• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long does Green Bay stick with Rodgers before going to Love?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will be 37 in December. Clearly his best years are behind him. Rodgers’ AV has been 13 and 14 the last two years. Mitch Trubisky’s was 13 in 2018 and look at him now.

Looking at this objectively, the Packers should trade Rodgers this offseason because there is probably some dumbass GM out there that still thinks he is an elite quarterback and who will give up a ton of assets. Love will probably be as good as 37 year old Rodgers by the end of this season.

Thoughts?

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers will be 37 in December. Clearly his best years are behind him. Rodgers’ AV has been 13 and 14 the last two years. Mitch Trubisky’s was 13 in 2018 and look at him now.

Looking at this objectively, the Packers should trade Rodgers this offseason because there is probably some dumbass GM out there that still thinks he is an elite quarterback and who will give up a ton of assets. Love will probably be as good as 37 year old Rodgers by the end of this season.

Thoughts?
Shortly after the draft, rumors started circulating that the Raiders would be interested. I don't how much truth there is to the talk about Carr and Gruden having a serious rift, but if the Raiders tank again and Carr has a mediocre season, you might see Rodgers in silver and black.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is GB's starting QB this year and next year, then he retires.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

I give it the entire '20 season....if the Pack don't make the dance or go one and done...I can see the FO saying, if this is the best we can do with a $20 mil cap hit at the QB spot, no sense spending even more in '21...it's time to move Rodgers.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shortly after the draft, rumors started circulating that the Raiders would be interested. I don't how much truth there is to the talk about Carr and Gruden having a serious rift, but if the Raiders tank again and Carr has a mediocre season, you might see Rodgers in silver and black.

This would be a very Raiders move to make. It may not be a terrible idea for them. The Gruden-Carr rift seems real and they’ve done well with older quarterbacks before.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give it the entire '20 season....if the Pack don't make the dance or go one and done...I can see the FO saying, if this is the best we can do with a $20 mil cap hit at the QB spot, no sense spending even more in '21...it's time to move Rodgers.

The problem with that is - Rodgers will be another year older, GB will have less leverage, and the number of teams that even want Rodgers will probably be down to a select few.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This year, yes. Next year? I wouldn’t be so sure.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is - Rodgers will be another year older, GB will have less leverage, and the number of teams that even want Rodgers will probably be down to a select few.

Base strictly on his age and cap hit....imo, that in bold is always going to be the case whether they move him now or next offseason.

To move him now, essentially GB is telling the fanbase, we're starting over....and with MIN having a great draft, but losing their best WR and CHI unsettled at QB...With Rodgers they are likely the favorite to win the DIV...why throw this season away?

I'm not opposed to GB moving Rodgers, but if they were going to do it this year, it seems to me the best time would've been around the draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not happening. Rodgers' dead cap this year is $51M (on top of a $16M cap hit). Even if you split the dead cap that'd be $41M to another org while you eat $26M which nobody has at the moment.

Next year it's worse. The dead cap is $35M but his cap balloons to $36M. Again if you split the cap that'd be $53M... nobody can afford that especially if the cap goes down and why would you sacrifice all that for a 38-39 year old QB who has an injury past?

To answer the TC question @knowyourenemy the Packers are STUCK with Rodgers for 2 more years... They will switch to Love in all likelihood in 2022. And that makes sense. Love has all the tools but his football IQ is horrible. He needs to sit and learn and get coached up by a head coach who was a QB coach. That's IMO exactly why they hired LeFleur. Not because he was white and Bieniemy was black... but because LeFleur was a QB coach and can work with Love. Could argue Mahomes is good, but that's all Reid IMO.

They also lack WRs and failed to improve the OLINE which is something they'll likely look to do next year to set Love up.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?
First Love has to prove he's good enough to replace Rodgers as the starter. He had mixed reviews as a college QB and I believe he'll ride the bench for at least three seasons.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Rodgers becomes the Raider's QB the fans in the Black Hole will be dressing like this \/ \/ \/

49318672_303.jpg

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he will play out his contract before he retires.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, yes. Next year? I wouldn’t be so sure.
Nobody can be so sure; this is a 'best guess' thread and that's mine.
  • I think Love will need a good two years of mentorship before he's close to ready to take over.
  • Financially, it makes the most sense for everybody if the Packers retain Rodgers through next year.
  • No one in the Packers organization is eager to push Rodgers out the door or pull Love into it. This whirlwind of speculation is driven by media and fans, not the Green Bay Packers organization or players.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he will play out his contract before he retires.
I really need to see how Rodgers responds to having a hotshot rookie breathe down his neck for the first time in his career before I can really gauge this. Predicting this is like trying to predict the path of a hurricane 10 days out.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really need to see how Rodgers responds to having a hotshot rookie breathe down his neck for the first time in his career before I can really gauge this. Predicting this is like trying to predict the path of a hurricane 10 days out.
Love has a lot to prove as he had a checkered college career. I expect Rodgers to respond positively.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happening. Rodgers' dead cap this year is $51M (on top of a $16M cap hit). Even if you split the dead cap that'd be $41M to another org while you eat $26M which nobody has at the moment.

Next year it's worse. The dead cap is $35M but his cap balloons to $36M. Again if you split the cap that'd be $53M... nobody can afford that especially if the cap goes down and why would you sacrifice all that for a 38-39 year old QB who has an injury past?

To answer the TC question @knowyourenemy the Packers are STUCK with Rodgers for 2 more years... They will switch to Love in all likelihood in 2022. And that makes sense. Love has all the tools but his football IQ is horrible. He needs to sit and learn and get coached up by a head coach who was a QB coach. That's IMO exactly why they hired LeFleur. Not because he was white and Bieniemy was black... but because LeFleur was a QB coach and can work with Love. Could argue Mahomes is good, but that's all Reid IMO.

They also lack WRs and failed to improve the OLINE which is something they'll likely look to do next year to set Love up.

That all makes sense. Not good that they are stuck with a very expensive, aging player that will likely not produce equivalent to his contract value.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll give it a decent chance that rodgers does not retire as a Packer.

having said that, from everything i've read/heard, Love is a project and needs to sit and learn for a while.

Reactions: GNG

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love has a lot to prove as he had a checkered college career. I expect Rodgers to respond positively.
As do I. I think he has a good-for-his-standards year this year. ...Probably not NFL-MVP-worthy, but might have his name in some discussions. Year #2 in LaFleur's new system and something substantial to prove leads me to believe we'll see flashes of vintage Rodgers throughout the year.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As do I. I think he has a good-for-his-standards year this year. ...Probably not NFL-MVP-worthy, but might have his name in some discussions. Year #2 in LaFleur's new system and something substantial to prove leads me to believe we'll see flashes of vintage Rodgers throughout the year.
LaFleur is taking the offense in a new direction similar to what the Titans run. Rodgers will become more of a game manager in this offense which will feature a power running attack. This will make the play action pass more effective.