• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's New Throwing Motion

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFC West Q&A: Was 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick exposed last season? - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

the comment by Seattle's writer is hard to ignore. Have to agree it is more mental - ie intangibles.

I think that simplifies the situation. A lot of the blame for our second half struggles falls on Roman, IMO. The difference in stats between the first and second halves (and especially the first and fourth quarters) is too stark to simply chalk up to Kap choking. Our offense completely imploded across the board after halftime in something like 13 of our games last year. That said, after showing extremely well late in games in his first season starting, there's no doubt that Kap's fourth quarter numbers have declined dramatically over the past two. I'm very interested to see what he does in a system that plays to his strengths. Wilson has had that benefit for a couple years now, and has been very effective. It should be interesting to see if Kap's number rebound with more movement, some easier pass plays that let his receivers do more of the work, and the work on his mechanics.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that simplifies the situation. A lot of the blame for our second half struggles falls on Roman, IMO. The difference in stats between the first and second halves (and especially the first and fourth quarters) is too stark to simply chalk up to Kap choking. Our offense completely imploded across the board after halftime in something like 13 of our games last year. That said, after showing extremely well late in games in his first season starting, there's no doubt that Kap's fourth quarter numbers have declined dramatically over the past two. I'm very interested to see what he does in a system that plays to his strengths. Wilson has had that benefit for a couple years now, and has been very effective. It should be interesting to see if Kap's number rebound with more movement, some easier pass plays that let his receivers do more of the work, and the work on his mechanics.

It wasn't just Kap that failed in the 4th qtr. It seemed the running game also failed and whatever was called on offense failed to work

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It wasn't just Kap that failed in the 4th qtr. It seemed the running game also failed and whatever was called on offense failed to work

Absolutely. Nothing worked in the 4th quarter last year. It was a joke.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Nothing worked in the 4th quarter last year. It was a joke.

I was thinking about the 49ers offense last year. I know Roman was the fall guy and the one who took most of the blame and maybe he deserves most of it. But I wonder what problems were created under Harbaugh's system of multiple people calling plays. Not just the delay of penalties, but other problems. I've read about the dysfunction that evolved from it. Do any other teams that have productive offenses use such a system?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was thinking about the 49ers offense last year. I know Roman was the fall guy and the one who took most of the blame and maybe he deserves most of it. But I wonder what problems were created under Harbaugh's system of multiple people calling plays. Not just the delay of penalties, but other problems. I've read about the dysfunction that evolved from it. Do any other teams that have productive offenses use such a system?

Yeah, that could have a lot to do with it. I know we scripted plays early, and the offense typically looked pretty good. Late in games we struggled. I tend to chalk that up to Roman's inability to adjust during games, but it's entirely possible that the weird three-headed playcalling beast made this situation much, much worse.

It does really concern me that the guy who was reportedly in charge of our putrid red zone playcalling is now running the show on offense....

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know where everyone is coming from here about the offense of last season (and even before that) Lousy play calling, delays, Etc. I would hope this season will be more of a fast paced approach. That being said , my concern falls back to a QB who needs training on to how to throw the ball ,read the defense....Having great WR's means nothing if the ball never gets there. IMO Kap is not the guy to be the 9ers' future as the QB. It all reminds me the likes of Tim Tebow. I really hope that Kap can run an offense as a leader and not just break out and run for a gain. Prove me wrong Kap ,please.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that could have a lot to do with it. I know we scripted plays early, and the offense typically looked pretty good. Late in games we struggled. I tend to chalk that up to Roman's inability to adjust during games, but it's entirely possible that the weird three-headed playcalling beast made this situation much, much worse.

It does really concern me that the guy who was reportedly in charge of our putrid red zone playcalling is now running the show on offense....

No doubt that is a concern. To me, it adds to the uncetainty. Also he was Kap's QB coach and you can see some of Kap's issues that were not addressed. Add to that, Geep was not the team's first choice and more of a fallback option. I am hoping the 49er red zone issues and Kap's issues were as much a result of the lousy system as much as Geep's. Geep doesn't really have an NFL track record. I looked at his record and he was OC on the Chargers from 1999 to 2000. The offensive rankings of those teams were unimpressive but at the same time it appears those teams suffered from a lack of offensive talent. Ryan Leaf would be anyone's disaster,

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know where everyone is coming from here about the offense of last season (and even before that) Lousy play calling, delays, Etc. I would hope this season will be more of a fast paced approach. That being said , my concern falls back to a QB who needs training on to how to throw the ball ,read the defense....Having great WR's means nothing if the ball never gets there. IMO Kap is not the guy to be the 9ers' future as the QB. It all reminds me the likes of Tim Tebow. I really hope that Kap can run an offense as a leader and not just break out and run for a gain. Prove me wrong Kap ,please.

this may be true but it isn't easy getting another good QB? So unless you get REAL lucky like Seattle, you have to invest a lot to get a good QB. Not to mention it is likely via draft so you HOPE your eval was right?

BTW - Do feel Kaep is good QB, but not elite. So we don't need to rush out and get the next QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't like putting Kap in the same conversation as Tebow. I think some of Kap's issues were a bit overblown although he does need improvement in some areas. I am more concerned with the oline coming together than I am with Kap at this point. I am not expecting Kap to become Brady or Manning. Just looking for improved play and I think that can happen if the oline and playcalling improve from last year in addition to Kap's work.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this may be true but it isn't easy getting another good QB? So unless you get REAL lucky like Seattle, you have to invest a lot to get a good QB. Not to mention it is likely via draft so you HOPE your eval was right?

BTW - Do feel Kaep is good QB, but not elite. So we don't need to rush out and get the next QB.

Elite QB's don't exactly grow on trees, lol. That is why they are called elite. There are only a few in the NFL

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick a 'third-tier' QB? - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

at the bottom there are comments about "from the pocket", yes will have to agree. In today's NFL, you have to be effective throwing from the pocket. You don't have to be THE best pocket passer, but effective. Granted they will try to get more from him 'rolling out'? For me, that would count as good passing even if not from the pocket.

Kaep has shown some good passing games and effective passing games, so he is capable. Looked another way, he needs to avoid those stinker passing games, those where he throws for less than 200 yards.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick a 'third-tier' QB? - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

at the bottom there are comments about "from the pocket", yes will have to agree. In today's NFL, you have to be effective throwing from the pocket. You don't have to be THE best pocket passer, but effective. Granted they will try to get more from him 'rolling out'? For me, that would count as good passing even if not from the pocket.

Kaep has shown some good passing games and effective passing games, so he is capable. Looked another way, he needs to avoid those stinker passing games, those where he throws for less than 200 yards.

I read that and I understand it. He didn't have a good season last year, although I would disagree with some of the comments in general about the QBs in general. Also notice in general there is quite a bit of differences in opinion between the various people interviewed for the artice on the QBs

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After the top five guys, you get a lot of players where beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. Forced to choose right now, I would probably take Wilson over Kap, but I don't think there's such a great gap between them. Wilson has been incredible in terms of some comebacks, but if he played better early in games, he wouldn't need to make all those comebacks. And he's a guy who also really struggles from the pocket. Matt Ryan is very, very good, but has never gotten over the hump to great. Flacco has been phenomenal, but he's not consistent at all. I think you could rank a lot of these guys in slightly different orders and it would be hard for anyone to get too worked up about it. JMHO.

Having said that, Kap has got to step up his game this year. He's got to develop better pocket presence and differ his throws for different circumstances. He's got to be more consistent throwing the ball. Hopefully his offseason work pays off in that regard.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the top five guys, you get a lot of players where beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. Forced to choose right now, I would probably take Wilson over Kap, but I don't think there's such a great gap between them. Wilson has been incredible in terms of some comebacks, but if he played better early in games, he wouldn't need to make all those comebacks. And he's a guy who also really struggles from the pocket. Matt Ryan is very, very good, but has never gotten over the hump to great. Flacco has been phenomenal, but he's not consistent at all. I think you could rank a lot of these guys in slightly different orders and it would be hard for anyone to get too worked up about it. JMHO.

Having said that, Kap has got to step up his game this year. He's got to develop better pocket presence and differ his throws for different circumstances. He's got to be more consistent throwing the ball. Hopefully his offseason work pays off in that regard.

Good post Crims. Did you happen to notice the disparaty in opinion between the people doing the analyzing? There are some significant differences in general.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His throwing motion was not the problem, his inability to go through his reads effectively is his problem. It's mostly mental.

Kaepernick has arguably more natural talent than Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, etc. but for whatever reason, he just has not improved on the mental aspect of the game. If he could figure it out up top, he could be one hell of a quarterback, but considering that he has been in the NFL for a while now and hasn't improved, you have to wonder if he ever will.

There are ways to play to his strengths, but you have to have an offensive coordinator who will build the offense around him, and it has to be a run first offense.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His throwing motion was not the problem, his inability to go through his reads effectively is his problem. It's mostly mental.

Kaepernick has arguably more natural talent than Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, etc. but for whatever reason, he just has not improved on the mental aspect of the game. If he could figure it out up top, he could be one hell of a quarterback, but considering that he has been in the NFL for a while now and hasn't improved, you have to wonder if he ever will.

There are ways to play to his strengths, but you have to have an offensive coordinator who will build the offense around him, and it has to be a run first offense.

The first part of your post is untrue. There were issues with his throwing motion and footwork which affected his timing and accuracy from the pocket especially last season. He worked this offseason and made changes to both. The whole thing about him not being able to go through reads has been overblown. He can do it and has shown the ability to do it, but at the same time gets impatient in the pocket made worse last year from poor pass protection.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first part of your post is untrue. There were issues with his throwing motion and footwork which affected his timing and accuracy from the pocket especially last season. He worked this offseason and made changes to both. The whole thing about him not being able to go through reads has been overblown. He can do it and has shown the ability to do it, but at the same time gets impatient in the pocket made worse last year from poor pass protection.

Whenever I've watched him, when his first read has been covered, he seems to panic. Which (IMO) is his biggest problem and the reason why he struggled so much against the Seahawks since Sherman was normally covering his first read.