• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got to select a QB to groom in this draft. He doesn't have to have a franchise ceiling, but as long as he's capable of being a true game manager.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question for the 49ers is whether to take the Joe Flacco approach or the Matt Ryan approach. In 2012, the Ravens opted to let Flacco finish his rookie contract, and he did so with a Super Bowl MVP trophy. It backed the Ravens into a corner, forcing them to choose between making him the highest-paid quarterback in the league or starting down a year-to-year path under the exclusive franchise tag that would have given him more than $80 million in three years.

If the Niners take the Flacco approach, it could cost them (not much because 18 is high end, right now). If the Bengals take the Ryan approach, it could cost them. My recommendation would be for both to do the reverse of that. (But still try to get Kaepernick as low as possible in that range, just because less is better for teams.)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And really BRows had this report on Friday:

49ers Blog and Q&A: Jed York flies to Miami to _____________?
The recent deals signed by Tony Romo and Jay Cutler will serve as a baseline for negotiations. Both contracts average about $18 million per year. Kaepernick's team will shoot for more than that. After all, their client is younger and has more upside than Cutler and Romo. And unlike the latter, Kaepernick has been at his best in big games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The recent deals signed by Tony Romo and Jay Cutler will serve as a baseline for negotiations. Both contracts average about $18 million per year. Kaepernick's team will shoot for more than that. After all, their client is younger and has more upside than Cutler and Romo. And unlike the latter, Kaepernick has been at his best in big games.

Damn media, trying to tear this team apart! ;) Seriously though, I can see it in regards to the Harbaugh lockerroom stuff - answer the media in the press conferences better and you won't get this hatred. Sensitive media.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So much for the hometown discount, LOL. I really don't expect those anyway.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck, 18 mil a year is waaaay to much for the kind of numbers Kap puts up. How about the fact he has had a top 3 running game and defense helping him be successful something Cutler and Romo have not had. 15 Mill a year would be ok I think, with a bunch of performance incentives included.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck, 18 mil a year is waaaay to much for the kind of numbers Kap puts up. How about the fact he has had a top 3 running game and defense helping him be successful something Cutler and Romo have not had. 15 Mill a year would be ok I think, with a bunch of performance incentives included.

The numbers are affected by that top 3 running game both positive and negative, efficiency and total production. Top three running game makes his passing more efficient as the defense has to account for both or is fooled into only defending the run. The top 3 running game being used means fewer passes to amass numbers like the top QBs. This is why Kaepernick (7.69 - 8th in 2013)and Smith (7.97 - 5th in 2012) had great top 8 YPAs but low total passing yards.

The defense took pressure off the QBs, as it either meant they didn't have to take the risks, just keep the ball and score a FG or better. Or it allowed some risk because they knew the defense had their back. However, this also leads to fewer passes and lower total production. Positively, it lead to less garbage time statistics.

I do like your idea of incentives. Maybe they could make the contract average at 18 when including incentives, but then the real number be 15 or so. They could apply that to a bridge contract in which the next extension has more base or they could always restructure or extend mid-contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to put Kap on the trading block and let's make a deal fashion. Draft a qb to groom and sing a qb in free agency to take over.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would take a discount if I already made 100mil. But he has made pennies like it or not. Nobody should be surprised about this. Yes we know he has great Def & running game. But the QB position is the most important. I dnt want them 2 pay him that much. But it ain't my money. Time 2 make really tough roster decisions guys. God I pray!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a discount if I already made 100mil. But he has made pennies like it or not. Nobody should be surprised about this. Yes we know he has great Def & running game. But the QB position is the most important. I dnt want them 2 pay him that much. But it ain't my money. Time 2 make really tough roster decisions guys. God I pray!!

Individually more important, but collectively, the defense is more important than the QB alone. You might say duh because it's multiple positions, but when a defense is collective and losing one piece can be bigger than its individual impact, losing a defensiveman because of the QBs big contract can hurt the team a lot. Losing the QB would hurt the collective offense, less so if the defense requires less offensive output. Not every QB can do it, but the less you ask of a QB, the more QBs who can.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ok. But we'll find out soon enuff. But does it really surprise anyone!! Bcuz it shouldn't his agent is gonna look at those other QB contracts.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Time to put Kap on the trading block and let's make a deal fashion. Draft a qb to groom and sing a qb in free agency to take over.

Breaking: PFT's unnamed sources are speculating that Kap will be traded to the Texans for the first overall pick and the 49ers will draft Manziel. Also, Harbaugh ate a grand slam breakfast at Denny's this morning and only tipped his disgruntled waiter $1.50. Said waiter was tired of Harbaugh's demeanor and had no doubt that if he played for the 49ers, he would definitely be unhappy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking: PFT's unnamed sources are speculating that Kap will be traded to the Texans for the first overall pick and the 49ers will draft Manziel. Also, Harbaugh ate a grand slam breakfast at Denny's this morning and only tipped his disgruntled waiter $1.50. Said waiter was tired of Harbaugh's demeanor and had no doubt that if he played for the 49ers, he would definitely be unhappy.

I don't believe this report at all. Do you really think PFT would say "waiter" or "Denny's" or "grand slam breakfast" instead of "waiter or waitress" and "restaurant that asked to be kept anonymous" and "some objectionable meal of some kind"?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont expect players to give hometown discounts, it is a business and they will usually try to get best deal. Kap is the one who brought it up about taking less, maybe he thinks he is worth in excess.of $20 mill.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the regular season I can buy this. In the post season? Kap was the primary reason the Niners won or were in those games.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was also the primary reason we lost the last game. Just sayin'.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really thinks he's worth 18 mil a year, he can hit the road. With what he's shown so far, I wouldn't go over 10 a year. If we sign him for that, you can say goodbye to Crabtree and Aldon, and I'd much rather keep those two.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't see how the baseline could be Romo and Cutler. Those guys were entering FA. They had all the leverage. Will Kap really turn down $25+ million guaranteed, and $12+ million this season to play on a contract that pays him less than a million? Flacco did it, but his rookie contract was for $30 million, so he was pretty set regardless of his second contract. Kap isn't. If he's going to play hardball with an $18 million/year figure, fine. Let him play for one million next year, risk injury, and barring a SB win, we'll pay him $19 million next year.