• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kap's New Throwing Motion

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/ ... 0820163587

My thoughts:

Biggest difference IMO is the footwork. Much more crisp than the plodding, flat-footed form we've seen from Kap over the past few years. In that regard, he looked like a different guy, though this is practice and we don't have much basis for comparison over the past four years in terms of his practice technique. He got a little slow and somewhat awkward toward the top of his drop, but clear improvement. His throwing motion itself is noticeably more compact and faster, though it's still elongated by league standards. And he still has that pitcher's follow-through, though again, it's improved.

That pass looks like a bullet. I'm eager to see some touch passes. Still, great to see that some changes have been made.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts:

Biggest difference IMO is the footwork. Much more crisp than the plodding, flat-footed form we've seen from Kap over the past few years. In that regard, he looked like a different guy, though this is practice and we don't have much basis for comparison over the past four years in terms of his practice technique. He got a little slow and somewhat awkward toward the top of his drop, but clear improvement. His throwing motion itself is noticeably more compact and faster, though it's still elongated by league standards. And he still has that pitcher's follow-through, though again, it's improved.

That pass looks like a bullet. I'm eager to see some touch passes. Still, great to see that some changes have been made.

Thanks for posting that. I was trying to find that a couple of weeks ago but only found a broken link. Can't expected radical change. I wouldn't expect him to be transformed into a QB with Montana's footwork and Marino's release. But with bettter footwork and improved release, hopefully accuracy is going to improve and at a minimum correct what went south last year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for posting that. I was trying to find that a couple of weeks ago but only found a broken link. Can't expected radical change. I wouldn't expect him to be transformed into a QB with Montana's footwork and Marino's release. But with bettter footwork and improved release, hopefully accuracy is going to improve and at a minimum correct what went south last year.

Find it a couple weeks ago? That's from yesterday's minicamp.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He may be inferring that he heard the comments a couple of weeks ago from Warner and Gile and probably scoured the bowels of the inter web to see if he could find some snippet of progress in video form. At least, that's my guess.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok. That is a different video then. There was another video floating around of kaepernick that someone posted at least a couple of weeks ago. It is from another earlier workout. The link was broken by the time I tried to view it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts:

My concern is that, like most people, he will revert to what is natural under pressure.

johnniner8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what kaepernick's throwing motion looks like. It's his brain, ability to read defenses and accuracy I want to see improve.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't care what kaepernick's throwing motion looks like. It's his brain, ability to read defenses and accuracy I want to see improve.

It seems that he spent a great deal of time working on watching film, reading defenses, etc. while he was down there. We'll see if that pays dividends. I would hope that ironing out some of the wrinkles in his throwing motion would lead to more consistency (read: improved accuracy). And a quicker release might let him get the ball in places where he couldn't before, thus limiting his need to read a D on certain plays.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All aspects were worked on. Regarding your last point on accuracy, throwing motion and footwork directly affects accuracy. We will see how things work out.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that he spent a great deal of time working on watching film, reading defenses, etc. while he was down there. We'll see if that pays dividends. I would hope that ironing out some of the wrinkles in his throwing motion would lead to more consistency (read: improved accuracy). And a quicker release might let him get the ball in places where he couldn't before, thus limiting his need to read a D on certain plays.
I applaude him for working as hard as he has this off-season. The weight room crap and media was annoying. I hope he can be be QB that the 9ers need but this is his last chance to prove his worth. No touch on the pass still conserns me...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks good. Big improvements it looks like. Happy he is trying to make the next step.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks good. Big improvements it looks like. Happy he is trying to make the next step.

Agree. Give him credit for knowing what his weaknesses were and the willingness to get better. Hope it pays off this season.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this/ Kap scares the crap out of me. He could make a great play, huge play at ANY moment. Watching the fight tonight (May/Pac), it was obvious that Pac needed a KO, and there was NO WAY that was gonna happen, with Kap, I feel that KO could happen at any moment. just sayin'

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throwing motion and footwork are really important. Just listen to one of Bill Walsh's interviews where he discusses the importance of footwork. And accuracy is tied to both. And he did work on mental aspects, reading defenses.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Looks like Maiocco also had video, which I missed somehow:

49ers' Kaepernick flashes new, re-tooled throwing motion | CSN Bay Area

Here we actually see the pass, and there's kind of touch on it! He's got a little hop right at the top of his drop, but otherwise it really does look like he's made some nice changes. He's not Drew Brees in terms of quick release, but his footwork and crisper throwing motion are noticeably different. Let's hope he can really commit to it during the offseason and get it ingrained, so when the bullets start flying he doesn't fall back on bad habits.

If this offseason work does take, it really raises questions about what the staff was doing with him over the past few years. Though with the current NFL schedule, it's hard to really work technique with a guy.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here we actually see the pass, and there's kind of touch on it! He's got a little hop right at the top of his drop, but otherwise it really does look like he's made some nice changes. He's not Drew Brees in terms of quick release, but his footwork and crisper throwing motion are noticeably different. Let's hope he can really commit to it during the offseason and get it ingrained, so when the bullets start flying he doesn't fall back on bad habits.

If this offseason work does take, it really raises questions about what the staff was doing with him over the past few years. Though with the current NFL schedule, it's hard to really work technique with a guy.

I will check out the video. Thanks for posting. I think most 49er fans have realistic expectations for Kap and are not expecting him to become Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. I practiced martial arts for years, and I can tell you from my experience breaking habits is much harder than originally learning a technique. In order to completely break the old habits, it just takes ALOT of reps. Doing it correctly over and over again.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just looked at it. You can definately see the difference. Quicker release. It looks like he is not winding up his throw like in the past. Did he shorten his dropback steps too? It kind of looks like that too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just looked at it. You can definately see the difference. Quicker release. It looks like he is not winding up his throw like in the past. Did he shorten his dropback steps too? It kind of looks like that too.

It sure looks that way. One of the reasons I think he takes more sacks and gets flustered more than he should is because of how far he would drop back on seven-step drops. Those long legs put him WAY back in the pocket, making it very tough for the OTs to divert blockers upfield past the pocket. I must say, I'm impressed with the two videos I've seen to date. Some obvious changes. Let's hope he's focused on maintaining them every single day of practice. As said, not expecting Brees or Rodgers, but any improvement would be great.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure looks that way. One of the reasons I think he takes more sacks and gets flustered more than he should is because of how far he would drop back on seven-step drops. Those long legs put him WAY back in the pocket, making it very tough for the OTs to divert blockers upfield past the pocket. I must say, I'm impressed with the two videos I've seen to date. Some obvious changes. Let's hope he's focused on maintaining them every single day of practice. As said, not expecting Brees or Rodgers, but any improvement would be great.

Vernon Davis wasn't kidding when he made those comments.