• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine I'll admit it, I've never seen a Nightmare on Elm Street movie (I have seen Freddy vs Jason).
-Watch the original. It has a few issues, such as budget in a few fxs shots, but it is dark and creepy. Englund is in top form and the story is great. Best of the lot.

-If you don't mind a bit more humor tossed in, then Part 3, Dream Warriors is pretty good. The strongest protagonists of the franchise.

-Wes Craven's A New Nightmare is also good but a bit of a different creature. It tells the story of a Freddy demon haunting the persons making NMoES movies. It is quite meta and acts as a precursor to Scream in it's tone and methods.

Those are the 3 I think are good movies. Beyond that it is hit and miss at best.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do a huge home haunt every year and I bought a yellow sleeping bag just to go with our Jason mannequin this year lol. It will be interesting to see how many people get the reference.
Nice!

You should do a double-shot and add the Prophecy sleeping bag scene in which a giant hairless mutant bear covered in spaghetti sauce attacks a camper......

It pre-dates the Friday the 13th attack!

Speaking of which, the Friday the 13th attack was originally a bunch of hits to the tree but was a forced cut down to the single hit by the ratings board.

Bring the full Jason sleeping bag beating back!! We want to see the whole thing!

Mr. Shickadance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!

You should do a double-shot and add the Prophecy sleeping bag scene in which a giant hairless mutant bear covered in spaghetti sauce attacks a camper......

It pre-dates the Friday the 13th attack!

Speaking of which, the Friday the 13th attack was originally a bunch of hits to the tree but was a forced cut down to the single hit by the ratings board.

Bring the full Jason sleeping bag beating back!! We want to see the whole thing!
Prophecy! Good lord I haven't seen that movie in forever lol.

It may be the Mandela Effect in well, effect, but I do recall there being multiple swings against the tree.

Release the Buechler Cut!!

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prophecy! Good lord I haven't seen that movie in forever lol.

It may be the Mandela Effect in well, effect, but I do recall there being multiple swings against the tree.

Release the Buechler Cut!!

It has some additional sleeping bag kills, but you get the just of it!

........but the cries for more John Carl Buechler are pretty hiliarious! A great fxs guy (Seriously, some great credits!) but his director credits (largely with Charles Band production) are questionable at best.

"From the director who brought us Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College......."

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do a huge home haunt every year and I bought a yellow sleeping bag just to go with our Jason mannequin this year lol. It will be interesting to see how many people get the reference.
I'm going to need to see pictures of this!

Mr. Shickadance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to need to see pictures of this!
Here is a link to a pic of our Jason mannequin from last year's setup. I'm relocating him to a different spot in the backyard this year, but once I have him setup with the sleeping bag I'll share pics of it!

Jason 2021

We have more pics and videos on our Facebook page too:

The Watkins Dead & Breakfast

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a link to a pic of our Jason mannequin from last year's setup. I'm relocating him to a different spot in the backyard this year, but once I have him setup with the sleeping bag I'll share pics of it!

Jason 2021

We have more pics and videos on our Facebook page too:

The Watkins Dead & Breakfast
Wow dude you are a clear cut above the rest! Bravo! I aspire to be on at least half the level you are...

Mr. Shickadance

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow dude you are a clear cut above the rest! Bravo! I aspire to be on at least half the level you are...
Thank you!

We moved there in 2013 and have been steadily adding on ever year since. We officially became The Watkins Dead & Breakfast in 2015.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at buying the same costume online from Spirit. My wife vetoed it though and asked me to pick the vampire because it matched her outfit more :/
Buy it from Walmart & save $20… Spirit charges around $50.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.......as always, a bit behind the times, but......
Squid Game (2022)- Season 1

So a mysterious group dressed in PlayStation controller button cosplay round up hundreds of degenerate gamblers and embezzlers, and "force" them to play a series of children's games with potentially deadly outcomes.
We mostly follow Seong, a drunken chauffeur who gambles away all of his mother's money and generally ignores his daughter who lives with his ex. Seong's financial issues lead him to play in the "Squid Games" with literally hundreds of millions at stake.

The good:
*Very well done in generally all aspects of production. The writing, direction, character development, fxs, etc are all solid to very good.
This is a big blanket statement but let me reiterate that I have high praise for the vast majority of the series.
*It is pretty damn brutal at times.

The bad:
*It is South Korean so the usual warnings regarding dubbing/subtitles apply.
*It is a bit all over the place. Instead of answers we get more questions. Of course this was only Season 1 so we need more "mystery" but I am kinda getting an "Uh oh, Lost" vibe from it.

The lack of answers and the sometimes nonsensical events that happen can be frustrating. I am just pinning my hopes on there being viable explanations coming in the future.

I also immediately called the "twist". It still works in the confines of the story but it immediately stood out to me.

Is it even horror though? It falls into the dystopian sci-fi with serious horror overtones imo.

I'll go a cautious 7.5 to 8 outta 10 range. I'd go a bit higher if they cleaned up the story a bit and provided some viable answers to the weirdness. Presumably we will get some of that going forward?

It falls into the genre catagory with the likes of Cube, Platform, Exam, Circle, etc.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro... I'd make sure I was the one doin the impaling

jim carrey GIF

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, Madman (1989)-

A flighty bookstore employee reads a book about a mad doctor who kills people and sews parts of their faces back onto his damaged visage. Unfortunately her reading the book brings out the doc in a real life killing spree.

This one has a conceptually cool story, but the execution is a bit wonky with the low budget, sometimes questionable acting, and a kinda unfocused storyline.

I was excited to see Jenny Wright, who played the seductive vampire in Near Dark, a flirty groupie in The Wall (the Empty Spaces/Young Lust segment), etc as the lead but her character doesn't have a lot of depth here.

The good-
*A cool story with an interesting (but underdeveloped) bad guy.
*Some nice fxs, particulary on the bad guy himself, and cool stop motion demon stuff. The director Tibor Takacs made the cult classic The Gate, and the stop motion stuff here is similar but more limited.
*A creepy noir feeling mostly works.

The bad-
*Acting isn't always great.
*Story is solid but the progression isn't always smooth. The what and why of what is happening is sometimes a but unclear.
*The budget constraints bring a cheap late 80s feel to it.

I don't recall that I've ever even heard of this one before, but it gets a ton of love in the IMDB user reviews, and while I understand why this is I can't 100% agree with all of it as I feel that ignores the issues.

The disfigured fictional razorblade slashing lovesick doctor brought to life through the book is pretty awesome but has little backstory, and his motivation makes no sense (unless you just use the "He's crazy" defense). He appears to be some sort of blended amalgamation between the author and the character(?) but I am unclear on the specifics.

I'll go 6 outta 10 area. That might be a bit high considering the flaws, but there is some fun stuff in the midst.

This one falls into "Do a remake" catagory for me. A lot of potential to make something much better! But still worth a watch for the hardcores.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried watching the new Hellraiser movie on Hulu.

The key word in that sentence is 'Tried'.