• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't him sitting out a year and falling in the trade actually benefit his career. Look at the difference in the careers of Rodgers and Smith. Rodgers slid down and got on a good team and is HOF bound, Smith is an borderline starter.

Yeah, but they both got paid as rookies. Plus...talent is talent, that was always going to be the case except maybe Rodgers plays earlier.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a history...you know it, I know it and we know Condon knows it, so why drag your client thru the muck trying to break the cheap bastards?
Did you read the article or just the headline?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a history...you know it, I know it and we know Condon knows it, so why drag your client thru the muck trying to break the cheap bastards?
I agree....just play, be what everyone says you are and everything will take care of itself

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read it in detail...Chargers being the Chargers is the just of it...same tone I got this morning.
Not just that, but also that Wentz and Elliot agreed to BOTH in their contract. SD gains a lot of ground when they can point out that the player before and after Bosa in the draft agreed to deals that are just the same as what SD is offering in terms of restrictions.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just that, but also that Wentz and Elliot agreed to BOTH in their contract. SD gains a lot of ground when they can point out that the player before and after Bosa in the draft agreed to deals that are just the same as what SD is offering in terms of restrictions.

I really don't care. Bosa is the only 1st round pick who hasn't signed. Ownership expects fans to approve a measure in November & they can't sign their 1st round pick in time for training camp.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read it in detail...Chargers being the Chargers is the just of it...same tone I got this morning.
The author also lays a lot of blame at the feet of the NFLPA, which I found interesting.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't care. Bosa is the only 1st round pick who hasn't signed. Ownership expects fans to approve a measure in November & they can't sign their 1st round pick in time for training camp.
Oh, I agree. It's stupid all the way around.

I completely understand the part about the off-set clause. I would want that if I were an owner.

What I don't fully understand is WHY it's so important for the team to divide up the bonus payment. It's guaranteed no matter what. The only thing I can think of is if they cut him after year 1, the bonus would then be split into two years against the cap instead of one. Which, really, is ridiculous because outside of some massively unlucky injury, he's playing at least 2-3+ years with the Chargers, even if he BOMBS in the NFL.

As a fan, it's massively frustrating, there's no way around that and you guys are the only losers in this ordeal.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree. It's stupid all the way around.

I completely understand the part about the off-set clause. I would want that if I were an owner.

What I don't fully understand is WHY it's so important for the team to divide up the bonus payment. It's guaranteed no matter what. The only thing I can think of is if they cut him after year 1, the bonus would then be split into two years against the cap instead of one. Which, really, is ridiculous because outside of some massively unlucky injury, he's playing at least 2-3+ years with the Chargers, even if he BOMBS in the NFL.

As a fan, it's massively frustrating, there's no way around that and you guys are the only losers in this ordeal.

Come November the Spanos family could lose as well. In fact I expect the measure to fail. It's very hard to get things like Stadiums done in San Diego. Even after they got the funding for Petco Park there were lawsuits that had to be dealt with. The Chargers have been trying to get a new stadium for a long time to no avail so far.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good pick up..even though the article was slanted against SD mostly, I did see that...I did say some time ago in retort to somebody (the Buckeye fan I think) saying it hasn't happened before to a top 5 pick in the CBA... that some teams do and some teams don't yield on those two points.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The author also lays a lot of blame at the feet of the NFLPA, which I found interesting.

A small jab I thought. Essentially the NFLPA wants agents to fight something they agreed to...lol

As the guaranteed money in the NFL has increased (which I'm for)...it's only natural the owner would look for protection in this manner...(I'm for that as well).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good pick up..even though the article was slanted against SD mostly, I did see that...I did say some time ago in retort to somebody (the Buckeye fan I think) saying it hasn't happened before to a top 5 pick in the CBA... that some teams do and some teams don't yield on those two points.
Yes some teams don't want to yield on these points, until some player holds firm and forces them to. This will open the door for players drafted by these teams down the road. It's not like players get to choice who drafts them. Also seems like Bosa and his agent were open about what they would ask for. So I'm on the player side on the issue.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A small jab I thought. Essentially the NFLPA wants agents to fight something they agreed to...lol

As the guaranteed money in the NFL has increased (which I'm for)...it's only natural the owner would look for protection in this manner...(I'm for that as well).
It was a lot more than a small jab. That was a large point of his article, that the players have no one to blame but themselves for frequently caving in to owners' demands.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes some teams don't want to yield on these points, until some player holds firm and forces them to. This will open the door for players drafted by these teams down the road. It's not like players get to choice who drafts them. Also seems like Bosa and his agent were open about what they would ask for. So I'm on the player side on the issue.

Yeah...even though I support the team being able to run their biz how they see fit, I have no issue with the player side really. But at what point do you come off the principle against a team like SD that has shown they don't intend to set a precedent for other picks to follow?

I really think at some point I'm doing myself or my client if I'm the agent, more harm than good.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...even though I support the team being able to run their biz how they see fit, I have no issue with the player side really. But at what point do you come off the principle against a team like SD that has shown they don't intend to set a precedent for other picks to follow?

I really think at some point I'm doing myself or my client if I'm the agent, more harm than good.
Your right that this will do more harm then good for Bosa, unless the Chargers fold. However it's the only way for players to gain in the long run. Someone needs to stand firm to a employer who wants to dictate terms, otherwise you can expect the Chargers never to bend.
So for the greater good for players in general I hope he wins this battle of will.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a lot more than a small jab. That was a large point of his article, that the players have no one to blame but themselves for frequently caving in to owners' demands.

We're kinda taking this in another direction but it's related...okay, maybe it was a jab and right hook...lol. I don't think it was the focal point of the article though.

The players agreed to the rookie cap because the thought was more money would be available to vets so that wasn't an outright concession or cave...I think the author kind of swung and missed on that...as it turned out more money went to the elite, but some mid level FA have benefited as well.