• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Clayton: Jameis Winston Has "Clear Edge" on Marcus Mariota

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who says Mariota is the better prospect either: 1. Doesn't have a grasp for the pro game or 2. Is in denial or 3. is just an Oregon fan doing what Oregon fans do.

My problem with Winston is his throwing motion. It reminds me of Byron Leftwich. Which isn't to bad considering Leftwich had a solid NFL career. However, Winston's motion is slow. I would be terrified if my team drafted Winston due to what he might do once he gets his money. He had problems staying out of trouble in college. I don't think that's a good sign.

If Telesco gives up Rivers for the 2nd pick & they take Mariota I won't be happy. I don't view either one of these guys as franchise QB's. If Telesco gives up more than Rivers he should be fired.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where Jameis Winston scored exceptional on the wunderlic test. So it is relevant, given that virtually every elite qb has scored pretty high on the test (Luck, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers) and only one has scored high and not become a great qb. But isn't that because of innate skills? There must exist thousands who could score in the 40s and not be able to throw a fb 20 yards. So why does the story start out with the premise that 27 doesn't really mean anything? I'd like to see what every qb has scored, and compare it to physical abilities in order to see how relevant this test is.

That's one of those tests where teams are actually testing for something else.

They don't have the bench press at the combine to test a player's upper body strength. The test is there to see how dedicated a player is to the weight room.

They don't test the Wonderlic at the combine to test a player's intelligence. They test it there to see how dedicated the kid was at school.

Dan Marino was a 16. Ryan Fitzpatrick was a 48. People using the Wonderlic one way or the other to project NFL talent are mostly on the wrong path.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like John Clayton was right.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astute observations by those of you predicting Winston will throw a lot of picks. Of course he will. All rookie QB's struggle with INT's. Andrew Luck may well end up having a HOF career, yet he's thrown a ton of picks in his 1st couple years. The # of picks Winston throws should in no way be a measuring stick of how his career will turn out. let's not be fooled by what Winston and Marcus Mariota do in their rookie years. Just look at RG III, after his 1st year one could envision him having a HOF career. Now look where he is. We'll need 3 years to determine where their careers will lead.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is better. I don't think many outside of Oregon fans were arguing that.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news dog shit has a clear edge over bird shit.