he's never really had a chance to choose where he wants to play. That might be the motivating factor for him as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kevin Love wants to win immediately he really should sign w/ the 76ers.:D

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he leaves the Cavs for a team that's not a title contender or even a playoff contender right now?:noidea:

Depends on what that team can do to get in position to win.

For example, he's been rumored to want to play for the Lakers for years. I'd hardly consider the current Lakers a playoff contender. But, if he signs with the Lakers and they have drafted DeAngelo Russell or Okafor or traded for Cousins and picked someone like Mudiay with the Kings #6 (assuming that's part of the deal), you could put together a pretty solid roster that should at least make the playoffs. Then when Kobe comes off the books and the cap goes up, they can add more players.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what that team can do to get in position to win.

For example, he's been rumored to want to play for the Lakers for years. I'd hardly consider the current Lakers a playoff contender. But, if he signs with the Lakers and they have drafted DeAngelo Russell or Okafor or traded for Cousins and picked someone like Mudiay with the Kings #6 (assuming that's part of the deal), you could put together a pretty solid roster that should at least make the playoffs. Then when Kobe comes off the books and the cap goes up, they can add more players.

I agree & was thinking the same thing about Love & the Lakers. And speaking of Cousins the Kings would be crazy to trade him unless they get a lot in return. He's a damn good player & the best 5 in the game right now. Also I can't imagine current Kings GM Vlade Divac wants to do any favors for the Lakers. I think The Draft could be interesting tonight. Although I might throw something @ my tv set if the Philadelphia Tankers take Russell.:gaah:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs should have traded Love to the Twolves for Andrew Wiggins when they had the chance!:bounce:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an interesting comment by Kevin Ding on DP re: Love. He said that Love may just want to "take control of his life and play where he wants to play and that might be Los Angeles. He knows it will cost him some money, but he's okay with that."

He's in a similar position as Dwight was when he became a free agent after 1 year with the Lakers in that he's never really had a chance to choose where he wants to play. That might be the motivating factor for him as well.

Here's the thing.

Of course it's just a guess, but asked to answer yes or no, does anyone think Love was happy last year?
If the answer is no, which I would guess it was, does he have a vision of what would it take to make him happy there?
If that answer is no, then he prob leaves.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree & was thinking the same thing about Love & the Lakers. And speaking of Cousins the Kings would be crazy to trade him unless they get a lot in return. He's a damn good player & the best 5 in the game right now. Also I can't imagine current Kings GM Vlade Divac wants to do any favors for the Lakers. I think The Draft could be interesting tonight. Although I might throw something @ my tv set if the Philadelphia Tankers take Russell.:gaah:

Yeah, I agree re: Cousins and the Kings. The thing working against the Kings though is that the longer this impasse between Karl and the FO drags on, the less they're likely to get for him.

Gonna be a crazy day for rumors with the draft today.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree re: Cousins and the Kings. The thing working against the Kings though is that the longer this impasse between Karl and the FO drags on, the less they're likely to get for him.

Gonna be a crazy day for rumors with the draft today.

I think there could be alotta deals made during The Draft. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. I'm hoping a couple of Runnin' Rebels (Wood & Vaughn) get drafted.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there could be alotta deals made during The Draft. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. I'm hoping a couple of Runnin' Rebels (Wood & Vaughn) get drafted.

Yeah, I haven't been this interested in the draft and FA in quite awhile. There are so many directions teams can go. If Kevin Ding is right and the Lakers take Russell at #2, it's going to really alter things for a lot of teams and will also likely have a significant impact on FA as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I haven't been this interested in the draft and FA in quite awhile. There are so many directions teams can go. If Kevin Ding is right and the Lakers take Russell at #2, it's going to really alter things for a lot of teams and will also likely have a significant impact on FA as well.

This is very tough for me to say being a Celtics fan but due to the over the top tanking tactics of the 76ers over the last several years I'd rather see him in L.A. than Philly. For your Lakers I think it'll come down to what their first priority is. If they can't pull off a trade for Cousins where do you think they should start, the back court or the front court? Both Russell & Okafor were excellent in college. Oh yeah...has Randle fully recovered yet?