• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there no where to talk about the Combine or Draft on this site?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that is the thing though is that with a QB on the 5-year rookie contract it allows a team to have a mediocre QB yet still build a championship roster around them. You don't get that opportunity with JG. It is 1 year then huge contract or realize he is a bust.

There is risk/reward for either choice you make but to me drafting a rookie makes so much more sense for job security for coaches/GM's and allows a team to build up a very strong roster. And since we have been talking Cleveland most of their players are on rookie contracts as they had a ton of draft picks last year and this year. That gives them that 2-3 year window to build around this rookie QB and see them when they can reach their full potential.
The areas I disagree with are one they can't wait to develop a QB 2-3 years and hope he does develop. The other part is those high round rookies will be entering FA around the same time. Cleveland won't be able to retain them all. Starting that vicious cycle all over again. They're dammed if they do and dammed if they don't if they miss again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with what you have said but the caliber of QBs this year is Putrid. Next Year there might be 3 Franchise QB in the Draft. Would it not make more sense to Continue to Build the Team, and draft one of those QBs next year?

I think trying to get a QB this year will Hurt whatever team does. That said, if every team that needs a QB, waits for next year, then some team is going to get left behind for many more years...

Agreed. Which that is where this actually being one of hte better FA QB classes in a long time comes into play. You can find a decent place holder for a year if need be.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add a few not all trades though but most were backups that got better with their new team
Steve Young
Mark Brunell
Matt Hasselback
Rich Gannon
Trent Green
Matt Cassell sort of
Jake Delhomme
Matt Schaub
Steve Young wasnt a Back Up...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The areas I disagree with are one they can't wait to develop a QB 2-3 years and hope he does develop. The other part is those high round rookies will be entering FA around the same time. Cleveland won't be able to retain them all. Starting that vicious cycle all over again. They're dammed if they do and dammed if they don't if they miss again.

You typically can re-sign most of your key performers unless you wait until they are able to max out....see SEA. But, at some point you have to hit at the QB position if you're going to vecome a true contender...Wilson is the basic difference between the Seahawks and the Rams...one team hit at the QB position and the other didn't.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono: Actually he was................................To Montana!
Doesnt really work in this context because the Niners kept Young and dealt Montana.

When Young was traded to the Niners, he was traded from the worst team in the NFL. It would be literally the opposite of the Garappolo to the Browns.

Anyways, I guess I should be rooting for teams to be low on this QB class so a good one falls to the Chiefs.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt really work in this context because the Niners kept Young and dealt Montana.

When Young was traded to the Niners, he was traded from the worst team in the NFL. It would be literally the opposite of the Garappolo to the Browns.

Anyways, I guess I should be rooting for teams to be low on this QB class so a good one falls to the Chiefs.

You are not buying what Andy said over the weekend to NFL Network about Smith being their QB?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not buying what Andy said over the weekend to NFL Network about Smith being their QB?
Alex Smith is totally the Chiefs QB in 2017.

Thats as far as I would take the statement. Chiefs biggest need is Nose Tackle but there really isnt a 1st rounder.

I like Wormley as a DE as maybe a late 1st-early 2nd. Malik McDowell...eh...almost seems like a 4-3 DE. Solomon Thomas, with a big trade up,almost seems like an OLB in a 3-4. Not seeing any major run stoppers.

I think there are some other directions the Chiefs could go for sure but backup QB/QB of the future is a big spot that needs to be addressed. Tyler Bray doesnt fill me with a ton of hope.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OJ Howard's shine makes me sad he didn't get more opportunities last season. He's a great kid too.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You typically can re-sign most of your key performers unless you wait until they are able to max out....see SEA. But, at some point you have to hit at the QB position if you're going to vecome a true contender...Wilson is the basic difference between the Seahawks and the Rams...one team hit at the QB position and the other didn't.
Most teams don't have to resign so many top 10 picks. $ will become a factor along with the desire to get out of Cleveland.
With Seattle they hit on RW as well as a bunch of defenders. Seattle has started feeling the $ crunch. They've opted to pay what tgey felt were their key players, had to let others go. It's hurt their depth and their ability to pay for quality Olinemen. Seattle has also hit on WR with guys like Lockette and Richardson which has given them financial relief at tgat position. Seattle is also a destination players want to go to. Most want to stay. Not so much in Cleveland.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OJ Howard's shine makes me sad he didn't get more opportunities last season. He's a great kid too.
As far as I can tell, he had a major impact last year. He is probably the best blocking TE I've seen coming out of college since I've been following the draft and Alabama often ran their offense through those blocks.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can tell, he had a major impact last year. He is probably the best blocking TE I've seen coming out of college since I've been following the draft and Alabama often ran their offense through those blocks.
Blocking, yes...but TDs, he didn't have as much an impact. I'm not sure if that was just teams preparing more for him or some shortcoming on his part. Teams prepared for Amari Cooper too, but he was just that much better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams don't have to resign so many top 10 picks. $ will become a factor along with the desire to get out of Cleveland.
With Seattle they hit on RW as well as a bunch of defenders. Seattle has started feeling the $ crunch. They've opted to pay what tgey felt were their key players, had to let others go. It's hurt their depth and their ability to pay for quality Olinemen. Seattle has also hit on WR with guys like Lockette and Richardson which has given them financial relief at tgat position. Seattle is also a destination players want to go to. Most want to stay. Not so much in Cleveland.

SEA has tried to pay bigger money to FA WRs (Harvins) but they didn't really start getting into cap hell until they opened up the checkbook for RW in conjunction with those key DEF players they decided to keep.

At the end of the day, you can't have a very expensive DEF, QB and OFC weapons...but at least they got two 2 SB appearances for the effort, and they are still a viable team.

CLE...no, they're not going to be able to keep every top 10 pick, but if they continue to draft well and develop, they won't need to...the key for them is to start winning football games and the midlevel FAs that can help put them over the top will come.

I agree it's a vicious cycle, but they have no other choice but to keep trying to hit with a drafted QB.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEA has tried to pay bigger money to FA WRs (Harvins) but they didn't really start getting into cap hell until they opened up the checkbook for RW in conjunction with those key DEF players they decided to keep.

At the end of the day, you can't have a very expensive DEF, QB and OFC weapons...but at least they got two 2 SB appearances for the effort, and they are still a viable team.

CLE...no, they're not going to be able to keep every top 10 pick, but if they continue to draft well and develop, they won't need to...the key for them is to start winning football games and the midlevel FAs that can help put them over the top will come.

I agree it's a vicious cycle, but they have no other choice but to keep trying to hit with a drafted QB.
Fair enough we just have different draft strategies.
Mine is better though, lol

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalen Myrick from Minnesota just ran an unofficial 4.29! Damn!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough we just have different draft strategies.
Mine is better though, lol

I'm not sure what your draft strategy is, but if it's trading a 1st rd pick for Jimmy G...then you're right, we're different....lol

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody get to see JJ Watt brother TJ play at Whisky, is he any good?
A little smaller than big. Either. But he's also a lot faster. Great instincts and motor. He doesn't take a play off. He was a big piece in a top tier Wisconsin defense. Personally I think playing another year of college football would have done him good. Bit his ceiling is very high. He'll be an impact player on Sunday's

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich Eisen really comes off like a self centered idiot with this silly 40 time shit.