• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fields trade value barometer

What is fields currently worth on the trade market?

• Current and future 1st rounder + change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Current first and some change

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Future conditional first and some change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second and some change

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Third and some change

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Less

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda what we do here. Draft developmental players and then hire first-time head coaches who don't develop them.
So much fun.
There are 3 basic strategies to deal with a QB with great athletic traits but limited passing ability:
1) You can cater to his strengths, in which he'll keep doing what he's doing and likely won't develop. His athletic traits may be able to overcome his limitations. Potentially you can be successful that way, until his traits fade or he develops.
2) You can concentrate on his weaknesses rather than his strengths, which will most likely accelerate his development but you won't get decent performances until he develops, (if he ever does).
3) You can move on to the next project who has fewer limitations or more cheap contract time.
With Fields late in his 3rd NFL season option 3 is probably the most sensible choice, followed by option 1. HC experience is likely only a small factor.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
Wonder what the margin is for good and bad coaches?
Bengals lose Burrow (8-6). Viking lose Cousins and Jefferson (7-7) and yet their coaches have those player competing.

all this

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's going to be enough of a market to drive the price up to 2nd and some change, IMO. He is a QB, after all. There's also probably a couple of GM's that are convinced they can turn him into a star.

And now with Washington benching Howell,thats almost assuredly they be going qb......they should end up top 4 or better.

At one time,Howell looked viable enough to keep for another season,but hes been woeful as of late......

Another team needing a qb with a handful of qbs on the draft board....
I definetley can see us getting a no.2 for JF.......

Last edited:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I started this thread, I was pretty certain we would trade fields. Now, I’m back on the fence. If fields goes into Green Bay and eliminate their play off hopes, I say we bring him back next year. If he goes into Green Bay and looks like the beginning of the year, I’m ready to move on.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears beat Green Bay I am 100% on board with whatever these guys do this offseason. I won't complain a bit.

That being said...I fully expect a kick in the balls loss. Because the Bears love soul crushing losses against GB the last week of the season. It's one of our traditions.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bears beat Green Bay I am 100% on board with whatever these guys do this offseason. I won't complain a bit.

That being said...I fully expect a kick in the balls loss. Because the Bears love soul crushing losses against GB the last week of the season. It's one of our traditions.
That’s why I’m on board with keeping him if he can improve against GB. If he crushes the packers souls, then he earns another year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. I'm back on the fence on Fields. He is playing better this year than last year which was better than his first year. He has improved. He should eventually hit a ceiling, but I'm not sure he has hit it yet.

No clue what Poles will do.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea. I'm back on the fence on Fields. He is playing better this year than last year which was better than his first year. He has improved. He should eventually hit a ceiling, but I'm not sure he has hit it yet.

No clue what Poles will do.
That's the $64k question or perhaps with inflation, it now should be the $256k question. I'm no longer sitting on the fence. I'm 100% for keeping Fields and using that #1 pick for a draft haul. The big issue is whether or not Poles & co agrees, because all our opinions don't mean jack. I'm just hoping the Bears plan to take my stance on the matter.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the $64k question or perhaps with inflation, it now should be the $256k question. I'm no longer sitting on the fence. I'm 100% for keeping Fields and using that #1 pick for a draft haul. The big issue is whether or not Poles & co agrees, because all our opinions don't mean jack. I'm just hoping the Bears plan to take my stance on the matter.

In the right offense you know you probably have at worst a middling qb for the next half decade plus before his athleticism wanes.

one potential alternative is any of the "home run" qb prospects end up being atrocious.

And if Fields is shit (worst case scenario) they take those picks and get another qb in a future draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the right offense you know you probably have at worst a middling qb for the next half decade plus before his athleticism wanes.

one potential alternative is any of the "home run" qb prospects end up being atrocious.

And if Fields is shit (worst case scenario) they take those picks and get another qb in a future draft.
All of your potential scenarios could very well come true. As it often is in today's NFL, it's almost more a roll of the dice than true skill evaluations when it comes to whether or not college talent translates successfully to the pros. Nevertheless, I'm very comfortable giving Fields another year and using that Carolina pick on another draft haul. I just hope Poles is as well.

Reactions: DJ

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of your potential scenarios could very well come true. As it often is in today's NFL, it's almost more a roll of the dice than true skill evaluations when it comes to whether or not college talent translates successfully to the pros. Nevertheless, I'm very comfortable giving Fields another year and using that Carolina pick on another draft haul. I just hope Poles is as well.

Qb is just full of intangibles that don't seem to present themselves until you get in the league. My biggest concern with Williams is he's a ball holder too. But he's not Fields quick and elusive.

His S2 test may very well clinch it one way or the other for Chicago. It's all conjecture at this point lol

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, that would still be better than any qb's the Bears have had since McMahon. AND, the Bears went to a Superbowl v. The Colts.

What worries all of us, I'm sure, is the unknown or "potential" alternative. The last "sure thing" was Trevor Lawrence. He is a solid middle of the road NFL starter these days. That doesn't inspire confidence in the term "sure thing".

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have 1 more year on Fields rookie deal, no?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone has read this,but heres an ESPN analyst take on JFs value:

A third-round pick is indicative of the value Justin Fields has among GMs across the league. Fields has improved but not so much that teams are willing to part with valuable draft capital to invest him as their future at QB. If the rest of the NFL doesn’t want to invest in Justin Fields as a potential franchise QB option, it’s even more obvious that the Chicago Bears shouldn’t consider Justin Fields as the future of their franchise.

Makes for an interesting take.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone has read this,but heres an ESPN analyst take on JFs value:

A third-round pick is indicative of the value Justin Fields has among GMs across the league. Fields has improved but not so much that teams are willing to part with valuable draft capital to invest him as their future at QB. If the rest of the NFL doesn’t want to invest in Justin Fields as a potential franchise QB option, it’s even more obvious that the Chicago Bears shouldn’t consider Justin Fields as the future of their franchise.

Makes for an interesting take.......
If it's true that at best Poles could only receive a 3rd round pick for Fields, and personally I think that's quite debatable, then it makes an even stronger case for not trading him. It only strengthens my argument that we wouldn't lose that much in trade value if we hold onto him for another season, then perhaps trade him in '25. I'm going to continue saying this until something happens - we should keep Fields, then trade down the Panthers pick. To me that will give our Bears the maximum overall bang for the buck.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's true that at best Poles could only receive a 3rd round pick for Fields, and personally I think that's quite debatable, then it makes an even stronger case for not trading him. It only strengthens my argument that we wouldn't lose that much in trade value if we hold onto him for another season, then perhaps trade him in '25. I'm going to continue saying this until something happens - we should keep Fields, then trade down the Panthers pick. To me that will give our Bears the maximum overall bang for the buck.

I also think it is debatable myself,I think he is worth more than a 3rd because theres not much in freeagency for that position and too many teams needing qb with not enough top qbs to go around.........
The problem I see with keeping JF if he still has not proven to be that qb in 2024,will we be inline for the top of the class to draft one in 25 with out having to give up what we will be asking for our no.1 or even what we got in last seasons trade of the no.1 .......in 2025 JF will be making a ton of money,Im hearing in the neighborhood of 25 mill(anyone know).....??
Not too mention him possibly holding out for more(it happens),we dont need that.....and wants to give him a 40 mill contract for anther Danny Dimes.....

Im not so sure if JF is gonna be our guy,I think we move on with what we can get,and draft Poles top qb he wants.....If its Williams do it,if iits Maye trade with Wahington then take Maye(if thats who he wants) with no.1.2......
One thing is for sure,dont trade down too far down for a qb,we may not get who Poles wants....

Just a few things Ive been thinking........