• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

how do we fix this ?

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
find an upgrade for haslett

One of the first changes for next is to dismiss Haslett. From day one the hiring of Haslett was a big mistake. It's was quit alarmimg when Gruden retained him. Now the Def was okay in 2012. Only one yr. Haslett consistently have weak DEF. The SKINS made this choice so I had to live with it. Haslett is not the only problem but he would be the first one to replace. We lost Hall which contributes to the poor DEF effort but were a bad DEF before Hall's injury. We just need an average Def not one of the worst Def in the league.

We need to improve in ST also. Most of the times when you win 2 of the 3 areas DEF,ST's or OFF your team have a chance to win.

OFF line needs to be address through the draft. As the way stands now the Skins should get select the top OFF lineman in next yr's draft.

Another area which needs improvement is TO's. We play like a bad team. Isn't it remarkable how our Skin's will take something good and make it bad. The one step forward and two steps back. Key example Paulsen fumble in the red zone vs Philly. The KOR vs Philly etc. I mean just horrible stuff.

I know it is early and our Skins should improve with patience because we are in the infancy stage of rebuilding, so we as fans should ready for some growing pains for the time being.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal... my son is 22 and since 1999 I have seen certain posters who proclaimed our line was garbage year in and year out. remember Im one who thinks we have what should be an average line, but other issues make them look worse than they are. Im just agreeing with the prevailing thought line here that our Qbs have failed because the line sucked.

OK - thought so (although you must admit it is a bit hard to follow your logic since there is so much sarcasm in your posts). I think that most here would agree that there is mutual blame for both areas & again give it the next few months before coming to absolute conclusions in either area.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that everyone is jumping on the O-line right now. Granted - they definitely need to address that area. However - by no means were they the main ones responsible for the last two losses. They were without blame in the Eagles game & that one primarily falls on the horrible secondary.

The Giants loss was mainly the result of poor coverage (this time by LBs as well as DBs) and just a flat our horrible second half by the QB. I realize that part of this supports your argument Shark - just trying to clarify the situation.

I would also not be so quick to dismiss both QBs - they need at least the rest of the season before deciding to get rid of one or both. The majority of the NFL consists of QBs that have several horrible games during the season (heck Foles didn't look good today). You may be right that they both should go elsewhere but please give it a bit of time. If neither works out it will make the Redskins rebuild that much tougher.

Socal.... if every player were held to the same level of accountability by the team as well as the fan base, you likely wouldnt hear much from me. But I have over the years seen way to many excuses made for certain players, mostly QBs, while blaming every other aspect of the team. I have always been of the mindset that the guy who generally touches the ball the most should be held to the highest standard on the team. Others have been telling me for years dont raise the bar, lower expectations.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to improve in ST also. Most of the times when you win 2 of the 3 areas DEF,ST's or OFF your team have a chance to win.

Since the Redskins didn't play today I paid more attention that usual to other games. It is amazing how many teams I witnessed where their kicker booted the kickoff either out of the endzone or deep enough where there was no return.

This is a rarity for the Redskins & as a result introduces the risk of a long return. I realize that this also falls on the coverage team, but this should not even be a factor. It has been this way for several years now. When is this damn team going to realize that minimizing returns should be a priority (heck - might have cost them the Eagles game).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Redskins didn't play today I paid more attention that usual to other games. It is amazing how many teams I witnessed where their kicker booted the kickoff either out of the endzone or deep enough where there was no return.

This is a rarity for the Redskins & as a result introduces the risk of a long return. I realize that this also falls on the coverage team, but this should not even be a factor. It has been this way for several years now. When is this damn team going to realize that minimizing returns should be a priority (heck - might have cost them the Eagles game).

Agreed. But apparently having a kicker who has made 19 of his last 19 kicks when the game wasnt on the line matters more than giving teams excellent return chances and doinking one off the upright when the game IS on the line.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Socal.... if every player were held to the same level of accountability by the team as well as the fan base, you likely wouldnt hear much from me. But I have over the years seen way to many excuses made for certain players, mostly QBs, while blaming every other aspect of the team. I have always been of the mindset that the guy who generally touches the ball the most should be held to the highest standard on the team. Others have been telling me for years dont raise the bar, lower expectations.

No - I am not challenging you in terms of criticizing the QBs - they deserve it & I have said as much in other posts. I would just wait for the balance of the season before coming to a conclusion in terms of roster moves for next season. A lot can happen between now and then. I would also not assume that we know exactly what the Redskins will do over the offseason in any of these areas.

Every player, coach & FO member of the Redskins is fair game for criticism at this point. However - you never know - they could also look not so bad by mid-Nov - TBD. After 3-13 last season it probably was foolish to expect a true contender this season but certainly we all should expect better than what we saw on Thu. Time for some of these guys to at least show something in the next 5-6 weeks.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No - I am not challenging you in terms of criticizing the QBs - they deserve it & I have said as much in other posts. I would just wait for the balance of the season before coming to a conclusion in terms of roster moves for next season. A lot can happen between now and then. I would also not assume that we know exactly what the Redskins will do over the offseason in any of these areas.

Every player, coach & FO member of the Redskins is fair game for criticism at this point. However - you never know - they could also look not so bad by mid-Nov - TBD. After 3-13 last season it probably was foolish to expect a true contender this season but certainly we all should expect better than what we saw on Thu. Time for some of these guys to at least show something in the next 5-6 weeks.

I hoped for a contender, I expected competence. the more I see from Rg3, the more I see MV2.0 and Cousins is entirely too streaky. When he is good he is deadly. When he is bad, he spirals into a black hole and takes the team with him. I will settle for not being blown out next Sunday. I really think over the past few years we have made it all about the QB, and yet make too many excuses for them in the same breath. Give this exact same team to a few select Qbs in the league ( and yes i even include Romo and Eli in that list) and this team would be no worse than 2-2 right now, and more likely 3-1.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should improve but inconsistency in all 3 areas will eventually be one one the ultimate problems during the infancy stages of rebuilding yr's. However what is larking in the background is this bad team behavior has been going on for some time. Rather disturbing.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that everyone is jumping on the O-line right now. Granted - they definitely need to address that area. However - by no means were they the main ones responsible for the last two losses. They were without blame in the Eagles game & that one primarily falls on the horrible secondary.

The Giants loss was mainly the result of poor coverage (this time by LBs as well as DBs) and just a flat our horrible second half by the QB. I realize that part of this supports your argument Shark - just trying to clarify the situation.

I would also not be so quick to dismiss both QBs - they need at least the rest of the season before deciding to get rid of one or both. The majority of the NFL consists of QBs that have several horrible games during the season (heck Foles didn't look good today). You may be right that they both should go elsewhere but please give it a bit of time. If neither works out it will make the Redskins rebuild that much tougher.

its not that we are all the sudden jumping on the o line, thats just what caused the most debate. Skinsdad talked about basically everything in his original post. I bring up Haslett and some o linemen and boom its an o linemen thread. Haslett could definitely have his own thread but we've discussed him in the past so that would be nothing new.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But apparently having a kicker who has made 19 of his last 19 kicks when the game wasnt on the line matters more than giving teams excellent return chances and doinking one off the upright when the game IS on the line.
the best two available were henery, who the lions signed. Missed a FG today. And the other was bironas. So this is another off season fix. I would be for having two kickers this year.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So like I said dude, I hope we sell out to fix the o-line next year. get rid of this excuse. And if we still suck.

A franchise Qb with a sucky line= an average team that you cant count out.

A sucky line with an over rated Qb= talking about next year after game 4 of this season.

We have been option #2 since my son was in diapers.. and he just graduated college.

It always goes back to RG3 for you. As I said earlier, it appears you don't want to upgrade the OL due to some skewed thinking that it masks RG3's deficiencies and gives him a chance to develop and succeed as a pocket passer. And, yes, I know you say you agree, but we all know you are being sarcastic. We don't have to sell out to upgrade the line. No one but you mentioned spending $90M on the unit. Look at how Dallas did it. They finally spend some draft resources on the unit. They now have one of the best offenses in the league and its all due primarily to one of the best OLs in the league.

I guess I really can't figure out logically why you oppose the simple notion of upgrading a sup par part of our team. Is your disdain for RG3 that strong that you would rather see the skins remain in the cellar than upgrade the OL and risk the chance that RG3 (or KC) might have time to develop into a franchise QB? Should we also not upgrade our S position since we have been complaining about that unit for years also? Is blaming the piss poor Safeties we have had in here over the last 6-8 years just an excuse for poor LB play?

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Dallas 3-1. Hmmm.. Oh yeah they drafted Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zach Martin in 3 of the last 4 1st round picks, and they have committed themselves to running the ball. Remember how everyone laughed because they reached for Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick? No one is laughing at those picks now.

Their secondary is down to almost practice squad levels, but with their rebuilt defensive line and a great coordinator like Marinelli, they have done a great job in getting through it.

Offensive line. Run the ball. So many good things happen when you have those 2 things in place.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always goes back to RG3 for you. As I said earlier, it appears you don't want to upgrade the OL due to some skewed thinking that it masks RG3's deficiencies and gives him a chance to develop and succeed as a pocket passer. And, yes, I know you say you agree, but we all know you are being sarcastic. We don't have to sell out to upgrade the line. No one but you mentioned spending $90M on the unit. Look at how Dallas did it. They finally spend some draft resources on the unit. They now have one of the best offenses in the league and its all due primarily to one of the best OLs in the league.

I guess I really can't figure out logically why you oppose the simple notion of upgrading a sup par part of our team. Is your disdain for RG3 that strong that you would rather see the skins remain in the cellar than upgrade the OL and risk the chance that RG3 (or KC) might have time to develop into a franchise QB? Should we also not upgrade our S position since we have been complaining about that unit for years also? Is blaming the piss poor Safeties we have had in here over the last 6-8 years just an excuse for poor LB play?

j_y... it goes back to we havent had a QB worth two squirts of used beer in over 20 years and I have seen people making the same excuses for the bums we have had under center time and time again. Rg3 is just the latest in the list of Qbs excuses have been made for. Im not apposed to upgrading the line. Im just tired of the line being the excuse dejour for our mistakes at Qb time and time again.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How to fix Washington's problems...

for starters how about Johnny Finger for Kirk Cousins!?!?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree 90 million is a far cry for what we need to do. We have some guys who should be given a chance (Moses, Long). They are young, and still deserve a little time. Now, the other bums from 3 years ago... Forget it. Anyone thinking that Ribeye or Compton will be much more than a backup or mediocre starter is foolish. They have had their opportunity, and while you certainly don't cut them until someone better is in place, you have to believe the time has passed for them. Either you have it or you don't.

Dallas' OL went from being the laughing stock of league a few years ago to one of the best today. How did they do it... Easy, drafted OL in the first round. You should be able to get a day one starting tackle with a 1st and a Day 1 starting G or C with your 2nd.

If the OL doesn't start to show some major improvement, I think you seriously think OL and secondary with the first 3 picks of the draft.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that Dan Snyder is the root cause of all the troubles over the years. If only there was a way to get rid of him.

Only time I really respected anything he's done was that South Park episode where he took on the Dallas Cowboys by himself.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't we cover this in the other thread? A kick with over 10 minutes to play is not a kick 'with the game on the line". I'm not sure why you keep pulling that card because nobody would agree that a play with 10 minutest to go is a play with the game on the line.

Dad posted his stats in truly game deciding situations such as OT and he was great.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hoped for a contender, I expected competence. the more I see from Rg3, the more I see MV2.0 and Cousins is entirely too streaky. When he is good he is deadly. When he is bad, he spirals into a black hole and takes the team with him. I will settle for not being blown out next Sunday. I really think over the past few years we have made it all about the QB, and yet make too many excuses for them in the same breath. Give this exact same team to a few select Qbs in the league ( and yes i even include Romo and Eli in that list) and this team would be no worse than 2-2 right now, and more likely 3-1.

Again - give them a bit more time before forming a total conclusion. Not saying that they will be great by that time but either of them may be able to redeem themselves somewhat. Also - people seem to be going way overboard based on one game. No doubt your conclusion would have been different after the Eagles game & who knows - performances over the next 5-6 games my change your opinion somewhat.

Interesting that you make the comparison to Eli & Romo. Both of them have had bad years in the past & are seasoned vets so the comparison is not valid at this time. Also - both of them have better overall weapons & coaching staffs that have been in place longer. You need to give Gruden & staff more time before jumping all over them. Did you really expect that they were going to have everythign in order after week 4?

Again - a lot of what you are stating may be correct, but we need a larger sample. Trust me - I realize that it is frustrating as a Redskins fan, but we have to give this team more time.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we cover this in the other thread? A kick with over 10 minutes to play is not a kick 'with the game on the line". I'm not sure why you keep pulling that card because nobody would agree that a play with 10 minutest to go is a play with the game on the line.

Dad posted his stats in truly game deciding situations such as OT and he was great.

Just to clarify - that was Shark's reply not mine. Lol - the way you posted it makes it appear otherwise.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow - my bad. This board seems to be messed up at the current time & is not posting replies correctly via the Quote feature. Skinsdad & other mods - any idea what in the world is going on to cause this issue?