• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there no where to talk about the Combine or Draft on this site?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some one call a doctor for me. Harold and I agreed on something :suds:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a catch-22, though. Nobody trades young franchise QBs. If Garapollo is a franchise QB then the Patriots won't be trading him.

If he isnt a franchise QB then the Browns shouldnt want him.
No one knows for sure if he is or isn't? It's funny people throw the franchise QB phrase around too easily. How many franchise QBs are there in the league at any given time?
The difference with NE letting JG go is he's a FA next season. If TB plays just two or three years there is NO WAY they can afford both. NE would only get a comp pick for him (maybe depending other deals that cxl it out). Besides JG likely doesn't want to sit another few years. NE also has Jacoby Brissett who did well in limited action.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows for sure if he is or isn't?....NE also has Jacoby Brissett who did well in limited action.
You're basically saying all you need to know about the situation right there. He isnt worth a 1st rounder.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're basically saying all you need to know about the situation right there. He isnt worth a 1st rounder.
Well we can go back and forth on this. No pick is a sure thing. If a team is willing to use a 1st rounder on this group of QBs then I disagree with you. Jimmy G is as safer bet. We already discussed contracts.

Basically in this draft I'd trade a #12 for Jimmy G. You wouldn't :suds:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we can go back and forth on this. No pick is a sure thing. If a team is willing to use a 1st rounder on this group of QBs then I disagree with you. Jimmy G is as safer bet. We already discussed contracts.

It might be my bias as someone who has Alex Smith as a QB. Even if Jimmy G is decent, there is a ceiling on a team with a decent QB. You need a great QB or a great defense. Those are the only two ways to win.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How many times does a Team trade for a Back Up and then he becomes Better? I cannot think of one instance. I would bet every Back Up QB traded for a 1st round pick ended up a Bust.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some one call a doctor for me. Harold and I agreed on something :suds:

0112love.jpg

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be my bias as someone who has Alex Smith as a QB. Even if Jimmy G is decent, there is a ceiling on a team with a decent QB. You need a great QB or a great defense. Those are the only two ways to win.
I'll ask again how many great QBs are there? There is barely enough decent QBs. There just isn't 32 franchise QBs. The NFL is lucky tohave 10 really good QBs at any given time. Then you need to have a good cast of players around them or you team is still middle of the pack at best. JG with a supporting cast could get Cleveland into the bottom end of mid tier teams. Much better than tbe cellar dwellars they've been.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times does a Team trade for a Back Up and then he becomes Better? I cannot think of one instance. I would bet every Back Up QB traded for a 1st round pick ended up a Bust.
I'm not sure of any trades that turned out? I'm sure there were some? How many QBs drafted to be a starter have failed? It's a large number. Everyone wants a franchise QB and use that as a bench mark. There just aren't that many. Also you need to account for when players were drafted. If JG was in this group he would be drafted as a starter not a back up. Arguably he'd be the first QB off the board.
I'm not saying Jimmy is the next great QB. I'm just saying if a team is willing to use a first on any of the QBs in this draft I feel JG is a better option. I don't see any great QBs in this draft. JG is at least game ready day 1. The contract pros and cons have already been addressed.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but Jimmy would have to learn a new offense. Houston should be a prime example as to what might happen when you cough money on a still unproven player....

Jimmy would not have to "learn a new offense" in Cleveland.
Cleveland does not have an offense.......

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy still has a year left. So Cleveland isn't forced to pay him big $. They could tag him the following year if still in doubt. Easier for a NFL QB to pick up a new offense as opposed to a rookie.

If the Browns trade for Gropp, they would give him an extension right off the bat. Tagging him and giving him top 5 QB money would be insane for being judged off of one full season.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brett Favre to Green Bay.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns trade for Gropp, they would give him an extension right off the bat. Tagging him and giving him top 5 QB money would be insane for being judged off of one full season.
More than likely you're correct. But seeing what happened last year with Oz some teams may be skeptical? It's just another option. They could also sign him during the 2017 season to an extension if they like what they see?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So over 20 years ago, and a situation where he was Drafted Against the Wishes of the Head Coach and traded less than a year after being drafted.

Also he was not the Starter in GB after the trade. It was the Bucs who made him a Starter...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows for sure if he is or isn't? It's funny people throw the franchise QB phrase around too easily. How many franchise QBs are there in the league at any given time?
The difference with NE letting JG go is he's a FA next season. If TB plays just two or three years there is NO WAY they can afford both. NE would only get a comp pick for him (maybe depending other deals that cxl it out). Besides JG likely doesn't want to sit another few years. NE also has Jacoby Brissett who did well in limited action.

See that is the thing though is that with a QB on the 5-year rookie contract it allows a team to have a mediocre QB yet still build a championship roster around them. You don't get that opportunity with JG. It is 1 year then huge contract or realize he is a bust.

There is risk/reward for either choice you make but to me drafting a rookie makes so much more sense for job security for coaches/GM's and allows a team to build up a very strong roster. And since we have been talking Cleveland most of their players are on rookie contracts as they had a ton of draft picks last year and this year. That gives them that 2-3 year window to build around this rookie QB and see them when they can reach their full potential.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that is the thing though is that with a QB on the 5-year rookie contract it allows a team to have a mediocre QB yet still build a championship roster around them. You don't get that opportunity with JG. It is 1 year then huge contract or realize he is a bust.

There is risk/reward for either choice you make but to me drafting a rookie makes so much more sense for job security for coaches/GM's and allows a team to build up a very strong roster. And since we have been talking Cleveland most of their players are on rookie contracts as they had a ton of draft picks last year and this year. That gives them that 2-3 year window to build around this rookie QB and see them when they can reach their full potential.
I agree with what you have said but the caliber of QBs this year is Putrid. Next Year there might be 3 Franchise QB in the Draft. Would it not make more sense to Continue to Build the Team, and draft one of those QBs next year?

I think trying to get a QB this year will Hurt whatever team does. That said, if every team that needs a QB, waits for next year, then some team is going to get left behind for many more years...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll add a few not all trades though but most were backups that got better with their new team
Steve Young
Mark Brunell
Matt Hasselback
Rich Gannon
Trent Green
Matt Cassell sort of
Jake Delhomme
Matt Schaub

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just saw this Solomon Thomas kid has the same measurables essentially as Justin houston. Shaken I haven't seen him much.

He's a beast high floor and ceiling, he's getting overlooked by some, but he's every bit as good as Myles Garrett and Jonathan Allen