• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Gunn's DC Universe

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Forcing it into a black panther movie”…

???

Forcing what?

Making it aboht the sister

It wasn’t just Boseman

They tried to do it for woke points in the comics

And not the only one:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC post-credit scenes that now look like they will never go anywhere (note the first one in the upper-left corner precedes and is not for the DCEU):

u5sf3tms3x6a1.jpg

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deathstroke is such a good character and DC has just not gotten him right on the big screen.

They also should do a teen titans movie.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know if they are losing money though. Disney, with Hulu and ESPN they can afford taking a loss. And it benefits them to create quality that is targeted to minorities. I mean if they used a lower budget and created less quality do you know the message that would be shown. And no this is not even be woke. It grows fanbase with the minorities and makes them more likely to see the other movies and shows.

A big company taking a loss on something very popular is not really a loss especially when it protects them from any political consequences

I'm not saying that they are losing money, but it's simple math. Disney gets about 50% of the domestic box office, and a bit less than that from the international box office outside of China, so if they had a 250M production budget and a global 150M marketing budget for Wakanda Forever, they need 800M + just to break even on the theatrical run. Obviously, they have merch, streaming and a bunch of other sources of revenue which take time to materialize, but they are not getting the ROI they used to get.

BTW, regarding the bolded part: First: A smaller more adequate budget does not necessarily mean less quality. And Second: It's a business, they are supposed to do what makes money. They will stop pandering to some segments if it keeps hurting their bottom line, just like they do when they release movies in China or in the Middle East. Things are not going so well for Disney when they abruptly fired their CEO a few weeks ago.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that they are losing money, but it's simple math. Disney gets about 50% of the domestic box office, and a bit less than that from the international box office outside of China, so if they had a 250M production budget and a global 150M marketing budget for Wakanda Forever, they need 800M + just to break even on the theatrical run. Obviously, they have merch, streaming and a bunch of other sources of revenue which take time to materialize, but they are not getting the ROI they used to get.

BTW, regarding the bolded part: First: A smaller more adequate budget does not necessarily mean less quality. And Second: It's a business, they are supposed to do what makes money. They will stop pandering to some segments if it keeps hurting their bottom line, just like they do when they release movies in China or in the Middle East. Things are not going so well for Disney when they abruptly fired their CEO a few weeks ago.

Marvel comics has been getting absolutely crushed due to their bullshit wokeness

It wouldn’t shock me if that is bleeding over into movies

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel comics has been getting absolutely crushed due to their bullshit wokeness

It wouldn’t shock me if that is bleeding over into movies

Depends on your definition of "wokeness", but I don't really mind it when the themes are integral to the stories and used correctly. I absolutely hate it when movies get preachy or judgmental, or when the diversity is forced / there just to fill a quota. With Marvel, I think that the overall quality of their stories is decreasing, regardless of whatever woke content they are including.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your definition of "wokeness", but I don't really mind it when the themes are integral to the stories and used correctly. I absolutely hate it when movies get preachy or judgmental, or when the diversity is forced / there just to fill a quota. With Marvel, I think that the overall quality of their stories is decreasing, regardless of whatever woke content they are including.

See the article I listed above

It’s been pretty bad

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making it aboht the sister

It wasn’t just Boseman

They tried to do it for woke points in the comics

And not the only one:

That article is both sad and hilarious.

"More recently, the new New Warriors debuted a line-up that included characters called “Snowflake” and “Safespace” and I just can’t."

LMAO

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article is both sad and hilarious.

"More recently, the new New Warriors debuted a line-up that included characters called “Snowflake” and “Safespace” and I just can’t."

LMAO

Oh they got crushed for that one

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the article I listed above

It’s been pretty bad

It's pretty funny, but it makes the point I was making: what matters is the writing and stories. Most people wouldn't care about the race / gender of a good character, and I can name several "woke" movies and tv shows that are actually great. The problem is the talentless hacks who can't create original characters and good stories for them, so they just "update" existing IP.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny, but it makes the point I was making: what matters is the writing and stories. Most people wouldn't care about the race / gender of a good character, and I can name several "woke" movies and tv shows that are actually great. The problem is the talentless hacks who can't create original characters and good stories for them, so they just "update" existing IP.

i htink we would all agree that if the agenda fits into the story well then we will be more accepting towards it...

in the superhero thread a few years back we compared Jessica jones season one with supergirl... and how JJ was written very well, and the agenda made sense... while supergirl we were just contstantly hit in the face with it...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i htink we would all agree that if the agenda fits into the story well then we will be more accepting towards it...

in the superhero thread a few years back we compared Jessica jones season one with supergirl... and how JJ was written very well, and the agenda made sense... while supergirl we were just contstantly hit in the face with it...

Yeah I love JJ and it’s woke af

Because it made sense for the character

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tbf, I would not be opposed to getting hit in the face by Benoist. She is hawt af…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I love JJ and it’s woke af

Because it made sense for the character
Black Widow is a solid character, who has been relatively well written in the MCU (if under-utilized). Wonder Woman is a solid character that has existed for over 80 years. Black Panther is a minority character who is very unique and did not need to steal the storyline of an existing character to get traction.

Woke, minority-based characters are not the problem.

Appropriating (that’s right, that is what it is) existing IP (Amadeus Cho, SheHulk, Miles Morales, ReRe Williams, Jane Foster, etc) or making a stupid character with no depth (Captain Marvel) is the problem.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Widow is a solid character, who has been relatively well written in the MCU (if under-utilized). Wonder Woman is a solid character that has existed for over 80 years. Black Panther is a minority character who is very unique and did not need to steal the storyline of an existing character to get traction.

Woke, minority-based characters are not the problem.

Appropriating (that’s right, that is what it is) existing IP (Amadeus Cho, SheHulk, Miles Morales, ReRe Williams, Jane Foster, etc) or making a stupid character with no depth (Captain Marvel) is the problem.

I really dont get the problem with this... almost every comic, the superhero has villains or sidekicks with similar powers to themselves.. it is only natural for the mantle to be passed to someone else, or another character with similar powers getting their own spinoff...

and at least with Jane foster becoming Thor, she was a main character in the thor comics... so it wasnt like they created the character just so she can become super... like all the others you mentioned...

how many times did DC start new with Flash, and Green lantern??

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont get the problem with this... almost every comic, the superhero has villains or sidekicks with similar powers to themselves.. it is only natural for the mantle to be passed to someone else, or another character with similar powers getting their own spinoff...

and at least with Jane foster becoming Thor, she was a main character in the thor comics... so it wasnt like they created the character just so she can become super... like all the others you mentioned...

how many times did DC start new with Flash, and Green lantern??
When a white male become Black Panther, get back to me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a white male become Black Panther, get back to me.

I try to not bring in politics in entertainment forum. But this is not the same.

Damn!!! Can I say this. You guys think that comics not just marvel are getting too woke. But you also say this about all of entertainment industry. So let me ask you, is there any difference?? Can’t you just accept that we live in a more woke society right now. One day it will balance out. But are we really going to cry(general statement) every time something happens???

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And black panther does have a white counterpart. He had a white brother who was of course not a biological brother. And he wears all white.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to not bring in politics in entertainment forum. But this is not the same.

Damn!!! Can I say this. You guys think that comics not just marvel are getting too woke. But you also say this about all of entertainment industry. So let me ask you, is there any difference?? Can’t you just accept that we live in a more woke society right now. One day it will balance out. But are we really going to cry(general statement) every time something happens???

We are going to mock their stupidity since it’s costing them a ton of money

And they are the same

The suit is black, it doesn’t say the person wearing it has to be