• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting thought on paying players

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're going to see a heck of a lot of serious injuries with 17 and 18 year old kids, not fully developed, weighing in at a buck seventy heading straight to the NFL

Oh well then, tough shit. That's the life they chose, too bad.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well then, tough shit. That's the life they chose, too bad.

lol, the way the rules have been changing every year in the NFL because of injuries, you think they would open it up and let these tykes coming and line up against grown men at the peak of their physicality and get their blocks knocked off over and over again?

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A college scholarship is worth a million dollars more in future earnings. We should leave their pay at that.

When you start paying players ever increasing stipends, will they ever be satisfied? Who is ignorant enough to believe that a player will say, "I'm not going to take this money from an agent because I receive," "a $10,000 stipend," "a $50,000 stipend," "a $100,000 stipend," and so on...?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, when you start paying players. What you pay them will never be enough. Don't forget the ugly 900 pound gorilla in the room, fucking Title IX! If you pay football players $100,000 per year, then you are forced by gooberment to pay female players $100,000, although the ticket revenue for the entire season of female events may be lower than $100,000.

I'm not going to lie. If someone offered me me extra money (on top of a stipend) because I'm good at something, I'll probably take it

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to lie. If someone offered me me extra money (on top of a stipend) because I'm good at something, I'll probably take it

well, yeah, that's how SoCal rolls! :D

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the great social commentator Kanye West says in the great song "Two Word" -

I live by two word "F-U, pay me"

Kanye West says that now? man, can't rappers come up with anything original?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the great social commentator Kanye West says in the great song "Two Word" -

I live by two word "F-U, pay me"

Kanye West is an idiot, "fuck you pay me" is four words.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A college scholarship is worth a million dollars more in future earnings. We should leave their pay at that.

When you start paying players ever increasing stipends, will they ever be satisfied? Who is ignorant enough to believe that a player will say, "I'm not going to take this money from an agent because I receive," "a $10,000 stipend," "a $50,000 stipend," "a $100,000 stipend," and so on...?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel, when you start paying players. What you pay them will never be enough. Don't forget the ugly 900 pound gorilla in the room, fucking Title IX! If you pay football players $100,000 per year, then you are forced by gooberment to pay female players $100,000, although the ticket revenue for the entire season of female events may be lower than $100,000.

It's nobody's fault but the player's when they don't take advantage of a free education. Players already receive stipends, free education, a roof over their head, clothes, and free food which is far more than what your typical student who doesn't play football gets. Even at a state school that value has to average at least 40,000 per year which is more than they would likely make working full time without going to school as a 18-22 year old without a degree.

If they feel like they don't have enough walking around money maybe they need to get a job on the off season or think about getting a loan like everyone else.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nobody's fault but the player's when they don't take advantage of a free education. Players already receive stipends, free education, a roof over their head, clothes, and free food which is far more than what your typical student who doesn't play football gets. Even at a state school that value has to average at least 40,000 per year which is more than they would likely make working full time without going to school as a 18-22 year old without a degree.

If they feel like they don't have enough walking around money maybe they need to get a job on the off season or think about getting a loan like everyone else.

:agree:

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're going to see a heck of a lot of serious injuries with 17 and 18 year old kids, not fully developed, weighing in at a buck seventy heading straight to the NFL

Not really. As some guys mentioned before the vast majority would and should be put into a minor league system. NFL Europe was good at developing players not ready for NFL action. Their minds are even more woefully unprepared for the NFL.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. As some guys mentioned before the vast majority would and should be put into a minor league system. NFL Europe was good at developing players not ready for NFL action. Their minds are even more woefully unprepared for the NFL.

well if any college AD or league commissioner is advocating this, they are a complete and total moron....

"Hey how about I suggest a NFL minor league...that way all the major talent coming out of high school goes there, instead of coming to our institutions..."

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an interesting thought on paying players. FUCK NO!! I'm tired of all the whining about it, and I'm tired of all the whining about the NCAA. Is the NCAA perfect? Hell no, it's not. But, no system will ever be perfect when you have people that are trying to circumvent, and abuse, that system, day in and day out. As soon as you change the rules, in order to please SOME of the people, the new rules will be the target of abuse.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just heard that my editor got an email from MSNBC's "All In With Chris Hayes" show this afternoon. Seems they saw my column (link posted on the first page of this thread) and wanted to have me on the show tonight to talk about paying players.
Unfortunately the editor was out of the office and didn't see the message until an hour ago, so I doubt I'll be getting the call at this point (show airs at 8pm EST).
Still, it's cool that they were probably on the SportsHoopla looking for viewpoints. I doubt they could have found it otherwise.