• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How well does it work in combating spooks, spectres or ghosts?

No clue.....I was posting it for the old fucks who read this thread. To keep them watching Horror movies for many years to come.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue.....I was posting it for the old fucks who read this thread. To keep them watching Horror movies for many years to come.

Previous mentioned old fuck includes me......I'll be 45 in a few months. November 7th to be exact.

I accept gift cards, Visa and MC. At this time I do not accept Amex or Discover.....Oh, I also accept v-cash......can't forget that.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been partaking in the drink most of the week, but did catch a few movies in between. One semi-recent.

Nosferatu the Vampyre

The 1979 flick by Werner Herzog. Production wise I think it might have been a made for TV film. Pretty much the same story we've seen from Bram Stoker with the title character portrayed as he was in the original Nosferatu.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

As we all know, this was the last time we saw Freddy Kruger on the silver screen... I've probably seen it before, but it still seemed pretty new to me with a vague familiarity. I don't think I need to get in to any details on this one, just focused on Freddy doling out those one liners that the series progressed into.

What We Do in the Shadows

The only newer movie that will be here. Shot as a crew filming a house of vampires in order to make a documentary of their life. Done by Jemaine Clement from the Flight of the Conchords. It was well done and funny.

Prince of Darkness

College students in their 30s participate in studying something that they have no idea what it's about. Religious overtones in the story, the tension they try to build throughout the movie didn't really resonate with me, not bad, but no reason to go out of your way to find it.

Masters of Horror: John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns

An episode from the series and not a movie, so somewhat a quick hitter. Quite enjoyed this one. The plot is similar to the 9th Gate, but swap out rare book for rare movie and switch Depp and Langella with Reedus and Kier.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masters of Horror: John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns

An episode from the series and not a movie, so somewhat a quick hitter. Quite enjoyed this one. The plot is similar to the 9th Gate, but swap out rare book for rare movie and switch Depp and Langella with Reedus and Kier.

Good call on that Taddy!

The Masters of Horror series is a must see for any true horror fan. Quite possibly the best stand alone episode horror series ever done (unless you include The Twilight Zone in the horror catagory). Some really famous horror directors did episodes.

Some episodes were a bit coming for me (Homecoming- Joe Dante was too political to be effective as a horror story IMO, Chocolate is just a bit weird)

But others are good to great! Hackel's Tale, Imprint, Dance of the Dead and The Damned Thing (Tobe Hopper- Texas Chainsaw Massace), Incident on and off a Mountain Road (Don Coscarelli-Phantasm), Dreams in the Witch House (another ode to Lovecraft by Stuart Gordon who did, among others, Re-Animator), the aforementioned Cigarette Burns, Jenifer and Pelts (Dario Argento- Susperia), The Screwfly Solution (Joe Dante- Germlins), Deer Woman (John Landis- American Werewolf in London), etc. etc. etc.

It was unfortunately only 2 seasons (2005-6) and 26 episodes. It was made for cable and therefore didn't have the limitations that network horror series have so often been hampered by.

Joe Bob sez check it out!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previous mentioned old fuck includes me......I'll be 45 in a few months. November 7th to be exact.

I accept gift cards, Visa and MC. At this time I do not accept Amex or Discover.....Oh, I also accept v-cash......can't forget that.

We may have to start up a vCash fund for your geriatric clinic fees. :heh:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Chef99, are you really a chef or is that just your e-personality?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Chef99, are you really a chef or is that just your e-personality?

I'm a chef. I love to use a little apple cider vinegar when I'm making a bbq sauce, among other things. Not sure about its effect on goblins and the like, tho. ;)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Room (2016)

Thanks again @jakedog56 for the excellent rec! :suds:

This movie was pretty intense. As jakedog already pointed out, the direction, acting, suspense, and gore were all rock solid. The intensity of the movie was riveting. Something about the realism of this movie really makes the entire situation all the more suspenseful. Survival thrillers such as these hit a lot closer to home than say zombies, ghosts or aliens. I don't know from personal experience, but we know damn sure that there are groups such as these still in existence today. And we can only imagine the shady shit that goes down on a regular basis. The movie's progression is unpredictable, which is a great thing. Once you think the victims are down & out, they flip the script. I do agree that it was a little weird that the antagonists were taking so long to coordinate their attacks when they could have easily wiped them out. A couple more nitpicks, but I didn't care for how the ending sort of dragged out. It was great to see the justice served, but some of the actions left questions. Like why did the "Gabe" member not try to end them, instead opts for going to jail? (I'm sure they wanted it to seem like he wasn't invested from the beginning, but they needed to make it more obvious), or why did P-Stew turn and walk away? or why did they feel it was necessary to add the dog moments leading up to when it laid by its owner? Not to mention I'm fairly certain the victims injuries would have hindered them a lot more than what we saw. As in, wouldn't somebody have bled out? lol. Fairly odd writing towards the end, but nevertheless the film delivers. I'd definitely recommend it, as did jakedog!

Intense & realistic survival thriller!!! 8/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green Room (2016)

Thanks again @jakedog56 for the excellent rec! :suds:

This movie was pretty intense. As jakedog already pointed out, the direction, acting, suspense, and gore were all rock solid. The intensity of the movie was riveting. Something about the realism of this movie really makes the entire situation all the more suspenseful. Survival thrillers such as these hit a lot closer to home than say zombies, ghosts or aliens. I don't know from personal experience, but we know damn sure that there are groups such as these still in existence today. And we can only imagine the shady shit that goes down on a regular basis. The movie's progression is unpredictable, which is a great thing. Once you think the victims are down & out, they flip the script. I do agree that it was a little weird that the antagonists were taking so long to coordinate their attacks when they could have easily wiped them out. A couple more nitpicks, but I didn't care for how the ending sort of dragged out. It was great to see the justice served, but some of the actions left questions. Like why did the "Gabe" member not try to end them, instead opts for going to jail? (I'm sure they wanted it to seem like he wasn't invested from the beginning, but they needed to make it more obvious), or why did P-Stew turn and walk away? or why did they feel it was necessary to add the dog moments leading up to when it laid by its owner? Not to mention I'm fairly certain the victims injuries would have hindered them a lot more than what we saw. As in, wouldn't somebody have bled out? lol. Fairly odd writing towards the end, but nevertheless the film delivers. I'd definitely recommend it, as did jakedog!

Intense & realistic survival thriller!!! 8/10

Spot on! I was reading some on the movie and what I missed was that the other band (not the main band in the story) apparently witnessed the first murder and were poisoned by the skinheads? I will have rewatch it to see if that is the case. Irregardless of that, the drug lab below meant that they needed to get the bodies offsite and they wanted the crime scene to match up with the trespassing story and have the dogs chew them up there. So there are somewhat plausible reasons for the actions.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on! I was reading some on the movie and what I missed was that the other band (not the main band in the story) apparently witnessed the first murder and were poisoned by the skinheads? I will have rewatch it to see if that is the case. Irregardless of that, the drug lab below meant that they needed to get the bodies offsite and they wanted the crime scene to match up with the trespassing story and have the dogs chew them up there. So there are somewhat plausible reasons for the actions.
I don't recall the other band being poisoned? Were they the people in the room when the girl was murdered? Not sure when they interacted with the storyline. There was a flurry of happenings there for a while so I could have easily missed something.

The Daniel & dead chick story about leaving was oddly thrust into the storyline. And it was sort of pointless considering Dan switched sides for maybe 1 minute of the film? It would have fit better if they had Dan make more of an impact than he did lol. Come to think of it, the entire Daniel character subplot was odd. Like apparently he was going to frame P-Stew? Didn't make sense unless he was in some hot water already? That was a forced issue.

Also the big redheaded skinhead that supposedly murdered the girl... Why didn't he have a bigger part? Seemed weird that they made him out to be very mentally unstable, only to have his character disappear and very breifly get shown eating ramen noodles during the ending sequence? lol

Love how we both recommend the movie, yet here we are dissecting the shit out of it lol...

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a chef. I love to use a little apple cider vinegar when I'm making a bbq sauce, among other things. Not sure about its effect on goblins and the like, tho. ;)

upload_2016-8-5_13-34-52.jpeg

upload_2016-8-5_13-35-11.jpeg

upload_2016-8-5_13-35-24.jpeg

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I was hoping the one with Damon and Connery was real; I'd be watching it right now. :D

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a fan of Evil Dead/Braindead style comedy/horror and also a purveyor of Heavy Metal genres, I have been anxiously awaiting the New Zealand splatterflick "Deathgasm".

View attachment 79175

I am going to review this one in the style of one of my heros, Drive-in Movie Critic extraordinaire, and general god among men, Joe Bob Briggs!

Jason Lei Howden is an up-n-coming horror director who has been working as an FXs guy for the last 6 years on a crapload of big money Hollywood mumbojumbo like The Avengers, The Hobbit series mismashes, Ridely Scott's Prometheus, and The Great Gatsby. So his body of work does not seem to lend to Horror (despite Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on his resume) but he decided to go down to the hometown and hire a buncha redneck Zealanders to hackslay their way through bloodspewing demon hoardes on a budget of a couple of thousand dollars and create an instant cult classic splatterfest!

Basically, this grungy looking metal kid named Brodie who looks like he hasn't had a bath in a few years is tossed over to stay with his religious zealot uncle after his mom goes crazy on meth and is locked away in the nuthouse. To make things worse, his sadistic cousin regularly beats him like a government mule both at school and home. So he befriends a couple of D&D geeks, starts scrawling down metal sketch artwork, and gets itchy to get into his cousin's girlfriend's panties (she says her name is Medina. Have you ever met a Medina before? I don't believe her!) and do the sign of the two-humped camel.
One day he hooks up with Zakk while looking over Cannibal Corpse albums at the local record store and decide to form a deathmetal band with the two D&D geeks. Zakk is the alpha male of this little band of misfits and after throwing around abuncha standardly disgusting deathmetal bandnames he puts his foot down and tells the others that they are DEATHGASM (in all caps because small letters are for pussies!).

Things meander along for awhile. Brodie and the boys play metal, Brodie gets abused by his cuz, teachers are mean to Brodie because they are facist adults, Brodie's tongue drags on the ground while staring at Medina's hooters.

Soon enough, Zakk and Brodie break into a derelict looking house that belongs to former metal legend Ricky Daggers. There, they find Ricky laying in a pile of his own feces in a dark room looking like a male version of Courtney Love on a two week bender (he isn't zactly pretty). There is some yelling and eventually Ricky gives them an album and chases them out before a hitman arrives to give his arteries some fresh air. In the album the boys find some old music scrawled onto what looks like a used diner napkin. Of course they decide it will make a great DEATHGASM song. You can guess what happens from there.

'Nuff said about the plot: Let the metal mayham and bloody carnage commence!

Drive in movie totals:
*Demon-o-rama!
*4 breasts (nice tatas!)
*Lots of bleeding eye sockets
*Gratuitous headbanging
*Lots o' dead bodies. (I didn't keep an exact count. Let's say somewhere close to 100 if you include the posessed folks.) A pile of 'em!
*Nomination for best use of a power grinder
*Black dildo and anal-bead fu! (Don't ask.)
*127.5 gallons of blood.
*Heads roll
*Demon schlong weedwacking
*Intestines spillout
*Lots o' blood vomiting
*Satanists with swords chanting
*Chainsaw hands (ala Evil Dead)
*Gratuitous black metal makeup

Drive-in Academy Award nominations for:
*Milo Cawthrone as the sensitive deathmetal guy Brodie who chops off his cousin's head and says "No, he was possessed",
*James Blake as the general all around stereotypical metal jerkoff for betraying everyone a couple of times but eventually comes back in full black metal gear to hackslay demons with his chainsaw hands
*Danny Cresswell as D&D geek Giles for suggesting "Zombie Unicorn" as a band name and telling Brodie "Your alignments just don't mix. He's Chaotic Evil and you're Lawful Good"
*Delaney Tabron as the Satanist defacto leader for displaying an excellent set of breastiges before getting gutted
.......and last but not least.......
*director Jason Lei Howden for doing it the Drive-In way (and apparently getting ready to make Deathgasm 2)!

3.5 outta 4 stars. Jakedog sez check it out!!

Just got around to this, this morning. It was ok.... had its moments.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also watched

and binge watched the new series

I really liked the new series, and hope it gets picked up for a second season. Won't say anything more on it, as the series was just released a couple weeks ago.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also watched

and binge watched the new series

I really liked the new series, and hope it gets picked up for a second season. Won't say anything more on it, as the series was just released a couple weeks ago.

I am starting Stranger Things. Real good so far!

How was the They're Watching movie?