• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields granted waiver

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if the XFL can lure any college kids away, and if it changes anything. I believe I saw salaries of $75k, which wouldn't be worth it, but if the league stays around or throws money at college kids, maybe they could get some college stars

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if the XFL can lure any college kids away, and if it changes anything. I believe I saw salaries of $75k, which wouldn't be worth it, but if the league stays around or throws money at college kids, maybe they could get some college stars
I think the bigger question for the XFL is how likely are they to take players from the XFL and sign them to NFL deals.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but you're pretty much guaranteed a decent job when you get out

:lol: No. Unless you are talking about the football players. Ex-Military helps a little, but at the end of the day they are just regular people and that is 99% of it. But who wants a job? You want a career - that education gives you that.

and they test you to make sure you the have smarts to finish that MOS schooling or they don't send you to that school. Many of these players have no business being in college except they play good football. But they are allowed in even with much lower scores than the average student.

And at Alabama they get extra attention with tutor's and such. All the players have lots of access to that kind of help, not the kind of things you'll get anywhere else. Just another of the many reasons I just can't get on board with the notion that these players are not being properly compensated.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bigger question for the XFL is how likely are they to take players from the XFL and sign them to NFL deals.
Very few... Practice squad players make over $7k/week. I would rather play on the practice squad where you have the chance to impress NFL coaches and compete against better players weekly.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm guessing for 75k you can lure almost all of them away if they are really only in college to play football. But then those teams are going to have to develop them and all that, and then after they do develop them and it's been 3 years, they're gonna have to watch them head off to the NFL to make millions.

Or they can pay millions and try to take from the NFL like others and also take top college players as well as others have tried. The problem here is you then gotta have the revenue to pay/sustain those salaries and these start up leagues don't generally have that.

Just getting the players != billion dollar league.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: No. Unless you are talking about the football players. Ex-Military helps a little, but at the end of the day they are just regular people and that is 99% of it. But who wants a job? You want a career - that education gives you that.

And at Alabama they get extra attention with tutor's and such. All the players have lots of access to that kind of help, not the kind of things you'll get anywhere else. Just another of the many reasons I just can't get on board with the notion that these players are not being properly compensated.

Yes, I'm in contact with many fellow Marines from the two squadrons I worked in and if you kept your nose clean you were and still are able to get employment getting out. My sons been in two years and he gets letters from Space X and Virgin Galactic after attending a job fair during the summer. Education is great I agree but technical training is also a good way to go especially if you're not the college type which is the category many football players are in.
Every school gives football players extra attention. It's called trying to keep them eligible.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few... Practice squad players make over $7k/week. I would rather play on the practice squad where you have the chance to impress NFL coaches and compete against better players weekly.
But, I’m not sure on this, if they are going into the XFL instead of college, they can’t just sign on as a practice squad player. They have to wait three years to do that.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing for 75k you can lure almost all of them away if they are really only in college to play football. But then those teams are going to have to develop them and all that, and then after they do develop them and it's been 3 years, they're gonna have to watch them head off to the NFL to make millions.

Or they can pay millions and try to take from the NFL like others and also take top college players as well as others have tried. The problem here is you then gotta have the revenue to pay/sustain those salaries and these start up leagues don't generally have that.

Just getting the players != billion dollar league.
Until the players realize that $75k really means about $50k, plus potentially insurance (don't know about the benefits package), and probably agents fee (if the agent was smart it would be very low/nothing with a multi year/buyout clause).

I can see RBs and DE doing it. You have guys that can jump in as freshman and make an impact in college at those positions. If they have a solid freshman year, some could head to the XFL for two more.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, I’m not sure on this, if they are going into the XFL instead of college, they can’t just sign on as a practice squad player. They have to wait three years to do that.
I missed your point. You were referring to the XFL basically being a loner league for a couple years until they meet the three year retirement. I just thought you were talking about XFL players in general, not just the youngins

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I'm in contact with many fellow Marines from the two squadrons I worked in and if you kept your nose clean you were and still are able to get employment getting out. My sons been in two years and he gets letters from Space X and Virgin Galactic after attending a job fair during the summer. Education is great I agree but technical training is also a good way to go especially if you're not the college type which is the category many football players are in.
Every school gives football players extra attention. It's called trying to keep them eligible.

People are able to get employment in general...

And I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but big time companies like that will basically interview anyone. I can go get a google interview right now easily. In fact, google is so aggressive in it, just go do a few google searches about python and they'll try to give you a test that can lead to an interview right there.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed your point. You were referring to the XFL basically being a loner league for a couple years until they meet the three year retirement. I just thought you were talking about XFL players in general, not just the youngins
I was talking about youngins skipping college for the cash grab since they ain’t going to play no school. If they want to make money, I believe they can, and if the NFL starts plucking those young kids then more of those kids who can’t read but can play ball will be more likely to go that direction.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the players realize that $75k really means about $50k, plus potentially insurance (don't know about the benefits package), and probably agents fee (if the agent was smart it would be very low/nothing with a multi year/buyout clause).

I can see RBs and DE doing it. You have guys that can jump in as freshman and make an impact in college at those positions. If they have a solid freshman year, some could head to the XFL for two more.

It's not the better deal for sure, but college is not for everyone. 75k is good money even paying taxes, and people of that age aren't exactly known for making great long term decisions about their life.

There are also a good bit of good players who don't qualify at all. They usually got the JuCo route ete, hoping to get a year or 2 eventually. Or you have the Terrell Owens type who just goes to JuCo into the NFL.

But like I said, 75k isn't going to keep that top talent around for very long. If they truly are worth more, then the NFL will take them etc.

But IMO, I think mostly they'll be picking up kids who have now graduated from college but aren't good enough for the NFL.

At any rate, I don't think college football will be affected at all.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the better deal for sure, but college is not for everyone. 75k is good money even paying taxes, and people of that age aren't exactly known for making great long term decisions about their life.

There are also a good bit of good players who don't qualify at all. They usually got the JuCo route ete, hoping to get a year or 2 eventually. Or you have the Terrell Owens type who just goes to JuCo into the NFL.

But like I said, 75k isn't going to keep that top talent around for very long. If they truly are worth more, then the NFL will take them etc.

But IMO, I think mostly they'll be picking up kids who have now graduated from college but aren't good enough for the NFL.

At any rate, I don't think college football will be affected at all.
Right now, it will be the leftovers from the AAF.

I don't really anticipate the XFL actually laying not than 2 years

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, it will be the leftovers from the AAF.

I don't really anticipate the XFL actually laying not than 2 years

I forgot about the AAF. I wanted to support that, but I cut off my live TV until next football season.

I need to see if they are putting it on YouTube.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are able to get employment in general...

And I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but big time companies like that will basically interview anyone. I can go get a google interview right now easily. In fact, google is so aggressive in it, just go do a few google searches about python and they'll try to give you a test that can lead to an interview right there.

Yeah go get an interview at google. LOL. I actually live in the real world. You have to have some sort of background in that field these days to be a serious candidate which what I'm talking about. This isn't the days where they just asked if you can do a spread sheet. lol
He's got a job if he wants it at either place but he's better off if he stays and gets more training as well as works on his bachelors. There's nothing like saying yeah I've done that before when trying to get a job.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the AAF. I wanted to support that, but I cut off my live TV until next football season.

I need to see if they are putting it on YouTube.

They had their first games this weekend . Should be up by now if someone is putting them up.
Kinda weird watching. It's like watching two college teams you've never seen before. Or the old euro league

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah go get an interview at google. LOL. I actually live in the real world. You have to have some sort of background in that field these days to be a serious candidate which what I'm talking about. This isn't the days where they just asked if you can do a spread sheet. lol
He's got a job if he wants it at either place but he's better off if he stays and gets more training as well as works on his bachelors. There's nothing like saying yeah I've done that before when trying to get a job.

I don't want an interview at google. I might like to work for Deepmind, who is owned by google, but if I want an interview with them I'll just private message and ask them for it.

You don't know me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had their first games this weekend . Should be up by now if someone is putting them up.
Kinda weird watching. It's like watching two college teams you've never seen before. Or the old euro league

I heard some mention of it this past weekend. I guess the Iron team or some name along those lines has a bunch of Alabama and Auburn players on it, so that'll probably be the team I follow.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this is a good look:

:lol:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard some mention of it this past weekend. I guess the Iron team or some name along those lines has a bunch of Alabama and Auburn players on it, so that'll probably be the team I follow.

I think they put a lot of players close to where they are from to make the teams more interesting for the home teams.