• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeffri Chadiha article on Seahawks defense

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hesitate to recommend this article considering how down he's been on all things Seahawks for the last 5 years, but Jeff Chadiha just wrote an article for espn.com touting the Seahawks defense as maybe the last great defense in the NFL. I guess I'll just post the link and let you guys decide whether to read it or not. It's a pretty good read if you forget who wrote it.

Why Seattle Seahawks could be NFL's last great defense - ESPN

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read it yet, but if we could build this defense in 5 years, why couldn't another team starting next season do the same? If his argument is that the league caters to offense too much, it's already been doing that since before we drafted Earl, Kam, and Sherm.

Chadiha has never struck me as a very intelligent writer.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that was his argument alright.

I agree that our Defense is more impressive due to the league's obsession with offense, but to suggest that a defense created in the last 5 years, in the middle of that obsession, can't happen again is just fucking dumb.

This article would have made sense in like 1998 before the Ravens D started to establish itself, and funny enough, it would have been wrong then too. :L

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy is a known Seahawks basher (Carroll will fail, drafts suck, Wilson will not succeed) and writes pointless stupid articles all the time with outlandish STATEMENTS (not even predictions - WILL, ARE).

I disregard everything that clown writes.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it,,, saw he wrote it, and I didn't bother.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the dude has always had some issue with the Hawks, but I don't see what's so hard to grok about his article.

Said Savage: "If you go back to the 1980s and 1990s, you would find a lot of coaches putting their best athletes on defense, which is what happened with a guy like Deion Sanders. But as the game has changed to more three- and four-receiver sets, that talented cornerback can be neutralized to the point that high school coaches are now putting their best athletes back on offense. Those coaches know they have to score points, so they want as much ammunition as possible on that side of the ball.

"If you go to the combine, you'll see that wide receivers are getting bigger and faster every year, while cornerbacks are getting smaller and slower. It's basically getting harder to find elite defensive backs who can play at this level."

Combine with what he wrote a few paragraphs earlier, where he points out correctly that the only draft pick in the LOB at higher than the 5th round was Thomas, and he's predicting that replicating what Seattle has done in the last five years will be unlikely.

I agree with him on that.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the dude has always had some issue with the Hawks, but I don't see what's so hard to grok about his article.

Combine with what he wrote a few paragraphs earlier, where he points out correctly that the only draft pick in the LOB at higher than the 5th round was Thomas, and he's predicting that replicating what Seattle has done in the last five years will be unlikely.

I agree with him on that.

And that needs an article on ESPN?

Drafting the next Tom Brady is unlikely. Tom Landry rising from the dead to become the Broncos new Head Coach is unlikely. Those things don't need to be said either.

I'm all for reading pieces that praise the Seahawks, but this guy writes crap and thinks it's gold.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll post this here. People have been salivating at our defense, and having the #1 scoring defense 3 years in a row is impressive (first time since Vikings in 69-71). There's been a lot of speculation on where this defense falls, so I did some comparisons between this defense and defenses of the past. I only did single season numbers, so no 10 year running defenses here. The defenses I used were:

1976 Pittsburgh Steelers
1985 Chicago Bears
2000 Baltimore Raves
1971 Minnesota Vikings
1990 New York Giants
1973 Miami Dolphins
1975 Los Angeles Rams
2005 Chicago Bears
2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2013 Seattle Seahawks
2014 Seattle Seawks

Here's what I came up with:

Against the pass

#1 02 Bucs
#2 73 Dolphins
#3 13 Seahawks
#4 85 Bears
#5 00 Ravens
#6t 76 Steelers
#6t 75 Rams
#8 71 Vikings
#9 14 Seahawks
#10 05 Bears
#11 90 Giants

Against the run

#1 00 Ravens
#2 76 Steelers
#3t 85 Bears
#4t 75 Rams
#5 14 Seahwks
#6 71 Vikings
#7 02 Bucs
#8 90 Ginats
#9 13 Seahawks
#10 05 Bears
#11 73 Dolphins

Overall

#1 00 Ravens
#2 02 Bucs
#3 76 Steelers
#4 85 Bears
#5 75 Rams
#6 13 Seahawks
#7 73 Dolphins
#8 14 Seahawks
#9 71 Vikings
#10 90 Giants
#11 05 Bears

This was not overly in depth - as only these 11 were considered, but it gives a general idea how the last two seasons stack up against other top defensive seasonal performances. Side note, 7 of these defenses won the Super Bowl that year (with 1 yet to be played) and only 2 didn't make it there (again one to be seen, yet).

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SSSHHHHHHHHH, let's not let the moneyball secret out that building a superstar defense through cheap draft capital is the way to build a franchise in an Offense oriented league. We don't need more competition for our 4th round and lower draft picks.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that needs an article on ESPN?

Drafting the next Tom Brady is unlikely. Tom Landry rising from the dead to become the Broncos new Head Coach is unlikely. Those things don't need to be said either.

I'm all for reading pieces that praise the Seahawks, but this guy writes crap and thinks it's gold.

Why not? Not everybody who reads ESPN is a Seahawk fanatic. If it brings more knowledge to average people as to just how special what Pete and Schneider have done, what's the downside?

I mean you have other 'knowledgeable' fans here on this site who think that our success had been achieved with Adderal and some ref conspiracy.

It's not too hard to see that the Seahawks still don't have much of a following outside the PNW.

Maybe I see that because I'm outside the immeidate area, but Seattle is still the closest geographical team and yet I see more SF/Cowboys/Packers/Steelers gear here than I do blue and green. Heck I went to a local bar with my Arizona fan buddy to watch the cards night game, and we were outnumbered by friggin CARDINAL fans!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the league keeps leaning the way they are though, defense is gonna get tougher and tougher... I mean dam, it seem's like every year there trying something new that favors the offense... I get SO fricking ticked off because it's obvious Goodell and his cronies are behind this BS ... Offense they think sell's the product more... There not even looking at it objectively like a football fan ... The concussion issues I get, something had to be done there... BUT the other shit, like barely touching a receiver and the flag get's thrown is a vaginal issue, not and injury issue... It's all for more offensive numbers...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SSSHHHHHHHHH, let's not let the moneyball secret out that building a superstar defense through cheap draft capital is the way to build a franchise in an Offense oriented league. We don't need more competition for our 4th round and lower draft picks.

There was a bit of luck involved as well. If they did the drafts over then Sherman and Chancellor are top 5 with Wagner 10 at the lowest. We got those guys in the 2nd and 5th rounds. I'm sure that they were all on other peoples radar (probably not Sherman, PC's recruiting of him was probably what gave him the hunch) and we're lucky that someone else didn't pull the trigger. I don't know what the hell people were thinking about Chancellor. I watched him play at VT and he clearly had NFL starter talent.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a bit of luck involved as well. If they did the drafts over then Sherman and Chancellor are top 5 with Wagner 10 at the lowest. We got those guys in the 2nd and 5th rounds. I'm sure that they were all on other peoples radar (probably not Sherman, PC's recruiting of him was probably what gave him the hunch) and we're lucky that someone else didn't pull the trigger. I don't know what the hell people were thinking about Chancellor. I watched him play at VT and he clearly had NFL starter talent.

It's not luck at all. It's thousands of hours of work by JS and his staff researching, scouting, combing through hours and hours of tape. and making educated assumptions on how the draft will fall.

And then its thousands and thousands of hours of coaching and development and study by PC and his staff and the players themselves.

Nothing about that was luck. Luck is happening to get the first pick and having Andrew Luck there instead of Eric Fisher..........., Luck is not taking a risk of a third round pick on a short qb nobody wanted, giving him the job immediately and riding him along side a historically great defense you built from the ground up.

nothing about that was luck.