• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's time for Pete to take responsibility

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start off by saying that this thread, in no way, is intended to suggest that Pete Carroll should go. He is easily the best coach we have had.

But I think it is time for him to accept that his philosophy has to change.

When the Seahawks were easily the most talented team in football, his approach to the game made sense. Sure, we came out flat for games. Like the Texans game or the Bucs game. But eventually the talent disparity was able to push us to win the games.

But his approach to the game also leads to having a lot more chance dictating the game.

So what do I mean? I mean it is time for him to be more aggressive with our philosophy. It means taking more chances. It means occasionally going deep on the first drive of the game. It means dialing up more blitzes.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start off by saying that this thread, in no way, is intended to suggest that Pete Carroll should go. He is easily the best coach we have had.

When the Seahawks were easily the most talented team in football, his approach to the game made sense. Sure, we came out flat for games. Like the Texans game or the Bucs game. But eventually the talent disparity was able to push us to win the games.

But his approach to the game also leads to having a lot more chance dictating the game.

So what do I mean? I mean it is time for him to be more aggressive with our philosophy. It means taking more chances. It means occasionally going deep on the first drive of the game. It means dialing up more blitzes.

They've fallen into habit of waiting until half way through the second quarter before they start playing effective football. That is what I see that primarily needs to change. We need to put the other team on the their heels in the first quarter instead of always being on our own heels while we try to figure out what the opponent is doing.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be interesting to see how offense works next year. He's had teams at USC that had good passing offense, so it's not that he's dead set on one way to do things. However I do believe he thinks that a run based offense really helps the defense by chewing up the clock and that would be his first preference I think. If Rawls comes back and plays as well as he did this year, I doubt you see a huge difference in the philosophy.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where you're going FH, but as the last half of the season shows, he WILL bend a bit.

I don't ever see him as becoming Mr. Riverboat gambler, because that's fundamentally not who he is. But throwing more? Sure.

I'm probably more skeptical on blitzing more though. We've never blitzed much since Pete has been here. Ever.

Unless I'm forgetting.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number one root problem is our OL, im even willing to admit bevell can call a better game if the OL is not a complete mess in the first half.

Its time to make some concessions in other areas and build a good OL.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be interesting to see how offense works next year. He's had teams at USC that had good passing offense, so it's not that he's dead set on one way to do things. However I do believe he thinks that a run based offense really helps the defense by chewing up the clock and that would be his first preference I think. If Rawls comes back and plays as well as he did this year, I doubt you see a huge difference in the philosophy.

I actually understood why he approached the games the way he did. Makes sense when you have a studly defense. But it has gone from best in the league to one of the best but not the best. And when you play that tightly you really need your defense to keep it close.

If they get run over early we wind up being in a big hole.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I cant remember the numbers but the amount points scored in the 1st half vs 2nd half in playoff games under Pete is pretty staggered.

The offensive play calling tends to be tight to the vest in the beginning and then more loose in the 2nd half. Especially frustrating when playing a team like Carolina who is a great run defending team but vulnerable against the pass. Once we started really attacking the secondary the offense was moving. Unfortunately everyone and their mom knew the first offensive play would be a handoff to Lynch and sure enough it was a 3 yard loss and things avalanched from there.

Maybe moving away from Lynch will change some things. Regardless though your post makes sense as I and I'm sure others have noticed.