• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I went for a four day hike into the Olympic National Park in the Sol Duc river basin. I got very nauseous and fatigued, couldn't complete the 5100 ft elevation gain, so I had to turn around and crawl out on day 3. Got home with a 102.8 degree fever and couldn't eat for the last two days! Stupid of me to try such a tough one at my age and in my shape. But still very beautiful amongst the giants!
20220925_163645.jpg

....but back to horror!

Ben (1972)-

A sequel to the previous year's Willard that I reviewed here a few weeks back. In this one the main "bad guy" rat Ben from the first movie has escaped and is befriended by an annoying genius kid with a heart condition. Ben gathers a new army of rats and they periodically attack people that are trying to kill them, or to get food. Eventually things erupt into human vs rats chaos, before sitting up a sequel that never happens ending.
It sounds overly simplistic and it kinda is, but it isn't horrible. They do a better job with the rat attacks this time around, and the slightly higher budget is apparent. The kid is the main protagonist, and while he isn't bad, he is annoying with his pleading soliloquies to a rat. It certainly worked better with the crazed Willard as the main focus in the original. Some decent kills in the midst of people often doing stupid things.

The reviews were mixed, and I can't disagree. 5 outta 10 from me.

Weirdly, the sappy theme song Ben was Michael Jackson's first #1 solo hit! I respect Jackson but am not a big fan of his. In fact I prefer the very bizarre version Crispin Glover did in his remake of Willard in 2003.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I went for a four day hike into the Olympic National Park in the Sol Duc river basin. I got very nauseous and fatigued, couldn't complete the 5100 ft elevation gain, so I had to turn around and crawl out on day 3. Got home with a 102.8 degree fever and couldn't eat for the last two days! Stupid of me to try such a tough one at my age and in my shape. But still very beautiful amongst the giants!
View attachment 310013
West Nile? Hope you're feeling better man. Never really been up in that area. Took a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria once but that was the closest I got up into that area. I've heard great things about that area though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think we need our very own @returnofjakedog to fact check this... But maybe we wait until next month when Halloween Kills drops to get an update on the Kill Counts! Got a lot of new material over the last couple years for Michael Myers, Chucky, & Ghostface. Heck I think there were even a couple really good fan films to incorporate for Jason, if we want to consider them.

Jason killed thousands in JasonX... And didn't pinhead kill like 400 in Hell On Earth?

Last edited:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think we need our very own @returnofjakedog to fact check this... But maybe we wait until next month when Halloween Kills drops to get an update on the Kill Counts! Got a lot of new material over the last couple years for Michael Myers, Chucky, & Ghostface. Heck I think there were even a couple really good fan films to incorporate for Jason, if we want to consider them.

Jason killed thousands in JasonX... And didn't pinhead kill like 400 in Hell On Earth?

Damn. I'll try, but more math work?!?

PS: I decided indirect kills, and discussed but not shown kills don't count in my list. So I need to adjust the previous list in regards to the Invisible Man, and the Jason X stuff doesn't count either.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Nile? Hope you're feeling better man. Never really been up in that area. Took a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria once but that was the closest I got up into that area. I've heard great things about that area though.
If you were in PA you were less than an hour drive from the trailhead of where that pic was taken!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were in PA you were less than an hour drive from the trailhead of where that pic was taken!
Wait, PA? I was thinkin you were in WA! Wrong side of the continent lol

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Watcher on Shudder. Super slow burn, probably would have been better as an episode on some anthology series. Not bad but they really stretched this one to get it to 80 mins. Worth a watch if you're desperate. Maika Monroe from It Follows was the lead so like to see her sticking with horror.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Night of the Living Deb (2015)-

A quirky redhead chick wakes up next to her pretty boy one night stand in the midst of a zombie outbreak in Maine.

A mixed bag. Some funny writing, and the main characters are good (Deb is annoying but also kinda enduring despite too much internal monologing), but the overall leans too far into the comedy realm and leaves the horror as secondary. Fxs are ok but minimal. Zombies are not much of a threat unless they need them to be.
The great Ray Wise isn't given enough to do so he just kinda low effort hams it up. Most other characters over-the-top comedy it to slightly ill effect.

Made for $106k via a kickstarter campaign. Slightly above average SyFy channel level quality.

5 outta 10 and that might be a tad generous. Not bad, but not enough horror and nothing new to recommend.

Office Uprising (2018)-

A weapons company full of obnoxious workers becomes a battleground when a disgruntled lab employee distributes a cola that turns people violent (yet not wholly unthinking, just 75% or so stupidier). A small group of protagonists try to fight their way out.

Another in the recently semi-popular "office horror" genre (The Belko Experiment, Mayhem), but this one isn't so great. It has some decent production values, and is professionally shot and made. However they try to make the lead a Ferris Buehler clone and he is just more annoying (imo) than a relatable slacker. The 2 main side characters are also annoying. I was wishing death on the whining best friend pacifist character for most of the run time.
The office setting is well done enough, and the different departments essentially becoming roaming gangs bent on domination is funny. Zachary Levi (the main guy from the Chuck tv series, and more recently played the lead in Shazaam) is the standout as the unhinged accounting team lead. He is pretty good in this!
Some decent fxs, but mostly average cgi.

This one annoyed me because of the laissez faire lead, which is the writer's and director's fault more than the actor. The entire direction they decided to take with this is misguided at best.

Well done enough for what it is, but any movie where I openly root for the main antagonist and hope the protagonists all die a hot death has a big problem.

Technically probably a bit better than the Night of the Living Deb but the story and execution failed.
4.5 to 5 outta 10 range.

Mr. Shickadance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine I'll admit it, I've never seen a Nightmare on Elm Street movie (I have seen Freddy vs Jason).
giphy.gif