• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Love opts out of contract

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always competition, so it would have just boiled down to whether or not Love really wanted to be there.

There is the unknown of what the available cap space would have been, but IF he's only looking for a 1 year deal now, then a super max next year it could have worked out.

I donno...he made it clear he wanted to play in Cleveland so I would've bet that he would've signed there as a FA this summer even if they waited. Now though, no one is so sure what he wants to do at this point. Maybe with Wiggins there and the team having an easier load (more depth) that might have made it even more attractive to Love.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They had Love in hand... and the potential for Love & Wiggins in the bush.

Looking back on the trade now... I can agree with you guys. To the people who didn't like the trade back then... I give them their props.

But rewinding to that day.... I think they made a move that most GM's would've.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear... LeBron didn't say that or anything like that.

A Bleacher Report writer said "There is a belief that he is going to take a wait and see approach"

Who's belief this is, I have no idea... and the writer failed to elaborate.
yes but usually when there is smoke there is a fire. This sounds like something LBJ would do. Again i don't think he leaves. He knows that would kill his image.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear... LeBron didn't say that or anything like that.

A Bleacher Report writer said "There is a belief that he is going to take a wait and see approach"

Who's belief this is, I have no idea... and the writer failed to elaborate.

James will take a wait-and-see approach while the Cavaliers tend to their housekeeping matters, league sources told Northeast Ohio Media Group. The four-time MVP has a player option deadline of Monday, and he will decline to pick up that deal for next season. The belief is James wants to observe how management goes about retaining and accumulating assets keep the organization in win-now mode and improve the roster. The chance of James bolting the city of Cleveland for a second time is slim, but his approach will allow him to assess the Cavaliers’ moves before re-signing. It also applies pressure on the organization to do whatever is necessary to strengthen the team.

For James and his agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports Group, it’s a forward-thinking business tactic. There’s no telling how many prime years James has left, and the impression is that he wants to ensure he’s surrounded by a championship-caliber cast. He’ll be the last domino to fall, if all goes as planned, league sources with knowledge of the situation presume. Cavs general manager David Griffin says James has been “very engaged” in terms of the team’s roster composition and intentions.

Here's what's on hoop hypes.

He's not going anywhere as long as Gilbert does whatever he says.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup this is why they went with a Guard. It was actually a smart move. I still think its tough to pass Okafor but overall I think it will be the better move for the Lakers. If they land a top 4/5 I think lakers make the playoffs next year if healthy.

Im happy with my Bulls. I think we now trade Gibson and get that back PG who can also play with Rose at the same time or they get that starting SG and move Butler to SF.
Yea things may finally be starting to turn around for my lakers.

What pg would you like to bring in? I think you guys could stand to get a couple more guys that can score and/or create for themselves.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James will take a wait-and-see approach while the Cavaliers tend to their housekeeping matters, league sources told Northeast Ohio Media Group. The four-time MVP has a player option deadline of Monday, and he will decline to pick up that deal for next season. The belief is James wants to observe how management goes about retaining and accumulating assets keep the organization in win-now mode and improve the roster. The chance of James bolting the city of Cleveland for a second time is slim, but his approach will allow him to assess the Cavaliers’ moves before re-signing. It also applies pressure on the organization to do whatever is necessary to strengthen the team.

For James and his agent, Rich Paul of Klutch Sports Group, it’s a forward-thinking business tactic. There’s no telling how many prime years James has left, and the impression is that he wants to ensure he’s surrounded by a championship-caliber cast. He’ll be the last domino to fall, if all goes as planned, league sources with knowledge of the situation presume. Cavs general manager David Griffin says James has been “very engaged” in terms of the team’s roster composition and intentions.

Here's what's on hoop hypes.

He's not going anywhere as long as Gilbert does whatever he says.

I know... that's exactly what I was saying. A bleacer report writer said "There is a belief that...".

This isn't a quote from James. It doesn't even claim to have any sources saying he is thinking that way. It sounds like conjecture to me.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They had Love in hand... and the potential for Love & Wiggins in the bush.

Looking back on the trade now... I can agree with you guys. To the people who didn't like the trade back then... I give them their props.

I don't disagree....but that potential is still there even if they keep Wiggins and pick up Love a season later. But now they can't get Wiggins back and might even lose Love. I thought it was a bad move then and really think it stinks now.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea things may finally be starting to turn around for my lakers.

What pg would you like to bring in? I think you guys could stand to get a couple more guys that can score and/or create for themselves.
I didn't really think about it yet. I really thought we were going to draft a PG/SG type player. I wanted jones when he was there. Instead they went with a guy that has a nice ceiling at a position where we are deep right now. That is why i think they either trade Gibson or Noah.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess since I was always against the premise of it, I'm sort of in the 'told you so' mode.

I just am against ANY trade like that unless you are getting a mega superstar in return.
Youth, rookie salaries, and cap space are luxuries you just don't just dispose of unless you absolutely have to.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree....but that potential is still there even if they keep Wiggins and pick up Love a season later. But now they can't get Wiggins back and might even lose Love. I thought it was a bad move then and really think it stinks now.
it was a really bad move. That is why I said before the playoffs that this was the Cavs best chance of winning. They are about to lose JR and they might lose Love and they traded a Top Rookie for Love. Imagine a lineup with Irving, Wiggins, LBJ and Thompson and Moz. That lineup would be good for the next 5 years. Then what ever role players u can get. Iman as a nice 6th man. Della as a good back up PG.

Things can go bad for the cavs very soon. now don't get me wrong they will be a playoff team every year with LBJ on the team but a real chance of winning it all will get tougher if they lose these guys.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess since I was always against the premise of it, I'm sort of in the 'told you so' mode.

I just am against ANY trade like that unless you are getting a mega superstar in return.
Youth, rookie salaries, and cap space are luxuries you just don't just dispose of unless you absolutely have to.
Maybe after failing with the Bennett pick they were nervous...

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a really bad move. That is why I said before the playoffs that this was the Cavs best chance of winning. They are about to lose JR and they might lose Love and they traded a Top Rookie for Love. Imagine a lineup with Irving, Wiggins, LBJ and Thompson and Moz. That lineup would be good for the next 5 years. Then what ever role players u can get. Iman as a nice 6th man. Della as a good back up PG.

Things can go bad for the cavs very soon. now don't get me wrong they will be a playoff team every year with LBJ on the team but a real chance of winning it all will get tougher if they lose these guys.
Yea i think LBJ is their only chance. He can get folks to play there more-so than Kyrie can. And I say that based on the fact that the candidates from last seasons' draft were tanking their work-outs with the Cavs as to not be picked by them.

But, if LBJ & Love have opted out just to re-sign for more money how does that allow the team to get better? The salary cap doesn't increase for another season and by then tons of things will have changed. It won't only be their team experiencing the increase in cap space.

Also, as mentioned earlier, how many more years of "prime" LBJ are left? I mean they ran him pretty ragged this season. Add that to the mileage he picked up in Miami when Wade stopped playing full seasons and now he's playing more with no trophies to show for it in the end.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea i think LBJ is their only chance. He can get folks to play there more-so than Kyrie can. And I say that based on the fact that the candidates from last seasons' draft were tanking their work-outs with the Cavs as to not be picked by them.

But, if LBJ & Love have opted out just to re-sign for more money how does that allow the team to get better? The salary cap doesn't increase for another season and by then tons of things will have changed. It won't only be their team experiencing the increase in cap space.

Also, as mentioned earlier, how many more years of "prime" LBJ are left? I mean they ran him pretty ragged this season. Add that to the mileage he picked up in Miami when Wade stopped playing full seasons and now he's playing more with no trophies to show for it in the end.
Yeah I mean we saw LBj just run out of gas in the Finals. He just couldn't shoot anymore. He can still give you rebounds and Assists but they need him to shoot well and control the tempo of the game. If they lose out on Love Cavs are in big trouble just because they won't be able to sign a star because they are already over the cap. They would have to trade another piece of the puzzle to land a star back. They already traded Wigs and now they might to trade another player to replace a star player like Love. Cavs fans don't like to hear this but if Love leaves this last year was their best chance.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if the 'braintrust' didn't go for Bennett, you could have added Oladipo to that list.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the 'braintrust' didn't go for Bennett, you could have added Oladipo to that list.
yeah Bennett pick was one of the worst picks. i didn't understand it. Yeah they have really screwed up as of late. This team would of been stacked right now.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson's a way better fit than Love is. The Cavs could have just traded down and filled another role instead of taking on Love's contract. I like Love but he's a scorer and the Cavs don't need 3 scorers. All they had to do was look at what happened to Bosh in Miami to figure out what would happen here.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson's a way better fit than Love is. The Cavs could have just traded down and filled another role instead of taking on Love's contract. I like Love but he's a scorer and the Cavs don't need 3 scorers. All they had to do was look at what happened to Bosh in Miami to figure out what would happen here.

They did look at those teams and realized with Love they could recreate the spacing that Bosh gave them without the rebounding issues that those Miami teams had.

IMO Love isn't going anywhere. he can be a bit of a baby at times....but as a Wolves fan I always thought his word was good. If he said he is going back to Cleveland like he has numerous times, I believe him.

....and if Love goes back and that team stays healthy during their playoff run, I still don't think there is anyone that can hang with them.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's fair. I was one who thought you were crazy to criticize the trade back then... but with the way things have gone down... you definitely have some "told you so" ammo.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggins led the wolves to an amazing 16 and 66 season...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggins led the wolves to an amazing 16 and 66 season...

:L

And the Cavs made their run WITHOUT Love.

Nice comparison though. The Wolves were expected to do so much.:nono:

If we're playing you game, how far did Love ever lead the Wolves?

To go further, how many times did Kyrie lead the Cavs to the playoffs in years where the bottom of the East was pretty bad?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

And the Cavs made their run WITHOUT Love.

Nice comparison though. The Wolves were expected to do so much.:nono:

If we're playing you game, how far did Love ever lead the Wolves?

To go further, how many times did Kyrie lead the Cavs to the playoffs in years where the bottom of the East was pretty bad?
:L I'll just respond for him.