• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post Draft look at the Bird's WR Position

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the one game where DeSean Jackson was 100% healthy last season the Eagles brass saw what life could be like if Carson Wentz had that option in the game plan on a regular basis. I think they decided after the season that they were not going to have Wentz go through another season with a lack of big play threats. The Birds have faith that JJ Arcega Whiteside will take a step forward year two as a possession guy / Red Zone threat and that Greg Ward will continue to improve as their slot guy. So you have a possession guy, a slot possession guy, 2 great TE's and a solid running game … so what's left? Outside speed …

I think their plan going into the draft was to snag either one of the top 3 receivers via trade up “if” price was right “or” Jalen Reagor at 21. When Lamb fell to 16 they tried to trade up, but the asking price was a 2nd rounder so they passed with the thinking that Reagor would likely be there at 21 which he was. Once Reagor was in tow, I think the plan shifted to Marquise Goodwin via trade as the next piece … they just needed to find the right time to swing the trade (which they eventually did). I think what they did not anticipate was that two receivers who fit the outside speed they were looking for (aside from Reagor) fell right into their laps in back to back later rounds. See, I think what the Eagles had in mind was to rotate Reagor, a healthy Djax and Goodwin to make sure we always had at least one healthy speed option available for Wentz. The draft broke their way however and they got two big play guys I don't think they ever imagined would drop that far. With so much depth at the WR position in this year's class combined with teams needing to address other positions ... allowed John Hightower and Quez Watkins, two big play speed receivers, to drop right into the Eagles lap in the 5th and 6th rounds. So now, the Eagles went from having no speed to having the “good” problem of having too many options.

Let's look at these guys on an individual basis:

# 1 DeSean Jackson – We're going to ride out Jackson till the end for his speed. He showed last season he still has plenty of turbo left to go deep and has become a very good route runner later in his career. The question with him will always be … how many games will we get out of him? If we can get 10 regular season games out of Jackson we should see good results. These young guys are all going to look up to him and unlike early in his career, I think he'll be up to the task. I have a feeling DeSean is going to be up to the challenge and have a really good 2020. He's going to be used in both the slot and outside depending on match ups.

# 2 Jalen Reagor – Reagor is going to line up mostly on the outside as your go deep guy, but he's also going to be used a ton on WR screens, end arounds, sweeps and trick plays. His run after the catch explosiveness will be considered as the Eagles draw up plays for him. As long as DJAX remains healthy, Wentz is going to have a lot of fun with a potential big play on every play where both Reagor and Jackson are together on the field.

# 3 JJ Arcega Whiteside – I'm going to give JJ a bit of a pass for his rookie season as the Eagles cross trained him on all WR positions instead of having him just focus on one. I'm “hoping in year two they try to sharpen his skills on just one position which is likely going to be the Alshon Jeffery role. He fits best as a 3rd down and Red Zone player where he thrived at Stanford. With many receivers you see a huge difference year two and that's what we need to see from JJAW. The leash won't be too long though with so many options this year. He needs to show off the jump that he knows the playbook and is ready for a big role.

# 4 Marquise Goodwin – This dude may absolutely thrive with Wentz if he can find a way to stay healthy. I watched some film when he was with the Niners and everyone over there kept under throwing him. Time and time again he had college separation deep and he would have to slow down and compete for a contested ball. His speed is evident and at 29 he still has a couple of years left of prime wheels. A 3 WR set of Jackson, Reagor and Goodwin along with either Ertz or Goedert working the middle will be very tuff to stop. The key however, just like Djax, will be in staying away from injury. I think the Eagles will use him sparingly behind Jackson and Reagor to keep those guys fresh. The Eagles re-did his contract where he will be a free agent in 2021 in exchange for cutting his 2020 salary … so Goodwin has a world of incentive to have a big year and hit free agency in 2021.

# 5 Greg Ward – Ward did a really nice job for us when we needed him and he'll keep a role in the slot this year as well to a certain extent. I do think that this year the Birds will use several players in the slot depending on match-ups. Ward does not have outside type speed or explosion, so unless a lot of things go wrong, he's not going to be counted on as much as he was down the stretch in 2019. I think under regular off season circumstances he would get challenged in the slot by rookie Quez Watkins, but with a likely shortened camp/preseason, I think Ward will keep his role due to knowing that slot playbook.

# 6 John Hightower – Hightower is a silky smooth, easy gliding, fast, outside threat. He can afford to gain 5-8 lbs of muscle to help him with the pro game, but the Eagles won't ask him to be an every down guy year 1. He'll be worked in here and there, but his role year one will be to learn and be ready to contribute should we suffer a bunch of injuries. His future is bright though and I think the Eagles stole a good one in Rd 5. I highly doubt the Eagles will expose him to the practice squad, but he'll probably be on the not dressed list on most weeks.

# 7 Quez Watkins – This is the biggest wild card of the Eagles receivers. A true burner, but also a receiver who's an excellent hands catcher and works the middle of the field very well. His biggest question mark is his level of competition and being able to run a pro route tree. He is a dark horse to end up as the Eagles primary slot receiver if he shows he can handle the physical part of being an NFL receiver. A shortened preseason will go against him as he has less chance to learn the playbook and impress. He's a likely candidate for the practice squad, but if any one of the guys above him gets hurt prior to the season, he's likely to make the team.

PUP List Alshon Jeffery – Anything is possible with Alshon. I think he may get traded eventually for a late round pick in the 2021 draft. He may still get released or he may just stick and start the year on the PUP list. I'm not counting on Alshon one way or the other. I think best case “realistic” scenario is that he gets healthy late and we bring him back for the stretch run as a Red Zone role player.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good write up and good thread, Rey.

Quez is speed for the slot. I was his biggest fan anywhere I could find and I'm thrilled we snagged him. I've never liked restricting our slot guy to the short area, I want him to go deep and the TEs to run underneath him. I've always liked this type of route combination and we can't really run it right with Ward, Matthews, Whiteside, Perkins, Burton or anyone else we've put there without burner speed. He won't be asked to play outside because he'll have trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. Not a crisp route runner, he's savvy though and gets open with clean hands.

Hightower I think they'll teach all the positions to and he'll drop into the lineup whenever Goodwin and/or Jackson aren't available. On 3rd down I'm throwing to Ward over Hightower, but on 1st down I'm throwing to Hightower over Ward. Should be good for a spot big play any week.

I have loved Goodwin for about 3 years now when it looked like he was about to take that jump from a speed guy to a true #1. Lots of injury trouble and other reasons for being unavailable over that timeframe. Hopefully a lot of that is behind him. He can help teach the young guys about being a speedster in this league. In 2020, he'll get the regular work that Watkins and Hightower are too green for. He can line up as our starting slot receiver and move around with Reagor as formations dictate.

Ward could end up back on the practice squad. If these young guys are running wrong routes or dropping too many balls they'll turn to Ward to give Wentz a more reliable target, but he's a backup option that you hope you don't have to rely on ever again.

It can take two or three years for some WRs to figure out playing in this league, but Whiteside was supposed to be pro ready. I'm worried he was a total whiff and he could get cut unless he shows there's something to work with in his skillset. He's the only one with size and if he can play on the outside that would be great to give cornerbacks different looks.

Reagor will be lightning with or without the ball. They'll move him around and use him to scare the defense. You have to know where he is. Doug will design the ball into his hands on sweeps, screens and anything else he can think up. He'll be running deep on the outside when the tightends are the first look and create a lot of space for everyone. When we lineup Desean, Reagor and Goodwin we will be lining up three of the fastest players in the entire league.

Desean, just stay healthy baby!

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great input guys.
There is an important caveat though, the OLine must hold to give Wentz/Hurts enough time to throw the deep route.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I’ve said this before but you guys are the tits with the content you bring. I would just add that this embarrassment of riches in speed helps them employ something a lot of teams don’t have. Everybody thinks about pushing the ball down the field vertically which is paramount. But if you have multiple options with top end speed to stretch the defense, having more speed to run horizontally short vs man coverage gives Wentz an easy throw and opportunity for some YAC with dangerous people like Reagor with the ball in his hands. There’s no substitute for speed and getting faster is the single best thing the organization addressed in this draft.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an abundance of riches on the speed receiver front. So much so that I think that priority can be handled whatever happens.

My concern from a receiver standpoint becomes a possession guy. Maybe that’s not as important with these two TEs and Sanders catching abilities. But it’s still good to have.

I’m hopeful JJAW just needs the chance to concentrate on one role built to his talents. But I’m also concerned he’s a bust, rational or not.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the one game where DeSean Jackson was 100% healthy last season the Eagles brass saw what life could be like if Carson Wentz had that option in the game plan on a regular basis. I think they decided after the season that they were not going to have Wentz go through another season with a lack of big play threats. The Birds have faith that JJ Arcega Whiteside will take a step forward year two as a possession guy / Red Zone threat and that Greg Ward will continue to improve as their slot guy. So you have a possession guy, a slot possession guy, 2 great TE's and a solid running game … so what's left? Outside speed …

I think their plan going into the draft was to snag either one of the top 3 receivers via trade up “if” price was right “or” Jalen Reagor at 21. When Lamb fell to 16 they tried to trade up, but the asking price was a 2nd rounder so they passed with the thinking that Reagor would likely be there at 21 which he was. Once Reagor was in tow, I think the plan shifted to Marquise Goodwin via trade as the next piece … they just needed to find the right time to swing the trade (which they eventually did). I think what they did not anticipate was that two receivers who fit the outside speed they were looking for (aside from Reagor) fell right into their laps in back to back later rounds. See, I think what the Eagles had in mind was to rotate Reagor, a healthy Djax and Goodwin to make sure we always had at least one healthy speed option available for Wentz. The draft broke their way however and they got two big play guys I don't think they ever imagined would drop that far. With so much depth at the WR position in this year's class combined with teams needing to address other positions ... allowed John Hightower and Quez Watkins, two big play speed receivers, to drop right into the Eagles lap in the 5th and 6th rounds. So now, the Eagles went from having no speed to having the “good” problem of having too many options.

Let's look at these guys on an individual basis:

# 1 DeSean Jackson – We're going to ride out Jackson till the end for his speed. He showed last season he still has plenty of turbo left to go deep and has become a very good route runner later in his career. The question with him will always be … how many games will we get out of him? If we can get 10 regular season games out of Jackson we should see good results. These young guys are all going to look up to him and unlike early in his career, I think he'll be up to the task. I have a feeling DeSean is going to be up to the challenge and have a really good 2020. He's going to be used in both the slot and outside depending on match ups.

# 2 Jalen Reagor – Reagor is going to line up mostly on the outside as your go deep guy, but he's also going to be used a ton on WR screens, end arounds, sweeps and trick plays. His run after the catch explosiveness will be considered as the Eagles draw up plays for him. As long as DJAX remains healthy, Wentz is going to have a lot of fun with a potential big play on every play where both Reagor and Jackson are together on the field.

# 3 JJ Arcega Whiteside – I'm going to give JJ a bit of a pass for his rookie season as the Eagles cross trained him on all WR positions instead of having him just focus on one. I'm “hoping in year two they try to sharpen his skills on just one position which is likely going to be the Alshon Jeffery role. He fits best as a 3rd down and Red Zone player where he thrived at Stanford. With many receivers you see a huge difference year two and that's what we need to see from JJAW. The leash won't be too long though with so many options this year. He needs to show off the jump that he knows the playbook and is ready for a big role.

# 4 Marquise Goodwin – This dude may absolutely thrive with Wentz if he can find a way to stay healthy. I watched some film when he was with the Niners and everyone over there kept under throwing him. Time and time again he had college separation deep and he would have to slow down and compete for a contested ball. His speed is evident and at 29 he still has a couple of years left of prime wheels. A 3 WR set of Jackson, Reagor and Goodwin along with either Ertz or Goedert working the middle will be very tuff to stop. The key however, just like Djax, will be in staying away from injury. I think the Eagles will use him sparingly behind Jackson and Reagor to keep those guys fresh. The Eagles re-did his contract where he will be a free agent in 2021 in exchange for cutting his 2020 salary … so Goodwin has a world of incentive to have a big year and hit free agency in 2021.

# 5 Greg Ward – Ward did a really nice job for us when we needed him and he'll keep a role in the slot this year as well to a certain extent. I do think that this year the Birds will use several players in the slot depending on match-ups. Ward does not have outside type speed or explosion, so unless a lot of things go wrong, he's not going to be counted on as much as he was down the stretch in 2019. I think under regular off season circumstances he would get challenged in the slot by rookie Quez Watkins, but with a likely shortened camp/preseason, I think Ward will keep his role due to knowing that slot playbook.

# 6 John Hightower – Hightower is a silky smooth, easy gliding, fast, outside threat. He can afford to gain 5-8 lbs of muscle to help him with the pro game, but the Eagles won't ask him to be an every down guy year 1. He'll be worked in here and there, but his role year one will be to learn and be ready to contribute should we suffer a bunch of injuries. His future is bright though and I think the Eagles stole a good one in Rd 5. I highly doubt the Eagles will expose him to the practice squad, but he'll probably be on the not dressed list on most weeks.

# 7 Quez Watkins – This is the biggest wild card of the Eagles receivers. A true burner, but also a receiver who's an excellent hands catcher and works the middle of the field very well. His biggest question mark is his level of competition and being able to run a pro route tree. He is a dark horse to end up as the Eagles primary slot receiver if he shows he can handle the physical part of being an NFL receiver. A shortened preseason will go against him as he has less chance to learn the playbook and impress. He's a likely candidate for the practice squad, but if any one of the guys above him gets hurt prior to the season, he's likely to make the team.

PUP List Alshon Jeffery – Anything is possible with Alshon. I think he may get traded eventually for a late round pick in the 2021 draft. He may still get released or he may just stick and start the year on the PUP list. I'm not counting on Alshon one way or the other. I think best case “realistic” scenario is that he gets healthy late and we bring him back for the stretch run as a Red Zone role player.

It's a good thing that they have Godwin and DJax to help mentor these younger kids. These two have been long enough to be able to show them the ropes and what is required to be a successful pro.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great input guys.
There is an important caveat though, the OLine must hold to give Wentz/Hurts enough time to throw the deep route.

Yeah like is Brooks going to be able to start after his season ending injury?
Will the former first round be able to take over Peters spot?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im still expecting Peters back with us. So much so I had to check this morning as I thought he already was.

FWIW, I would take Peters back in more of a rotational role that I expected last year. He has fallen talent wise, but that’s still a pretty good talent level (increase in False Starts and all)

Brooks is a good question. I guess I have not worried so much since he came back from the last injury so well. I think the mixed bag of depth could work out with a guy like Stoutland running them. The dream of what Jordan Mailata could be is on its last gasp. I could also see them bringing in one more good vet for depth.

The big question with OL is in how this offseason is able to play out. How soon can they start practicing? How much practice this offseason will they get? There is already talk of abbreviated camps (at best) and no preseason games.

Are we setting up Wentz to get crushed those first few games? If so the Hurts pick might come in much sooner than anyone thought.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FWIW, Lane Johnson stepped out yesterday and offered a guess that JP will be back. I’ll feel better if he’s on the roster. I don’t want him to be the starting LT. But I do want him to check some of that big ego (in part that made him a borderline Hall of Famer) and bump inside to guard for the last few years of his career. I think that would make the guard spot better as well the OL overall.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Mailata, if isn't going to make it as an OT, I hope that they try him as TE. I think he could be a good one. Just me.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Mailata, if isn't going to make it as an OT, I hope that they try him as TE. I think he could be a good one. Just me.

I could see him as a 3rd TE that plays as an extra blocker on run downs. But I don’t think he can give you the other things you need at TE. For me it’s, he’s an OL or release.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can catch they would have tried him last year when we had no one.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess with me the whole JP thing is durability, he is slowing down and the injuries are more and more. I thought the whole deal was drafting Dillard would be the answer to the aging JP

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess with me the whole JP thing is durability, he is slowing down and the injuries are more and more. I thought the whole deal was drafting Dillard would be the answer to the aging JP

Yeah it’s hard to make sense of all the Dillard smoke heard around the draft. From what I could see, dude looked pretty comfortable on the left side and he played well. He had a great preseason too. I think he wasn’t ready to shift to RT and that crushed some confidence in him belonging. Some of the smoke on him has been adjusting to the NFL so who knows. We’re not in the locker room. At the same time, troubling.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it’s hard to make sense of all the Dillard smoke heard around the draft. From what I could see, dude looked pretty comfortable on the left side and he played well. He had a great preseason too. I think he wasn’t ready to shift to RT and that crushed some confidence in him belonging. Some of the smoke on him has been adjusting to the NFL so who knows. We’re not in the locker room. At the same time, troubling.

Yeah I’m not believing the “rumors” the kid was out there in the Jumbo package towards the end of the season I think it’s all about him getting comfortable in the system and the position

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had some time to kill today, so I started watching some of our later picks and undrafted free agents ... Man, I have no idea how Quez Watkins dropped as low as he did. I get that the level of competition was not as good as some other WR prospects, but this kid flat out has the goods. He's not just a speed guy, he's an excellent ball tracker, great after the catch, can win jump balls (high points it) and also a player who hands catches almost everything. I mean, what am I missing?? There's no way this kid should have dropped as far as he did in the draft; I don't get it. I think any current Bird's WR not named DeSean Jackson better bring their A-game to the pre-season because these guys coming in are fast and talented!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on Quez from his college coach

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on Quez from his college coach

They’ve got a ton of bullets now. I like the competition that will be at this position when camp eventually starts someday. I just hope they view all these guys for how they perform, and not what round they were drafted in.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good write up, but my sense is Quez is going to be better than Hightower. Both have exciting upside but Quez is younger.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had some time to kill today, so I started watching some of our later picks and undrafted free agents ... Man, I have no idea how Quez Watkins dropped as low as he did. I get that the level of competition was not as good as some other WR prospects, but this kid flat out has the goods. He's not just a speed guy, he's an excellent ball tracker, great after the catch, can win jump balls (high points it) and also a player who hands catches almost everything. I mean, what am I missing?? There's no way this kid should have dropped as far as he did in the draft; I don't get it. I think any current Bird's WR not named DeSean Jackson better bring their A-game to the pre-season because these guys coming in are fast and talented!

That's what I was wondering all draft season. Everyone sleeping on the kid.

When we drafted Hightower I thought we blew our chance for Quez. But turns out Howie and Doug were were following my plan all along.