• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how do we fix this ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is what i feel will need to happen for this team to be a perennial contender

1) stability , we cant fire Gms and HC's every 5 minutes . shanahan had 4 years , gibbs 3 zorn 2 spurreir 2 shottenhiemer 1 . thats 5 coaches in 12 years . cant win like that shanny had control of football operations for 4 years gruden 4 games year allen starting his 1st year

2) patience by the fan base . this team wont go anywhere if the fan base is so much flavor of the day . now some some the fand have nothing to do with it . i say BS they buy the tickets , they buy the merchandise , and snyder listens to them and his bottom line . a coach needs 3 years to get his program rolling . i dont care how much you want to piss and moan about that but its a fact . and to those who disagree about that then my question is what is the alternative ? change out the FO every year ? change the HC every year ? i dont give a damn about 30 years . that shit is gone and you have to start somewhere and moaning like a whore wont change it

3) value our draft picks . no more stupid trades for washed up vets or alleged franchise qbs . you cant gut 2 drafts for one guy because if he fails. anyone advocating that philosophy is foolish because i have yet to see that work out at all

4) target needs in the draft , draft them at a spot that has value . if there isnt value at that spot then simply draft the BPA. build through the draft and develop our picks .

5) Top Priority should be given to the LOS on both sides of the ball . i dont care who is at qb without a good o/line it doesnt mean squat . how many rushed throws do you need to see from KC? how many times does Rg3 have to dodge someone before his foot hits on a 3 step drop. the o/line stinks

its crap , you know its crap , i know its crap , its Craaaaaaap

now the chorus will say all i ever want is the Los to be fixed . but we have never done it

on defense we have age there hatcher , cofield bowen and golston . all are over 30 and all are hurt we need a few good young guys to add to a rotation . that doesnt mean we cant use a hatcher and/or a cofield but we need good starting youth at Nt and de . i think baker is good and jenkins is a rotation guy

6) we need help at safety . guys clark and BM are over 30 . Bm is a suspension waiting to happen and clark is maybe a year away from being put out to pasture . we have no real promise except nacho who is ridng the IR . thomas cant stay healthy either . at CB we need 1 more Cb . i think we have a good pair in breeland and amerson but another tall rangy physical cb is what i am looking for . i think you can stop gap with hall and biggers and even chase

7) we need an aggressive top 10 defense to be competitive . we need pressure on the qb and decent coverage on the back end . we need to generate turnovers . This bend but dont break defense stinks i am tired of losing passively let lose going for it not sit back there waiting to lose

8) special teams need to be fixed , big returns penalties botched blocking assignments rule the day . we have an accurate Fg kicker and a thunderous punter . we lack discipline in this area

9) as i see it now we have a good wr corp a good rb corp 2 young qbs one great LT 3 good tes on offense . we have one good young d/lineman and i good rotation d/lineman and some quality over 30 guys on the d/line , we have 2 young starting cbs with potential we have a great lb corp , and an old safety position

10) the priority of needs are at least 2 o/lineman . center is weak and one guard is weak . i think long and moses can solve Rt and Og on one side but i wouldnt pass on a difference maker at OT or OG if he is there

next i look at d/line either at NT or de . we need someone who can push the pocket and force double teams

then comes safety . in all honesty we need 4 guys but i will settle for 2 young tall rangy starters i want my dbs tall and rangy and i dont mind tall cbs back there who arent fast enough to play cb

then comes CB we need another tall physical rangy cb to jar wrs off their routes

i would look at TE as well i like reed and paul however paulson could be upgraded and reed is shaky when it comes to health

then a burner at RB i like AM and helu but we need a field position changer at rb who can also return kicks

11) no signings of free agents over the age of 28 . certainly no big money on aging vets . i know sometimes a clark or hatcher signing is needed as a stop gap but we need to keep younger guys going into their prime

12) develop and keep our guys . i am tired of watching good kickers walk . i am tired of other team reaping the rewards of our guys we develop and draft

so that is what we need to do to correct the course . i dont see how we can win and not be patient . what other choice do we have ? i am all ears for any logical cases you can make for changing front offices and coaching staff every other year . i am all ears for gutting drafts on one guy . i am all ears if you can make the case for bad LOS play year in and year out . i am all ears if you want the "over the hill gang " out there and paying big money for has beens . i am all ears for drafting for needs only

all you have to do is look at seatle and what they do . they do the things i mentioned above

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
find an upgrade for haslett and foerster. find replacements for litch and chester, guys that are big and can pass block. in rounds one and two draft bpa at o line, d line, safety.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
find an upgrade for haslett and foerster. find replacements for litch and chester, guys that are big and can pass block. in rounds one and two draft bpa at o line, d line, safety.

well i wasnt calling for coaching changes yet

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Litch and Chester is fine. Where do you get these two guys with excellent pass blocking skills? How do you fit them under the cap? If you want two be power guys what do you do to the offense? Are you scrapping the ZBS? I know these guys struggle at pass blocking but they are here to run the scheme being used.

I understand, I want better lineman too but this isn't 1985 where you don't have to worry about a salary cap. Skins are barely under it now. We are paying a lot of money to WRs, OLBs and Dlineman. If you want to allocate money for Olineman then you have to make changes elsewhere. If you want to make changes it will have to come from the guys already on the squad.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Litch and Chester is fine. Where do you get these two guys with excellent pass blocking skills? How do you fit them under the cap? If you want two be power guys what do you do to the offense? Are you scrapping the ZBS? I know these guys struggle at pass blocking but they are here to run the scheme being used.

I understand, I want better lineman too but this isn't 1985 where you don't have to worry about a salary cap. Skins are barely under it now. We are paying a lot of money to WRs, OLBs and Dlineman. If you want to allocate money for Olineman then you have to make changes elsewhere. If you want to make changes it will have to come from the guys already on the squad.

Sportster... at some point we will get to the level where better than 40% of our cap is dedicated to the O-line. Many will call this progress because we finally committed to the LOS. But the same people will wonder why we have 3rd level WRs starting at that point in time.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its called a draft we have a full compliment of picks for the next 2 years and counting

free agency is another way in conjunction with the draft

now again i am all ears if anyone has better way , all ears

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its called a draft we have a full compliment of picks for the next 2 years and counting

free agency is another way in conjunction with the draft

now again i am all ears if anyone has better way , all ears

Dad, your plan is fine, no one can logically argue it. But the proof is in the execution. I still maintain that this next offseason, we can sign 2 FA OL and draft a really good one in the 2nd round and infuse new life into the ol. This is the only real issue we have on offense (assuming the QB thing works out.....).

I would add that we need to divest ourselves of bloated contracts for under or non performers. If we cut Bowen and Chester, we free up significant cap space. We have got to learn to cut ties with players before they become boat anchors. The Patriots do this all the time. They either cut or let walk players that have reached that age where their productivity will start to decline, but they are looking for the big contract. We hung onto Fletcher at least 1 year, if not 2 years too long. We've hung onto Chester way too long. Bowen will never be an impact player, but he is paid as one.

There is a player out there that is all pro G looking for work.......Incognito. He is still under 30 and will sign for cheap. Cut Bowen and sign him?

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i wasnt calling for coaching changes yet

I've been wanting them out of dc for years now, I'm just being consistent. The o line coach and Chester were together in Baltimore and they're together here. They can go back to Baltimore. As for who to replace Chester and litch with I dont know, but if u r trying to upgrade the team its best to upgrade the old shitty players. And if u want the qbs to be successful the pocket can't always collapse on our qbs. Clean pockets help. Do i want 3 first round picks and two big free agents on the o line? Hell no, I think the coaches and scheme are more important than the o line itself. But Chester and litch should eventually be upgraded which honestly isn't that hard. Will the fix take one or two years? No but heading in the right direction during the off seasons help.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportster... at some point we will get to the level where better than 40% of our cap is dedicated to the O-line. Many will call this progress because we finally committed to the LOS. But the same people will wonder why we have 3rd level WRs starting at that point in time.
is that really what focus on the o line means to you?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is that really what focus on the o line means to you?

Dude... for the past 11or more years I have seen posters screaming its all the O-lines fault. I just want us to get to a point where people can stop bitching about the line and realize that this is NOT really our problem. So Im fine if we commit $90 million to the O-line next year just to get past this particular excuse point.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude... for the past 11or more years I have seen posters screaming its all the O-lines fault. I just want us to get to a point where people can stop bitching about the line and realize that this is NOT really our problem. So Im fine if we commit $90 million to the O-line next year just to get past this particular excuse point.

who is talking about committing 90 mil to the o/line ?

the o/line sucks shark period it sucks with Rg3 in there , it sucks with KC in there beck in there , Dmac in there , Rex in there , it sucks

now we have one pro bowl LT i am sure that long and moses should be ready next season so why cant a 2nd or 3rd round pick be used at c or g ? that would cost about 1/2 a mil a piece ?

shoot joe flacco won a super bowl because he had a good o/line but you think HOF qbs grow on trees . qbs need protection and we havent done enough to give it to them in the last decade or so

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is talking about committing 90 mil to the o/line ?

the o/line sucks shark period it sucks with Rg3 in there , it sucks with KC in there beck in there , Dmac in there , Rex in there , it sucks

now we have one pro bowl LT i am sure that long and moses should be ready next season so why cant a 2nd or 3rd round pick be used at c or g ? that would cost about 1/2 a mil a piece ?

shoot joe flacco won a super bowl because he had a good o/line but you think HOF qbs grow on trees . qbs need protection and we havent done enough to give it to them in the last decade or so

Dude, Im agreeing with you. We have the worst oline in the history of the league.. no scratch that since man crawled out of the primordial ooze. And have for the past 22 years. So sell out fix the line. Maybe at that point we will be able to get past its the line, its the line and start seeing the Skins do something/

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id prefer we upgrade foerster and develop long and moses. maybe sign a brian de la puente type free agent at center or ribeye steps up which would be great. or we could sign a mike iupati or ogbuehi in the first round which id be cool with. all im saying is the o line isnt good. in the next three years you seem to think its impossible for them to get good. chester and litch should eventually be upgraded. not saying that has to be this offseason but we should work towards getting better. maybe that means long steps up and is ready to start, then Boom upgrade, already an improvement over this year. i dont care how we upgrade the o line, develop what we have or draft or FA, i just would like to work towards improvement. i firmly believe foerster should be replaced after this season though.
and yes i know shark, its all the qbs fault, kirk and rg3 suck and they hold onto the ball way to long. when pockets collapse in the first half second of a play it means nothing to your selective brain. have i exaggerated during this post? yes. do you exaggerate what me and others on here say? yes.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id prefer we upgrade foerster and develop long and moses. maybe sign a brian de la puente type free agent at center or ribeye steps up which would be great. or we could sign a mike iupati or ogbuehi in the first round which id be cool with. all im saying is the o line isnt good. in the next three years you seem to think its impossible for them to get good. chester and litch should eventually be upgraded. not saying that has to be this offseason but we should work towards getting better. maybe that means long steps up and is ready to start, then Boom upgrade, already an improvement over this year. i dont care how we upgrade the o line, develop what we have or draft or FA, i just would like to work towards improvement. i firmly believe foerster should be replaced after this season though.
and yes i know shark, its all the qbs fault, kirk and rg3 suck and they hold onto the ball way to long. when pockets collapse in the first half second of a play it means nothing to your selective brain. have i exaggerated during this post? yes. do you exaggerate what me and others on here say? yes.

IN three years, I expect to be hearing the same thing I heard three years ago which is what Im still hearing today.

Year one, Figure out what you have

Year two.. get what you think you need.

Year three make your run

Its all starts with the LOS, rinse and repeat.

The only way I see this not being a repeating cycle no matter WHO is on the O-line is if one of our two Qbs shows the ability to be more than a streaky flash in the pan. Unfuck the Qb position and strangely enough I bet we end up with alot less bitching about the O-line.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IN three years, I expect to be hearing the same thing I heard three years ago which is what Im still hearing today.

Year three make your run

The only way I see this not being a repeating cycle no matter WHO is on the O-line is if one of our two Qbs shows the ability to be more than a streaky flash in the pan. Unfuck the Qb position and strangely enough I bet we end up with alot less bitching about the O-line.

Shark, its not an either/or thing. We need both. To dismiss our inadequate OL as only a function of RG3 not a good pocket passer is being disingenuous. No matter who the QB is, we need to strive for a better OL. Outside of Trent, we have never spent any significant resources on our OL. We always treated them as an after thought and attempted to backfill with journeymen and has beens. Dad is right. The key to a successful team is controlling the LOS AND having a productive, dependable QB. Right now, we have neither. We may have a QB for the future, but thats not a given. What we do know is that we don't have a solution for the OL.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Im agreeing with you. We have the worst oline in the history of the league.. no scratch that since man crawled out of the primordial ooze. And have for the past 22 years. So sell out fix the line. Maybe at that point we will be able to get past its the line, its the line and start seeing the Skins do something/
and now your exaggerating again, we dont have the worst o line in the history of the league and no one has said that. what we are saying is our o line sucks. with a shitty o line the offense will be shitty too. so we should build the o line. hopefully that involves long and moses developing. then all we need is one player. get that 90 million shit outta here.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shark must have been pissed when we drafted moses and long because apparently our o line isnt a problem

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Year three make your run

Unfuck the o line and strangely enough i bet we end up with alot less bitching about the Qb position.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, its not an either/or thing. We need both. To dismiss our inadequate OL as only a function of RG3 not a good pocket passer is being disingenuous. No matter who the QB is, we need to strive for a better OL. Outside of Trent, we have never spent any significant resources on our OL. We always treated them as an after thought and attempted to backfill with journeymen and has beens. Dad is right. The key to a successful team is controlling the LOS AND having a productive, dependable QB. Right now, we have neither. We may have a QB for the future, but thats not a given. What we do know is that we don't have a solution for the OL.

j_y.... Skins fans spend more time complaining about the o-line than almost ANY fanbase on the planet. Fanbases that actually have a QB I dont generally see this from. I agree we could use a bit more talent on the O-line. But after 20 years, I think the excuse grows tired considering i see teams with worse offensive line performances doing much better than our team consistently. But I give, I agree. we need to cut Chester, Polumbus and every other lineman not named trent Williams. Cut all the WRs and half the defense. Use every cap dollar to sign the biggest baddest pass blocking O-line ever assembled. And if we still suck after that, well atleast we will have something else to blame.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you seen tom brady and cam newton play this season? its hard for qbs to do much if their o line sucks. hey maybe rg3 and/or kirk could develop better if they're center and guards didnt get pushed back in their face all the time.