• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields granted waiver

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DeafOranguntan are you going to keep passive-aggressively bullshitting my posts or are you going to sack up and weigh in?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years with Justin. Not bad. Looks like we have a decent receiving corps. Goodbye Michigan.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years with Justin. Not bad. Looks like we have a decent receiving corps. Goodbye Michigan.
We're just reloading at the WR position. KJ Hill returning is huge, on top of Victor, Mack, and Olave still there. I also think Garrett Wilson gets a lot of play this year even as a true freshman. He's a beast.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just reloading at the WR position. KJ Hill returning is huge, on top of Victor, Mack, and Olave still there. I also think Garrett Wilson gets a lot of play this year even as a true freshman. He's a beast.

I don't see that as even reloading. It's one of our strengths.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you - she fought and lasted a full day longer than they thought, giving a few grandkids from out of state time to get here and see her.

She passed one day shy of her 99th birthday.
It's great they were able to see her on her last day. Hope everyone is well and at peace.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you - she fought and lasted a full day longer than they thought, giving a few grandkids from out of state time to get here and see her.

She passed one day shy of her 99th birthday.

Glad for you and your family the timing worked out.
giphy.gif

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. I've already said the depth chart was a likely driver here, but the scheme fit has never made sense to me. It makes me wonder what UGA did to get his commitment in the first place. They haven't had a true DT QB since DJ Shockley, and that was 13 years ago. I think he probably realized he wasn't going to see his potential there, and a transfer was likely even without the racial incident, but again, it's hard to say for sure what the impact was from that. Georgia isn't exactly known for being a progressive state to begin with.
The transfer wasn't about the racial incident ... that was simply used as a way to apply pressure to get the waiver. I've posted this before (1) his sister will be playing softball at UGa, and committed after the incident, and (2) the Fields tried to intervene ON BEHALF of the baseball player to keep him from getting thrown out ... they met with him and buried the hatchet. He left because it is evident that he wasn't going to beat out Fromm who is clearly the better QB at this point in time. Fields may have the talent to be better in the future, but he wasn't likely going to beat out Fromm, and there wasn't enough separation between the two. Counting on an injury wasn't prudent.

When Fields signed with UGa he (1) said he would be willing to take a redshirt to create separation, and (2) he wanted to learn a Pro system as he didn't want to be just a running QB. Think of Watson at Clemson and what it has done for him. Without a backup QB the redshirt wasn't going to happen, and at some point in time the Fields' camp concluded he should be playing more anyway. Fromm start slowly this past year ... if you can call being top 5 in efficiency slow. The LSU game was the turning point for both players. Fromm had a really bad game, and Fields and his camp thought he should have been given a chance and wasn't. Fromm turned on the jets thereafter and had a fantastic finish to the season, at least from a statistics perspective. The writing was on the wall at that point.

We shall see how he develops at tOSU. Stating fact, it's not like QBs come out of tOSU and kill it in the NFL. To be fair, UGa isn't exactly QBU for the NFL either (Stafford is a star, but Greene and Murray never saw the field and were out 5 years later. Schockley barely made rosters for a few years). I do think Fields is talented. I don't think he was as prepared to play as quickly as Fromm and Lawrence were, or as prepared as he thought he was. You have to know that Fields had 1/3 the experience and yards as a high school QB compared to both Fromm and Lawrence. Off the top of my head, Fields threw for about 4000 yards, while Fromm and Lawrence were in the 12,000 - 13,000 yard range. Same ratio for number of games played. Developed properly, and given time to learn and grow he could be a very special QB. Hurts would have been a more sure bet, but not as high a ceiling and only for one year.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transfer wasn't about the racial incident ... that was simply used as a way to apply pressure to get the waiver. I've posted this before (1) his sister will be playing softball at UGa, and committed after the incident, and (2) the Fields tried to intervene ON BEHALF of the baseball player to keep him from getting thrown out ... they met with him and buried the hatchet. He left because it is evident that he wasn't going to beat out Fromm who is clearly the better QB at this point in time. Fields may have the talent to be better in the future, but he wasn't likely going to beat out Fromm, and there wasn't enough separation between the two. Counting on an injury wasn't prudent.

When Fields signed with UGa he (1) said he would be willing to take a redshirt to create separation, and (2) he wanted to learn a Pro system as he didn't want to be just a running QB. Think of Watson at Clemson and what it has done for him. Without a backup QB the redshirt wasn't going to happen, and at some point in time the Fields' camp concluded he should be playing more anyway. Fromm start slowly this past year ... if you can call being top 5 in efficiency slow. The LSU game was the turning point for both players. Fromm had a really bad game, and Fields and his camp thought he should have been given a chance and wasn't. Fromm turned on the jets thereafter and had a fantastic finish to the season, at least from a statistics perspective. The writing was on the wall at that point.

We shall see how he develops at tOSU. Stating fact, it's not like QBs come out of tOSU and kill it in the NFL. To be fair, UGa isn't exactly QBU for the NFL either (Stafford is a star, but Greene and Murray never saw the field and were out 5 years later. Schockley barely made rosters for a few years). I do think Fields is talented. I don't think he was as prepared to play as quickly as Fromm and Lawrence were, or as prepared as he thought he was. You have to know that Fields had 1/3 the experience and yards as a high school QB compared to both Fromm and Lawrence. Off the top of my head, Fields threw for about 4000 yards, while Fromm and Lawrence were in the 12,000 - 13,000 yard range. Same ratio for number of games played. Developed properly, and given time to learn and grow he could be a very special QB. Hurts would have been a more sure bet, but not as high a ceiling and only for one year.

I am legitimately rooting for him. He's a good kid in a difficult situation. If he will do the work he needs to do to learn how to read a defense, he will be incredibly successful. He has more physical talent than 95% of the college QBs that I've seen in the last 40 years, but he needs to work on his talent between his ears. If he does what he needs to, he will have incredible success, not only at tOSU, but in the NFL as well.