• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long does Philly stick with Wentz before going back to Foles?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not even gonna argue all the excuse making.

But do he threw two picks-against the leagues best d. Wentz was a turnover machine. But again. Foles gets shit done. Wentz does not. The rest is just excuses. Maybe they should dumb things down for Carson.

None of it is excuse making. All of it is fact.

Foles is - within the system as currently employed by Pederson - a very good QB. And yeah, it is doubtful the Eagles would be getting the same results with Wentz (especially this season). And yeah, it results in a big conundrum for the Eagles.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why people are getting emotional over another teams qb decision. The Eagles are in a no win situation as far as that goes. It's an extremely convenient one that has netted them a super bowl (which most people here would kill for) and a run to the final 8 this year.

It's hard not to go with the franchise QB in light of Foles playoff success. And it's hard to ignore Wentz as injury prone and with no playoff resume.

It's a good problem to have

Except they really can't keep both. Wentz looks to be the better QB long-term but short-term Foles seems to play well at the right times. I think the Eagles players feel better with Foles in charge.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except they really can't keep both. Wentz looks to be the better QB long-term but short-term Foles seems to play well at the right times. I think the Eagles players feel better with Foles in charge.

And that might be the most difficult element of this equation above all.

Also, Foles knows that the grass is not necessarily greener elsewhere. What if Foles is not interested in the teams that offer for him?

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things though:

* The burden placed on Foles by Pederson is much smaller than the one placed on Wentz. Just looking at the scheme (and listening to the statements by Foles and the coach) the Eagles DO run a simplified scheme for Foles compared to what they do for Carson.

* Foles has learned (the very hard way) to play within his limitations. Wentz has to learn this. Wentz does seem to suffer from 'hero syndrome'.

* Arguably Wentz had still not fully recovered from his ACL during the season.

* Foles has had the benefit of a number of players getting back from injury (Sproles for one), others getting out of a funck (Smallwood, Peters and Lane Johnson), and the DB's (and Schwartz) figuring things out on defense.

Foles in the first half (with the INTS) perfectly exemplified what his draw-back is.

You could have just said: it’s pederson fault. Wentz is injured. Players play harder for Foles for some reason than wentz. Btw... this isn’t novel or creative. Others have tried to pass this BS off before you.

Be sure to pick up your Wentz fanboy card. You’ve earned it!

Bwhahaha

#ridiculous

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you guys are forcing me to defend a Bird Brain. But I just have to do it. Again.

Someone compared Wentz to Bortles. PE was simply pointing out how Wentz had far exceeded anything Blake Bortles had accomplished before his injury. I just think it's hilarious that you guys are writing Carson Wentz off at this point in time. Probably did the same with Andrew Luck.

RG3 says hi and he’s sorry.

Does that help?

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh there are plenty of posters here who are writing off Carson Wentz, that's pretty obvious. It's also pretty stupid if you ask me.

Wentz is the second most overrated QB in the league behind Jimmy G. That’s not “writing him off”. He COULD still turn that around but right now that’s fact.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you aren't concerned with his college injury, his knee injury, or his broken back? It's even more stupid not to.

It's way to premature to throw him away as if he is a broken down horse, none of those injuries appear to be career threatening. They invested a ton, he is their future. Foles has done a great job but he's still Nick Foles.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's way to premature to throw him away as if he is a broken down horse, none of those injuries appear to be career threatening. They invested a ton, he is their future. Foles has done a great job but he's still Nick Foles.

Ok... he was injured thruout his college career. So much in fact, that it scared people off from trading up to go get him. Since being in the league he has not finished 2 of his 3 seasons.

You tell me... when’s the magic date that you start to SERIOUSLY questions his ability to stay healthy? What’s the magic date that you don’t move on from him ESPECIALLY if you have the opportunity to do so because you have Foles?

For me... I’d rather stick with the guy who has proven he can do it. Id rather stick with the guy who wins and stays healthy rather than the guy who has POTENTIAL to do the same thing.

You tell me what you would do and why.

Then we can both look back and see who was right.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... he was injured thruout his college career. So much in fact, that it scared people off from trading up to go get him. Since being in the league he has not finished 2 of his 3 seasons.

You tell me... when’s the magic date that you start to SERIOUSLY questions his ability to stay healthy? What’s the magic date that you don’t move on from him ESPECIALLY if you have the opportunity to do so because you have Foles?

For me... I’d rather stick with the guy who has proven he can do it. Id rather stick with the guy who wins and stays healthy rather than the guy who has POTENTIAL to do the same thing.

You tell me what you would do and why.

Then we can both look back and see who was right.

As an Eagles hater I hope you are right. I just see Nick Foles as a journeyman QB who has played well in Philly but it has only been 16 games. I see Wentz as a potential franchise QB who can keep them competitive for a decade. I can't predict the future but this is not a pitcher with a bad arm, all these injuries are unrelated and can be overcome. At this point it's way to early to call him wrecked, I just think it's crazy to bail on a 26 year old guy who showed so well early.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,691.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to go with Foles.....instead of Wentz as their QB....poor guy just cam't stay healthy and Foles is a proven winner.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Eagles hater I hope you are right. I just see Nick Foles as a journeyman QB who has played well in Philly but it has only been 16 games. I see Wentz as a potential franchise QB who can keep them competitive for a decade. I can't predict the future but this is not a pitcher with a bad arm, all these injuries are unrelated and can be overcome. At this point it's way to early to call him wrecked, I just think it's crazy to bail on a 26 year old guy who showed so well early.

Ok... so Foles will falter next year and Wentz will improve to be one of the next great franchise QBs... right? Is that what you are saying? Again, I just see what you are saying as nebulous. I want to be sure I have it right. Next year is the year both QB turn into what you think each are (a journeyman and a franchise QB).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... so Foles will falter next year and Wentz will improve to be one of the next great franchise QBs... right? Is that what you are saying? Again, I just see what you are saying as nebulous. I want to be sure I have it right. Next year is the year both QB turn into what you think each are (a journeyman and a franchise QB).

I'm saying it's entirely possible that Wentz returns to his former self, and yes he was the MVP of the league last year before his knee so his ceiling is higher than Nick Foles.

This is not Derrick Anderson who caught lightning in a bottle for one magical season, this is the 2nd pick in the draft whose play early justified the Eagles big investment.

Again I can't predict the future, and no doubt he has an injury history. But so did Andrew Luck. So did a whole lot of players who overcame injuries.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally cause Bortles was a MVP candidate and rated the 3rd best player in the entire league by his peers just like Wentz... right?

Bortles 2nd year

HLfqVCxzVx5CUDQ07GLeWg_28x21.png
Jaguars 58.6 4,428 35 18 88.2

Wentz 2nd year (his "MVP" season)
s4ab0JjXpDOespDSf9Z14Q_28x21.png
Eagles 60.2 3,296 33 7 101.9

Sure Blake had a few more pics and QB rating was a smidge higher. Otherwise, pretty close.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some facts for this long factless thread:

Wentz is the first QB in NFL history to throw for 10,000 yards in his first three seasons with at least 70 touchdowns and fewer than 30 interceptions.

:hammer:

The best current QB and best future QB are both on the Eagles!
:pound:

Current Champs.

Still alive.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone compared Wentz to Bortles. PE was simply pointing out how Wentz had far exceeded anything Blake Bortles had accomplished before his injury.

To be voted #3 on NFL networks top 100 list by the players? lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to go with Foles.....instead of Wentz as their QB....poor guy just cam't stay healthy and Foles is a proven winner.
Foles doesn't stay healthy either.

So we roll with both. Chaching.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 months ago you would be hard pressed to find a fan of any team that would not have loved to have Carson Wentz as their QB.

Almost all of these guys would still take Wentz, and they’d gleefully serve up a king’s ransom to do so.