• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How hard is it to find a QB??

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem moving forward is a lot of the top colleges use gimmick offenses and their qbs wont translate to the nfl. We hold qbs to a higher standard because the rules are easier now but almost no one will hit that standard keeping the league very lopsided as long as the rules favor the offense.

I actually wouldnt be surprised if college football starts becoming as popular as the nfl.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the result may be the same, Mariota is not Johnny Football. He is a boy scout. There are no tabloid photos of him with rolled up dollar bills in Vegas bathrooms. He's also 6-4 and 220 pounds, running a 4.5 40.

NFL teams will be much less scared to take a shot on Mariota. His floor is not nearly as bad as Manziel's.
He isn't any better than Manziel and Johnny Football has a better arm.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a moron.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem moving forward is a lot of the top colleges use gimmick offenses and their qbs wont translate to the nfl. We hold qbs to a higher standard because the rules are easier now but almost no one will hit that standard keeping the league very lopsided as long as the rules favor the offense.

I actually wouldnt be surprised if college football starts becoming as popular as the nfl.

I agree that this is part of the problem. Too many of the college QB(s) nowadays raley snap the ball from under center or call plays & command the huddle.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this is part of the problem. Too many of the college QB(s) nowadays raley snap the ball from under center or call plays & command the huddle.
Exactly my point.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I apologize for questioning your mental faculties. That was inappropriate. But you actually think that Manziel has as strong of an arm as Mariota? How exactly does he have a better arm? I don't think Mariota is Jay Cutler or Andrew Luck in the arm strength department, but he's not Manziel.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how few teams can find and DEVELOP a QB.

Philly has traded backups AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb for second round picks (multiple ones in the case of Kolb) because teams were so desperate for a serviceable QB. Both guys totally flopped of course, because they looked better in the Philly scheme, with a good line, than on teams with no talent. But such is the desperation out there.

By most accounts, there are really only two, maybe three NFL starter level prospects in this draft. So, do the math: about 10 teams will be stuck with no QB future once again opening day, trying to win with the likes of Matt Cassel and Geno Smith, etc.

This is why I strongly believe that if Philly decides to trade Foles, he will fetch a first round pick. Why? Because the alternatives are extremely bleak and people will look at Foles and say, he is a lower risk than all of them.

It's amazing how many teams have traded for backup QBs and gotten burnt big time. A good second topic

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually it starts in high school down here.
9th grade 7 on 7 starts the process
Agreed. I just dont know enough about high school football enough to know if fewer pro offenses are being used.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota apparently used a huddle in high school, but yes, many teams run spread offenses in high school, including in Texas. They haven't played under center ever, really.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another problem for the current crop of college QB(s) is that many of the offenses have predetermined reads. Meaning, there are very little anticipatory "throw your receiver open" type of throws in those offenses. Or many of the throws come from outside of the pocket on scrambles.

You add that all together with what's already been mentioned in this thread, you end up with a steep learning curve for rookie NFL QB(S) who are a lot of the time expected to contribute immediately.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very difficult to hit on QBs, but one thing that's as clear as anything else is that you can't be immature or a questionable character type guy and be good at that position in the NFL. You can often get away with that at the college level because of the disparity in athletic ability, but that gap goes away at the next level. If there's one position where you for sure can't be a knucklehead and play at a high level in the NFL, it's QB.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The transition is tough for these "spread" college QBs because they need to take snaps directly under center when passing it, rather than taking them 3 yards back. Its a lot easier to read the field when you can stand in one place after. Completely different monster when you need to read the field while dropping back.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny that it keeps coming to the spread qb. The only reasons were talking about that are because of what 3-4 guys , rg3, tebow, mariotta, manziel,..........not the tons of other guys who werent spread qb's and failed

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny that it keeps coming to the spread qb. The only reasons were talking about that are because of what 3-4 guys , rg3, tebow, mariotta, manziel,..........not the tons of other guys who werent spread qb's and failed

In recent years, most prospects come from that offense in college. And most have the same issues in transition, some overcome them, most don't.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How tough is it to find a good QB?

Well the Browns have been looking for one since their return in '99.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locker failed because he wasnt accurate, Ponder got overdrafted and Gabbert never had pocket prescense. Sanchez also got overdrafted. Freeman wasnt really ever accurate. Bradford is made of glass and has no touch although i guess he counts as a speead guy.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgive me, clayton, i honestly dont remember were the guys u just mentionaed all spread qb;s

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a lot more spread guys that have been drafted in rounds 2-3 than the guys you mentioned. Too many to list.