• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Hawks Offseason Thread:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a great article of the top 10 FA's the Hawks should pursue...

Seahawks offseason: The top 10 free agents Seattle should go after

10) Randall Cobb, wide receiver, Dallas (78): Seahawks are looking for a third receiver behind Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. Neither David Moore or Jaron Brown have proven to be the answer. John Ursua might be a candidate, but Cobb would be a nice veteran addition who has 525 receptions for 6,352 yards and 44 TDs in his career. He’ll be 30 when the season starts.

• 9) Demar Dotson, right tackle, Tampa Bay (56): You got me, I’ve never heard of him, but if he’s good enough to be 56th on somebody’s top 100 list and third-best right tackle on that list, sign me up for Dotson to replace Germain Ifedi, who is expected to sign elsewhere in free agency. He’s bound to be an upgrade over Ifedi, who isn’t mentioned on the NFL Trade Rumors list.

• 8) Carlos Hyde, running back, Houston (99): Rushed for 1,070 yards on 245 carries for the Texans. Nice insurance policy if you have questions about Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny returning from their injuries. Could be a lead back, a No. 2 or provide solid depth at the age of 30.

• 7) Michael Brockers, defensive tackle, Rams (53): If Jarran Reed leaves in free agency, Brockers could fill in nicely. One of the best defensive-tackle prospects in the 2012 draft. Could help the Seahawks improve their poor run defense.

• 6) Darqueze Dennard, cornerback, Cincinnati (56): As with Dotson, I’ve got sketchy research on Dennard, but if he’s a starting slot corner with an NFL team, even if it’s the Bengals, perhaps he’d shore up a position that was problematic for the Seahawks this year. Especially if you have questions about Ugo Amadi moving forward.

• 5) Dante Fowler, outside linebacker, Rams (19): Might be too pricey, but we all know how badly the Seahawks need a pass rusher, and Fowler had a breakthrough season with 11.5 sacks for the Rams. Had 16 in his first three seasons, which might bring his asking price within Schneider’s range.

• 4) Hunter Henry, tight end, Chargers (18): If you’re not sold on Will Dissly being 100 percent coming back from a torn Achilles the year after he came back from a torn patellar tendon, then Henry could be an option. Former second-round choice out of Arkansas, Henry had 55 receptions for 662 yards and five TDs for the Chargers in 2019.

• 3) Kenyan Drake, running back, Arizona (45): Like Hyde, another possibility at running back, but an even better option. We saw him run for 166 yards and two TDs in Arizona’s 27-13 win over the Seahawks in December. Rushed for 817 yards and eight TDs last year.

• 2) Joe Thuney, left guard, New England (30): Seahawks aren’t expected to re-sign Mike Iupati, leaving an opening that could be capably filled by Thuney, the best left guard on the NFL Trade Rumors list. Another expensive guy, but wouldn’t you like to see some improvements on the O-line? Plus Thuney’s only 27, making him a possible fixture for years to come.

• 1) Arik Armstead, defensive end, San Francisco (13): He had 10 sacks for the 49ers this year, and I like the idea of weakening a division foe while strengthening your own team. Sacramento native but played at Oregon, might be interested in heading back to the Northwest and helping the Seahawks get more than 28 sacks next year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

10) Randall Cobb, wide receiver, Dallas (78): Seahawks are looking for a third receiver behind Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. Neither David Moore or Jaron Brown have proven to be the answer. John Ursua might be a candidate, but Cobb would be a nice veteran addition who has 525 receptions for 6,352 yards and 44 TDs in his career. He’ll be 30 when the season starts.

• 9) Demar Dotson, right tackle, Tampa Bay (56): You got me, I’ve never heard of him, but if he’s good enough to be 56th on somebody’s top 100 list and third-best right tackle on that list, sign me up for Dotson to replace Germain Ifedi, who is expected to sign elsewhere in free agency. He’s bound to be an upgrade over Ifedi, who isn’t mentioned on the NFL Trade Rumors list.

• 8) Carlos Hyde, running back, Houston (99): Rushed for 1,070 yards on 245 carries for the Texans. Nice insurance policy if you have questions about Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny returning from their injuries. Could be a lead back, a No. 2 or provide solid depth at the age of 30.

• 7) Michael Brockers, defensive tackle, Rams (53): If Jarran Reed leaves in free agency, Brockers could fill in nicely. One of the best defensive-tackle prospects in the 2012 draft. Could help the Seahawks improve their poor run defense.

• 6) Darqueze Dennard, cornerback, Cincinnati (56): As with Dotson, I’ve got sketchy research on Dennard, but if he’s a starting slot corner with an NFL team, even if it’s the Bengals, perhaps he’d shore up a position that was problematic for the Seahawks this year. Especially if you have questions about Ugo Amadi moving forward.

• 5) Dante Fowler, outside linebacker, Rams (19): Might be too pricey, but we all know how badly the Seahawks need a pass rusher, and Fowler had a breakthrough season with 11.5 sacks for the Rams. Had 16 in his first three seasons, which might bring his asking price within Schneider’s range.

• 4) Hunter Henry, tight end, Chargers (18): If you’re not sold on Will Dissly being 100 percent coming back from a torn Achilles the year after he came back from a torn patellar tendon, then Henry could be an option. Former second-round choice out of Arkansas, Henry had 55 receptions for 662 yards and five TDs for the Chargers in 2019.

• 3) Kenyan Drake, running back, Arizona (45): Like Hyde, another possibility at running back, but an even better option. We saw him run for 166 yards and two TDs in Arizona’s 27-13 win over the Seahawks in December. Rushed for 817 yards and eight TDs last year.

• 2) Joe Thuney, left guard, New England (30): Seahawks aren’t expected to re-sign Mike Iupati, leaving an opening that could be capably filled by Thuney, the best left guard on the NFL Trade Rumors list. Another expensive guy, but wouldn’t you like to see some improvements on the O-line? Plus Thuney’s only 27, making him a possible fixture for years to come.

• 1) Arik Armstead, defensive end, San Francisco (13): He had 10 sacks for the 49ers this year, and I like the idea of weakening a division foe while strengthening your own team. Sacramento native but played at Oregon, might be interested in heading back to the Northwest and helping the Seahawks get more than 28 sacks next year.

Interesting list with players that could help. I'd skip spending money on FA RBs or WRs and concentrate on the rest of the list.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert quinn should be on that list. He is older but still has something in the tank as a pure pass rusher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read that article and wasn't a huge fan of it. I also think it's hard to speculate on what the Seahawks "should do" when we don't know what's going to happen with Clowney.

With the defensive line: Personally I think the Seahawks need to focus on retaining Clowney then waiting until the second wave of free agency to find the type of bargains they did with Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think they could probably sign a guy like Robert Quinn for a reasonable amount on a short-term deal.

Regarding Kenyan Drake and Carlos Hyde: I'm a hard no on this one. I understand that Carson and Penny are coming back from injuries, but signing Drake or Hyde just doesn't make sense unless the Seahawks are confident that the injuries Penny and Carson suffered will render them useless.

I also hate to say it, but the Seahawks might want to consider moving on from K.J. Wright. It wouldn't be a popular move but his cap hit of $7.5m could save the Seahawks a lot of money and I'd be comfortable going with Cody Barton or a low cost outside linebacker to replace him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article and wasn't a huge fan of it. I also think it's hard to speculate on what the Seahawks "should do" when we don't know what's going to happen with Clowney.

With the defensive line: Personally I think the Seahawks need to focus on retaining Clowney then waiting until the second wave of free agency to find the type of bargains they did with Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril. I think they could probably sign a guy like Robert Quinn for a reasonable amount on a short-term deal.

Regarding Kenyan Drake and Carlos Hyde: I'm a hard no on this one. I understand that Carson and Penny are coming back from injuries, but signing Drake or Hyde just doesn't make sense unless the Seahawks are confident that the injuries Penny and Carson suffered will render them useless.

I also hate to say it, but the Seahawks might want to consider moving on from K.J. Wright. It wouldn't be a popular move but his cap hit of $7.5m could save the Seahawks a lot of money and I'd be comfortable going with Cody Barton or a low cost outside linebacker to replace him.
A+ post.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Appreciate it. Right now I do find it really difficult to speculate on what the Hawks should do in free agency without knowing what will happen with Clowney.

A question that I keep asking myself is; should we spend $20m+ a year on Clowney or take the third round comp pick and spend that money on a combination of defensive linemen? Kind of a difficult situation, especially with how bad our pass rush was in 2019.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate it. Right now I do find it really difficult to speculate on what the Hawks should do in free agency without knowing what will happen with Clowney.

A question that I keep asking myself is; should we spend $20m+ a year on Clowney or take the third round comp pick and spend that money on a combination of defensive linemen? Kind of a difficult situation, especially with how bad our pass rush was in 2019.
Dang we share a lot of same line of thinking on the Seahawks. Clowney is important to a DL lacking playmakers, but the money, guarantees, ....IDK if it would work out signing him, I worry it will end up being a mistake made on a career season in a contract year for a player with a injury history. Yet the Seahawks need what he produced last season so back to IDK.....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 60+ mil under the cap, this is the year to add a piece or two on the defense including resigning Clowney.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great input... Tough to find the bargains you mention for DL... We tried last year with Ziggy... Clowney is a must sign imo... ...

Drake? Yes... Agreed... Hyde wouldn't be a bad option, nor would he cost too much imo...

I'm with you on KJ Wright... We can't afford to have a regressing LB make that much dinero this coming season... Especially if we have a rising star basically making league minimum lying in the wings... I personally want to see more Cody Barton... He's got a high motor and a very high football IQ... He's what we need in that LB corp... IMO, KJ looked like he really lost a step this season... Had a hard time covering TE's, something he's been good in prior years...

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the Seahawks aren’t making any major changes for coordinators so that means Norton is staying

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the Seahawks aren’t making any major changes for coordinators so that means Norton is staying

Indiana-University-Head-Coach-Bob-Knight-Throws-Chair-On-Court.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) Joe Thuney, left guard, New England (30): Seahawks aren’t expected to re-sign Mike Iupati, leaving an opening that could be capably filled by Thuney, the best left guard on the NFL Trade Rumors list. Another expensive guy, but wouldn’t you like to see some improvements on the O-line? Plus Thuney’s only 27, making him a possible fixture for years to come.

Think he'd be a nice addition. Couple of other OL that are FA Jack Conklin at RT would be great, likely gets resigned by the Titans who also have plenty of cap space, but have to look at spending money at the QB position which is costly and resigning Derrick Henry so you never know, maybe Conklin slips away.

Brandon Scherff at guard would help. Like Conklin likely gets resigned by the Redskins who have plenty of cap. Course the Redskins have botched up things like this in the pass, so always hope.

All these players could be spendy, so the hope being getting fortunate with the market. For a low rick high reward type Daryl Williams maybe?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know with the amount of FA on this team and the lack of talent on defense i can't help but think this team will have to work EXTREMELY hard in FA this year no matter what. They will have to sign a lot of talent theirs or other FA and if they don't... i feel we could see a even worse version of this defense in 2020. LOTS of work to be done and out of all the years this one feels like a rebuild is needed, Not a "restock".

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good start would be replacing Norton, improve the pass rush, sign Clowney,draft a good corner... This offseason should be all about improving the defense, it was our downfall...
  • 31st in punts per drive
  • 32nd in third-downs forced
  • 32nd in early-down first downs
  • 26th in red zone defense
  • 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in yards after catch allowed
  • 29th in tackles for loss in passing situations
  • 29th in missed tackle
  • 26th in run defense by DVOA

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good start would be replacing Norton, improve the pass rush, sign Clowney,draft a good corner... This offseason should be all about improving the defense, it was our downfall...
  • 31st in punts per drive
  • 32nd in third-downs forced
  • 32nd in early-down first downs
  • 26th in red zone defense
  • 28th in pressure rate
  • 29th in yards after catch allowed
  • 29th in tackles for loss in passing situations
  • 29th in missed tackle
  • 26th in run defense by DVOA

Yes need a influx of talent on defense. Looking at PPF on grading of FAs:

25. EDGE SHAQUIL BARRETT
Barrett has gone from underrated role player to potentially overrated pass-rusher after a career year that saw him pressure the quarterback 82 times (20 sacks, 18 QB hits, 44 hurries). The sacks will get most of the attention, and will perhaps lead to him being overpaid, but it’s the 82.0 pass-rush grade that is a better indicator of Barrett’s future success. He’s graded between 71.3 and 82.0 as a pass-rusher in all five years of his career, and that baseline projects a solid player rather than the Defensive Player of the Year candidate that the stats would suggest. Barrett deserves credit for taking advantage of a starting role and putting together a career year, but potential suitors must look beyond the gaudy sack totals before investing long term.

26. EDGE YANNICK NGAKOUE
Ngakoue has followed his collegiate profile as a good pass-rusher and below-average run defender (career-high grade of 60.0 in 2018). His best season came in 2017, as he graded at 81.0 overall to go with an 88.2 pass-rush grade and 82 total pressures (14 sacks, 15 QB hits, 53 hurries). Over the last two years, he’s posted pass-rush grades of 76.8 in 2018 and 77.5 this season, both solid numbers but not at the 2017 level that had Ngakoue looking like the next great pass-rusher in the NFL. At just 25 years old, he looks like a strong presence off the edge for the foreseeable future, but his questionable run defense coupled with the fact that more valuable positions are hitting the open market has us lower on him than most.

Players like these could help, but they have their warts and their cost could end up being high given their is always a strong market for pass rushers.

28. DI/EDGE ARIK ARMSTEAD
Former first-round pick Arik Armstead has been a solid enough player for the 49ers since being drafted, but this season he took a step towards being something else entirely. Armstead has played the most snaps of his career this season and has been dramatically more productive as a pass-rusher, almost doubling his previous career-high in total pressures. Armstead has elite physical tools and impressive versatility, but a big leap forward in production in a contract year will always set alarm bells ringing. Armstead’s potential is significant, and he showed this season that high-level production is there to be drawn out of him if a team thinks they can be the one to do it.

I'm starting to warm up to Armstead if the cost is right,

53. EDGE ROBERT QUINN
Robert Quinn's 2013 season, the one in which he racked up over 90 total pressures and earned an overall PFF grade of 93.6, is still one of the best edge-rushing seasons that PFF has ever seen. That year, Quinn was a phenomenon when it came to beating tackles around the corner, but frustratingly, he was never able to get near that level again. His career went sideways when he was forced into schemes that asked him to be a stand-up linebacker on the edge, but his 2019 season in Dallas saw him return to some of his better play as a defensive end. This season saw him post 57 total pressures, the best figure he has recorded since that 2013 season.

Quinn who most likely cost the least and could be a upgrade of sorts.

All in all not a lot of pass rushers available in free agent market, so any team signing one is going to have to over pay I'm guessing.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with as much work needed on D, i do not know if it's something they can fix in "ONE" offseason. The Greatest defensive coach out there would have a hard time making this group a top 20 defense. I have no doubts had the best defensive coach in the NFL coached Seattle's Defense last year they still would have sucked. Some times you have to point at the talent not the coaching.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with as much work needed on D, i do not know if it's something they can fix in "ONE" offseason. The Greatest defensive coach out there would have a hard time making this group a top 20 defense. I have no doubts had the best defensive coach in the NFL coached Seattle's Defense last year they still would have sucked. Some times you have to point at the talent not the coaching.

Yeah I agree. Seahawks seriously need a upgrade in talent on defense before you can really grade the coaching. Also agree it is going to take more then one off season to fix the talent gap.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We should at least be in the middle of the pack, X and O’s were part of our downfall... I don’t think anyone expects a top 5 D, but stinking near the bottom you gotta at least look at schemes a little and players underachieving... Blitzing Rodgers twice on 3rd and long with the season on the line and dropping Clowney back in coverage was the icing on the cake for me, that’s piss poor strategy .... It was predictable that our defense would end our season.... We gotta get more talent, and play smarter on that side of the ball...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should at least be in the middle of the pack, X and O’s were part of our downfall... I don’t think anyone expects a top 5 D, but stinking near the bottom you gotta at least look at schemes a little and players underachieving... Blitzing Rodgers twice on 3rd and long with the season on the line and dropping Clowney back in coverage was the icing on the cake for me, that’s piss poor strategy .... It was predictable that our defense would end our season.... We gotta get more talent, and play smarter on that side of the ball...

that's not piss poor strategy that's just X's and O's. A defense schemes up for offensive formations and they have check's and balances. If a defense is in man/zone and then the offense shifts the defense can match and shift but this could then make say CLOWNEY cover not rush. Trying to scheme around that would be extremely hard you would then be practicing for ONE single type of play for hours and thats just not how they do it and the more you talk about it the more i wonder if you ever even played football in Highschool or higher where you start getting much better coaching. I am not bashing you or saying you are not right i am saying you seem to not understand how this all works at the "deepest" most fundamental level. you can not SCHEME for everything no matter what!