• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields granted waiver

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who gets paid on apparel sales? Is it only on their jerseys or is on the University Football shirts? Do you pay all players or just the scholarship players? What stops a booster from paying a player $25,000 for an autograph? Teams start guaranteeing signing bonuses and now we have bidding wars and the weak get weaker and it will be even more unbalanced than it is now.

You really think some kid going to Alabama or USC or Ohio State isn't already getting more under the table than a kid at Tulsa? Unicorns and the easter bunny

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they shouldn’t be given any opportunity to go to college and attempt to better themselves?

So knowing that something shouldn't change? If i gave you the opportunity to be an astronaut or a navy seal and took for years of your work for that opportunity. Is it a good deal if you could no way become an astronaut or a Navy seal?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think some kid going to Alabama or USC or Ohio State isn't already getting more under the table than a kid at Tulsa? Unicorns and the easter bunny
Maybe you missed the “even more unbalanced” portion of the post. Yes I know teams like OSU or USC or tossing out more cash to players than an MSU or Kansas.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So knowing that something shouldn't change? If i gave you the opportunity to be an astronaut or a navy seal and took for years of your work for that opportunity. Is it a good deal if you could no way become an astronaut or a Navy seal?
No one has a gun to their head making them come to college to get free living situation and sorostitutes. These kids aren’t being abused. I would like to take the chance of landing a multi million dollar job if things go right. But hey, these poor poor kids should just be left in bad living situations because high school force them to learn how to read. That’s definitely much better for them than maybe becoming an NFL player.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama gave out over 5,000 to each player this year. That doesn't include the much more valuable coaching, training, education, food and everything else which totals to about $125,000 per player in costs per year.

And these are the guys getting screwed over.

That's why I'm laughing.

I think it's as simple as letting them profit off their likeness. Yep it will open the barn door for all kinds of stuff but it's not like it doesnt already happen. Gets tricky with uniforms though I will admit

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has a gun to their head making them come to college to get free living situation and sorostitutes. These kids aren’t being abused. I would like to take the chance of landing a multi million dollar job if things go right. But hey, these poor poor kids should just be left in bad living situations because high school force them to learn how to read. That’s definitely much better for them than maybe becoming an NFL player.

Thats quite a recruiting pitch. I wonder if they use that. lol.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats quite a recruiting pitch. I wonder if they use that. lol.
Well you would prefer to give them no opportunity to improve their life situation because schools have not prepared them for life.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's as simple as letting them profit off their likeness. Yep it will open the barn door for all kinds of stuff but it's not like it doesnt already happen. Gets tricky with uniforms though I will admit

It's all good until I'm a booster who promises to buy $500k worth of likeness stuff if they sign with X school. It may happen already, but you can't just openly allow it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you would prefer to give them no opportunity to improve their life situation because schools have not prepared them for life.

Well they arent recruiting 2500 high school scholars to play football. They are recruiting kids who play football on a high level. Giving them classes that many aren't equipped to take advantage of doesn't really cost the school much and is disingenuous. The fact that UNC with their hundreds of kids taking fake classes gets little punishment but some kid selling a jersey or signature gets banished and gets the school on probation should tell you something . That it's about having the kids to sell their work and no one getting a piece of that pie and the education is of little concern to them. These are young sometimes uneducated kids and parents. The school should know better.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good until I'm a booster who promises to buy $500k worth of likeness stuff if they sign with X school. It may happen already, but you can't just openly allow it.

Honestly I used to have a stronger opinion on this but the further I get from college age the more I'd be game for easy tail and some football and play a little school

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I used to have a stronger opinion on this but the further I get from college age the more I'd be game for easy tail and some football and play a little school

There are people who sign up for the military, have to put their lives in danger, get paid LESS than what college football players get now, and they have to do it for 3 years minimum and that's just to get them to pay for the tuition, doesn't include the food and room and boarding while you are in school, you'll still have to work and go to school at the same time unless you get loans and such.

It's an awesome deal. It's like the top 1% of the players that are really worth big money, and they aren't worth that until AFTER they are in college a few years and it's in thanks to the school helping them along.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you . Some might be doing it already. But it says we wont give you more because someone might go too far.
I just think the TV money the NCAA is getting from TV contracts there is billions that is getting spread around and the players are still on the same deal players in 1950 were on

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are people who sign up for the military, have to put their lives in danger, get paid LESS than what college football players get now, and they have to do it for 3 years minimum and that's just to get them to pay for the tuition, doesn't include the food and room and boarding while you are in school, you'll still have to work and go to school at the same time unless you get loans and such.

It's an awesome deal. It's like the top 1% of the players that are really worth big money, and they aren't worth that until AFTER they are in college a few years and it's in thanks to the school helping them along.

I think If the NCAA would ease up on dumb shit like paying for lunches and stuff a lot of this might subside. Treat it like getting busted with recreational marijuana or something. There's the law and then there's reality and I think we are all able to see what's a problematic trend and what's harmless.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they arent recruiting 2500 high school scholars to play football. They are recruiting kids who play football on a high level. Giving them classes that many aren't equipped to take advantage of doesn't really cost the school much and is disingenuous. The fact that UNC with their hundreds of kids taking fake classes gets little punishment but some kid selling a jersey or signature gets banished and gets the school on probation should tell you something . That it's about having the kids to sell their work and no one getting a piece of that pie and the education is of little concern to them. These are young sometimes uneducated kids and parents. The school should know better.
So we should be paying McDonalds burger flippers $150 an hour since corporate is making bank and they are doing all the work and getting next to nothing for their effort. So what is your suggestion that would be better for the player and their families if they are not prepared for college? The XFL?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True but you're pretty much guaranteed a decent job when you get out and they test you to make sure you the have smarts to finish that MOS schooling or they don't send you to that school. Many of these players have no business being in college except they play good football. But they are allowed in even with much lower scores than the average student.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we should be paying McDonalds burger flippers $150 an hour since corporate is making bank and they are doing all the work and getting next to nothing for their effort. So what is your suggestion that would be better for the player and their families if they are not prepared for college? The XFL?

How many people at 18 are talented enough to play college football at that level? I'm guessing a lot less than can flip a burger. That's a horrible analogy.
My suggestion is to have some sort of fund put away for the kid where at the end of his playing days if he's not someone who belonged in college he can get some sort or training or tech school where he might have a chance to make a living and he doesn't have to rely on some alum giving him some scrap of a job. Look at Vince Young. That dude got no education . failed in the NFL and has no skills He at least had money for a few years. But there's plenty of Vince Youngs who didn't have the talent to even sniff the NFL.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still get their scholarship. That's rich coming from a fan of I didn't come here to play school U. Many of these kids aren't college material and are only there because they can play football so them keeping their scholarship after blowing out their knee or getting too many concussions is like telling someone hey you won two years free at medical school or law school. It's worthless if you just can't do that kinda work. Yes at USC they do the same. But there's a large percentage who aren't equipped to be real student. It's sad but it's true and these schools still take these players knowing fully well their talent it restricted to football.
Dumbass response, considering he actually went back and finished his degree.

You're right, many of these kids wouldn't be college material if not for football. Do you know how grateful I would've been to be in that situation? I get a free education, tutors, amazing exercise facilities, and then countless professional connections after school if I'm not a pro? Good lord, it's incredible that there are people who look at these free educations as if they're worthless when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Reactions: gob

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbass response, considering he actually went back and finished his degree.

You're right, many of these kids wouldn't be college material if not for football. Do you know how grateful I would've been to be in that situation? I get a free education, tutors, amazing exercise facilities, and then countless professional connections after school if I'm not a pro? Good lord, it's incredible that there are people who look at these free educations as if they're worthless when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

What good is it being in college if you're not college material? It's only worth something if you are an actual college student material . Like I said its like giving you free medical school but you're not equipped to do whats required to actually get that degree. Instead they put these players in basket weaving hand them a degree so they feel like they were given something and the school can wash their hands. I love college football as much as anyone but they could do better.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good is it being in college if you're not college material? It's only worth something if you are an actual college student material . Like I said its like giving you free medical school but you're not equipped to do whats required to actually get that degree. Instead they put these players in basket weaving hand them a degree so they feel like they were given something and the school can wash their hands. I love college football as much as anyone but they could do better.
How can they do better? By not bringing these players in and giving them an opportunity to set themselves up for the rest of their lives? What’s an easier path to the NFL, Burger King or college? Even if they don’t graduate from college, they can get jobs based on the name recognition in that area. Did Texas do Vince Young a disservice but letting him go to school because he would have been better off being barely literate and no one knowing who he is and unable to get a semi decent job? You should be taking issue with the junior high and high schools for not properly educating people To be capable to function as an adult. Even if you think these colleges are screwing them over, they are in a better situation after college than they would be had they never went to the school.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty ignorant statement for a variety of reasons here, wow.

For starters, are you saying you were the exact same person at 22 as you were at 18? Do you think all college kids are exactly the same person after spending 4-5 years in college as they were when they graduated high school? I know I was dramatically more grown up and equipped to be independent.

Secondly, a lot of these kids come from nothing, and they take to college and academia once they get there because it's a nurturing environment that they've never had. They're not all taking basket weaving either, that's just stupid. As I said earlier, if these kids take academics seriously, they are better men for it. Not only that, but being in college and away from home helps you grow up, and it's an opportunity these kids wouldn't have without football. The amount of players that have come through OSU and been better off for it in terms of professional opportunities outside of football is countless. The fact that they get this experience for free for playing football is easily worth the effort. What would you say they should be doing otherwise?