• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Sy Fy hasn't been having a lot of the corny shit I love so much the last year or so....so I have been posting horror related memes....

Still a contributing member!!!!!

And a little drunk on Voodoo Rangers.....LOL.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watching All of Us Are Dead on Netflix? It's a South Korean zombie series. Not sure what to think of it right now.
All of Us are Dead (2022)-

Yes, more Korean zombie stuff!

This one is about a city getting overrun by a zombie outbreak, with a heavy focus on students at the big local high school.

A crazed science teacher runs experiments to try to keep his family alive, but unwittingly unleashes a highly infectious zombie virus. The virus starts spreading through the school and also gets into the local hospital. Things quickly collapse into chaos as we follow several storylines around the area. Also the virus mutates so we have a few sentient zombies wandering around.

This is a tough one to grade, as much like the recently reviewed Kingdom it has some of the very best zombie stuff ever put to film, but you also have to deal with a large amount of realistic and annoying teenage drama as the kids spend all of the time they are not fighting zombies bitching at each other and acting like the teens that they are. At 12 episodes/hours, I ended up fast forwarding through sections of whiny teen angst bullshit to get to the great zombie attack scenes.

The good:
*High production values. Well shot, directed, scored, edited, etc. Time and money were put into this.
*Tons of teeth clacking, twitchy zombie hordes! Great zombie fxs and choreographed action attacks.
I will reiterate that this is up there with Kingdom, Train to Busan, 28 Days Later, 28 Months Later with not only the quality of the zombie stuff, but also the quantity.

The bad:
*Mostly the teenage drama and dialogue, but also a few kinda comic relief characters are unnecessary. But the teen stuff is mind-numbingly annoying at times.
*The story itself has tons of action but drags a bit moving itself forward with exposition and character interaction stuff.
*As with all of the non-English foreign films you have to deal with dubbing and/or subtitles.

As mentioned, this one is tough to grade. The zombie stuff is great with lots of blood, gore, and action. But the teenagers doung teenage stuff is unbearable at times. I give to zombie stuff 8.5 to 9, but the filler inbetween can range from an effective and somewhat interesting 6.5ish area, to a 4ish annoying teen crap. Because of this I'll go 7 - 7.5 outta 10 area overall.

If you are going to watch it, I recommend following my lead and keep your thumb on the fast forward button. The entire 1st episode can almost be skipped as there is some important character introductions, but just too much teen drama to deal with.

Also of note, while Kingdom also has some of the best zombie stuff ever, it has a strong focus on giant horde attacks. This one is slightly scaled back in the high school halls and classes settings. It still has hordes, but it does allow more individual situations. Both series have great attack choreography in their own ways.

Last edited:

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrifier 2 - Release date October 6th

Alright!
Admittedly I fanboyed out over the original Terrifier and gave it a waaaayy too high rating here as I frickin loved Art the Clown. But it was barely a movie with little story or character development, and the low budget was pretty obvious. I think I gave it around an 8 outta 10, when the reality is that it was probably closer to a 6 to 6.5 and that is with Art adding 1 to 1.5 points to the total.

But this one is supposed to be much more rounded out, with actual protagonists, overall upgraded quality, and a 2 hour and 20 minute run time. Most importantly they say the gore and kills are seriously ramped up as despite this actually being a movie, it still remains a bit of a showcase for Art's killing sprees.

Hopefully it is as good as the early word of mouth!

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barbarian was good.

Third act was a bit weak, with the "mom" in full view, but the movie was very good overall
Just put it on, preview looked decent

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halfway through "DAHMER - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story", and really liking this. The show is a bit of a slow burner, but knows how to build tension. Evan Peters is disturbingly good in this role.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
59329ea4db6627475bc1c8004a05270aa3c868ce9e5aa0b3fe1771612a516b42_1.webp

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halfway through "DAHMER - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story", and really liking this. The show is a bit of a slow burner, but knows how to build tension. Evan Peters is disturbingly good in this role.

I was floored when I heard about this casting... I'm a HUGE fan of Evan Peters and he's such a perfect fit for this role.

Haven't started watching this yet but will be soon!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that they go the psychological horror route as opposed to the gore route.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I posed this question but it's worth revisiting. Who gets the top spot for 21st Century horror directors? Mike Flanagan, James Wan or Other?

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrifier 2 - Release date October 6th

Alright!
Admittedly I fanboyed out over the original Terrifier and gave it a waaaayy too high rating here as I frickin loved Art the Clown. But it was barely a movie with little story or character development, and the low budget was pretty obvious. I think I gave it around an 8 outta 10, when the reality is that it was probably closer to a 6 to 6.5 and that is with Art adding 1 to 1.5 points to the total.

But this one is supposed to be much more rounded out, with actual protagonists, overall upgraded quality, and a 2 hour and 20 minute run time. Most importantly they say the gore and kills are seriously ramped up as despite this actually being a movie, it still remains a bit of a showcase for Art's killing sprees.

Hopefully it is as good as the early word of mouth!

Seems like I've been waiting for this one forever.

It was supposed to be released like two years ago, but production kept getting pushed back due to covid.

Hard to imagine them topping the gore from the first one in terms of psychological effect. Just the sequence with the disfigured woman at the beginning was pretty fucked up.

Not sure about the 2 hour 20 minute running time for the sequel. It seems a bit excessive for a relatively low-budget slasher, like they're going for an Oscar or something.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I posed this question but it's worth revisiting. Who gets the top spot for 21st Century horror directors? Mike Flanagan, James Wan or Other?
I think Flanagan has to be #1 based on the quality and quantity. He has put out a lot and it is invariably good. But there are many solid directors that deserve some consideration.
Wan would certainly be a considered for the top spot if you included production credits.

As director:
*Mike Flanagan-
Movies: Absentia, Oculus, Hush, Before I Wake, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Gerald's Game, Doctor Sleep. Series: The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor, Midnight Mass. Also has upcoming series The Midnight Club, The Fall of the House of Usher, and Something is Killing the Children.

*James Wan-
Movies: Saw, Dead Silence, Insidious, Insidious: Chapter 2, The Conjuring, The Conjuring 2, Malignant. He also has non-horror credits such as Furious 7, Aquaman, and an upcoming Aquaman sequel.
Wan also has a very large list of horror movie producer credits that includes 7 more Saw movies, 8 Annabelle/The Nun/the Conjuring sequels/the Insidious sequels, Demonic, Lights Out, etc.

*Guillermo Del Toro-
Movies- The Devil's Backbone, Blade 2, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy:The Golden Army, Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, The Shape of Water, Nightmare Alley.
Note that I didn't include his pre-21st century work here.
Also has tv series that include The Strain, several Trollhunters/Tales From Arcadia series, and the upcoming Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.

*Jordon Peele-
Movies: Get Out, Us, Nope
He also has production credits on the Candyman remake, and Wendell and Wild, and produced the sucessful Twilight Zone reboot.
Of course he started as a comedian and also has a some comedy films under his belt.

*Eli Roth-
Movies: Cabin Fever, Hostel, Hostel 2, The Green Inferno, Knock Knock.
Like Wan, he also has an extensive producer/writer credit list. Additionally he seems to lately be moving away from horror and is doing more sci fi/fantasy stuff.

*Karyn Kusma-
Movies: Jennifer's Body, The Invitation, XX (segmant Her Only Living Son) Destroyer.
She also has an extensive non-horror tv credit list, and a few non-horror movies.

*The Soska Twins-
Ah yes, the "Twisted Twin" sisters!
Movies: Dead Hooker in a Trunk, American Mary, See No Evil 2, ABC's of Death (segment) and a remake of Cronenberg's Rabid.
They also have a bunch of producer and writer credits. They started in comic book movies and have written quite a bit for Marvel. Lastly of note is their actor credits as they have appeared in at least 12 feature films to this point.

*Robert Eggers-
Movies: The Witch, The Lighthouse, The Northman.
Eggers hasn't directed many feature films to this point but he also writes and produces his features. Additionally he has some short films, and a long history as a Production Designer. He is a bit of a "critical darling" as his 3 main features are all very highly rated.

*Ana Lily Amirpour-
Movies: A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The Bad Batch, Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon.
Additionally she has been busy directing episodes for horror series such as Legion, Castle Rock, The Twilight Zone, Briarpatch, and the upcoming (in less than a month) Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.

*Ari Aster-
Movies: Hereditary, Midsommer, and the upcoming Disappointment Blvd.
Much like his good friend Robert Eggers, Ari's list of films isn't long but are highly lauded by critics. He might also be the youngest on the list at only 36.

*Adam Wingard-
Movies: You're Next, The Guest, Blair Witch (remake), Death Note, Godzilla vs Kong, upcoming Godzilla vs Kong sequel.
He also has a bunch of low budget stuff from pre-You're Next.
Additionally, he has acted not only as director but also producer, writer, cinematographer, editor, cameraman, music composer, etc on a bunch of his works but that has narrowed as the budgets have increased

*Fede Alvarez-
Movies- the Evil Dead remake, Don't Breathe, The Girl in the Spider's Web.
He also did episodes of From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series, and has produced the likes of Don't Breathe 2, and the latest Texas Chainsaw Massacre reboot.
Being from Argentina, Fede only broke into the USA market a few years ago.

*Jennifer Kent-
Movies: Monster, The Babadook, The Nightingale.
She also has episodes of the upcoming
Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.
Interestingly, she has way more acting credits than directing to this point, but it seems that is shifting.

Others of note include Ti West, Rob Zombie, the Radio Silence collective, Leigh Janiak, Alice Waddington, Issa Lopez, Isa Mazzei & Daniel Goldhaber, Pascal Laugier, Andy Muschietti, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Nicolas Pesce, Anna Biller, Agnieszka Smoczynska, Peter Strickland, and others. They probably all deserve their own synopsis but I've just run out of steam!