• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jordan says Kobe, not LeBron, could beat him in his prime

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again true, but it is an unknown vs what could have been a certainty.

But Kobe is a known commodity that makes lots of money for the owners. No need to amnesty him in the last year of his contract.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but my assumption is that the Lakers were determined to keep him
there for his entire career, almost regardless of salary, because of the income
he does generate.

They are, so why would they amnesty him and risk losing him?

And as far as this year ticket sales, etc... The games/tickets for this
season were already sold out, correct?
So him playing or not playing really
doesn't change anything as far as that goes.

Would that have been the case if they amnestied him earlier this summer?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers make a lot on merchandise sales. They'll sell a lot more Kobe Hollywood Nights jerseys this season with Kobe on the team as opposed to Kobe not being on the team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter what Kobe will decide to play for. His contract is up after this season. It wouldn't have mattered if the Lakers amnestied him or not. All of these contracts were set to expire at the same time for a reason. The reason was because the Lakers knew that they would be looking at a re-build.

As Kupchak said in a recent interview: the Lakers have known for approximately 3 years that this was coming and there is a plan in place.

Fair enough, but my assumption is that the Lakers were determined to keep him there for his entire career, almost regardless of salary, because of the income he does generate.

And as far as this year ticket sales, etc... The games/tickets for this season were already sold out, correct?
So him playing or not playing really doesn't change anything as far as that goes.

The Lakers are determined for him to retire a Laker and Kobe has been adamant that he will retire a Laker. On the surface, this should make for a fairly easy negotiation. However, as much as I love what Kobe has brought to the team, he has a gigantic ego (just like anyone with his level of accomplishments) so the question will be how much the Lakers think he is worth vs. how much he thinks he's worth.

It's similar to when Shaq left. Shaq felt he was still a max deal player, the Lakers felt he wasn't. They couldn't find a middle ground and Shaq was traded even though the Lakers wanted him to retire a Laker.

If Kobe still thinks he's a max player and demands that kind of money, he'll be gone.

The games/tickets are not already sold out. They may have already sold out on season tickets (at least as far as the number they are going to sell), but the individual game tickets are still in play as are merchandise sales. So there is still a great deal of money to be made from Kobe being a Laker this season.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is that Turnip posted this cap hold issue after questioning Lakers fans knowledge of the CBA thinking he had this 'aha gotcha' moment regarding the Lakers available cap space next summer. Not the case. Should of taken his own advice and studied up on it before posting.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is that Turnip posted this cap hold issue after questioning Lakers fans knowledge of the CBA thinking he had this 'aha gotcha' moment regarding the Lakers available cap space next summer. Not the case. Should of taken his own advice and studied up on it before posting.

Not at all.
That was just one factor. Plus regardless, of what you say, the cap hold is a factor.
The article I posted supports that.

What you guys aren't considering is that for the most part, chances are you season isn't going to be a very good one.
You know Kobe.
He is going to try to rush back A.S.A.P. Especially if the Lakers are struggling without him.
LOOK AT YOUR SCHEDULE.
The Lakers are bound to struggle early.

If he screws himself up again. Chances are he's done.

Him not even having to think of playing this year would have erased any temptation to rush the process.

OBIOUSLY, he wants to play. Would you expect anything different?
STILL, just because he wants to doesn't mean it is the most prudent way to go.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are determined for him to retire a Laker and Kobe has been adamant that he will retire a Laker. On the surface, this should make for a fairly easy negotiation. However, as much as I love what Kobe has brought to the team, he has a gigantic ego (just like anyone with his level of accomplishments) so the question will be how much the Lakers think he is worth vs. how much he thinks he's worth.

It's similar to when Shaq left. Shaq felt he was still a max deal player, the Lakers felt he wasn't. They couldn't find a middle ground and Shaq was traded even though the Lakers wanted him to retire a Laker.

If Kobe still thinks he's a max player and demands that kind of money, he'll be gone.

Gone to where? Unless you mean he will start trying to title chase on the cheap.
He certainly will get more from the Lakers then any other NBA team at this point.

The games/tickets are not already sold out. They may have already sold out on season tickets (at least as far as the number they are going to sell), but the individual game tickets are still in play as are merchandise sales. So there is still a great deal of money to be made from Kobe being a Laker this season.

The big dollar seats are gone.
I don't know how many nosebleeds are held back by rule for the general public but I would guess it isn't substantial.
I also think L.A. fans would still buy/wear Kobe stuff whether he was playing or not this season, knowing he would be back next year.

The whole premise of my thought was based on it being a mutual decision , with some sort of agreed on salary structure for let's say 3 more years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.
That was just one factor. Plus regardless, of what you say, the cap hold is a factor.

What you guys aren't considering is that for the most part, chances are you season isn't going to be a very good one.
You know Kobe.
He is going to try to rush back A.S.A.P. Especially if the Lakers are struggling without him.
LOOK AT YOUR SCHEDULE.
The Lakers are bound to struggle early.

If he screws himself up again. Chances are he's done.

Him not even having to think of playing this year would have erased any temptation to rush the process.

OBIOUSLY, he wants to play. Would you expect anything different?
STILL, just because he wants to doesn't mean it is the most prudent way to go.

Your article doesn't support anything. It's someone's opinion based on a theory. As rule pointed out, it is the real money that Kobe signs for that will matter.

As for him sitting out this season, it wasn't ever going to happen, so there is no point in you continuing to bring it up. If Kobe were closer to the beginning of his career, it might make sense (ala D-Rose) for him to sit out the entire year. However, aside from the fact that it just isn't in his dna to do that, he is also in the final year of his contract and is only a couple of seasons from retirement. For him, it's about getting the most out of his body while he still can.

If he comes back too soon and re-injures his achilles and is done, oh well. It happens. He's only got 2 or 3 more seasons anyway.

Additionally, this is the final year of his contract, if he were to sit out, how would he or the Lakers know what he is worth when looking to possibly re-sign him for next year? Suppose he comes back and as some have suggested he has very little left (ala Chauncey Billups)? Or what if he comes back and is just as good or close to it as he was when he got hurt?

The contract that Kobe signs after this season, will likely be the last one he ever signs as a player. To get the best deal for both he and the team, both need to see what he has left.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big dollar seats are gone.
I don't know how many nosebleeds are held back by rule for the general public but I would guess it isn't substantial.
I also think L.A. fans would still buy/wear Kobe stuff whether he was playing or not this season, knowing he would be back next year.

The whole premise of my thought was based on it being a mutual decision , with some sort of agreed on salary structure for let's say 3 more years.

If you think the big dollar seats are gone, you haven't bought tickets to a Lakers game before.:lol:

As for a mutual decision: as I pointed out in the post prior to this one, how does either side know what "fair value" is for his next contract if he doesn't play. We have all seen that Kobe can play through/recover quickly from, just about anything. But he's never tried to come back from something like this. There isn't a very good track record from other players who have attempted to come back from this type of injury. Especially at Kobe's age.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think the big dollar seats are gone, you haven't bought tickets to a Lakers game before.
:lol:

I just went to ticket master and searched for Laker/Hawks seats. Certainly not a high profile game.
Nothing lower bowl came up other then some scattered singles. There were a bunch of 200 level for $160. range.
If you are talking secondary market, that is a different story.
Then it becomes supply and demand.

As for a mutual decision: as I pointed out in the post prior to this one, how does either side know what "fair value" is for his next contract if he doesn't play.

That depends on how much or little he would have agreed to play for.
The less he takes, the better of a team they can build.
The year off would have guaranteed his best chance to be able to play healthy again. Nothing else.

We have all seen that Kobe can play through/recover quickly from, just about anything. But he's never tried to come back from something like this. There isn't a very good track record from other players who have attempted to come back from this type of injury. Especially at Kobe's age.

Exactly. And I can see the Lakers using this as an opportunity to move on.
Thing about it is, if that is their mindset, why didn't they relay that to Howard?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, you didn't think he was gonna ADMIT it, didja...?

obviously i didn't miss much...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.

Nope. You clearly thought you had better knowledge of the CBA, or at least how to use google to find Coon's article. Cap holds have been around since before the current CBA. It's not a new concept. All the article does is provide scenarios for what the Lakers can do.

There are endless scenarios.

That's what the article boils down to and what Coon said. Mitch Kupchak has said over and over that they'll be in great position to sign marque free agents in the summer of 2014 because of the all the cap space that they'll have to work with. I'm sure the Lakers GM has a better idea of things than you and the media.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends on how much or little he would have agreed to play for.
The less he takes, the better of a team they can build.

Now you are figuring it out and keeping pace. The cap holds are theoretical.

The year off would have guaranteed his best chance to be able to play healthy again. Nothing else.

If his achilles is healed (by all accounts the achilles is as strong as it will be) and he is healthy this season, then he's healthy. A whole extra year off wouldn't necessarily make any difference. Rose was healthy to play last season. His issue was mental. Kobe's not a pussy.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you are figuring it out and keeping pace. The cap holds are theoretical.

If his achilles is healed (by all accounts the achilles is as strong as it will be) and he is healthy this season, then he's healthy. A whole extra year off wouldn't necessarily make any difference. Rose was healthy to play last season. His issue was mental. Kobe's not a pussy.

:10: say what you will about Kobe(and Turnip usually does) but the man's pain threshold is astronomical...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw, you guys GOTTA try Hong Kong Gardens in Carson. those cats make some SUPER Chinese food...

I like China Tea House on Sepulveda in Torrance. Tasty. Large portions. Good prices. They do serve shark fin soup which makes me feel a bit hypocritical because I find the practice of harvesting shark fins highly disturbing and understand the ecological implications. Didn't California ban shark fin soup?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like China Tea House on Sepulveda in Torrance. Tasty. Large portions. Good prices. They do serve shark fin soup which makes me feel a bit hypocritical because I find the practice of harvesting shark fins highly disturbing and understand the ecological implications. Didn't California ban shark fin soup?

according to Tammey(my wife) yes they did. interesting. i know which one you're talking about. it's by National sports bar. anyways, i like the Shrimp fried rice...even though i don't eat a heck of a lot of it anymore(i try to watch what i eat). 'sides, my family still looks at me sideways when i use chopsticks lol...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that National sports bar is now a vacant building. I never saw that place busy, but would only go there for lunch.