• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how do we fix this ?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, Where you go off base is believing that those of us advocating upgrading the OL believe that this will solve all of our problems. As I said in an earlier thread, wanting better OL play does not preclude also wanting better QB play. Both can, and do, need to be better. But doesn't it make sense that who ever our QB is (RG3, Cousins, player to be named later) that we have the best OL possible to afford them protection as the develop? IF our QB of the future is currently not on this team, then we will most likely be drafting him in the next couple of years. Which means they will be young and will need support. Now is the time to apply resources to fix our systemic OL issues. My first order of business would be to fix the middle of the OL. This is where the pocket collapses with regularity. We need our QB to have the ability to step up as they scan the field. That rarely happens today. Usually the pressure comes right up the middle and our QB gets flushed to the end, sometimes right into the waiting arms of the OLB/DE.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, Where you go off base is believing that those of us advocating upgrading the OL believe that this will solve all of our problems. As I said in an earlier thread, wanting better OL play does not preclude also wanting better QB play. Both can, and do, need to be better. But doesn't it make sense that who ever our QB is (RG3, Cousins, player to be named later) that we have the best OL possible to afford them protection as the develop? IF our QB of the future is currently not on this team, then we will most likely be drafting him in the next couple of years. Which means they will be young and will need support. Now is the time to apply resources to fix our systemic OL issues. My first order of business would be to fix the middle of the OL. This is where the pocket collapses with regularity. We need our QB to have the ability to step up as they scan the field. That rarely happens today. Usually the pressure comes right up the middle and our QB gets flushed to the end, sometimes right into the waiting arms of the OLB/DE.

shark is a good eye for talent . he can tell a player is a bust after 6 career starts and know he has no chance to be anything

i have a whole list in my original post that says what we need to do to fix this team

i have asked for anyone , to include shark , to come up with a better plan and so far no one has stepped up

but we have bitched for 6 pages on the o/line though

i think shark doesnt want a good o/line because if either of our qbs (or a future one ) play well then he would be wrong

my question to shark is , where is an available franchise qb ? can anyone tell me who is available ? anyone ?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get shark's disgust with what the team paid to acquire RG3, especially since there are now questions surrounding Robert. I also understand that huge price we paid precluded us from acquiring other talent such as OL. But that deal is done. The money is spent and we are not getting it back. All we can do is move forward. As almost all on this board feel, for this team to move forward, we have to finally address our poor OL play. This is not to protect RG3 only, but to protect whomever our QB is. Sometimes it just feels that some that are anti RG3 want to do nothing to give him support. I don't know if its they don't want him to succeed so that can't be proven wrong or if its just they hate RG3. But the bottom line that finding immediate starters for at least 2 positions across the OL needs to be a priority this off season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK Skinsdad, you asked so here is MY plan on how we fix this team.

Shocker alert.....

I also think it begins with improving the line. But not for the reasons you would think. We need to become hands down the best team in the league at running the ball. So beef up the line and scrap the ZBS.

Secondly improve the secondary with those high round picks. See I think we can get some big road grader types in the second and third round, as well as free agency.

Wait.. another shocker here.... if we werent so desperate to provide better pass blocking, Moses and Long as well as Ribeye would likely be our guys. All three are built for a power run control the clock style of offense that not only limits the amount of passes we are forced to throw, but also protects our defense by keeping them off the field.

In our heyday, the Skins were all about run the ball, control the clock and a stingy defense. So if we are going to go back, then thats exactly what we need to do. The Hogs werent good because they could dance around and pass block. They were good because they drove you into the ground so much that when ever we did pass, the Defense was to concerned with stopping the run to mount an effective pass rush.

So step one, get big and MEAN on the O-line

Step two, continue to improve the pass rush

Step three, improve the secondary at all four spots.

Step four, when we can run on anybody no matter how many they put in the box... it then doesnt matter who is at Qb as long as they can hit the broad side of Rosann's ass with a football from 30 paces. Because at that point the WRs we have can beat man coverage.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shocker alert.....

I also think it begins with improving the line. But not for the reasons you would think. We need to become hands down the best team in the league at running the ball. So beef up the line and scrap the ZBS.

Secondly improve the secondary with those high round picks. See I think we can get some big road grader types in the second and third round, as well as free agency.

Wait.. another shocker here.... if we werent so desperate to provide better pass blocking, Moses and Long as well as Ribeye would likely be our guys. All three are built for a power run control the clock style of offense that not only limits the amount of passes we are forced to throw, but also protects our defense by keeping them off the field.

In our heyday, the Skins were all about run the ball, control the clock and a stingy defense. So if we are going to go back, then thats exactly what we need to do. The Hogs werent good because they could dance around and pass block. They were good because they drove you into the ground so much that when ever we did pass, the Defense was to concerned with stopping the run to mount an effective pass rush.

Step four, when we can run on anybody no matter how many they put in the box... it then doesnt matter who is at Qb as long as they can hit the broad side of Rosann's ass with a football from 30 paces. Because at that point the WRs we have can beat man coverage.
after all that arguing and now we pretty much agree on everything lol

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shocker alert.....

OK shark so why all the BS ? did you not like patience ? or valuing our draft picks ? or signing reasonably cost free agents ? do you think 3 years isnt reasonable for a HC to get us on track ?

because everything i said you basically regurgitated back to me ?

once the are ready i believe long and moses will be in the line up but we need to be patient . my only question on ribeye at this point is if he is dedicated enough because if he hadnt blown last year by becoming the stay puff marshmallow man he could have been a solution

my question is who do we get at qb ? bradford could be had and on the cheap

here are our choices in the draft
jameis winston fsu , 6-4 230 lbs
marcus mariota oregon 6-4 219
sean mannion oregon state 6-5 214
brett hundley ucla 6-3 227
bryce petty 6-3 230
everett golson ND 6-0 200

those are your choices to replace our qbs we have on the roster . are there any franchise guys in that group?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we start with firing everyone in the scouting department and get some real talent evaluators in here! McGlynn looked better at LG for the Chiefs tonight than any current guard we have on our roster but, we cut him. I'm convinced that the people uring the decision makers to draft the likes of Compton, Gettis, Ribeye, Hurt, Long, Moses or any other bum we have or had playing oline over the past few years don't have a friggin clue what they are doing.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is what i feel will need to happen for this team to be a perennial contender

1) stability , we cant fire Gms and HC's every 5 minutes . shanahan had 4 years , gibbs 3 zorn 2 spurreir 2 shottenhiemer 1 . thats 5 coaches in 12 years . cant win like that shanny had control of football operations for 4 years gruden 4 games year allen starting his 1st year

2) patience by the fan base . this team wont go anywhere if the fan base is so much flavor of the day . now some some the fand have nothing to do with it . i say BS they buy the tickets , they buy the merchandise , and snyder listens to them and his bottom line . a coach needs 3 years to get his program rolling . i dont care how much you want to piss and moan about that but its a fact . and to those who disagree about that then my question is what is the alternative ? change out the FO every year ? change the HC every year ? i dont give a damn about 30 years . that shit is gone and you have to start somewhere and moaning like a whore wont change it

3) value our draft picks . no more stupid trades for washed up vets or alleged franchise qbs . you cant gut 2 drafts for one guy because if he fails. anyone advocating that philosophy is foolish because i have yet to see that work out at all

4) target needs in the draft , draft them at a spot that has value . if there isnt value at that spot then simply draft the BPA. build through the draft and develop our picks .

5) Top Priority should be given to the LOS on both sides of the ball . i dont care who is at qb without a good o/line it doesnt mean squat . how many rushed throws do you need to see from KC? how many times does Rg3 have to dodge someone before his foot hits on a 3 step drop. the o/line stinks

its crap , you know its crap , i know its crap , its Craaaaaaap

now the chorus will say all i ever want is the Los to be fixed . but we have never done it

on defense we have age there hatcher , cofield bowen and golston . all are over 30 and all are hurt we need a few good young guys to add to a rotation . that doesnt mean we cant use a hatcher and/or a cofield but we need good starting youth at Nt and de . i think baker is good and jenkins is a rotation guy

6) we need help at safety . guys clark and BM are over 30 . Bm is a suspension waiting to happen and clark is maybe a year away from being put out to pasture . we have no real promise except nacho who is ridng the IR . thomas cant stay healthy either . at CB we need 1 more Cb . i think we have a good pair in breeland and amerson but another tall rangy physical cb is what i am looking for . i think you can stop gap with hall and biggers and even chase

7) we need an aggressive top 10 defense to be competitive . we need pressure on the qb and decent coverage on the back end . we need to generate turnovers . This bend but dont break defense stinks i am tired of losing passively let lose going for it not sit back there waiting to lose

8) special teams need to be fixed , big returns penalties botched blocking assignments rule the day . we have an accurate Fg kicker and a thunderous punter . we lack discipline in this area

9) as i see it now we have a good wr corp a good rb corp 2 young qbs one great LT 3 good tes on offense . we have one good young d/lineman and i good rotation d/lineman and some quality over 30 guys on the d/line , we have 2 young starting cbs with potential we have a great lb corp , and an old safety position

10) the priority of needs are at least 2 o/lineman . center is weak and one guard is weak . i think long and moses can solve Rt and Og on one side but i wouldnt pass on a difference maker at OT or OG if he is there

next i look at d/line either at NT or de . we need someone who can push the pocket and force double teams

then comes safety . in all honesty we need 4 guys but i will settle for 2 young tall rangy starters i want my dbs tall and rangy and i dont mind tall cbs back there who arent fast enough to play cb

then comes CB we need another tall physical rangy cb to jar wrs off their routes

i would look at TE as well i like reed and paul however paulson could be upgraded and reed is shaky when it comes to health

then a burner at RB i like AM and helu but we need a field position changer at rb who can also return kicks

11) no signings of free agents over the age of 28 . certainly no big money on aging vets . i know sometimes a clark or hatcher signing is needed as a stop gap but we need to keep younger guys going into their prime

12) develop and keep our guys . i am tired of watching good kickers walk . i am tired of other team reaping the rewards of our guys we develop and draft

so that is what we need to do to correct the course . i dont see how we can win and not be patient . what other choice do we have ? i am all ears for any logical cases you can make for changing front offices and coaching staff every other year . i am all ears for gutting drafts on one guy . i am all ears if you can make the case for bad LOS play year in and year out . i am all ears if you want the "over the hill gang " out there and paying big money for has beens . i am all ears for drafting for needs only

all you have to do is look at seatle and what they do . they do the things i mentioned above

When the post by you suggested that you were going to put forth a plan on "HOW do we fix this?" I adjusted my seat and thought to myself, that this would be a very interesting thread indeed. A thread where followers of this team would actually employ their collective genius to offer concrete ideas aimed towards fixing the issues facing our team.

.............However, that is exactly what we did not get! Instead what was actually offered was a listing of our needs, most of which we have continuously written about on separate occasions. So the question that remained unanswered was and is......."HOW do we fix this?" In case you missed it the key word in the question is "HOW!" and not "WHAT" do we fix!

OK Sty, give us your best shot smartass....How DO we fix this team?

Like all successful sports teams it starts at the top. Dan Snyder has been an man caught in a quandary from the day that he became owner of the franchise. The quandary? Bottom line vs. a winning program. This has always been his issue and no one has been willing or brave enough to make him aware that for this enterprise a winning program IS directly related to a bigger bottom line. Gotta give him credit though....the man knows how to make money.......maximizing profits is however, his weakness. He seems to want to follow in the footsteps of Dallas owner Jerry Jones who uses the formula: promote the team through a series of public relations efforts, instead of setting the course on which the organization and team will dedicate themselves to.

So the fixes: 1. Get off of the public relations horse.

2. Determine what the identity of the team will be,(defensive power
like Baltimore has been......Offensive powers in the mold of N.E./Denver....a
throwback team in the mold of this team in its' heyday...or a hybrid team in the
mold of Seattle...etc.etc.etc.) then hire and build specifically with building the very best
version of the model chosen.

3. Hire "Fuck you!" people, guys like some found here on this board, who when put into
a room will fight like cats and dogs, but in the end have the best interest of the team in
mind.

4. End the comfort hires, Bruce Allen is just that, he is a hybrid politician/ yes man who
specializes in business and economics (got his degrees in that at Richmond) but is way
over his head as GM. Keep the guy, but make sure that his focus is on contracts and
salary caps. Use him as front man when outside/personal issues arise.

5. Hire a "dedicated" GM who as a job requirement is focused on building the product as
its' identity indicates. He must have NO allegiances to outside or emotional variances and
be constantly in upgrade, upgrade, upgrade mode. This BTW includes evaluating the
coaching staff.

6. Has anyone noticed that I have not mentioned the players yet? Why? because this is all
about fixing the mess. The players are the least of our worries and are merely a reflection
of the greater issues.

7. Here's where I agree with Dad, to ask the log suffering fans of this team to be patient is
a bold and difficult task. It must be done, but if all else is in place as stated above, here's
what will happen and happen quickly.

A. Aging veterans on the downside of their careers will be let go/traded
B. Non productive guys and guys who won't fit into the owner directed "Identity" of the
team will also be let go/traded
C. The team will realize significant salary cap room in which to operate in the coming years
D. Traded players will garner either new players or draft picks that fit the program.
E. A "dedicated" GM must have a top flight scouting department, and budget to match.

8. The GM must be a "Fuck you !" guy in his relations with the HC. The HC a "Fuck you!" guy
in his relations to the GM and his entire staff "Fuck you!" guys in their relations with
both the HC and GM. Why? Because we have an owner who steps up when personalities
clash and reminds them that he hired or allowed to be hired men who had that exact fight
in them. He does not fire on dedication to the program, but incompetence. Now, disagree
all you want, my bottom line is getting the job done. If your egos get in the way of that
goal then I won't fire you, you will! This relationship is key to success and must be allowed
time to foster results.

9. Reward the fans for their suffering (free parking day, use the Papa Johns model for
for wins etc.)

10. Of course these are not all of the answers to a "HOW do we fix this?" question, but in
a forum like this....it's a start.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Stymie is the closest to actually having a plan. The rest of the plans were a detail of what this team needs in the opinion of the planner. The problems with this team don't start at the player level they start at the highest level and move downward. People mention patience but Snyder is an owner without patience.

I have no idea what importance there is in fan patience. Fans don't decide anything.
Anyhow back to the top. We change, GMs, we change coaches, we change philosophies but in the end nothing really changes. Every couple of years this team changes it's on the field philosophy due to hiring a new coach.

I understand it is a different era but what worked for the Redskins in the 80s was the owner hired a good GM and that GM found a good young coach then the owner even with all his eccentricites let the football people run the football team while Cooke hosted the parties on Sunday and everyone enjoyed winning football. Unfortuneatly we can't fire the owner.

It is the owner that is as much behind trading away 4 draft picks for his franchise QB. It is the owner that signed players like Bruce Smith, Deion, Haynesworth and Archuleta. It was the owner who didn't value draft picks because they weren't sexy. It seems the owner now has a new minion ... Bruce Allen. His specialty was never personnel, he was a contracts guy.

You can want to change 60% of the Oline and replace 4 DBs and 2 DL. Good plan, you have 7 draft picks and free agency. How are you going to make all those moves and stay under the cap? Answer those questions and then you will have a plan. Until the problems in the front office are addressed you can't really address the problems on the field. Many might forget that when Shanahan was hired HE was going to be the football guy and make Snyder stay in the background. I don't think for one minute that happened and that is why this team is full of ex-Tampa players and coaches. I don't think they were Shanahan hires.

Anyhow I too would like better drafting and better FA signings. Way back when we traded 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to get our franchise some of us were against it because we knew that was potentially a loss of 4 young, inexpensive players. Some now calling for patience and good drafting were all for giving up all those picks for one player. The good news is we have our franchise QB .... maybe, but which one is he? Or are we in the market AGAIN for a QB. It is a vicious cycle? In the last 10-12 years we have drafted Patrick Ramsay, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins? How are we doing?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the post by you suggested that you were going to put forth a plan on "HOW do we fix this?" I adjusted my seat and thought to myself, that this would be a very interesting thread indeed. A thread where followers of this team would actually employ their collective genius to offer concrete ideas aimed towards fixing the issues facing our team.

.............However, that is exactly what we did not get! Instead what was actually offered was a listing of our needs, most of which we have continuously written about on separate occasions. So the question that remained unanswered was and is......."HOW do we fix this?" In case you missed it the key word in the question is "HOW!" and not "WHAT" do we fix!

OK Sty, give us your best shot smartass....How DO we fix this team?

Like all successful sports teams it starts at the top. Dan Snyder has been an man caught in a quandary from the day that he became owner of the franchise. The quandary? Bottom line vs. a winning program. This has always been his issue and no one has been willing or brave enough to make him aware that for this enterprise a winning program IS directly related to a bigger bottom line. Gotta give him credit though....the man knows how to make money.......maximizing profits is however, his weakness. He seems to want to follow in the footsteps of Dallas owner Jerry Jones who uses the formula: promote the team through a series of public relations efforts, instead of setting the course on which the organization and team will dedicate themselves to.

So the fixes: 1. Get off of the public relations horse.

2. Determine what the identity of the team will be,(defensive power
like Baltimore has been......Offensive powers in the mold of N.E./Denver....a
throwback team in the mold of this team in its' heyday...or a hybrid team in the
mold of Seattle...etc.etc.etc.) then hire and build specifically with building the very best
version of the model chosen.

3. Hire "Fuck you!" people, guys like some found here on this board, who when put into
a room will fight like cats and dogs, but in the end have the best interest of the team in
mind.

4. End the comfort hires, Bruce Allen is just that, he is a hybrid politician/ yes man who
specializes in business and economics (got his degrees in that at Richmond) but is way
over his head as GM. Keep the guy, but make sure that his focus is on contracts and
salary caps. Use him as front man when outside/personal issues arise.

5. Hire a "dedicated" GM who as a job requirement is focused on building the product as
its' identity indicates. He must have NO allegiances to outside or emotional variances and
be constantly in upgrade, upgrade, upgrade mode. This BTW includes evaluating the
coaching staff.

6. Has anyone noticed that I have not mentioned the players yet? Why? because this is all
about fixing the mess. The players are the least of our worries and are merely a reflection
of the greater issues.

7. Here's where I agree with Dad, to ask the log suffering fans of this team to be patient is
a bold and difficult task. It must be done, but if all else is in place as stated above, here's
what will happen and happen quickly.

A. Aging veterans on the downside of their careers will be let go/traded
B. Non productive guys and guys who won't fit into the owner directed "Identity" of the
team will also be let go/traded
C. The team will realize significant salary cap room in which to operate in the coming years
D. Traded players will garner either new players or draft picks that fit the program.
E. A "dedicated" GM must have a top flight scouting department, and budget to match.

8. The GM must be a "Fuck you !" guy in his relations with the HC. The HC a "Fuck you!" guy
in his relations to the GM and his entire staff "Fuck you!" guys in their relations with
both the HC and GM. Why? Because we have an owner who steps up when personalities
clash and reminds them that he hired or allowed to be hired men who had that exact fight
in them. He does not fire on dedication to the program, but incompetence. Now, disagree
all you want, my bottom line is getting the job done. If your egos get in the way of that
goal then I won't fire you, you will! This relationship is key to success and must be allowed
time to foster results.

9. Reward the fans for their suffering (free parking day, use the Papa Johns model for
for wins etc.)

10. Of course these are not all of the answers to a "HOW do we fix this?" question, but in
a forum like this....it's a start.

Stymiee, right on. This mess will not be fixed until the culture at Redskins Park is fixed. This starts at the top. The perennial playoff teams have a culture of winning. The Redskins under Snyder do not . Their culture is one of upheaval. OF gimmicks. Of the need for the shiny new toy. As any good manager does, when they lay out their plan, their set goals and timetables. Snyder has never done this. We hear him speak about Superbowls and winning, but there are no concrete expectations set.

Gruden is still new, but I see some of the same troubling trends we have seen with this team for a decade. Poor play, penalties, bad coaching. And it seems to go on accepted. Now we don't know whats going on behind the scenes, but an accountability fire needs to be lit under Gruden and then down to the players. Unforced penalties (personal fouls, mental mistakes) will not be tolerated. Fines and/or suspensions will follow. The new STs coach needs to be put on notice. One more big return and you, too, will be fined. After all, we pay you to do a job. We give you what ever you ask. If you don't do the job, do you deserve the pay we agreed to? Bottom line is people need to be held accountable. Once the players understand that winning is the only thing that matters and that everyone is responsible for this, then the culture starts to change.

Our issues have little to do with talent. We have talent on this team. We may have holes, but every team does. What we don't have is the focus on winning.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK shark so why all the BS ? did you not like patience ? or valuing our draft picks ? or signing reasonably cost free agents ? do you think 3 years isnt reasonable for a HC to get us on track ?

because everything i said you basically regurgitated back to me ?

once the are ready i believe long and moses will be in the line up but we need to be patient . my only question on ribeye at this point is if he is dedicated enough because if he hadnt blown last year by becoming the stay puff marshmallow man he could have been a solution

my question is who do we get at qb ? bradford could be had and on the cheap

here are our choices in the draft
jameis winston fsu , 6-4 230 lbs
marcus mariota oregon 6-4 219
sean mannion oregon state 6-5 214
brett hundley ucla 6-3 227
bryce petty 6-3 230
everett golson ND 6-0 200

those are your choices to replace our qbs we have on the roster . are there any franchise guys in that group?

Man, I think last thing we need is another QB, we first need to build a solid offensive line to protect our QB's we have, I really believe Griffin can take this team far in the playoffs with the right help.
Gruden needs to stay at least 5 yrs to be given a real shot at succeeding, I'm so sick of our organization always cutting ties with coaching staffs so fast. We do need to beef up our secondary also. Maybe get another DT and LB thru FA or draft which ever comes up but people are counting Griffin and Cousin's out too soon.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Stymie is the closest to actually having a plan. The rest of the plans were a detail of what this team needs in the opinion of the planner. The problems with this team don't start at the player level they start at the highest level and move downward. People mention patience but Snyder is an owner without patience.

I have no idea what importance there is in fan patience. Fans don't decide anything.
Anyhow back to the top. We change, GMs, we change coaches, we change philosophies but in the end nothing really changes. Every couple of years this team changes it's on the field philosophy due to hiring a new coach.

I understand it is a different era but what worked for the Redskins in the 80s was the owner hired a good GM and that GM found a good young coach then the owner even with all his eccentricites let the football people run the football team while Cooke hosted the parties on Sunday and everyone enjoyed winning football. Unfortuneatly we can't fire the owner.

It is the owner that is as much behind trading away 4 draft picks for his franchise QB. It is the owner that signed players like Bruce Smith, Deion, Haynesworth and Archuleta. It was the owner who didn't value draft picks because they weren't sexy. It seems the owner now has a new minion ... Bruce Allen. His specialty was never personnel, he was a contracts guy.

You can want to change 60% of the Oline and replace 4 DBs and 2 DL. Good plan, you have 7 draft picks and free agency. How are you going to make all those moves and stay under the cap? Answer those questions and then you will have a plan. Until the problems in the front office are addressed you can't really address the problems on the field. Many might forget that when Shanahan was hired HE was going to be the football guy and make Snyder stay in the background. I don't think for one minute that happened and that is why this team is full of ex-Tampa players and coaches. I don't think they were Shanahan hires.

Anyhow I too would like better drafting and better FA signings. Way back when we traded 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to get our franchise some of us were against it because we knew that was potentially a loss of 4 young, inexpensive players. Some now calling for patience and good drafting were all for giving up all those picks for one player. The good news is we have our franchise QB .... maybe, but which one is he? Or are we in the market AGAIN for a QB. It is a vicious cycle? In the last 10-12 years we have drafted Patrick Ramsay, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins? How are we doing?

I appreciate your feedback. However - I believe that you are making a lot of assumptions that have no basis (kind of what the WP does on a regular basis). Exactly what ex-Tampa players are your referencing? If there are some on the roster they are not that significant & were most likely brought in since they were positions of great need (e.g. secondary) & the Skins had no other choice. I also do truly believe that Shanahan ran the show when he was here & that was one of the biggest problems for this team.

You also have no proof that Snyder orchestrated the RG3 pick & we still don't know if that pick might still be a good one - can't believe that Redskins fans want to write off both of their QBs so quickly - foolish.

One of the key requirements for this team - to address the point of how & not what to fix - is patience. Several folks here keep talking about stability yet in the very next sentence they want to replace both the GM and the coach. That is completely ridiculous. You can't have it both ways.

Not sure exactly how to fix this team - as much as some here want to think that they are experts - we are not & I will leave that to the pros. However - I believe that patience is key and that includes paying attention to the rest of this season before coming up with an entire plan on how to fix this time. We will see.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I think last thing we need is another QB, we first need to build a solid offensive line to protect our QB's we have, I really believe Griffin can take this team far in the playoffs with the right help.
Gruden needs to stay at least 5 yrs to be given a real shot at succeeding, I'm so sick of our organization always cutting ties with coaching staffs so fast. We do need to beef up our secondary also. Maybe get another DT and LB thru FA or draft which ever comes up but people are counting Griffin and Cousin's out too soon.

Amen to that. Like I alluded to in another post - there are many Redskins fans (both here & in the real world) that always bash Snyder for being impatient & making too many changes yet the very same fans want to cut ties with both RG3 & Cousins & also potentially fire Gruden and/or Allen. Some folks need a reality check - this isn't Madden football.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have some good plans, but I am tired of hearing all of this "have patience" nonsense. These players, coaches, and evaluators/FO people, no matter how new to the Redskins, are not brand freakin new to football. They have been in this business for years and years and years...decades even. It should not take 5 fucking years every damned time a coach/or relatively important player is replaced to get back to winning, being a playoff team, or yes, even being a superbowl contender. Its all about putting the right pieces in place, drafting and coaching well, and making a run. How long did it take Harbaugh?? Carroll? I am sure you could go back and see a team almost every year in the conference championship who flat out sucked 2 or 3 years before. Most of these teams dont stay there year in and out because of how free agency is structured.

I am all about player development, but in this league, you only get 2 or 3 years to prove yourself worthy of playing in the NFL. IF you don't make good on that, then oh well. Taking your nice little paycheck from your one and only contract, buy a nice house, and find another line of work. This notion of giving some bum 5 years to develop...well thats bullshit. If he dont develop into a starter in 2 or 3 years..then cut his ass, he is a bench warmer in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have some good plans, but I am tired of hearing all of this "have patience" nonsense. These players, coaches, and evaluators/FO people, no matter how new to the Redskins, are not brand freakin new to football. They have been in this business for years and years and years...decades even. It should not take 5 fucking years every damned time a coach/or relatively important player is replaced to get back to winning, being a playoff team, or yes, even being a superbowl contender. Its all about putting the right pieces in place, drafting and coaching well, and making a run. How long did it take Harbaugh?? Carroll? I am sure you could go back and see a team almost every year in the conference championship who flat out sucked 2 or 3 years before. Most of these teams dont stay there year in and out because of how free agency is structured.

I am all about player development, but in this league, you only get 2 or 3 years to prove yourself worthy of playing in the NFL. IF you don't make good on that, then oh well. Taking your nice little paycheck from your one and only contract, buy a nice house, and find another line of work. This notion of giving some bum 5 years to develop...well thats bullshit. If he dont develop into a starter in 2 or 3 years..then cut his ass, he is a bench warmer in my opinion.

First of all someone like Harbaugh inherited a team that was already loaded with talent. They just had the wrong coach. You cannot make the same claim with the current Redskins team. So let's focus on the coaching aspect. Gruden has only been with this team 4 games - give it a little time. Those 4 games consisted of one stinker for the Skins, one game where they dominated, one nail biter against a much better team & one close game against a team that apparently is pretty good. They have also had a ridiculous amt of injuries during that time.

How exactly would you propose that they handle Gruden? One year & out if he falls short? Also - he may have been around football for a long time, but he is brand new to being a head coach & it takes time to get adjusted. I believe that he just might be a half decent coach. Do people completely forget that Joe Gibbs started out 0-5 in his rookie head coaching season (and yes at the time people wanted to run him out of town)?

I am not suggesting that they give coaches, GMs, etc 5 years to prove themselves. However - you have to give it at least a year & to me it appears as if some folks want to blow this whole thing up now. You also can't judge everything based on some folks from the recent past who are long gone. I hear your frustration but to clarify all I am asking for is for people to wait for the season to at least be 75% over until jumping to all of these conclusions.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forget about this. Build a line that can run on anyone, and you could park bobo the circus monkey back there. We have failed over 20 years to try and install a high powered passing attack that can be consistent. We need to stop wasting time trying to be the greatest show on grass, and go back to what we were when we were a good football team. IM all in for beefing up the line, but it should be about making the ground game dominant, not in some grand attempt to become this exciting passing team. That has obviously failed multiple times over the past 20 years, time to really go back to our roots.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about this. Build a line that can run on anyone, and you could park bobo the circus monkey back there. We have failed over 20 years to try and install a high powered passing attack that can be consistent. We need to stop wasting time trying to be the greatest show on grass, and go back to what we were when we were a good football team. IM all in for beefing up the line, but it should be about making the ground game dominant, not in some grand attempt to become this exciting passing team. That has obviously failed multiple times over the past 20 years, time to really go back to our roots.

Actually the ground attack & blocking has done pretty well lately. Even at the current time w/ the current personnel they can have a pretty decent running game. The key is staying committed to the run & that often means continuing to run the ball even when you don't get that many yards. It is similar to an NBA shooter continuing to put up the ball when slumping. I believe that this team often gives up on the run too early.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sporster in the next 2 years we have 14 draft picks
we have 2 of the o/lineman on the roster so we need 2 .

4 dbs is right and 2 dl . by my count that is 8 players

the 1st rounders would cost 2 mil a piece which is 4 mil
the 2 2nd round and 3rd rounders cost another 3 mil

that is 7 mil in cap space now are you telling me we cant get that by cutting a bowen and chester ?

plus our cap will grow and we will be hugely under the cap in the next couple of years

now my OP was the plan , this is a more detailed look at execution

now according to sports trac we are carrying LBF and doughty at a combined 5.7 mil (i am wary of this figure )

jenkins j is a free agent and he is paid 2.8 golston 300k hank 600 k , that is 3.7 mil

polumbus stieger and chester 9.7 combined

rak is 11 mil if you decide to let him walk
, need i go on ? thats 30 mil freed up

we havent talked about redoing trent 10.0 cofield 6 mil garcon 8.5 mil

so there you have it . we should have enough draft picks and money to get the players we could use

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we start with firing everyone in the scouting department and get some real talent evaluators in here! McGlynn looked better at LG for the Chiefs tonight than any current guard we have on our roster but, we cut him. I'm convinced that the people uring the decision makers to draft the likes of Compton, Gettis, Ribeye, Hurt, Long, Moses or any other bum we have or had playing oline over the past few years don't have a friggin clue what they are doing.

You do realize that the scouting department was responsible for the acquisition of McGlynn right? The scouts do not make the decision to cut players, that's the coaches. Compton was a late round pick and the fact that he is still here says they scouted well. Long and Moses have been here for a week and a half and you have declared them both busts? Awesome.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that the scouting department was responsible for the acquisition of McGlynn right? The scouts do not make the decision to cut players, that's the coaches. Compton was a late round pick and the fact that he is still here says they scouted well. Long and Moses have been here for a week and a half and you have declared them both busts? Awesome.

I will simply say this in case every one seemed to miss it.

Most of your teams that tend to have hat is considered GOOD pass blockers, tend to be average or worse when running the ball. And most of your teams that excel at running the ball, tend to be average or worse at passing the ball. The two skil sets are similar, but chances are if you have a guy that excels at run blocking, he will struggle or in most cases be average in pass blocking or vise versa. There are very few truely dominant O-lineman that do well at both.

SO maybe its not the scouts that are failing, but the teams indecision on exactly what we want to be as an offense. I know we as fans want ot be this all powerful unstoppable Juggernaut. But reality is, the best teams have sort of picked what they are going to live by and designed the teams accordingly. The ZBS realy isnt the best thing as far as pass blocking with the QBs we currently have. We need to go run heavy, commit to it, and build off of it. But a 2-1 passing ratio is NEVER going to work with the line we have or a ZBS period.