• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol! That is just wrong!!
Yeah, Winnie the Pooh is public domain now, at least the name, the look of the characters I.e Pooh’s red shirt etc…is still owned by Disney as far as I know but this film does not look very good (I think I read it was filmed in 10 days).

I’m pretty sure Mickey Mouse at least the name is public domain in a few years, I’m sure some film enthusiasts will also jump on that opportunity.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Company of Wolves (1984)-

A young girl in the present day has a fitful dream in which she is essentially a Little Red Riding Hood character who hangs out in her medieval village with her grandmother. Her grandmother tells her several stories about wolves, and she also lives out a strange version of the fairy tale, which somehow seeps back into her modern day reality(?) (It isn't supposed to make sense.)
Everything plays like the literal fever dream that it is supposed to represent. Lots of strange stuff happening with lots of interesting fxs, and cool slow motion shots of weirdness.

Angela Lansbury and David Warner do solid turns as the girl's dream grandmather and father respectively. A 14 year old Sarah Patterson plays the Red Riding Hood role with the necessary wide-eyed innocence but she never blinks her big eyes, which I found a bit unnerving.

I'm not overly familiar with director Neil Jordan's filmography but I have seen The Crying Game (forced to by a gf back in the day), and Interview with the Vampire (also High Spirits, but that one kinda sucked). He seems to be more well known as a novelist/screenwriter than a director. What might be more interesting is the fxs, which are led by Christopher Tucker who did The Elephant Man and the original Star Wars. There are some awesome fxs as they rip flesh and expose muscle tissue in the many transformation scenes. They used a bunch of animatronics in a 6 stage fx for the big Huntsman transformations (weirdly the Huntsman and the Wolf are the same character here) which is both pretty cool, but also too recognizable as animatronics at times.
The story itself is a mish-mash of cautionary tales that boil down "young lady, beware of men 'cause they want to take your innocence" There are also some cool fxs and fun stuff in the side tales.

Another one that I saw back in the day, but only vaguely remembered. It kinda comes off as a more dreamy feeling Hammer Film, or a Fulchi Italian giallo film in the foggy, slow motion ambiance. Lots of wolfie fxs, and a bit of violence but not a lot of gore beyond the transformations.

While I did enjoy it, the strange gothic feel and the intentionally unrealistic storyline can be a little up and down. Add to it some cool sets, and ambitious fxs that can feel both awesome and sometimes a bit cheap, and it is kinda a mixed bag. As far as '80s gothic horror goes, I liked it more than drug-addled Ken Russell's Gothic that I reviewed here awhile back.

About a 6.5 outta 10 area from me. An interesting watch. More fairy tale than horror but not necessarily in a bad way. Some fun stuff in the dreamy fog.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched The Cursed (2022 film). Pretty good take on a creature feature film. Reminded me quite a bit of VVitch. Can drag a little in areas but it still kept me entertained throughout the whole film - I was not skipping through parts and/or falling asleep. Great atmosphere/surrounding and some tense moments. Doesn't rely on stupid jump scares which is great and the music is pretty good. Effects are a LITTLE left to be desired but the creature is actually not shown that often (IMO a plus) so it's not bad.

Could definitely plug it in around Halloween for a re-watch. Again if you liked VVitch check this out.

Thought the first hour could have been condensed into 25 minutes. The first half of the movie drags but the last hour is great. Once the action finally gets going it's a wild ride.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought the first hour could have been condensed into 25 minutes. The first half of the movie drags but the last hour is great. Once the action finally gets going it's a wild ride.

Yah for sure. It's got some slow parts definitely, but I feel it's taking time setting up the atmosphere and suspense, so I don't find that too terrible. But end of day agreed, a bit slow in parts.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

children playing dreaming GIF

3,4 better lock your door
5,6 grab your crucifix
7,8 gonna stay up late
9,10 never sleep again

Creepy kids..........

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure y'all have talked about this, but the trailer for Smile has effectively gained my interest. Definitely an opening weekend watch.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure y'all have talked about this, but the trailer for Smile has effectively gained my interest. Definitely an opening weekend watch.
I hadn't seen it until now. It looks...........interesting.......

It potentially could be good, or laughably bad if the weird premise isn't handled well. Hopefully it lands on the good side!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day Shift (2022)

Not sure if this one really applies to the horror genre but it borders on horror/sci-fi comedy. There were sprinkles of cool creature fx in this one that made it semi-worthwhile. And of course, vamp flicks are usually welcome if they aren't the Twilight variety.

The movie opens with a great battle scene with horror elements that really vaults the expectations for this movie, which sadly doesn't quite live up to it... From that point on its a haphazard plot with bad dialogue & hit & miss comedy being forced on you. Dave Franco making a fool of himself to drive comedy felt cringeworthy at times. And Snoop Dogg as a cowboy & vamp killin badass just didn't work for me, even if it was supposed to be some sort of satire. Watching him mow down a vamp horde with a gatling gun like he was cutting grass was strange. It was supposed to be cool, but it just wasn't as cool as they thought it would be lol. Would have been way more badass if Jamie Foxx had done it. Overall the plot was pretty shallow. Simple backstories keep the plot moving, action sequences building to more action, but they didn't explore the antagonists much at all and just went for vague dialogue explanations. Serviceable yes, and in true Netflix fashion they aim for the not-so-deep, family-friendly movies for broader audiences.

Acting was ok, but the script was pretty bad. I like Jamie Foxx, but he's definitely a square peg and you really don't get much depth to him. Primarily plays the egotistical male lead in action & comedy films. It works best when he has a good script. Dave Franco as a primary source of comedy relief didn't work very well. I've liked him before in supporting roles, and even thought he did a great job in Nerve (2016), but I didn't care for him in this one. Casting a contortionist crew using people who performed in Cirque du Soleil was an odd choice. It worked well in the intro scene, giving us some crazy stunts, but it really started to get a little tiresome in the nest scene lol. The stunts just didn't quite feel as fluid anymore.

In all honesty, this movie far from a great watch, but its definitely one of those "no regrets" type of entertainment. The intro battle & nest battle scenes were worth it. Very cool action & hand-to-hand/weapon-to-hand combat choreography on display. It had enough fun to it to make it worthwhile.

Guilty Pleasure Vamp Action-Comedy... 5.5/10

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, apparently this happened last week:

While not a ton of his stuff made it to screen, but he was a great author, and the 1981 movie Ghost Story freaked me out when I was a kid.
-A scene where they drive through the spectral figure on the road (in the trailer) became a reoccuring theme in the nightmares of my youth.
-A scene where the car is sinking into the lake with the lady screaming and clawing at the back window has always stuck with me. (Also partly in the trailer)

Maybe we will see a few more of his works adapted for viewing at some point. I'm actually surprised that the novels he wrote with Stephen King are not done into movies yet.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched The Cursed (2022 film). Pretty good take on a creature feature film. Reminded me quite a bit of VVitch. Can drag a little in areas but it still kept me entertained throughout the whole film - I was not skipping through parts and/or falling asleep. Great atmosphere/surrounding and some tense moments. Doesn't rely on stupid jump scares which is great and the music is pretty good. Effects are a LITTLE left to be desired but the creature is actually not shown that often (IMO a plus) so it's not bad.

Could definitely plug it in around Halloween for a re-watch. Again if you liked VVitch check this out.

I'm going to have to re watch this one. Saw it in cinema but fell asleep. No indictment of the movie, its happened to me more times than I can count? I've had to go to a second viewing for several movies because of it.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen anyone mention Barbarian (2022) yet. Was a good (if not gross at times) watch.

Avoid reviews/spoilers.