• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields granted waiver

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys believe that people are tuning into Alabama games to watch Tua play or are they wanting to watch the Crimson Tide? If you believe that they are watching that game for Tua do you believe that the viewership will go to 0 once he graduates? The school is the draw not the individual players.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to bow out of this discussion. Don’t want anyone to think I’m dodging it, but just got a call they will be reading my Grandma her last rites this afternoon and she could pass at any moment. So I won’t be around for a few days.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to bow out of this discussion. Don’t want anyone to think I’m dodging it, but just got a call they will be reading my Grandma her last rites this afternoon and she could pass at any moment. So I won’t be around for a few days.
All my best, you and your family take care

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take care

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys believe that people are tuning into Alabama games to watch Tua play or are they wanting to watch the Crimson Tide? If you believe that they are watching that game for Tua do you believe that the viewership will go to 0 once he graduates? The school is the draw not the individual players.
A little of both. Most people are not tuning in to see individual players, but those individual players being good drives viewership.

I don't tune into Bengals games to see Andy Dalton, but he gets $16 million/yr.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not individual players or course but what if all the teams were at a junior college type players. It's not like we don't know what good football players look like.
It's like saying I can film The Godfather but use actors from the local college theater department instead of paying for the more talented actors. Yes you can do it. But you're not getting a classic.

Last edited:
Reactions: gob

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. I've already said the depth chart was a likely driver here, but the scheme fit has never made sense to me. It makes me wonder what UGA did to get his commitment in the first place. They haven't had a true DT QB since DJ Shockley, and that was 13 years ago. I think he probably realized he wasn't going to see his potential there, and a transfer was likely even without the racial incident, but again, it's hard to say for sure what the impact was from that. Georgia isn't exactly known for being a progressive state to begin with.
Same reason a kid that wants to throw the ball would sign up to play for Les Miles. :scratch:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you want to pass off the exhorbitant salaries on the coaching staff to the players:L

Here is an idea — stop paying $20 million dollars for a coaching staff, since fans are watching for the brand and the product on the field doesn’t matter, right?

As you said — the fans don’t care about the players — they only want to see the Alabama brand. Who is in the uniform doesn’t matter.

FYI — Business Insider calculated the value of players per team each year, based on how much money the school made off them. Alabama made roughly $550,000 per player. Awfully big of them to give them $5,000. Less than 1% of the value they’ve brought the school on the year.

I love it that you quote Business Insider, then turn around and pretend like revenue is profit. Even more funny, those numbers quote the 20-30 million a year in donations, about 25% of the programs revenue last I looked, as part of that.

I also love it that you cite coaches salaries, but then refuse to acknowledge that the money is spent at the benefit of the players. Nope, in your world all the money spent on the best coaches is apparently a waste of money and in no way benefits the players, despite it being a good part of the reason the players choose the school to start with.

Speaking of profit, schools don't keep any. Every penny that is made is invested back into the school and school sports.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not individual players or course but what if all the teams were at a junior college type players. It's not like we don't know what good football players look like.
A little of both. Most people are not tuning in to see individual players, but those individual players being good drives viewership.

I don't tune into Bengals games to see Andy Dalton, but he gets $16 million/yr.
If they want to get paid, go to the AAF or XFL. As for as I know, they don’t have any restrictions on the age of players.

These players are getting well compensated in free education, free room, free food, free clothes, on top of getting cash. People want to pretend these kids are starving and living on the streets.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to get paid, go to the AAF or XFL. As for as I know, they don’t have any restrictions on the age of players.

These players are getting well compensated in free education, free room, free food, free clothes, on top of getting cash. People want to pretend these kids are starving and living on the streets.

It's not free. They have to perform at a high level , practice, not take other jobs, get injured and possibly get disabled. The schools dont seem to care if that "free" education is worth a damn (see UNC). And food and a place to sleep? really? While their coach makes 7 million and a bonus if they play well.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they can go to the AFL. I don't believe there are any restrictions on XFL ages.

For the most part, I do agree with you, but wouldn't mind looking into good ways to further compensate them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they can go to the AFL. I don't believe there are any restrictions on XFL ages.

For the most part, I do agree with you, but wouldn't mind looking into good ways to further compensate them.
The problem is 80% of college athletic departments lose money. If you want to increase the disparity in college football, paying players is a great way to do. And if we start paying players, let’s make sure that everything that they get is taxable. Trainers, workout facilities, room, food, clothes, books, everything. Let’s welcome these entitled pricks into the real world.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big surprise that the Ohio State and USC fans want an even bigger unfair advantage than they already have.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is 80% of college athletic departments lose money. If you want to increase the disparity in college football, paying players is a great way to do. And if we start paying players, let’s make sure that everything that they get is taxable. Trainers, workout facilities, room, food, clothes, books, everything. Let’s welcome these entitled pricks into the real world.
The things in bold aren't taxed (or paid by athletes) in professional sports. I'm not going to a full on paid thing.

More along the lines of apparel sale percentage, or maybe sanctioned autograph sessions. Something like that

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They already get over 20k a year in legit money/compensation due to all the various programs and such. And that was before they added the 5k stipend.

They are given money for housing if they don't live in the doors. They are given money for food and clothes. If they want to travel home, they are given gas money. They are still eligible for all the grants and everything else they could qualify for.

You see all those pictures of college recruits holding up fat stacks of cash, and everyone wants to claim it's proof the kid got paid and cheating and all that. The truth - it's their grant money, which is why those pictures always show up a week or so before school starts.

Wish I could find the link again, it's been a few years. But these kids make way more than minimum wage in just the actual cash they are given. I'm not even talking about the scholarship part and all that, this is just actual cash money they are given.

Oh, and they can still get loans and all that.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not free. They have to perform at a high level , practice, not take other jobs, get injured and possibly get disabled. The schools dont seem to care if that "free" education is worth a damn (see UNC). And food and a place to sleep? really? While their coach makes 7 million and a bonus if they play well.
It's free. They aren't paying anything for it. Shocking that they have expectations when they're getting something for free.

Also, not sure how it goes at USC, but at OSU a kid still receives his scholarship if he has to go on medical hardship.

Also, those coaches making $7mil a year are living and breathing football 24/7/365. They're not going out at night to hang out with friends, and they're not heading to the club on weekends. They earn that money.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The things in bold aren't taxed (or paid by athletes) in professional sports. I'm not going to a full on paid thing.

More along the lines of apparel sale percentage, or maybe sanctioned autograph sessions. Something like that
So who gets paid on apparel sales? Is it only on their jerseys or is on the University Football shirts? Do you pay all players or just the scholarship players? What stops a booster from paying a player $25,000 for an autograph? Teams start guaranteeing signing bonuses and now we have bidding wars and the weak get weaker and it will be even more unbalanced than it is now.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's free. They aren't paying anything for it. Shocking that they have expectations when they're getting something for free.

Also, not sure how it goes at USC, but at OSU a kid still receives his scholarship if he has to go on medical hardship.

Also, those coaches making $7mil a year are living and breathing football 24/7/365. They're not going out at night to hang out with friends, and they're not heading to the club on weekends. They earn that money.

They still get their scholarship. That's rich coming from a fan of I didn't come here to play school U. Many of these kids aren't college material and are only there because they can play football so them keeping their scholarship after blowing out their knee or getting too many concussions is like telling someone hey you won two years free at medical school or law school. It's worthless if you just can't do that kinda work. Yes at USC they do the same. But there's a large percentage who aren't equipped to be real student. It's sad but it's true and these schools still take these players knowing fully well their talent it restricted to football.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who gets paid on apparel sales? Is it only on their jerseys or is on the University Football shirts? Do you pay all players or just the scholarship players? What stops a booster from paying a player $25,000 for an autograph? Teams start guaranteeing signing bonuses and now we have bidding wars and the weak get weaker and it will be even more unbalanced than it is now.
I said I think it's worth looking into

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still get their scholarship. That's rich coming from a fan of I didn't come here to play school U. Many of these kids aren't college material and are only there because they can play football so them keeping their scholarship after blowing out their knee or getting too many concussions is like telling someone hey you won two years free at medical school or law school. It's worthless if you just can't do that kinda work. Yes at USC they do the same. But there's a large percentage who aren't equipped to be real student. It's sad but it's true and these schools still take these players knowing fully well their talent it restricted to football.

So they shouldn’t be given any opportunity to go to college and attempt to better themselves?