• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2018 season

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they would just cut out the weird ass play calls in the red zone I really wouldn't have any issue with play calling. They move the ball, game plans in general seem fine, they do their thing, stay balanced, work in play action after actually setting it up. But then they get inside the 20 and like clockwork they set up in that fucking wildcat formation and waste a play. Then they're in 2nd and 3rds and longs and promising drives just sputter out.

I still have hope for Hamdan, he definitely hasn't been all bad, the offense hasn't been totally incompetent, they're averaging 442 yards a game which is 42nd in the FBS (and I went through and looked at each game, that's not inflated by the FCS game or anything). They are 21st in total offense (keep in mind they do have an extra game on most teams because this is the Pac 12 and we get a week 11 bye). They just need to convert that into some more points and quit shitting on themselves inside the 30 yard line.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they would just cut out the weird ass play calls in the red zone I really wouldn't have any issue with play calling. They move the ball, game plans in general seem fine, they do their thing, stay balanced, work in play action after actually setting it up. But then they get inside the 20 and like clockwork they set up in that fucking wildcat formation and waste a play. Then they're in 2nd and 3rds and longs and promising drives just sputter out.

I still have hope for Hamdan, he definitely hasn't been all bad, the offense hasn't been totally incompetent, they're averaging 442 yards a game which is 42nd in the FBS (and I went through and looked at each game, that's not inflated by the FCS game or anything). They are 21st in total offense (keep in mind they do have an extra game on most teams because this is the Pac 12 and we get a week 11 bye). They just need to convert that into some more points and quit shitting on themselves inside the 30 yard line.
My biggest problem (outside of the wildcat bullshit) with the offense is the seeming lack of adjustments in game. D blitzing you? They keep doing the same thing. They do not appear to be able to suck the D in and exploit the whole left. There are so many ways to adjust and game after game they seem to mostly stick with their original game plan and if they adjust at all, it just feels relatively minor.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9th season in a row were going bowling. Always a great feeling to be sitting at 6 wins while still in Oct.

Rose bowl / Fiesta is still possible.

Will be great if we take care of business and win the north and pac champ game this year.
We end up playing Utah at Levis, got to love of chances with how we manhandled them at their house in Sept.

And signif event in big10 this weekend with the tOSU loss. That could knock them out of the playoffs and they could end up in the Rose if Mich ends up on tops. Yikes.....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North is as tight of a race as I can remember. 3 one loss teams and one two loss team that needs help, but isn't entirely out of it.

WSU has a slight edge IMO. UW has Stanford at home and WSU on the road. Cougs would seem to be the more dangerous of the two. Cougs go to Stanford, but have UW at home.

Of course timing matters. UW has the latest bye I can remember, followed by the beavs and end at the AC. They get Cal this week before that Stanford game and the bye. Obviously it would have been better to have Stanford after the bye. That seemed to help the ducks and cougs having tougher games following one, but no, we get screwed.

The offense is just too inconsistent to have any type of confidence in running that table. And we need to knock it off with injuries.

But yes, it's all out there in front of us. Win out and you are in the CCG.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently the Stanford game will be at either 6:00pm or 7:45pm lmao...

Not even sure if I want to buy tickets if it's going to be that late. Uber cost home would be fucking insane.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North is as tight of a race as I can remember. 3 one loss teams and one two loss team that needs help, but isn't entirely out of it.

WSU has a slight edge IMO. UW has Stanford at home and WSU on the road. Cougs would seem to be the more dangerous of the two. Cougs go to Stanford, but have UW at home.

Of course timing matters. UW has the latest bye I can remember, followed by the beavs and end at the AC. They get Cal this week before that Stanford game and the bye. Obviously it would have been better to have Stanford after the bye. That seemed to help the ducks and cougs having tougher games following one, but no, we get screwed.

The offense is just too inconsistent to have any type of confidence in running that table. And we need to knock it off with injuries.

But yes, it's all out there in front of us. Win out and you are in the CCG.

Luckily for the Huskies I think that the Cougs are a team we match up quite well against as we have in the past.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for the Huskies I think that the Cougs are a team we match up quite well against as we have in the past.
I agree, but this team this year has came out flat way too many times and underperformed on offense unlike any other Petersen team and it's in Pullman.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of metrics to compare and plenty where UW is near the middle of the road. Still, in a conference that is overall down this year they still rank near the top in even some key offensive stats, more or less still doing enough on defense.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an unrelated note, to those that haven't paid much attention to round ball...
UW is entering the season ranked for the first time in 8 years (25th). They just beat the #7 team (Nevada) on their home court in an exhibition game 91-73 in a game they played less than perfect ball.

Hopkins fairly quickly turning things around.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington Huskies

DqIS0_CWkAA3N2I.jpg

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've been talking about this all season, but just another reminder.
Wait, you mean the Wildcat hasn't been working nearly as well as we thought? :noidea:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow if true. There is chatter that TE Hunter Bryant might be ready to play for the Stanford game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow if true. There is chatter that TE Hunter Bryant might be ready to play for the Stanford game.
Well Petersen was asked about it and he gave one of his general answers that could mean he might be maybe ready.

The plan at the time was to see if he could come in before the end of the season some time at, or after the Cal game as he has 4 games to play and still retain his red shirt.

He is a true sophomore and played in 8 games as a true freshman.

I'm not sure, but I would suspect those 4 games also could include post season. Joining for the Stanford game would make him still available for the beaver and cougar games as well as the CCG. Would be awesome if they let him play against Stanford, had him sit out vs Oregon State, and then let him ride out the apple cup, CCG, and bowl game.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Petersen was asked about it and he gave one of his general answers that could mean he might be maybe ready.

The plan at the time was to see if he could come in before the end of the season some time at, or after the Cal game as he has 4 games to play and still retain his red shirt.

He is a true sophomore and played in 8 games as a true freshman.

I'm not sure, but I would suspect those 4 games also could include post season. Joining for the Stanford game would make him still available for the beaver and cougar games as well as the CCG. Would be awesome if they let him play against Stanford, had him sit out vs Oregon State, and then let him ride out the apple cup, CCG, and bowl game.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently the Stanford game will be at either 6:00pm or 7:45pm lmao...

Not even sure if I want to buy tickets if it's going to be that late. Uber cost home would be fucking insane.

Looks like i'll be putting in some OT on that night

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I know, but!

It's three months old with Bush, I think he needs the rest of the year to figure this out....

Jimmy on the other hand, Im questioning
Why are you questioning Jimmy? It's not like coach K isn't still there planning and scheming the same as before so it comes down to in game calls as the only real change. The D hasn't been as robust, but they are for SURE feeling the loss of Vea on that line.
2018 FEI RATINGS, DEFENSE | Football Outsiders
There's a lot to look at in defensive stats, but one major glaring thing different this year is lack of turnovers when compared to prior years. They are ranked 83'rd in that category. They are also allowing less 3 and outs than we used to see, but again is that Lake, or personnel?

UW has traditionally under coach K not been a heavy blitzing team. They have had the players to rush 3 or 4 and still limit the running game and put enough pressure to keep QB's off balance. They just don't this year. The pass rush has been weak and they are giving up more intermediate passing yards because of it. We were just spoiled by Vea IMO.

As for Hamdan, this is a major P5 program with playoff implications. It is a high enough program to not have to look for diamonds in the rough and form play callers from within. You can, and should, go out and poach already proven road tested veteran OC's from mid level programs. Petersen has to stop thinking like a mid major program ffs. Maybe Hamdan can develop into something. Maybe. And how long does that take? Again, when you see bad plays on offense they aren't always evaluated that way by staff. Sometimes you are setting up defenses to lean a particular way for an explosive play later. Maybe you are trying to wear out a player on D you find breaks down as the game goes on in your film study. These require your staff is playing chess, not checkers. Long term game planning and advanced plays to setup things later are keys. Also the ability to adapt on the fly and have plays already in your hip pocket to bust anything you are struggling with, which is something they frankly suck ass with this year. If a team is blitzing the dog shit out of you, can you adapt and throw bliz busting plays in to hurt them? So far the answer is no far more than yes. You can't wait for half time to talk it out and adapt. It MUST happen as you face it in game. Other teams are out coaching our offense on a nearly weekly basis. You cannot settle for that at this level. They've squandered a year with a senior 4 year starting QB and a senior 4 year starting stud RB. Sure, they had issues with youth at WR and have had line growing pains after losing their stud LT among other things, but sheesh is the play calling bad.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with Jimmy and Pete is, if you pride yourself on a stout defense, then you as coaches should be targeting kids that fit that scheme and if those kids don't live up to the "type" you want on your unit, then that falls back on the staff for not coaching them up to their potential.

I understand guys are going to leave early ( NFL bound) but you should have the next man up mentality, there should've been guys that can pressure a QB waiting in the wings. There approach this whole season has been playing loosely from the 20 to the other 20 then tightening there unit down. That's wrong at this level.

Taylor Rapp is a prime example, when he hits the NFL this kid is going to be paid as a top tier safety to creep down into the box and smack the hell out of a running back as crosses the line of scrimmage, this year he's been playing deeper and working coverage's instead of coming up in the box...