• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Green Bay Packers

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed that part about " using it in the second half" then thats some of the dumbest shit ive heard. Wakes up the part of me that wants an offensive minded hc.

it was actually quoted from Shottenheimer at half. That Russell always has a green light to run, but that they prefer he do it in the second half and don’t call any designed runs for him in the first (or something like that). But yeah, basically the Seahawks purposefully run a more conservative offense in the first half, which isn’t that surprising looking at the results under Pete.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was actually quoted from Shottenheimer at half. That Russell always has a green light to run, but that they prefer he do it in the second half and don’t call any designed runs for him in the first (or something like that). But yeah, basically the Seahawks purposefully run a more conservative offense in the first half, which isn’t that surprising looking at the results under Pete.

I'm fine with that when Carson and Penny are healthy but knowing the run game has lacked since they went out, they should have changed up the scheme. They got away with it in Philly but GB is a much better team and they got to far behind before changes were made.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with that when Carson and Penny are healthy but knowing the run game has lacked since they went out, they should have changed up the scheme. They got away with it in Philly but GB is a much better team and they got to far behind before changes were made.

Agreed. Schottenheimer (and Pete) hasn't adjusted in the playoffs when the offensive gameplan isn't working right. That was the complaint against the Cowboys last year as well.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, disappointing way to see it all come to an end. I really thought Russell was going to get it done when we had the ball with 5 min left. GB had used all their TOs, and I just knew we were going to methodically (in a chaotic sort of way) march down and score with under a minute left. Just couldn't make that 1 more play. Malik Turner's drop was killer, and of course being totally unable to run the ball (except for Russell) made it that much more difficult. It's remarkable how close this team came to making the NFCC given how the injuries piled up over the last few weeks of the season. And I know we were only 4-4 at home this year, but next season we just have to figure out how to avoid playing on the road the first 2 weeks.

Sure would have been great to have Carson or even Penny in this game. I admire Lynch for coming back to help his old team try to get it done, but he's got nothing left and appears to be at least 15 pounds over weight. Homer is looking like he'll be a good 3rd down guy, but having absolutely no help from the running game is probably what did us in.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying that Seattle played better this season than expected and that they didn't have them in the playoffs. That's not how I remember the prediction thread going.

@MKHawk 11-5 Lose Divisional Round
@flyerhawk 11-5 Lose NFCC
@Cave_Johnson 10-6 Lose Divisional Round
@Anointed One 11-5 Playoffs
@JMR 12-4 Playoffs
@Screamin12th 9-7 No Playoffs
@FirebreathingMonkey 11-5 Playoffs
@Judge Fudge 12-4 SB
@jerseyhawksfan79 11-5 Playoffs
@Dr. Strangelove 11-5 (12-4) Playoffs
I had us at 10-6 (just didn't post)

Really, it looks like the Seahawks were exactly where most on the board had us located. Good season, hopefully they build on it next year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, it looks like the Seahawks were exactly where most on the board had us located. Good season, hopefully they build on it next year.
Yeah, and most of us probably had them a little better than non-Seattle fans. Also, I don't think I would have said 12 wins if I knew all the key offensive players we would be without toward the end of the year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying that Seattle played better this season than expected and that they didn't have them in the playoffs. That's not how I remember the prediction thread going.

@JMR 12-4 Playoffs
@Judge Fudge 12-4 SB

I expect the Seahawks to win 10 or 11 games every season solely because we have Russell Wilson. Had we stayed healthy I think this team could have been a Super Bowl team which is better than what I expected.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@JMR 12-4 Playoffs
@Judge Fudge 12-4 SB

Doubt I was in that thread, but I didn't think they were more than a 8-8 or maybe 9-7 at best and just miss the playoffs. Didn't like the defense and none of the RBs had really proven they could replace lynch's productivity.

They exceeded what I expected, but looked as bad as I thought. They had a few ugly wins they probably shouldn't have won.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like the first half was a complete shit show

Wash rinse repeat with this franchise.

I appreciate everything Carroll has brought to this city but they lose the same way almost every year. Slow start in a road playoff game.

2012 Atlanta 0 1st half points
2015 Carolina 0 1st half points
2016 Atlanta 10 1st half points
2018 Dallas 6 1st half points
2019 Green Bay 3 1st half points

This whole you cant win the game in the 1st half thing isnt cute anymore. You dont have the talent anymore to just sleepwalk through 1st half and rely on Russell Wilson pull magic out of the blue. You need to play 4 quarters and this isnt a coincidence anymore. Pete allows this to happen and its a huge reason why we have in all likelihood peaked under him

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@JMR 12-4 Playoffs
@Judge Fudge 12-4 SB

They definitely exceeded my expectations with all the injuries we had to deal with this year...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't post it but I was thinking 9-7. Was a pleasant surprise to be in the hunt for HFA. The roster has plenty of holes that need filling.
My power went out before the game started and got fixed this morning, so I missed the game yesterday.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would make more sense if our defense was any good...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Schottenheimer (and Pete) hasn't adjusted in the playoffs when the offensive gameplan isn't working right. That was the complaint against the Cowboys last year as well.

If they went with the second half game plan the entire game, they probably wouldn't have been down 18 at the half and would have had a better chance at winning the game.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@JMR 12-4 Playoffs
@Judge Fudge 12-4 SB

Get Carson healthy and have a nice combo with him and Homer, sign Clowney, add a piece or two in FA, plus the draft I think this could be another 11-13 win team next season and battle the Niners for the division again.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash rinse repeat with this franchise.

I appreciate everything Carroll has brought to this city but they lose the same way almost every year. Slow start in a road playoff game.

2012 Atlanta 0 1st half points
2015 Carolina 0 1st half points
2016 Atlanta 10 1st half points
2018 Dallas 6 1st half points
2019 Green Bay 3 1st half points

This whole you cant win the game in the 1st half thing isnt cute anymore. You dont have the talent anymore to just sleepwalk through 1st half and rely on Russell Wilson pull magic out of the blue. You need to play 4 quarters and this isnt a coincidence anymore. Pete allows this to happen and its a huge reason why we have in all likelihood peaked under him

It's frustrating for sure and I hope Pete and Shotty will learn that they need to change up the scheme more quickly when things aren't working. I don't think they fully peaked as this team with some added additions in the off season thru FA and the draft I think can contend. We're really a year ahead of schedule on when we thought the Hawks would be back contending for a SB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they went with the second half game plan the entire game, they probably wouldn't have been down 18 at the half and would have had a better chance at winning the game.
But you also may change GB's defensive approach if you do that. One of the reasons it's easier to succeed on offense when you're down 3 scores in the 2nd half is because the other team knows the odds of you beating them are very small so long as they don't give up multiple quick scores. They trade space for time. Fans are always bagging on "prevent defense" but pretty much every team is willing to give up some yardage while holding a late lead to see the clock become more and more of a factor.

There's also much greater risk involved in playing the way we were forced to play in the 2nd half. Your chances for a turnover or 1 minute possessions go way up. I am not saying that PC should not change a single thing, but you also cannot change a part of the game and expect everything else to be unaffected.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating for sure and I hope Pete and Shotty will learn that they need to change up the scheme more quickly when things aren't working. I don't think they fully peaked as this team with some added additions in the off season thru FA and the draft I think can contend. We're really a year ahead of schedule on when we thought the Hawks would be back contending for a SB.

Thing is they don't have any new building blocks on the team. yes they have Wagner, Lockett and Russell and i guess you can add Metcalf as he really showed up as a rookie. CC was a fumbling machine and i have fears about that hip injury. Thats not really a contact injury thats he over powered his own body type injury. Penny oof lets hope he isn't another often injured Prosise and i hear it could be middle to end of October for a full return. The Defense omg it was one of the worst against the rush ( 21st ), one of the worst against the pass ( 26th ) and one of the worst at sacking a QB ( 29th ) but don't let that 29th ranking fool you only 1 team had less than the Seahawks ( 3 tied ) oh lets not forget the piss poor Special teams when it comes to returns also. they ranked 24th in Punt return average and 29th in Kick return average. How this team even made it to 11-5 is a miracle! Lots of work to do. We all ready know the Kicking game was not so hot either.

Silver lining? They were 11-5 with all these issues, WOW think about that for a minute.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can look at a ranking like 26th vs the pass and think about how terrible it is....but then you have to realize that it's only based on yardage. The D was top 10 in passer rating against, which I think tells more of a story than yards. Rankings can also be a little deceiving because there usually is not a ton of difference between 25th and 15th in a lot of stats. Works the other way too. For example, Philly ranked 10th in total defense (331 yds/game) but the difference in yards between 1st was about the same as it was with the team ranked 27th. Game of inches applies to statistical rankings as well.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you also may change GB's defensive approach if you do that. One of the reasons it's easier to succeed on offense when you're down 3 scores in the 2nd half is because the other team knows the odds of you beating them are very small so long as they don't give up multiple quick scores. They trade space for time. Fans are always bagging on "prevent defense" but pretty much every team is willing to give up some yardage while holding a late lead to see the clock become more and more of a factor.

There's also much greater risk involved in playing the way we were forced to play in the 2nd half. Your chances for a turnover or 1 minute possessions go way up. I am not saying that PC should not change a single thing, but you also cannot change a part of the game and expect everything else to be unaffected.

I wasn't worried about GBs D, wished they attacked it more cause that defense was way out of synch on the up tempo. I know there's risk, but with a banged up team they need to take the greater risk and keep GB on their heels.