• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Breaking: PFT's unnamed sources are speculating that Kap will be traded to the Texans for the first overall pick and the 49ers will draft Manziel. Also, Harbaugh ate a grand slam breakfast at Denny's this morning and only tipped his disgruntled waiter $1.50. Said waiter was tired of Harbaugh's demeanor and had no doubt that if he played for the 49ers, he would definitely be unhappy.

You had me going with the first part....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was also the primary reason we lost the last game. Just sayin'.

That cuts both ways. He was the primary reason we were leading in the first half. If the D had played better, he wouldn't have had to take as many chances. That said, his performance throwing the football has been mediocre to date. We have to pay him to keep him, but I'm not willing to make him a top-5 QB when he still has one more year under an extremely low contract.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That cuts both ways. He was the primary reason we were leading in the first half. If the D had played better, he wouldn't have had to take as many chances. That said, his performance throwing the football has been mediocre to date. We have to pay him to keep him, but I'm not willing to make him a top-5 QB when he still has one more year under an extremely low contract.

Sad to say but so far he has been a glorified Tim Tebow to date.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have backed off of my Kap rant lately. If they can find a better middle ground for an extention that would be great. IMO he is not really worth more than 10 mil a year (I bumped that up a bit). The problem I really see here is other teams overpaying a player (Flacco, Romo, Cutler) to make a false benchmark for a QBs salary.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sad to say but so far he has been a glorified Tim Tebow to date.

He's a markedly better passer than Tebow. He's got lots of work to do, but right now he could play QB in the NFL even if he didn't have his legs. He'd just be a bottom-half starter without his legs.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a markedly better passer than Tebow. He's got lots of work to do, but right now he could play QB in the NFL even if he didn't have his legs. He'd just be a bottom-half starter without his legs.

For his sake I hope he keeps his legs... He's more Forget Gump not LT. Dan. :suds:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have backed off of my Kap rant lately. If they can find a better middle ground for an extention that would be great. IMO he is not really worth more than 10 mil a year (I bumped that up a bit). The problem I really see here is other teams overpaying a player (Flacco, Romo, Cutler) to make a false benchmark for a QBs salary.

The problem is, it's not false if that becomes the going rate. $10 million is unrealistic. I think there's a chance - given that taking a contract now would give Kap financial security - that he'd take something in the $15 million range, but I can't see him agreeing to a deal for much less than that.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fucking insane. He is not worth anything near 18M, let alone more. 10-12M over 2-3 years. He needs to prove he can make more than one read consistently, and become a more accurate passer. There's no need to drill a hole through your receivers abdomen from 7 yards away.

Touch is your friend.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap deserves a raise. If the Niners play it smart then they would bump up his pay to 4-5 mil this year, 7-8 mil next season then move to the big money paydays later on. But in the end all that matters is the guaranteed money. If the Niners go under 25 mil(even 30 mil) for the guaranteed money for Kap's extension that would be a win for them.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap deserves a raise. If the Niners play it smart then they would bump up his pay to 4-5 mil this year, 7-8 mil next season then move to the big money paydays later on. But in the end all that matters is the guaranteed money. If the Niners go under 25 mil(even 30 mil) for the guaranteed money for Kap's extension that would be a win for them.

I don't know how you would go 5 mil one year, 8 mil the next and so on; then offer 25-30 mil guaranteed. No way that's happening.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, it's not false if that becomes the going rate. $10 million is unrealistic. I think there's a chance - given that taking a contract now would give Kap financial security - that he'd take something in the $15 million range, but I can't see him agreeing to a deal for much less than that.
Sad but true. My point is that is should never have been the going rate as teams pay stupid money for players. I wonder how this would work if Albert Haynesworth was the going rate for DTs. If Kap gets 15 mil from the 9ers I will be shocked. IMO it won't happen. He might have to settle or wait until his contract is done. I did hear that he intends to honor his contract and not hold out...not sure if it true or not.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market sets the rate and unfortunately it has set it high. Is what it is.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you would go 5 mil one year, 8 mil the next and so on; then offer 25-30 mil guaranteed. No way that's happening.

It all depends on how the deal is structured. Say he has a 25 million signing bonus over 6 years which is 4.25 mil a year in guaranteed money. Then the Niners can put in a low base salary in his 1st 2 years of the extension. 1 mil base salary in 1st year(5.25 mil), 3-4 mil base salary in his 2nd year(8.25) then his base salary jumps into the 12-15 million range and then higher every year for the rest of the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sad but true. My point is that is should never have been the going rate as teams pay stupid money for players. I wonder how this would work if Albert Haynesworth was the going rate for DTs. If Kap gets 15 mil from the 9ers I will be shocked. IMO it won't happen. He might have to settle or wait until his contract is done. I did hear that he intends to honor his contract and not hold out...not sure if it true or not.

If they think he's the future, I think that's a relatively low figure.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The guaranteed money is what really matters here. If he's willing to take less guaranteed, then I'm fine with $18 million a year over the life of the contract. That was he can say he's in the top-whatever, but we have flexibility if he doesn't continue to improve. People talk about Brady "only" taking $14 million, but his entire contract was guaranteed.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they think he's the future, I think that's a relatively low figure.
I have to disagree. He has only been a starting QB for one full season. I just don't see how he is worthy of such a payday with so short of a career.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if he is asking for 18 million a year doesnt mean he will get it. Maybe we can talk him down to 16 or 16.5 million a year.