• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting metrics on the 5 remaining undefeated teams

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cdumler, do you think the great defensive play is actually hurting Manning? As in, he's taking way more risks than usual, believing that they won't be as costly?

I don't. I think Manning has 2 major problems right now. 1) New offensive system where they are trying to blend both Kubiak and Manning and unfortunately it is really struggling. I will say other than the 3 interceptions though they did run for over 150 yards averaging 4.6 yards per carry and have 2 WR's with over 100 yards so it is getting a little closer but the interceptions are just bad decisions for the most part. 2) I do think his arm is giving him some fits with consistency. I think for the most part he has the same zip he has had the last 2 years. The problem is he can look good for about 5 passes in a row then just completely lose it so I think the nerve is just giving him more fits than the last 2 years leading to some really bad throws that are compounded when he makes a bad decision.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cdumler, do you think the great defensive play is actually hurting Manning? As in, he's taking way more risks than usual, believing that they won't be as costly?
I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think it's a combination of deteriorating skills and a poor fit for Kubiak's offense.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think it's a combination of deteriorating skills and a poor fit for Kubiak's offense.

With Manning it's sort of like he sidled up to a big crevasse slowly and then fell in. His game (arm?) has dropped off so markedly.

Not quite sure why they wanted Kubiak anyway, other than maybe some form of payback for giving Elway such good "clipboard" for his entire career. Always used to think he had one of the better jobs in the NFL, no need to play but getting paid to watch.

I think Manning might be a better coach than Kubiak when his time comes to hang them up.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Manning it's sort of like he sidled up to a big crevasse slowly and then fell in. His game (arm?) has dropped off so markedly.

Not quite sure why they wanted Kubiak anyway, other than maybe some form of payback for giving Elway such good "clipboard" for his entire career. Always used to think he had one of the better jobs in the NFL, no need to play but getting paid to watch.

I think Manning might be a better coach than Kubiak when his time comes to hang them up.

Pretty sure all of us in Denver are happy with the Kubiak hire. I think he has done a great job of 1) Getting a great coaching staff together and 2) Giving this team a very physical identity that hasn't been there under our last coach. I think Kubiak also is a better hire for after Manning as I do think his offense has proven over and over to be one that can bring about great success. It hasn't shown obviously this year so far but there are a ton of new moving parts with a whole new OL and Manning struggling like he is.

Why are you not a Kubiak fan? Everywhere he has gone he has had success either as a player, coordinator, and even as a HC he took a very bad Houston team and made them a playoff team.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you not a Kubiak fan? Everywhere he has gone he has had success either as a player, coordinator, and even as a HC he took a very bad Houston team and made them a playoff team.

I dunno. There are just some coaches I don't like. I'd probably lean more to Wade Phillips for the defensive surge, Wade knows defense..

And not to be difficult but he never really had a playing career, drafted same year as Elway, Elway has hissy fit and wants to play baseball instead of go to Indy, etc.... Traded to Denver and Kubiak becomes career understudy.

I know you know this. Just trying to explain myself...

I also know he never won anything big in Houston and like as not it may be the same song in Denver.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. I think Manning has 2 major problems right now. 1) New offensive system where they are trying to blend both Kubiak and Manning and unfortunately it is really struggling. I will say other than the 3 interceptions though they did run for over 150 yards averaging 4.6 yards per carry and have 2 WR's with over 100 yards so it is getting a little closer but the interceptions are just bad decisions for the most part. 2) I do think his arm is giving him some fits with consistency. I think for the most part he has the same zip he has had the last 2 years. The problem is he can look good for about 5 passes in a row then just completely lose it so I think the nerve is just giving him more fits than the last 2 years leading to some really bad throws that are compounded when he makes a bad decision.

is Kubiak still hitler with Peyton or is he letting Peyton call more of the game?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. There are just some coaches I don't like. I'd probably lean more to Wade Phillips for the defensive surge, Wade knows defense..

And not to be difficult but he never really had a playing career, drafted same year as Elway, Elway has hissy fit and wants to play baseball instead of go to Indy, etc.... Traded to Denver and Kubiak becomes career understudy.

I know you know this. Just trying to explain myself...

I also know he never won anything big in Houston and like as not it may be the same song in Denver.

He took over a terrible Houston team considered one of the least talented teams in the league. Slowly brought them into becoming one of the more talented teams in the league before the last year collapse where he was having some major health problems. When you throw in the fact that Matt Shaub of all people was a Pro Bowl QB under him I guess I just like what he brings to the table on the offensive side of the ball.

Maybe you are right about him but right now his team is 6-0 and has grinded out some tough wins. Over the past couple of years it seemed like the Broncos only won when Manning had a great game. They also seemed to win blow outs but struggled in the close games. I guess to me I like this team much better with how they are standing up both sides of the ball when the game matters most. The offense has done well in the final 2 minutes of halves as well as the defense making those game changing plays. That hasn't happened. To me that is a reflection of the new coaching staff coming in. The players have talked about this a lot all off season and now into the season of this mentality came from especially Kubiak.

A great example is the Cleveland game on Sunday. Manning just threw a pick-6 that looked like it was going to be tough for the Broncos with how the offense was struggling to come back. Kubiak grabbed the head phones and radioed into the offense that it was time to step up and be aggressive. He then called the play where Sanders went on the 9-route for the 75 yard touchdown. He has this team believing that even after a mistake they can come back and do something great. Again something the Broncos didn't have the past 3 years.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure all of us in Denver are happy with the Kubiak hire. I think he has done a great job of 1) Getting a great coaching staff together and 2) Giving this team a very physical identity that hasn't been there under our last coach. I think Kubiak also is a better hire for after Manning as I do think his offense has proven over and over to be one that can bring about great success. It hasn't shown obviously this year so far but there are a ton of new moving parts with a whole new OL and Manning struggling like he is.

weak schedules, Wade Phillips running the D, and Foster running like crazy is what got them the playoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is Kubiak still hitler with Peyton or is he letting Peyton call more of the game?

Oh I think it is a mix of the two. Manning has said in the past that his coordinator still calls something like 85% of the plays. Yes he has the ability to change the play but usually he keeps the play that is called and goes the line to confuse the defense and get all of his players on the same page to be seeing what he is seeing. It is still the coaches though calling the plays.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weak schedules, Wade Phillips running the D, and Foster running like crazy is what got them the playoffs.

Maybe you are right. Again I am a big Kubiak fan and I think everybody in Denver is very happy with the job he has done with this team. Most coaches it isn't until that 2nd or 3rd job that they really blossom as a coach. I think with the connection between Elway and Kubiak they both know what the other wants in a team and they are working really well together. Can't underestimate the power of the FO and Coaches all being on the same page.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took over a terrible Houston team considered one of the least talented teams in the league. Slowly brought them into becoming one of the more talented teams in the league before the last year collapse where he was having some major health problems. When you throw in the fact that Matt Shaub of all people was a Pro Bowl QB under him I guess I just like what he brings to the table on the offensive side of the ball.

Maybe you are right about him but right now his team is 6-0 and has grinded out some tough wins. Over the past couple of years it seemed like the Broncos only won when Manning had a great game. They also seemed to win blow outs but struggled in the close games. I guess to me I like this team much better with how they are standing up both sides of the ball when the game matters most. The offense has done well in the final 2 minutes of halves as well as the defense making those game changing plays. That hasn't happened. To me that is a reflection of the new coaching staff coming in. The players have talked about this a lot all off season and now into the season of this mentality came from especially Kubiak.

A great example is the Cleveland game on Sunday. Manning just threw a pick-6 that looked like it was going to be tough for the Broncos with how the offense was struggling to come back. Kubiak grabbed the head phones and radioed into the offense that it was time to step up and be aggressive. He then called the play where Sanders went on the 9-route for the 75 yard touchdown. He has this team believing that even after a mistake they can come back and do something great. Again something the Broncos didn't have the past 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, Denver has played well enough and with grit.

But winning by defense alone (which is sort of what they've done) is hard to continue.

I thought the Browns had them yesterday. A very good game to watch. And your boys prevailed.

I've never been a Denver fan and I suppose it has something to do with how I feel. I just think back to gimpy kneed Craig Morton and get all misty eyed.... He was the funniest looking QB when he moved right up until Bernie Kosar came into the league and took the title....

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you are right. Again I am a big Kubiak fan and I think everybody in Denver is very happy with the job he has done with this team. Most coaches it isn't until that 2nd or 3rd job that they really blossom as a coach. I think with the connection between Elway and Kubiak they both know what the other wants in a team and they are working really well together. Can't underestimate the power of the FO and Coaches all being on the same page.

great guy..he just doesn't get much credit here in Houston

the full page ad he took out in the paper day after he got canned was pure class.

I hope he does well there

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, Denver has played well enough and with grit.

But winning by defense alone (which is sort of what they've done) is hard to continue.

I thought the Browns had them yesterday. A very good game to watch. And your boys prevailed.

I've never been a Denver fan and I suppose it has something to do with how I feel. I just think back to gimpy kneed Craig Morton and get all misty eyed.... He was the funniest looking QB when he moved right up until Bernie Kosar came into the league and took the title....

Oh I agree they can't continue with how they are playing and expect to especially compete for a Super Bowl. The playoffs are very much in play even if they continue like they are because they play in a division that has fallen way back giving the Broncos a nice cushion but Super Bowl which is what they want the offense has to figure something that can work to be at least average.

Also you are forgetting one part of the game. The Broncos so far have had one of the better special teams units in the league which has been huge. They have a kicker that has only missed once even though he has had something like 6 tries from beyond 50 yards. The coverage units have been very good so far as well. So right now the Broncos are winning because they are winning 2 of the 3 main parts of a team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great guy..he just doesn't get much credit here in Houston

the full page ad he took out in the paper day after he got canned was pure class.

I hope he does well there

He is a very classy guy and it is why so many of his previous players love to come to practices in the off season. Right now it is a wait and see what he can do. I loved the hire for a few reasons though in that 1) I do think his offense can do well in Denver as it has in the past. I also think that Osweiler fits his system really well with the big strong armed QB that can move around and make some plays. 2) As I said earlier the connection with Elway will be huge. Elway and Fox did not see eye to eye and had some major throw downs about the team. 3) Kubiak has done well to bring about a different attitude and atmosphere to the team. They are playing with a lot more energy and confidence this year than they have any year under Fox.

Again no idea how this will all work out but so far so good.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree they can't continue with how they are playing and expect to especially compete for a Super Bowl. The playoffs are very much in play even if they continue like they are because they play in a division that has fallen way back giving the Broncos a nice cushion but Super Bowl which is what they want the offense has to figure something that can work to be at least average.

Also you are forgetting one part of the game. The Broncos so far have had one of the better special teams units in the league which has been huge. They have a kicker that has only missed once even though he has had something like 6 tries from beyond 50 yards. The coverage units have been very good so far as well. So right now the Broncos are winning because they are winning 2 of the 3 main parts of a team.

Kicking in Mile High always adds "leg" to a kicker.

But he does have to be accurate.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicking in Mile High always adds "leg" to a kicker.

But he does have to be accurate.
Not all these kicks are happening in Denver. Heck 4 of the Broncos first 6 games have actually been on the road.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all these kicks are happening in Denver. Heck 4 of the Broncos first 6 games have actually been on the road.

I know, I've watched them all.

Just saying....

Prater and Elam.... Mile High.

Dempsey and Akers, elsewhere.

I wished Janikowski had done it from over 70 that one time (75?). Can't recall where he tries it though.