• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting metrics on the 5 remaining undefeated teams

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting stuff...

FIVE UNDEFEATEDS: There are five NFL teams that remain undefeated through Week 6: New England (5-0), Denver (6-0), Green Bay (6-0), Cincinnati (6-0), and Carolina (5-0). It is the most going into Week 7 since the merger in 1970.

The Patriots’ margin of victory is the highest among the group (16), while the Broncos’ is the lowest (6.2). Here is a look at a few stat categories to compare the teams:

■ Points per game: Patriots (36.6), Bengals (30.3), Packers (27.3), Panthers (27.0), Broncos (23.2)

■ Rushing yards per game: Panthers (132.8), Packers (127.3), Bengals (122.2), Patriots (97.2), Broncos (85.0)

■ Quarterback ratings/TD/INT: Tom Brady (118.4/14/1), Andy Dalton (116.1/14/2), Aaron Rodgers (115.9/15/2), Cam Newton (83.2/8/4), Peyton Manning (72.5/7/10).

■ Turnover margin: Broncos (+6), Panthers (+6), Packers (+6), Patriots (+4), Bengals (+3).

Let this sink in: Manning leads the league in interceptions with 10. The Broncos have fumbled twice, losing one. Denver still has a plus-6 turnover margin, tied for first in the league. The defense has forced 17 turnovers in six games: nine picks and eight fumble recoveries.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discuss, if necessary

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think defenses that rely heavily on turnovers are bound to suffer in the playoffs. It's not realistic to expect 2 turnovers a game, or more, from any defense.

Now, that's not to take away anything from other parts of their defense which have also been very good. But, when you consider the close games they've won, it wouldn't be surprising to see them lose more of those games down the stretch as that stat starts to even out just a bit. Of course, you can also assume that Manning won't throw an average of 2 INT's a game, either.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think defenses that rely heavily on turnovers are bound to suffer in the playoffs. It's not realistic to expect 2 turnovers a game, or more, from any defense.

Now, that's not to take away anything from other parts of their defense which have also been very good. But, when you consider the close games they've won, it wouldn't be surprising to see them lose more of those games down the stretch as that stat starts to even out just a bit. Of course, you can also assume that Manning won't throw an average of 2 INT's a game, either.

I disagree. Teams with a good turnover differential typically do very well in the playoffs.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Generally what you want in the playoffs is a good run game and a good defense.

Reactions: GNG

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most amazing stat on the 5 undefeateds is that they have zero losses.

That's right. Zero.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Teams with a good turnover differential typically do very well in the playoffs.
My point was more to the fact that if your defense relies heavily on turnovers, in a 1 game situation, and they don't generate turnovers, things can go south in a hurry if they are not an otherwise decent unit. If the defense isn't stopping the other team other than producing turnovers, sans turnovers, would mean giving up a fair amount of points.

As I stated, the Broncos still have a good defense without the turnovers. They have the 4th best total defense. They are 2nd in yards allowed and 4th in points. The rate at which they force turnovers is bound to slow, but it shouldn't affect the defense too much.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do I have to root for a Pats loss to stop seeing all these threads???

Then we will know more about the one-loss teams then you'd ever want to know.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think in the playoffs you run into teams that don't necessarily cough it up frequently.

So they become harder to come by and if you are living off them as Denver is it can bite you when you don't get as many.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver is living a charmed life. Peyton has suck-diddly-ucked and he's eventually going to cost them a game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that is the part people are forgetting is that Manning is throwing just as many interceptions as we have been getting. When you throw in he has what now 3 or 4 pick 6's on the season that has put the defense in a huge hole and the team in general. If the Broncos clean up the turnovers that they are doing then they should be fine if the turnovers on the defensive side of the ball begin to drop. I agree can't fully rely on turnovers to be a part of the game but it is also a part of what this defense is about in forcing pressure and forcing teams into making mistakes. They are an aggressive style of defense that could get burned come playoff time or they could completely shut an offense down causing a QB to get frustrated and make those game changing plays.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is the part people are forgetting is that Manning is throwing just as many interceptions as we have been getting. When you throw in he has what now 3 or 4 pick 6's on the season that has put the defense in a huge hole and the team in general. If the Broncos clean up the turnovers that they are doing then they should be fine if the turnovers on the defensive side of the ball begin to drop. I agree can't fully rely on turnovers to be a part of the game but it is also a part of what this defense is about in forcing pressure and forcing teams into making mistakes. They are an aggressive style of defense that could get burned come playoff time or they could completely shut an offense down causing a QB to get frustrated and make those game changing plays.

cdumler, do you think the great defensive play is actually hurting Manning? As in, he's taking way more risks than usual, believing that they won't be as costly?