• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long does Green Bay stick with Rodgers before going to Love?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happening. Rodgers' dead cap this year is $51M (on top of a $16M cap hit). Even if you split the dead cap that'd be $41M to another org while you eat $26M which nobody has at the moment.

Next year it's worse. The dead cap is $35M but his cap balloons to $36M. Again if you split the cap that'd be $53M... nobody can afford that especially if the cap goes down and why would you sacrifice all that for a 38-39 year old QB who has an injury past?

To answer the TC question @knowyourenemy the Packers are STUCK with Rodgers for 2 more years... They will switch to Love in all likelihood in 2022. And that makes sense. Love has all the tools but his football IQ is horrible. He needs to sit and learn and get coached up by a head coach who was a QB coach. That's IMO exactly why they hired LeFleur. Not because he was white and Bieniemy was black... but because LeFleur was a QB coach and can work with Love. Could argue Mahomes is good, but that's all Reid IMO.

They also lack WRs and failed to improve the OLINE which is something they'll likely look to do next year to set Love up.
This all depends if Love is truly the QB they think he is. the guy has a lot to prove after a less than stellar senior season.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaFleur is taking the offense in a new direction similar to what the Titans run. Rodgers will become more of a game manager in this offense which will feature a power running attack. This will make the play action pass more effective.

I agree with that strategic assessment. In the past couple years, the fire we've seen out of Rodgers has been primarily of discontent. This year, I think the 'discontent fire' is largely replaced with 'competitive/focused fire' and that's the vintage Rodgers I'm referring to.

Reactions: GNG

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all depends if Love is truly the QB they think he is. the guy has a lot to prove after a less than stellar senior season.

Well, them being stuck with Rodgers' massive contract is a thing regardless of Love unless the Packers and another team want to take a RIDICULOUS financial hit that will hamstring both teams.

As for Packers being traded, that will depend on whether they think Love can take over. Sitting Rodgers and starting Love is a possibility but I give that a small chance of happening.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, them being stuck with Rodgers' massive contract is a thing regardless of Love unless the Packers and another team want to take a RIDICULOUS financial hit that will hamstring both teams.

As for Packers being traded, that will depend on whether they think Love can take over. Sitting Rodgers and starting Love is a possibility but I give that a small chance of happening.
I don't see Love starting over Rodgers.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happening.

To answer the TC question @knowyourenemy the Packers are STUCK with Rodgers for 2 more years...

This ^^^^^...on paper makes the most sense.

Rodgers contract indicates that GB is locked in for 2 more seasons in GB as you pointed out. I still think if they struggle with AR this season, they will be reluctant to have him as a $36 mil cap hit next yr. Even with a $31 mil dead money hit, I think they will be looking to start over and will figure a way to pay it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give it the entire '20 season....if the Pack don't make the dance or go one and done...I can see the FO saying, if this is the best we can do with a $20 mil cap hit at the QB spot, no sense spending even more in '21...it's time to move Rodgers.
Who would you replace him with?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ^^^^^...on paper makes the most sense.

Rodgers contract indicates that GB is locked in for 2 more seasons in GB as you pointed out. I still think if they struggle with AR this season, they will be reluctant to have him as a $36 mil cap hit next yr. Even with a $31 mil dead money hit, I think they will be looking to start over and will figure a way to pay it.
This doesn't make sense unless they have someone as good to replace him with. I believe Rodgers plays out his contract unless he forces a trade.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make sense unless they have someone as good to replace him with. I believe Rodgers plays out his contract unless he forces a trade.

I don't totally disagree with you there, but it also does not make much sense to carry a $36 mil cap hit at ANY position if you're not seeing results on the field.

On paper...Rodgers contract is very toxic if traded or released this year....the dead money hit drops enough next year to make the move hoping to spread the dead money over two seasons.

I do not believe Rodgers plays this contract out in GB...if they win it all this year, yeah I could see him back in '21, but you don't often see teams invest a 1st round pick on any player and not play that guy for 2 years.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't totally disagree with you there, but it also does not make much sense to carry a $36 mil cap hit at ANY position if you're not seeing results on the field.

On paper...Rodgers contract is very toxic if traded or released this year....the dead money hit drops enough next year to make the move hoping to spread the dead money over two seasons.

I do not believe Rodgers plays this contract out in GB...if they win it all this year, yeah I could see him back in '21, but you don't often see teams invest a 1st round pick on any player and not play that guy for 2 years.
The Packers were 13-3 last season so Rodgers wasn't a problem. The Packers don't have any good WR's with the exception of Davante Adams. The Packers chose not to add a quality WR in the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Love has to show the Packers that he is good enough to take over as starting QB.

Given his draft stock...26th overall, they have already bought into Love on some level...sure he will have to perform to stick, but in terms of getting the chance to start...I think that's a given unless Rodgers has them playing at a high level....if GB goes 10-6 and 1 and done in the playoffs...do you really think they will go back to him in '21?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's a given unless Rodgers has them playing at a high level....if GB goes 10-6 and 1 and done in the playoffs...do you really think they will go back to him in '21?
It all depends on Love.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers were 13-3 last season so Rodgers wasn't a problem. The Packers don't have any good WR's with the exception of Davante Adams. The Packers chose not to add a quality WR in the draft.

If they go 13-3 again and get to the NFCCG...regardless of the outcome...I think Rodgers is at the helm next year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will be 37 in December. Clearly his best years are behind him. Rodgers’ AV has been 13 and 14 the last two years. Mitch Trubisky’s was 13 in 2018 and look at him now.

Looking at this objectively, the Packers should trade Rodgers this offseason because there is probably some dumbass GM out there that still thinks he is an elite quarterback and who will give up a ton of assets. Love will probably be as good as 37 year old Rodgers by the end of this season.

Thoughts?
If the Packers traded Rodgers this Offseason they'd still be stuck with over $50M in dead money. Won't happen. Earliest is next year

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Love will play in the preseason in order for the team to evaluate him.

I think you're looking at this as GB will play the better player. I think they will too and there's no question Rodgers is better now and probably will be next year.

What I'm looking at...Rodgers is the guy for 2020. If the results are there for the FO...they will go with him in '21 also. But if the results are not there they will start to question why they are carrying such a high cap hit at the position.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're looking at this as GB will play the better player. I think they will too and there's no question Rodgers is better now and probably will be next year.

What I'm looking at...Rodgers is the guy for 2020. If the results are there for the FO...they will go with him in '21 also. But if the results are not there they will start to question why they are carrying such a high cap hit at the position.
Rodgers by his own admission didn't have his best season last year but he still is arguably the most talented QB in the NFL although Mahomes is also a contender for that honor.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Rodgers pull a "Brady" and go elsewhere? The Packers organization haven't really pissed off him though, right? So he probably stays in Green Bay and retires....