• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have we seen this movie before

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice being back. I’ve been looking from afar checking out what everyones been chatting about throughout the year. Don’t have much to say or add in the off season.
Good to see you posting again buddy

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same smoke, and I get it, so perhaps it would br beneficial to go back and redo the draft, only this time they draft Drake Maye!
That's what this is all about , correct?
If not, consider the facts that Kirk Cousins was in the pocket when he got hurt. Same thing with Aaron Rogers, Jordan Love, and J.J.McCarthy got hurt walking down stairs at home. It's football, damn, people get hurt!

That argument is silly Sty. Do you have a greater chance of being hurt if you are hit more often?

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 biggest issue was not cutting the ball loose when guys were open . Gruden repeatedly complained about it hence he turned to KC . In the end KC was the better qb and RG3 ended up as a bust and career BU
RG3's other problem was that when all he had left was a few ligaments holding his knees together he tried to become a 100% pocket passer, and when you don't have quick thinking ability we get to watch sack after sack and TO's. Now we have another potential star and Jayden will only get better but he needs to keep his knees in check. Sorry to bring up RG3 I know its a painful subject.. just want a better ending this time. I just hope the coaching staff is in his ear about taking unnecessary hits. Every game right now is a continuous holding the breath.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That argument is silly Sty. Do you have a greater chance of being hurt if you are hit more often?
It's actually based on observation and fallacies albeit not unusual for Commanders Nation.
Your question is specious, because it assumes one thing that's based in fear and downplays another where there are more opportunities to get hurt because it's more typically seen in the league. (Pocket passers)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no evidence that mobile quarterbacksare more likely to get injured than quarterbacks who stay in the pocket:

A 2013 study found no significant difference in injury rates between mobile and conventional quarterbacks.

According to Sports Injury Insider, running the football is less dangerous than passing the ball.

Greg Roman, the offensive coordinator for the Ravens, said that designed runs aren't as dangerous as some think.

Quarterbacks get hurt often because it's a physical game, and they hold the ball on almost every play. Defenses are made up of fast, big players who want to hit the quarterback. The most common injury for quarterbacks is a shoulder injury, which accounts for 48.5% of all upper extremity injuries.
Give me a few and I'll post those studies.

Skinsfan21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire sports media and all the social media outlets can't stop gushing about this guy named Jayden. We've been hearing it all day... lets give him ROY right now. I see a more disciplined Lamar v2 when I watch him. NFCE just got served notice... blah blah blah. If I recall the same things were being said about another ROY RG3 after his first game in New Orleans 2012. 19/26 320yrds,, 2 passing TDs no pics,, 9 rushes 42 yrds,, 7 WRs with 20 or more yrds,, same 7 WRs with catches of 20 yrds or more,,12.3 yrds completion on average.

What I'm saying is we all know how that movie we saw 12 years ago ended. If you don't remember it ended very badly. Jayden Daniels is a skinny kid taking on linebackers. Remember that part of the movie that we all saw before? Again, didn't end well. Seems we have another QB who has a problem with sliding. I'm fearing the worst, is all.

I just wish the media and a lot of fans would calm down some and not put the kid on the top QB list of greats already. In reality...It's one really really good game, and that's all it is, but it feels good to once again have reasons to be excited.

#JD5
Thank you.

I’ve been saying this same thing. As A Redskins fans of more than 30 years. I’ve been conditioned to celebrate the now but not look too far into the future

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually based on observation and fallacies albeit not unusual for Commanders Nation.
Your question is specious, because it assumes one thing that's based in fear and downplays another where there are more opportunities to get hurt because it's more typically seen in the league. (Pocket passers)

Mobile QBs also throw the ball. Almost all injuries involve contact. So if a player is hit more often, they they are more likely to be injured. There is an obvious correlation.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Same smoke, and I get it, so perhaps it would br beneficial to go back and redo the draft, only this time they draft Drake Maye!
That's what this is all about , correct?

I’m assuming you mean that Maye is more a pocket passer and Jayden a hybrid. I absolutely love that they drafted Daniels just to be clear. I’m cheering for him like nobody else. My post was about the similarities in play here. 2nd overall pick. Running QB. Hype after a great game. Non slider.

I get it he seems a better passer. Smarter decision maker and better pocket awareness, and I understand QBs get hurt in the pocket, but Jayden is a skinny 210 pounder taking on linebackers. If he doesn’t stop going head first the movie will end the same way. Maybe as he trains he puts on 10 or 15 pounds of muscle but running on average 13 times a game balls to the wall don’t bode well for QBs and their careers.

This was the first game out of 3 where he was looking downfield as he scrambled around.. looking to throw before running.. yet still ran 12 times. Like to see it down round 5 a game and a few throw aways. Want my QB for 10 years.. not alway 10 yards
Lamar Jackson says hi. He is even smaller and runs more often. A great organization like the Ravens aren't scared to run their QB when that is his best asset. I get your concern but let's not forget that he ended a run with a slide and skipped out of bounds on all but one and that one he needed to convert a 3rd and short.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My worry is and was Daniels taking hits. I think the difference between Griffin and Jayden is the ability to play the position. Griffin's one good year was Shanahan catching the league by surprise with the RPO game.

Very few QBs go 12 years without an injury. JD5 will likely suffer some sort of injury lets just hope it isn't serious.
h needs to avoid them as much as he can,this ain,t lsu vs bama.
RG3 biggest issue was not cutting the ball loose when guys were open . Gruden repeatedly complained about it hence he turned to KC . In the end KC was the better qb and RG3 ended up as a bust and career BU
sucks as a TV guy too

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mobile QBs also throw the ball. Almost all injuries involve contact. So if a player is hit more often, they they are more likely to be injured. There is an obvious correlation.
That's obviously true about all players when there's contact, and questionbable about all injuries resulting from contact. Pulls, strains, tears and sometimes breaks often happen when there's zero contact. However, specifically to your concerns about running QBs vs pocket passers, there are plenty of studies that have shown conclusively that there isn't a significant difference in injury rates between them. Mobile QBs are not more prone to injuries than their less mobile counterparts. Both types tend to lose a similar percentage of their starts to injuries.

Interestingly, the perception of running quarterbacks being more injury-prone doesn’t hold under scrutiny.

Global web icon
Fantasy Points
https://www.fantasypoints.com › nfl › articles › season › mobile-quarterbacks-and-injury...

Mobile Quarterbacks and Injury Rates | Fantasy Points

New Study: Quarterbacks That Run Most Are Not Injured Most

www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-inju

th

Injury proneness of running QBs like Russell Wilson, …

WEBOct 20, 2019 — Research on NFL quarterback injuries compiled by injury coordinator John Verros at Sports Info Solutions shows the risk of a quarterback being injured on a designed run is remote — only...

Global web icon
National Center for Biotechnology Information
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › pmc › articles

Common Injuries in Professional Football Quarterbacks

...And for those of you who continue to see our guy, Jayden Daniels as a "running" QB (He isn't) There's this...

bruinsportsanalytics.com
https://www.bruinsportsanalytics.com › post › qb-mobility

Quarterback Mobility and Longevity - BSA

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no evidence that mobile quarterbacksare more likely to get injured than quarterbacks who stay in the pocket:

A 2013 study found no significant difference in injury rates between mobile and conventional quarterbacks.

According to Sports Injury Insider, running the football is less dangerous than passing the ball.

Greg Roman, the offensive coordinator for the Ravens, said that designed runs aren't as dangerous as some think.

Quarterbacks get hurt often because it's a physical game, and they hold the ball on almost every play. Defenses are made up of fast, big players who want to hit the quarterback. The most common injury for quarterbacks is a shoulder injury, which accounts for 48.5% of all upper extremity injuries.
Give me a few and I'll post those studies.
I think that may be true on designed QB runs where he has blockers out there to hopefully deflect those 240 Lb missles flying at him. But on broken plays, where the qb is isolated, especially the QBs who don’t know how to protect themselves (rgme), have to be at a higher risk of injury.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This also depends on your definition of a mobile qb. Who would declare that Payton Manning Tom Brady, or drew brees were mobile QBs? Yet, they were in a sense. All 3-knew how to move in the pocket.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that may be true on designed QB runs where he has blockers out there to hopefully deflect those 240 Lb missles flying at him. But on broken plays, where the qb is isolated, especially the QBs who don’t know how to protect themselves (rgme), have to be at a higher risk of injury.
I know that this was an included factor in one of the studies and despite that the outcomes remained the same. A lot of this has to do with the named QB in your post. In a slang context, “RGME syndrome” could be used to describe someone who starts off with great potential and hype but then faces significant physical setbacks and because of it, fails to live up to expectations. For our purposes, spell it... F.E.A.R!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This also depends on your definition of a mobile qb. Who would declare that Payton Manning Tom Brady, or drew brees were mobile QBs? Yet, they were in a sense. All 3-knew how to move in the pocket.
Exactly!! There's a stigma attached to certain QBs that has to be of origins not discussed on forums like this. That said, let it be known wide and clear that Washington's QB, Jayden Daniels is not, let me repeat that, NOT a running QB using the conventionally known understanding of the term! For his entire career, he's been a pass-first QB who has the added ability to run when, and if, necessary. He's more Steve Young than Lamar Jackson, just more polished than both in either category.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly!! There's a stigma attached to certain QBs that has to be of origins not discussed on forums like this. That said, let it be known wide and clear that Washington's QB, Jayden Daniels is not, let me repeat that, NOT a running QB using the conventionally known understanding of the term! For his entire career, he's been a pass-first QB who has the added ability to run when, and if, necessary. He's more Steve Young than Lamar Jackson, just more polished than both in either category.
young is a good comparison. That’s high praise for a guy 3 games into his career. I can’t do that yet, but he definitely has the tangible traits. Now if he can master the intangible traits, and so far has shown he can, then we have a keeper. But I gotta see a seasons worth, at least, before I can talk of him in the same breath with the likes of young and Jackson.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that this was an included factor in one of the studies and despite that the outcomes remained the same. A lot of this has to do with the named QB in your post. In a slang context, “RGME syndrome” could be used to describe someone who starts off with great potential and hype but then faces significant physical setbacks and because of it, fails to live up to expectations. For our purposes, spell it... F.E.A.R!
Could be. RGME syndrome could also be possibly used to describe someone who though he was better than he really was.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
young is a good comparison. That’s high praise for a guy 3 games into his career. I can’t do that yet, but he definitely has the tangible traits. Now if he can master the intangible traits, and so far has shown he can, then we have a keeper. But I gotta see a seasons worth, at least, before I can talk of him in the same breath with the likes of young and Jackson.
This is an excellent approach to his rookie season.

While I've already been convinced, there has to be room for others to see it for themselves and make their evaluations. That said, the entire debate between @dad and myself is completely built around my conviction and his wanting to have and process the evidence himself. Unfortunately for me, the team and organization seem to be taking a more cautious approach as well.

In my season prediction, one of the things that I insisted upon was the faltering of either Dallas or Philly which would (in an 8-9 win season) give rise to a possible wild-card berth. Right now, people are talking about this team being sneakily in contention for the division but I can't see it with what we have offensively. (Hit me up if they trade for Tee Higgins) The defense will finish no lower than 15/16 in the league... yeah I know,... but that too was part of my prediction and I'm sticking with it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be. RGME syndrome could also be possibly used to describe someone who though he was better than he really was.
Considering the injuries and obvious mishandling, how would we ever know, especially after the 2012 season?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the injuries and obvious mishandling, how would we ever know, especially after the 2012 season?
We won’t. We can only speculate.