• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Gunn's DC Universe

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not a good actor. He just has an amazing look.

is there any character left in Marvel that he could take that he would be a good fit for? A white, American male? I don’t see him as a fit for Marvel.

The only roll I see for him in Bond would be Leiter, but that is a small roll. He can’t be Bond since he isn’t British.

I could see him in GoT somewhere, but I am not familiar enough with unused characters to know where he would fit. But I think GoT should focus on acting ability over raw looks.

Hate to break it to you, but Cavill is British, not American; he just does a good American accent. ;) James Bond is not out of the picture at all.

For Marvel, he's been rumored for Captain Britain, Cyclops, Doctor Doom, Gladiator, Hyperion, and Sentry.

For Game of Thrones, fans want him as Cregan Stark in House of the Dragon, as Aegon the Conqueror in a Conquest series, as Daemon Blackfyre in a Blackfyre Rebellion series, or as Robert Baratheon in a Robert's Rebellion series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to break it to you, but Cavill is British, not American; he just does a good American accent. ;) James Bond is not out of the picture at all.

For Marvel, he's been rumored for Captain Britain, Cyclops, Doctor Doom, Gladiator, Hyperion, and Sentry.

For Game of Thrones, fans want him as Cregan Stark in House of the Dragon, as Aegon the Conqueror in a Conquest series, or as Robert Baratheon in a Robert's Rebellion series.
:jaw:

God damn those fucking invading Brits. They are appropriating our culture!

Seriously, I had no idea he was a Brit. Or if I knew it, I had forgotten it. He does do a good American accent. Not like Andrew Lincoln, for example, who constantly has his accent bleed into his American.

I don’t see him as Cyclops or Doom. He is too big/ripped for those characters, imho. I thought Julian McMahon was the perfect casting for Doom. He fits the physical expectations for me perfectly. I am not familiar enough with the other characters to have an opinion, but that also means they are small enough characters that I think it would be too small a roll for someone who already held the #1 or #2 comic job available. (My comment a while ago regarding Routh was meant mainly as jest).

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious if he would attempt to right the ship with what existed or tear it down and start over. I think starting fresh is the right move instead of trying to shoehorn the various projects into something cohesive.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another origin story? How original. What’s next- a movie where we see how Bruce Wayne’s parents died and how he became Batman & possessed off the Joker?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious if he would attempt to right the ship with what existed or tear it down and start over. I think starting fresh is the right move instead of trying to shoehorn the various projects into something cohesive.
But DC movies are constantly getting rebooted (to be fair, the same can be said of Spiderman). And they have 3 distinct movie universes active right now (DCEU, Joker and Batman). That is super confusing for casual movie-goers and frustrating for the more die-hard fans.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because it seems like all the other big franchises want Cavill, while the one franchise that actually has him under contract doesn't want him. After years, DC calls him back for a cameo in Black Adam just to dump him again. DC management is so dumb.
I mean the people who wanted him back at DC no longer work there so that’s not really on the new regime. They want a younger Superman they can build around and have a few movies as he grows and unfortunately that’s not Cavill.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not a good actor. He just has an amazing look.

is there any character left in Marvel that he could take that he would be a good fit for? A white, American male? I don’t see him as a fit for Marvel.

The only roll I see for him in Bond would be Leiter, but that is a small roll. He can’t be Bond since he isn’t British.

I could see him in GoT somewhere, but I am not familiar enough with unused characters to know where he would fit. But I think GoT should focus on acting ability over raw looks.

If they're making Secret Wars as reported, I think he could make an interesting Beyonder.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hollywood Reporter: "Behind the Fall of Henry Cavill’s Superman":

THR said:
Cavill found himself in a confluence of different headwinds at the studio. Dwayne Johnson pushed for his return via the much-hyped cameo in Black Adam and a potential linchpin for Johnson's own DC universe franchise. But Black Adam has grossed $389 million worldwide, its soft performance calling into question Johnson's much-touted plans for a sequel and an eventual Adam vs. Superman movie even before Gunn's decision. The studio had its own plan as new film co-chiefs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy wanted to make a Man of Steel sequel, having Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight to write the treatment. (Classic character Brainiac was to have been the villain of that piece, a source says.)

THR said:
"In the end, he was a pawn in Dwayne's failed attempt to control a piece of DC," one insider observers.

THR said:
Cavill, sources say, did not have a deal in place to return as Superman, only a verbal agreement that the studio would develop future projects. He was paid $250,000 each for his cameos. The actor in recent years had a resurgence thanks to starring in Netflix's popular fantasy series The Witcher, which saw him earning $1 million per episode. Cavill left the show this fall, although it's unclear if the promise of more Superman appearances were behind his exit.

THR said:
Gunn and Safran are well aware of the sensitivities behind axing the popular Justice League cast by Zack Snyder as well as the sensitivities of parting ways with high-profile and popular talent. Forgoing a call to agents or producers, the executives met with Cavill to discuss their plans and seemed to indicate a potential new role down the road. The pair have also made overtures to Ben Affleck, aka Batman, asking him to direct a DC film for them while Jason Momoa — who may be done as Aquaman — has met with the duo as well, possibly about playing a new role.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they will keep the cast, but shuffle who they are all playing?

That won’t be confusing at all.

DC is fucked in the head. Bonkers, I tell you.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potentially DC could have 3 different concurrent Batmans.

The Joker universe has a Bruce Wayne.

The Matt Reaves franchise.

The new DCU will have its own Batman.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potentially DC could have 3 different concurrent Batmans.

The Joker universe has a Bruce Wayne.

The Matt Reaves franchise.

The new DCU will have its own Batman.
They also have Pennyworth as an active show, which obviously deals with the Wayne’s and their relationship with Alfred.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain what the point of even rebooting the DC universe is anymore? The brand is so dead they are just television shows

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain what the point of even rebooting the DC universe is anymore? The brand is so dead they are just television shows

To make them not dead. The only way to make them coherent and consistent is to start over and give them a fresh start

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To make them not dead. The only way to make them coherent and consistent is to start over and give them a fresh start
But what really has ever been essentially dead, then essentially became a start up again. They are way too behind Marvel to start from scratch especially since if they are going to start over then you have to have more origin stories which has already been done. IMO DC is essentially Pontiac.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny thing is, they might get their shit together and it might not matter anyway. Kind of like Star Wars and Andor, DC might make good movies now and still struggle find an audience, and they might even affect the brand further with the three DCEU moves that haven't been released yet.

Heck, even Marvel are struggling mightily atm, with most of their movies / shows underperforming and failing to make a cultural splash.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is, they might get their shit together and it might not matter anyway. Kind of like Star Wars and Andor, DC might make good movies now and still struggle find an audience, and they might even affect the brand further with the three DCEU moves that haven't been released yet.

Heck, even Marvel are struggling mightily atm, with most of their movies / shows underperforming and failing to make a cultural splash.

is marvel struggling?? i dont think they are... i think what we keep on missing is that the movies are not really targeted to adults... adults will see them because they are fans already.... Marvel's goal seems to have always been lets grow by targeting children...

Look at the most recent Thor movie, adults complained that it sucked... but kids all loved the jokes... and now we will all watch the next movie as it comes out....

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is marvel struggling?? i dont think they are... i think what we keep on missing is that the movies are not really targeted to adults... adults will see them because they are fans already.... Marvel's goal seems to have always been lets grow by targeting children...

Look at the most recent Thor movie, adults complained that it sucked... but kids all loved the jokes... and now we will all watch the next movie as it comes out....

Marvel Studios has never been "just for kids". Look at the two movies that started the Universe, Hulk and Iron Man, and see that all the character building for the titular heroes is based on adult struggles and themes. While their movies are family friendly, Marvel are not making cartoons, and they wouldn't be spending 200M+ plus marketing on each movie just to attract kids.

Marvel are struggling financially and creatively. They might not be losing money the way the rest of Disney is, but even Wakanda Forever, the flagship film of phase 4, will make "just" about 800M worldwide, 500M less than the first BP movie (and with more expensive tickets) and barely enough to cover their production + marketing budget. Marvel are also struggling creatively because, while they had a few bad movies before, now their batting average is much lower, and they've been releasing so much material without finding the level of cultural impact they used to enjoy. I'd say that the only movie that actually made a mark from phase 4 was the Sony movie, Spiderman No Way Home.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel Studios has never been "just for kids". Look at the two movies that started the Universe, Hulk and Iron Man, and see that all the character building for the titular heroes is based on adult struggles and themes. While their movies are family friendly, Marvel are not making cartoons, and they wouldn't be spending 200M+ plus marketing on each movie just to attract kids.

Marvel are struggling financially and creatively. They might not be losing money the way the rest of Disney is, but even Wakanda Forever, the flagship film of phase 4, will make "just" about 800M worldwide, 500M less than the first BP movie (and with more expensive tickets) and barely enough to cover their production + marketing budget. Marvel are also struggling creatively because, while they had a few bad movies before, now their batting average is much lower, and they've been releasing so much material without finding the level of cultural impact they used to enjoy. I'd say that the only movie that actually made a mark from phase 4 was the Sony movie, Spiderman No Way Home.

Hulk never had its own movie in this cinematic universe...

and i did not say JUST FOR KIDS... that is totally different than targeting kids... The movies are definitley family friendly for a reason... it cares more about growth than keeping its adult fans... Because fanboys are going to see the movies anyway, and parents are going to see it with their kids...