• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emma Roberts... So long as she doesn't play the angsty b!tch that she usually plays then I've got no problems with her lol. I thought she was good in AHS: 1984.
She seems to have moved out of that bitchy phase since she is now over 30(!!) She could end up with an interesting career arc.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She seems to have moved out of that bitchy phase since she is now over 30(!!) She could end up with an interesting career arc.
Agreed. AHS did a poor job of casting her for the most part. She does far better in prominent roles.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predator.

Sci-Fi Action or Horror. Go.
Action, then sci-fi, then horror imo.

Predator 2 has more of the horror aspects as does Predators, which I personally really like.

Unpopular opinion: Predators is actually a better movie Predator. Predator, still a great movie, wins as an all-time classic movie because of the cast.

predator GIF

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Action, then sci-fi, then horror imo.

Predator 2 has more of the horror aspects as does Predators, which I personally really like.

Unpopular opinion: Predators is actually a better movie Predator. Predator, still a great movie, wins as an all-time classic movie because of the cast.

predator GIF
I agree. I was having a conversation with a guy at work about horror films and he brought up Predator, claiming it to be horror. I said that it has some elements, but not enough to weigh it more on the horror side than an action.

Also, I don't think that is a terribly unpopular opinion. I do like the first one more, but Predators is easily second-best in my opinion.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell am I just now seeing this? This is the greatest scene I've ever witnessed.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell am I just now seeing this? This is the greatest scene I've ever witnessed.

You've never seen Darkman? Sam Raimi's "lost classic". His first movie after my fav movie Evil Dead 2.

The studio didn't know what to do with it so they ended up burying it. But it is definitely worth a watch, particularly if you are a Raimi fan.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a few that I watch.

Crypt TV has very good original material along the lines of the Short of the Week website that @FaCe-LeE-uS informed me of (short of the week also has a youtube channel but they have way more content on their website). Some really good stuff!

Most others are reviews and historian type stuff. Some I watch there are Doctor Wolfula and StitchedTogetherPics, both who do comedic character reviews (kinda similar to old school horror hosts?) and Dead Meat, who does full reviews with kill counts and such.

I periodically check out a bunch of others, but those are my personal favs.

The other ones I would recommend fall more into the "So bad, its good" genre who don't focus on horror but can often delve into it. However those are BAD horror movies so I don't know if they really apply here (but Zombeavers is a beloved flick in this thread so maybe they sometimes do?)
@Blackshirts BLVD .........and yourself? Any good youtube suggestions?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've never seen Darkman? Sam Raimi's "lost classic". His first movie after my fav movie Evil Dead 2.

The studio didn't know what to do with it so they ended up burying it. But it is definitely worth a watch, particularly if you are a Raimi fan.

I've been laughing over this clip for the last 4 hours.... No, I've never seen Darkman... and I'm willing to publicly shame myself for it...

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Blackshirts BLVD .........and yourself? Any good youtube suggestions?
I'm not subscribed to any. I watch movie reviews every now and again from Cinemasscre and Chris Stuckman, which led me to Cody Leach, Sean Chandler Talks About, and PossessedbyHorror.

I also really enjoy Cinefix videos as well. Cinefix does all genres. All of the others also do all genres, but have a bunch of horror and I know all of the others have specifically claimed Horror as their favorite genre as well.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently watched a really low budget H.P. Lovecraft adaptation called The Thing on the Doorstep (2014).

How I got to watch this is a bit weird as it was recommended by my bro-in-law who isn't a horror fan. I saw it had a 3.6 on imdb so I assumed he was trolling me. But then my sis, also not a horror fan, reiterated that they both thought it was very good. So based on that, I gave it a shot.

I should also note that I am a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft's fictional writings (not so much him as a person), so I definitely approach this with a strong bias.

So Daniel's best friend Edward marries Asenath, a woman whom has some questionable undefined occult connections and creeps everyone out. Ed and Az move into a run down house with Asenath's 3 weird family servants. Daniel has trouble contacting his buddy Edward, and when he does Ed is erratic, sometimes acting like a completely different person. Over time Edward begins ranting about how she is controlling him and taking over his mind. However Daniel's annoying psychologist wife thinks it is Edward who is abusing Az in some manner, and not the other way around.
This essentially continues for the run time of the movie with continued escalation of the strange behavior until things reach a head and fall apart.

The good:
*The narration, which is essentially lifted straight from Lovecraft's writings.
*Some actors were good. The main who played Daniel and narrator was the best of the lot.

The bad:
*Low budget hindered the production. I'm not well versed in film stock but it certainly wasn't shot on film.
*The slow moving plot didn't help it as I had trouble maintaining my focus on the gradual changes in the characters.
*Daniel's wife Marion, a character who was added only to make the viewers question if Edward might not be a good guy, is an annoying harpy.
*Changes in the story. The fact that it actually sticks to the original writings more than most of the Lovecraft adaptations is a plus, but it would have been better if they had eliminated the changes they did make.
-The main characters were just post college age in the original story, but are middle aged in this movie. I assume this change was made because they only had 1 really decent actor so they adjusted to fit his age?
-The writing delved into Asenath's family and explored the fact that her father was a black high priest of one of the Cthulhu pantheon gods. In the movie thet very briefly allude to something once.
-The original story was tied into the Cthulhu mythos. The movie just does it as a stand alone tale.

I can't recommend this one to anyone except some doing a really deep dive into the Lovecraft stuff.

4.5 out of 10, and that is with an additional half point for effort.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been gone for awhile, but now I'm back. Lol, this is nowhere near sheer horror, but it's a damn fine Monster Movie. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys took the time, how many of your top 10 ALL-TIME favorite movies would be horror?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched The Collection. I think the first one was a better movie, but this one was more fun. First off, I did not like that I could tell the Collector was a different actor right off the bat, the movement, the way he looked from what you could see, size, etc... The opening club scene... what. the. fuck. I have a hard time believing from the first movie that the Collector would escalate to something like that, but whatever it was crazy lol. He takes someone from every scene, but the hotel is full of people that are still alive in some capacity, how the fuck could he be doing all that or how long was he keeping those people there lol.

I liked that the protagonist from the first movie came back, he's a solid actor and it would have felt wrong if it didn't pick up where it left off. I noticed there was no mention of his daughter in this movie though, only the wife, I thought that was weird.

Solid gore factors, the fucking rebreaking of the arm to get the slider lock had me looking like this

5Dam.gif

This movie felt significantly different than the first and that kind of bothers me, but I could definitely see a continuation happen and would like to. Based on the ending maybe call it 'The Collected' and have it be a revenge maze of sorts, idk. Just think it would be neat lol. Speaking of the ending, once the two main protagonists get out and the guy walks over to the chests and finds the smoldering mask, I literally said out loud 'end it now' because I thought that would have been perfect. But it kept going and we got what we got, which was ok, but I feel like more could have been done with the series had it ended with the mask smoldering.

I don't remember what I gave the first one, but I will give this one a 5.5/10. Some sketchy acting at times (not from Stewart), some wonky scenes and editing, but it was a fun movie that paced fairly well.

Idk about anyone else, but I got a very distinct Resident Evil movie vibe, based on the story and events in how they unfolded. Anyone else get that or at least able to see what I am talking about?