• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is true. I've mostly done well because I married somebody who has done really well with her money and is one of those highly motivated people who wants to advance to the top of her field. She has done really well with that to the point now they are asking her to teach others on her down time. So I get the joy of riding her coattails a bit.

I also think with these players part of the problem is they have convinced themselves they are going to get that 2nd contract. All of their life they have been the best of the best and to tell them that unless they are the elite of the NFL they are going to struggle to get that big 2nd contract just doesn't quite sink in.

I would also add that the veterans don't help the situation. They take advantage of the young guys by making them pay for extravagant meals or pay for all the drinks when they go out and they don't drink cheaply. So these players have quite a bit against them with family and friends asking for money, vets taking their money, bad financial advisers being recommended, no financial education growing up, and so much more.

There was this guy I went to HS with...my cousin re-connected with him about 5 yrs ago at a art show in NYC that he was exhibiting at...Wall Streeter with a $60k starting job, now worth a few million I understand, but still the same old guy...I've put some money with him that's working pretty hard, so he seems to know what he's doing, but I'm mostly interested in being debt free, have something to help the kids, and be in good health to enjoy it in 10 yrs...so far we're on the right track.

Vets...I think that's mostly the 1st rd picks and Idt it's a regular basis...they know the later round picks can't afford it. It's the family leaches that will suck them dry if they let them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was this guy I went to HS with...my cousin re-connected with him about 5 yrs ago at a art show in NYC that he was exhibiting at...Wall Streeter with a $60k starting job, now worth a few million I understand, but still the same old guy...I've put some money with him that's working pretty hard, so he seems to know what he's doing, but I'm mostly interested in being debt free, have something to help the kids, and be in good health to enjoy it in 10 yrs...so far we're on the right track.

Vets...I think that's mostly the 1st rd picks and Idt it's a regular basis...they know the later round picks can't afford it. It's the family leaches that will suck them dry if they let them.

Depending on the team. I know there was an article a while back about how 4 rookies had to split the tab for the Redskins veterans. So while I don't think they are asking the UDFA type players to pay I do think it goes beyond the 1st round players quite often. Now hopefully this only happens once in their career kind of thing but it is still money out of their pocket.

You are right though the family and friends are much worse. Richardson just talked about how he noticed close to $1 million was missing out of his bank account as family and friends for some reason had access to his finances. As I said earlier with the Cowboys LT he finally had to call the cops on his own family and if I remember right it even went to court. They took about $1 million of his money. He said that when he called to tell his family that he was moving from Right Tackle to Left Tackle instead of celebrating with him in getting such a promotion all they talked about was the huge bump in pay in being a LT compared to a RT and how they were planning on spending it. Money brings out the ugly in people for sure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the team. I know there was an article a while back about how 4 rookies had to split the tab for the Redskins veterans. So while I don't think they are asking the UDFA type players to pay I do think it goes beyond the 1st round players quite often. Now hopefully this only happens once in their career kind of thing but it is still money out of their pocket.

You are right though the family and friends are much worse. Richardson just talked about how he noticed close to $1 million was missing out of his bank account as family and friends for some reason had access to his finances. As I said earlier with the Cowboys LT he finally had to call the cops on his own family and if I remember right it even went to court. They took about $1 million of his money. He said that when he called to tell his family that he was moving from Right Tackle to Left Tackle instead of celebrating with him in getting such a promotion all they talked about was the huge bump in pay in being a LT compared to a RT and how they were planning on spending it. Money brings out the ugly in people for sure.

Yeah, it's depending on the team...not that I'm that much in the know about what's going on in camp...but the tidbits I do know about the Steelers...they don't rake the young players over the coals much....the Olineman frequently eat out together and they might saddle the youngster with the bill once, but on a team wide scale not so much from my understanding.

I've heard that about the DAL player...sad. I know Vick did a lot for his family...bought his mom a really big house in Sugarloaf, and his brother was practically like a member of the team I heard...when it all came crashing down...they crashed too...I think he was able to keep on or two of his homes...fortunately he was able to come back and make another $80/$90 mil and to his word...he paid off the people he owed.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chargers are still showing signs of being traumatized from a rookie contract they had in the past.

o3r417-b88659012z.120160308185108000gfqf981b.10.jpg

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would be on the side of the player. Not this time. The guy is a Bust, he knows it and he wants as much money as possible without earning it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would be on the side of the player. Not this time. The guy is a Bust, he knows it and he wants as much money as possible without earning it.
You realize he is not asking for more money than what they offered. So bust or not he still gets the same amount.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize he is not asking for more money than what they offered. So bust or not he still gets the same amount.
I know, he is asking for the money up front and guaranteed even if he is cut and signs with another team.

Like I said Bust. He knows he will be cut, and some team will offer him minimum to maybe get him to play better. He wants the Bonus money no matter what.

Bust.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, he is asking for the money up front and guaranteed even if he is cut and signs with another team.

Like I said Bust. He knows he will be cut, and some team will offer him minimum to maybe get him to play better. He wants the Bonus money no matter what.

Bust.
He gets that no matter what. Unless you think they will cut the 3rd pick in camp and if your do you need to learn up on some football.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets that no matter what. Unless you think they will cut the 3rd pick in camp and if your do you need to learn up on some football.
I just did some learning. There was a 3rd overall pick in 2012 who was Traded 17 Months after being drafted, then 18 Months after being traded was Waived, then 2 days later signed with a team who 5 months later cut him, he then sat out a full regular season and was signed again, but cut. Now is out of football almost exactly 4 years from the time he was drafted.

Funny thing about both these guy was they were Average Players on teams Filled with Great Players.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did some learning. There was a 3rd overall pick in 2012 who was Traded 17 Months after being drafted, then 18 Months after being traded was Waived, then 2 days later signed with a team who 5 months later cut him, he then sat out a full regular season and was signed again, but cut. Now is out of football almost exactly 4 years from the time he was drafted.

Funny thing about both these guy was they were Average Players on teams Filled with Great Players.
17 months? See he would get the full bonus money if it was that long. Sooooooo not an issue with the bonus money.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU Clown. He doesnt care about football.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfred Williams tells the story of when he was a rookie he had his signing bonus put into a bank account and then he hid all of his game checks for the year under his mattress. At the end of the year whoever writes the checks called him and told him he needed to do something about that so he finally after a year put the checks in a bank account.

You are right many of these guys are coming from nothing and have no clue what they are doing. It is why some of them get arrest warrants for not paying parking tickets because they don't know what they should do or that it is a big deal.

You are asking a 21 year old to think 50 years into the future. Some are smart enough to understand to plan that way but the majority have no clue. Throw in then they have family that have no clue either and just see that they are connected to a meal ticket and take advantage of the good nature of the player. Go look up the story of the LT for the Cowboys and how he had to cut his family completely off and when he did they showed up at his house and demanded more money. He had to call the police on his own family.

Loved this dude. What a player, too.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this dude still not signed? Good luck signing any free agents in the future.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the last rookie holdout to go into a regular season? Bryant McKinnie? I thought Crabtree had a long one too.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was started on Aug 4th...this Thurs will mark 3 weeks if he hasn't signed by then...so far it doesn't sound like much conversation is going on between his agent and the Chargers.

I still think he will sign prior to the reg season, but the likelihood of having an impact rookie season is going down the tubes....bad deal for the Chargers and imo a worst deal for Bosa.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was started on Aug 4th...this Thurs will mark 3 weeks if he hasn't signed by then...so far it doesn't sound like much conversation is going on between his agent and the Chargers.

I still think he will sign prior to the reg season, but the likelihood of having an impact rookie season is going down the tubes....bad deal for the Chargers and imo a worst deal for Bosa.

Yep I feel like he just needed to eat it. Not a good look for either side at all.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the last rookie holdout to go into a regular season? Bryant McKinnie? I thought Crabtree had a long one too.

Not sure but this is the first extended holdout since they signed the new CBA. Most rookies deals are done long before camp