• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting thought on paying players

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Disney radio on my way home yesterday, and they were talking about Jim Delaney's insanely idiotic idea...one caller had a pretty interesting idea.

If a kid coming in to college to play wants to make money off his name and likeness, tell them, okay, you can do that, but you can't be on scholarship, you have to get financial aid, and hope the money you make off autographs and selling your likeness, make you enough to pay for school, or hope that you do go on the NFL and can pay off your student loans

thoughts?

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's to stop a rich booster from paying a million dollars for an autograph?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree, said that earlier this week on the board. These kids would be ridiculously dumb if they didn't take the scholarship. For every Johnny Football, there is a Jimmy Clausen, Rob Bolden, Jeff Driskell and so on. Just as an example take Driskell, the number 1 QB coming out a couple years ago, I bet you his mindset would have been that he can make a ton of money based on his college career. Well guess what, he'd probably be a 100k in the hole right now. Players think way to much of themselves these days. I mean really, Georgia Tech and Northwestern players are taking on the APU stance? Nobody from those schools has the opportunity to make any money off their likeness.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people want to pay players(which I am adamantly against) they should start by guaranteeing their scholarship for 4 years and not year to year(this should be done anyways). Allow them to work jobs during the summer(legitimate jobs). That is going to be difficult due to camps and the such, but it can be done. If they are worried about having spending money then they can do that through part time jobs. Their food, clothing, room and board, tuition, and books are all covered already. Not to mention all of the coaching, training, and so on. What more do they need?

Now if the athlete decides after 3 years to leave for the NFL they MUST reimburse the school for the cost of their tuition, books, room and board. People would like the schools to be held accountable that is fine, but the athlete also needs to held accountable. YOu take a 4 yr scholarship then you must complete the 4 yrs. If you decide to leave early and make money then pay back to the school.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people want to pay players(which I am adamantly against) they should start by guaranteeing their scholarship for 4 years and not year to year(this should be done anyways). Allow them to work jobs during the summer(legitimate jobs). That is going to be difficult due to camps and the such, but it can be done. If they are worried about having spending money then they can do that through part time jobs. Their food, clothing, room and board, tuition, and books are all covered already. Not to mention all of the coaching, training, and so on. What more do they need?

Now if the athlete decides after 3 years to leave for the NFL they MUST reimburse the school for the cost of their tuition, books, room and board. People would like the schools to be held accountable that is fine, but the athlete also needs to held accountable. YOu take a 4 yr scholarship then you must complete the 4 yrs. If you decide to leave early and make money then pay back to the school.

i'm on your side really...just providing a different opinion that I hadn't heard before yesterday.

IMO, the students athletes on scholarship get paid a hell of a lot, just not in a cash-money form

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to Disney radio on my way home yesterday, and they were talking about Jim Delaney's insanely idiotic idea...one caller had a pretty interesting idea.

If a kid coming in to college to play wants to make money off his name and likeness, tell them, okay, you can do that, but you can't be on scholarship, you have to get financial aid, and hope the money you make off autographs and selling your likeness, make you enough to pay for school, or hope that you do go on the NFL and can pay off your student loans

thoughts?
Idiotic? His idea is great. There are so many that agree with him.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good idea, but like a previous poster said, what's to stop a booster from paying a million dollars for the kid's autograph? Now, I know there isn't a booster out there that would do that, but that booster could easily dish out $30K-$50K to the player for his autograph.

So overall, I like DeLaney's idea. They want to get paid, no problem, but you no longer receive free room, board and tuition, plus, the schools should also make the players pay for their own flights, hotel rooms and food, as well as all the free clothes they get. Take it all away and then these fuckers will realize just how well they really do have it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiotic? His idea is great. There are so many that agree with him.

"Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks. If they're not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness and establish it on your own. But don't come here and say, 'We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000.' Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don't ask us what we've been doing."

"You don't have to play for the Redskins or the Bears at 17, but you could develop IMG. My gosh, there are lots of trainers out there. There are quarterback coaches teaching passing skills, guys lifting weights, guys training and running. They can get as strong and as fast in that environment as they can in this environment. Plus, they don't have to go to school. Plus, they can sell their likeness and do whatever they want to do. We don't want to do that. What we want to do is do what we've been doing for 100 years."

how can anyone say that is a great idea??

Delaney is essentially saying that training at IMG, is equivalent to developing as a football player at a Big 10 school, getting game reps, honing skills, and developing as a person

Dear Jim Delaney
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0]Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon)[Forum Weapon][How To Troll][Ignorance Is Bliss] - YouTube[/ame]

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with him that college sports should retain their amateurism, BUT setting up a NFL minor league to let kids enter straight into nfl is stupid

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
copy & paste please so I don't have to click:D

"Fuck them playas. They ain't da ones who create da money. You could kick evry one off da team and replace 'em wit noobies and da fans still be pull fo they team and buy jerseys and tickets and shit. Da skool anda NCAA done created a opportunity fo these bitches, and da bitches should be thankful fo da chance to make a million in da pros. Fuck they whiny asses."

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the pro leagues actually helping in the prepetuation of this stupidness. Just allow them to go to the NFL or NBA straight out of HS. Those who choose college need three years in school before being eligible for the draft. That way, those who don't want to go to school no longer have to put up an act...especially in college basketball. The student-athlete term in a joke in hoops.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,251.51
Fav. Team #1
A college scholarship is worth a million dollars more in future earnings. We should leave their pay at that.

When you start paying players ever increasing stipends, will they ever be satisfied? Who is ignorant enough to believe that a player will say, "I'm not going to take this money from an agent because I receive," "a $10,000 stipend," "a $50,000 stipend," "a $100,000 stipend," and so on...?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, when you start paying players. What you pay them will never be enough. Don't forget the ugly 900 pound gorilla in the room, fucking Title IX! If you pay football players $100,000 per year, then you are forced by gooberment to pay female players $100,000, although the ticket revenue for the entire season of female events may be lower than $100,000.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the pro leagues actually helping in the prepetuation of this stupidness. Just allow them to go to the NFL or NBA straight out of HS. Those who choose college need three years in school before being eligible for the draft. That way, those who don't want to go to school no longer have to put up an act...especially in college basketball. The student-athlete term in a joke in hoops.

you're going to see a heck of a lot of serious injuries with 17 and 18 year old kids, not fully developed, weighing in at a buck seventy heading straight to the NFL

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A college scholarship is worth a million dollars more in future earnings. We should leave their pay at that.

When you start paying players ever increasing stipends, will they ever be satisfied? Who is ignorant enough to believe that a player will say, "I'm not going to take this money from an agent because I receive," "a $10,000 stipend," "a $50,000 stipend," "a $100,000 stipend," and so on...?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, when you start paying players. What you pay them will never be enough. Don't forget the ugly 900 pound gorilla in the room, fucking Title IX! If you pay football players $100,000 per year, then you are forced by gooberment to pay female players $100,000, although the ticket revenue for the entire season of female events may be lower than $100,000.

Right here, well said ^^^^ Enough will never be enough. Once you start paying them, they will want more. Plus, the athletes from the 'Hood are going to want even more once their single moms with about 5 other kids from 5 different dads start chiming in. this will be a major cluster fuck. Also, if you pay the football players, be ready to pay the other athletes that play basketball, lacrosse, soccer, swim and diving, etc......Only a few schools can afford to do that. There is no need to pay these spoiled athletes. THEY LIVE LIKE KINGS, DON'T BELIEVE THE FUCKING HYPE!!!!!!!