• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good premise.... could've been done better.

I am 4 episodes in. Ryder is doing very good as the unhinged mother. The kids are not doing bad for child actors. It is always risky with kids and they have generally not taken away from the feel with over the top or wooden performances. There have been a few weak moments but not too bad. I applaud the directors for this. They don't have a lot of top bill credits but they are handling the story well.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Viral (2016)

This movie took me back to The Faculty, but added its own realism & rawness to make the film its own. It was directed by the same guys that brought us Paranormal Activity 3 & 4. There have been many movies with the same concept as this one, but this movie was well executed. The cinematography, setting, and progression were excellent. It focuses more on the isolation and realism of what events may or may not unfold during a quarantine. Aside from the obvious character stupidity of dumb teenagers (daughters did the opposite of everything asked of them), the characters were well placed and the acting was pretty good! Didn't care much for the neighbor boy, but he didn't detract from anything. The relationship of the two sisters takes front stage as they encounter the worm and battle for survival. Those 2 actresses did a helluva job! The cgi/fx & gore were excellent. The neck scene in the bathroom was brutal! The storyline was a bit thin during some moments, and it sort of dragged for small stretches, but overall this was an entertaining film. I would definitely recommend it!

This movie made me want to duct-tape the back of my neck... 8/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Remains (2016)

Aside from this movie's plot being overly saturated in the horror industry, it had a decent build with a good performance by the dad. The supporting actors were all pretty awful. The oldest daughter's character was extremely pointless and equated to nothing more than eye candy. She was only placed into the mix so the director could include shower & sex scenes, of which even those were letdowns. The suspense was ok, but the scares were a little too spaced out so the movie drags as a result. I think it would have benefited from a more creative backstory, and more build on the main "demon" woman. You only get to see that demon once or twice before the climax, where essentially the demon does nothing but scream at you and possess your children. That was pretty dumb and I expected a lot better. IMO the climax fell flat on its face. Overall this movie was not worthwhile and it suffers from subpar writing and minimal budget.

Lackluster attempt at the demonic possession thriller genre... 4/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suffering (2016)

This movie had a very creative story, however the execution left a lot to be desired. The suspense was fairly good as the movie keeps you guessing, but it was a slow-burn & dragged quite a bit. The acting was pretty good as most of all of the characters added their own superstition to the progression. The cinematography & filming were solid. The overall atmosphere was pretty creepy leading up to a creative climax. Overall this movie had all the right elements, coupled with a great story, but it wasn't executed very well. They could have cut down on the prolonged mysteries and still gotten the same result, so IMO that would have been the better route. They tried too hard to incorporate the "7 deadly sins" with multiple sub-plot lines which ended up detracting from the film. More with less is what I always say...

Creativity on full display, but it drags... 6.5/10

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 4 episodes in. Ryder is doing very good as the unhinged mother. The kids are not doing bad for child actors. It is always risky with kids and they have generally not taken away from the feel with over the top or wooden performances. There have been a few weak moments but not too bad. I applaud the directors for this. They don't have a lot of top bill credits but they are handling the story well.

Finished it. I really liked it.

It was essentially a update mish-mash of Stephen King stories. Blend Firestarter with IT with predatory monsters instead of a psycho clown and you have it. So I can't exactly give them originality points even though it felt fresh.

I liked the hint about 11 still being out there. It would be great to see another season.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished it. I really liked it.

It was essentially a update mish-mash of Stephen King stories. Blend Firestarter with IT with predatory monsters instead of a psycho clown and you have it. So I can't exactly give them originality points even though it felt fresh.

I liked the hint about 11 still being out there. It would be great to see another season.

It was done as an homage to a bunch of the 80s movies. It sounds like if there's a second season they're going to continue the story. I was a little disappointed with that news. Like the way it ended and was hoping for an all new storyline if it continued.

Did get around to seeing As Above, So Below. Saw it mentioned here a few times. Really enjoyed it. One of the comments I saw on it that I like was, aka National Treasure: Book of Satan.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was done as an homage to a bunch of the 80s movies. It sounds like if there's a second season they're going to continue the story. I was a little disappointed with that news. Like the way it ended and was hoping for an all new storyline if it continued.

Did get around to seeing As Above, So Below. Saw it mentioned here a few times. Really enjoyed it. One of the comments I saw on it that I like was, aka National Treasure: Book of Satan.

LOL!

Good horror movie all around. I seem to recall that I liked the ending.

FaCe-LeE-uS gave it a short review wayyyyyyy back on post#3 (second movie reviewed) on this thread!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. The 80's influence was certainly in effect (particularly the music!) , but the Stephen King thing was quite direct. Usually such a direct lift from other sources would piss me off a bit but as an obvious homage and being done very well, for some reason I was ok with it.

Anyone else notice the John Carpenter style keyboards that kept popping up in the soundtrack? Another homage I presume!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. The 80's influence was certainly in effect (particularly the music!) , but the Stephen King thing was quite direct. Usually such a direct lift from other sources would piss me off a bit but as an obvious homage and being done very well, for some reason I was ok with it.

Anyone else notice the John Carpenter style keyboards that kept popping up in the soundtrack? Another homage I presume!
they pulled from many sources, but still made it their own to be enjoyed by everyone to get nostalgic about what they may have grown up with, the music included.

As a person that loved reservoir dogs when i first saw it, but then watched city on fire many years later, and felt Tarantino was a complete fraud, there's a line between homage and copying every scene. I appreciate Stranger Things, they provided the nostalgia, without the carbon copy.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on watching some scary movies this weekend.

:lol:
Yes, I know this comes as a shock to you all.